Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
When a friend and I would get bored we use to rent Hasselblad equipment and play with shooting landscapes and architecture. Heard of them?
:D

Yep, large format right? Though I've never used them.
Recently gone digital too with a tiny 50MegaPixel monster...

7-07-08-h3dii50.jpg

There's a huge digital craze going on, every single person on the planet is jumping onto the bandwagon.
Meanwhile I like to get back to real film photography, capturing the moment and messing about in an hired darkroom,
experimenting... first, i need to find some time.

davidgrimm

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2006
North Texas
I don't miss film at all

I have shot film and now I shoot digital and I love digital. The ability to mess around with the photo and not with all those chemicals, timers, water baths and such. Its great. Also, I really enjoy the freedom to change speed for each different frame.

The downside is that cameras are now like computers - they go obsolete every couple of years. It used to be that a Nikon film camera would be useful for many years of use. Now, it seems that new cameras could out every couple of months...

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
I have shot film and now I shoot digital and I love digital. The ability to mess around with the photo and not with all those chemicals, timers, water baths and such. Its great. Also, I really enjoy the freedom to change speed for each different frame.

The downside is that cameras are now like computers - they go obsolete every couple of years. It used to be that a Nikon film camera would be useful for many years of use. Now, it seems that new cameras could out every couple of months...

Your moaning about the advancement in cameras.. what about our humble Mac? No soon a new model comes out, we get trolls requesting details about the next gen. Seriously.. If it's man-made and technology based, it's gonna evolve - happens in nature, just slower...

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I suspect when Jessica said "you're just kidding", she was responding to the idea that no one here would've heard of Mamiya before. There are at least a few folks here that shoot medium format on occasion (film, not digital as far as I know).

I shoot Medium Format film, purely for fun. I have a Mamiya 645 AFD III, but it just sits there until I get a hankering to go play around with it.

I want a 5D Mk II to back up my 1Ds II. I do NOT want 21MP though. 12-15 is perfect for the full frame sensor.

Yep, large format right? Though I've never used them.
Recently gone digital too with a tiny 50MegaPixel monster...

7-07-08-h3dii50.jpg

That's a medium format camera.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
That's a medium format camera.

Er... this is what happens when you don't read the previous entry...

QuantumLo0p was talking about "Hasselblad equipment", how he rented them to shoot landscape images... I thought they where Large format.. then i discovered the Hasselblad H3DII, a 50Megapixel Monster Camera by Kodak, as pictured above. It's not medium format, it's digital!! Google it..

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Er... this is what happens when you don't read the previous entry...

QuantumLo0p was talking about "Hasselblad equipment", how he rented them to shoot landscape images... I thought they where Large format.. then i discovered the Hasselblad H3DII, a 50Megapixel Monster Camera by Kodak, as pictured above. It's not medium format, it's digital!! Google it..

From Hasselblad's website on the H3DII-50:

Hasselblad said:
In addition to the increased resolution, the new sensor also provides the foundation for the development of advanced lens performance and optical corrections. By providing a true integrated DSLR experience in a Medium Format camera, the H3DII-50 enables photographers to combine the full benefits of professional medium-format digital capture with the ease-of-use found in the best 35mm DSLRs.

Not trying to be a jerk or anything. Medium format is just the size of the film or sensor.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
The 50D is a worthy update. I would be a bit pissed off if I was a 40D owner though, since Canon just blew away about 20% of my resell price, but such is life.

On another note, when is Canon going to kill off the 1.6 crop and give Canon shooters the sensor from the 1D? That seems to be the next step IMHO if Canon wishes to push the 50D and Rebels to the next step.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Do all of their lenses work on a 1.3x sensor? I know they don't all work on full frame...
EF-S lenses do not work on FF and 1.3x crop sensors. Unlike lenses for crop sensors from other manufacturers, EF-S lenses will damage the mirror. I'm fairly certain many third-party crop sensor lenses will work mechanically, but the IQ will suffer at the edges. Wide-angle lenses may even give you blacked out edges.

Col127

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2003
and i just bought my 40d in july. argh! :) biggest reasons why i'd want to switch is for the new LCD screen, the in camera lens correction & the huge upgrades in ISO!

Canon EOS 50D
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos50d/

Canon EOS 50D and 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 EF-S
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon_18-200_3p5-5p6_is/

:eek::eek:

Sample pics on flickr:
http://flickr.com/photos/fyngyrz/2793914907/sizes/o/
http://flickr.com/photos/fyngyrz/2794722216/sizes/o/
http://flickr.com/photos/fyngyrz/2793869341/sizes/o/
http://flickr.com/photos/fyngyrz/2794710082/sizes/o/

(update)
The EOS 50D will be launched here in Japan from September (next week)!
I'd imagine they won't be reaching state-side for a few more months.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Do all of their lenses work on a 1.3x sensor? I know they don't all work on full frame...

AFAIK all the lenses are either made for the FX sensor or the 1.3x crop of the 1D. All the L series work with the 40D/50D and so forth as well as the 1.3x 1D seres.

I could be wrong, but that's how I have done it when I did shoot Canon.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
AFAIK all the lenses are either made for the FX sensor or the 1.3x crop of the 1D. All the L series work with the 40D/50D and so forth as well as the 1.3x 1D seres.

I could be wrong, but that's how I have done it when I did shoot Canon.

All EF lenses work on all EOS bodies (includes MP-E and TSE lenses)
EF-S only work on x1.6 cropped sensor bodies

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
The 50D is a worthy update. I would be a bit pissed off if I was a 40D owner though, since Canon just blew away about 20% of my resell price, but such is life.

On another note, when is Canon going to kill off the 1.6 crop and give Canon shooters the sensor from the 1D? That seems to be the next step IMHO if Canon wishes to push the 50D and Rebels to the next step.
I am happy with mine, which is an upgrade to a XT. I bought it under a $200.00 instant rebate for $939.00, and also got another $50.00 rebate today from Canon. This second rebate was available for those of us who had another registered Canon DSLR. The 50D is nice indeed, but I plan to use my 40D for several years before I upgrade to a 60D or maybe 70D :) I used my XT for nearly four years before upgrading to the 40D.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't know what to make of this. Canon usually refuses to play "the game" because they've never had to, but now they're trying harder to react to Nikon's moves, as Nikon has taken a LOT of the lower-end market. I guess if Canon's name was still safely on top in the DSLR world, they'd be happy just having the 450D --> 40D --> 5D --> 1d-MkIII -->1ds-MkIII line-up. Personally, I thought that was a good line-up that didn't require tinkering.

Now they look like they're just playing the game a little bit better. They released the 1000D to compete more with the Nikon D60, and this new 50D just seems like a response that Canon has been preparing for in anticipation of the eventual D90 release. Canon were probably expecting a D90 closer to the 40D's release last year, but when they realized nothing was coming 10 months ago, they thought they should be prepared with an improved 40D and succumb to using a shorter update cycle this time. It's just my conspiracy theory, anyway. Canon probably realized that their 40D, which isn't very old, would look really bad sitting beside the eventual Nikon D90 if the specs were what they ASSUMED they would be: D300's sensor, live view, sensor cleaning, same ISO performance as D300, 3D tracking, HDMI like D300, and the same high-res LCD screen. Problem is that nobody would have guessed that the D90 would have 1080i video capabilities. Soccer moms don't care about gapless microlenses. ;)

When a friend and I would get bored we use to rent Hasselblad equipment and play with shooting landscapes and architecture. Heard of them?
:D

In my spare time, I've tinkered with building rockets for NASA. Hasn't everyone?

jv17

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
im sorry to say but im not impressed with the pictures..i guess you need to adjust it..

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
So Canon follows the 1dmkIII DEBACLE with the 50D. Yikes. I think the 50D refresh is pathetic. Canon is only catering to the pixel wars....and on a 1.6 format??!!? Nikon is really differentiating itself as of late with awesome products that have substance! Nikon is showing they are a *photographer's company* versus just a tech company (Canon). Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the 50D is a sweet cam, but just like the 20D thru 40D upgrades...one gigantic YAWN.

I do have high hopes for the Canon 5DmkII....we'll see. The D700 Nikon is extremely tempting. As you can surely tell, I'm seriously thinking of switching camps....Nikon is kicking some serious booty lately.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Nikon is really differentiating itself as of late with awesome products that have substance! Nikon is showing they are a *photographer's company* versus just a tech company (Canon).

I wouldn't say that.

I give credit to Nikon for staying away from the MP race. They make their own FF sensor (i.e. like on the D3), so they really could have increased the MP count as they knew the 5D was due for an upgrade. Instead, they went with 12 MP. Even if the 5D MkII increases the MP to 21 MP as rumoured, I hope the future D4 only has less than or equal to 16 MP. With technological improvements, it would still kill in low light.

If Nikon tries to go for MP rather than giving pros what they really want (namely, a good camera), then I'd lose a bit of respect for Nikon. I still like Nikon DSLRs better than Canon's, but I still do respect Canon (although less than Nikon ;) ).

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
So Canon follows the 1dmkIII DEBACLE with the 50D. Yikes. I think the 50D refresh is pathetic. Canon is only catering to the pixel wars....and on a 1.6 format??!!? Nikon is really differentiating itself as of late with awesome products that have substance! Nikon is showing they are a *photographer's company* versus just a tech company (Canon). Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the 50D is a sweet cam, but just like the 20D thru 40D upgrades...one gigantic YAWN.

I do have high hopes for the Canon 5DmkII....we'll see. The D700 Nikon is extremely tempting. As you can surely tell, I'm seriously thinking of switching camps....Nikon is kicking some serious booty lately.

Don't get too caught-up in the brand loyalty thing. Both Canon and Nikon compete heavily. In fact, they have done so for years and years, back to when the Nikon F series were kings. All of this competition can only help the consumer, unless one is blinded by brand loyalty. Just before the D300 and D3, Canon had the upper hand relating to low ISO noise, then Nikon leveled the field. Now we (the consumers) can hardly keep up with the technological advances from both companies. Our pockets is the limit :)

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Don't get too caught-up in the brand loyalty thing. Both Canon and Nikon compete heavily. In fact, they have done so for years and years, back to when the Nikon F series were kings. All of this competition can only help the consumer, unless one is blinded by brand loyalty. Just before the D300 and D3, Canon had the upper hand relating to low ISO noise, then Nikon leveled the field. Now we (the consumers) can hardly keep up with the technological advances from both companies. Our pockets is the limit :)

While I agree with this sentiment - you might want to go back and re-read the post to which you are replying. The guy's currently a (disgruntled) Canon shooter - he's thinking about switching to Nikon. It's not really a "this camera sucks because it's not from MY brand" post.

Sideonecincy

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2003
I ordered a 20d when they first came out and turned it for a 30d when that came out...I am trying to tell myself I don't need the 50d, especially when I am not using it to make money. It looks nice, but I could easily do the same work with shooting a XTI or some level of a consumer Rebel.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
While I agree with this sentiment - you might want to go back and re-read the post to which you are replying. The guy's currently a (disgruntled) Canon shooter - he's thinking about switching to Nikon. It's not really a "this camera sucks because it's not from MY brand" post.

Good points, but should we switch back and forth avery time one company decides to "Up" the MP count? Some folks want more MP, while others don't. For example, even my 40D is making my hard drives run out os space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.