Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Exactly! The 50D is nice and all, but really...at that number of MP you need a FF sensor.

You're just kidding right?

I dunno ... perhaps with current ( x0D ) technology, but Canon claims a new technology and LOWER noise then the 40D.

From DP Review
Canon is claiming that the new sensor's design (new manufacturing processes, redesigned photo diodes and micro lenses) mean that despite the higher resolution the noise is actually lower than the 40D, something we'll obviously be putting to the test when we get our hands on a production model.

I will wait for DP Review to do their thing with this.

I think going from 10 to 15 MP was a wise move, if they did it right it may shake up the competition.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I dunno ... perhaps with current ( x0D ) technology, but Canon claims a new technology and LOWER noise then the 40D.

It is possible that the noise could be lower, since that can be dealt with using clever electronics. The other problem, though, is diffraction - and there's no workaround for that unless you can change the laws of physics.

As pixel size gets smaller, the diffraction limit (meaning the smallest aperture you can use without having diffraction impact the sharpness/quality of your photo) goes down. On a 12 megapixel DX sensor, such as in Nikon's D300, f/11 is about the smallest aperture you can use and not worry about diffraction much. With a 15 megapixel DX sensor, that limit will be pushed down between f/8 and f/11. This won't affect portraits obviously, but it may affect some landscape or nature shots.

Additionally: the smaller the pixels get, the better your technique needs to be for truly sharp pictures. This one can be offset by shooting with a tripod, or by using VR-enabled lenses - but it's possible in-camera vibration (e.g. mirror slap) may be more of an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.