Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
If ATV+ is so small, what would it matter what Stewart said?

In fact, maybe the problem is that nobody actually cares what he says anymore, and his minuscule audience size was a reflection of that. It's not like he's Howard Stern, Joe Rogan, or Mr. Beast.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Apple doesn't have the appetite for a show that is going to inherently cause controversy and step on their considerable interests in China, most especially.

Frankly I'm surprised they tolerate cursing and sexual content on their other TV shows... might offend someone.
That narrative was destroyed by the first episode of See, starring Jason Samoa. Very violent and featured a scene depicting cunnilingus performed on the villainess. But I can see that no large company wants to get into politics openly. Look what happened to Bud Light. That’s why we have the Daily Show and HBO’s Bill Maher.

Reactions: -DMN- and mhnd

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
This is an over simplification. But, deep in Apple's DNA resides the opinion... the core belief, that people are stupid. And they need to go out of their way to route around stupidity.
Well, that (and greed) would explain why Apple keeps putting 8GB of memory in their base Macs while telling people that that 8GB of memory is analogous to 16GB and people will believe Apple. 🤣

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
No television show or host is guaranteed unlimited run or employment. Love Stewart, but it's called show and business.

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004

Well-known talk show host Jon Stewart today confirmed that Apple canceled his Apple TV+ series "The Problem with Jon Stewart" over content concerns. In a discussion with CBS Mornings (via Variety), Stewart said that Apple did not want him to "say things" that might get him into trouble.

problem-jon-stewart.jpg

Stewart's television show was canceled last October ahead of the launch of the third season, and rumors at the time suggested that he had run into "creative differences" with Apple executives. A report from The New York Times claimed that the disagreements were over some planned guests, show topics related to China, and topics related to artificial intelligence.

Stewart did not provide details on the specific things that he and Apple clashed over, but he has now validated the rumors over the reason why his Apple TV+ series was canceled. Such a high profile cancelation could impact Apple's ability to get similar hosts for future projects, as there could be worries over Apple's level of control. Stewart's show explored current affairs "problems" and episodes featured everything from news in the national conversation to issues that were part of Stewart's advocacy work.

Apple canceled "The Problem with Jon Stewart" ahead of the 2024 election year. Stewart has decided to make a return to "The Daily Show," where he will appear every Monday night through the election cycle. His first return show airs tonight.

Stewart was the host of "The Daily Show" for more than 15 years, and he stepped down eight years ago to hand the reins over to Trevor Noah. Noah retired last year, and so the series has been looking for a new host.

Article Link: Jon Stewart Confirms Apple Canceled Show: 'They Didn't Want Me to Say Things That Might Get Me in Trouble'

"Courage"

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
But they decided ... they felt that they didn't want me to say things that might get me in trouble.
I think he was trying to word it nicely. It's probably more precise to say that Apple didn't want him to say things that would get THEM (Apple) into trouble.

It's unlikely that Stewart would say things more controversial than what he had said in all the previous years. He was just fine weathering the controversies.

But then why let him have a show in the first place? Surely Apple knew who he was before this.

Last edited:

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
So he says. Like he said when it first happened. OF COURSE he gives a story that makes him look good, the brave hero journalist standing up for truth...

I'd be more interested in what Apple said. Supposedly on Nov 15 2023 they asked Apple to explain this by Dec 15. We have heard nothing since then. Which suggests there was nothing in Apple's response (just some graphs showing Stewart's declining numbers on Apple TV)... If there were anything even slightly problematic in the response you just know Congress would have leaked it.

• Angry
Reactions: Victor Mortimer

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
If Jon Stewart was really going to take Apple to task about China, why would he work for the company doing the thing he is presumably against?

Also rightly so for Apple to not want someone on their dime calling out their foibles, what business would? From what I have read the show was doing terrible in terms of how many people actually watched it, and I am assuming he was paid handsomely for his show. So shovelling millions into a show that no one is watching, seems like a no brainer to cancel it.

Reactions: Mighty Joe and mhnd

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
I guess Apple's support of free speech, human rights, and privacy only applies to the US. When they have something to lose, it's not worth doing anymore.
Straight up. It's a marketing tool, and one I fell for for a very long time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.