Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Apple ran out of courage.
Yeah, Apple prefers the “we made wireless headphones way less convenient to plug in so that you’re much more likely to buy our high-profit AirPods” variety of courage over the “China is committing genocide” flavor.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
I'm a big Jon Stewart fan, but honestly never clicked with The Problem with Jon Stewart. I tried. Could't get past the first couple of episodes.

The writing wasn't great, and the shows were long, rambling, and unfocused.
I think you and mostly everyone else felt the same thing from what I have read. First episode had 800,000 viewers, by the 5th they were down to 40,000 viewers. I liked Jon Stewart back with the Daily Show, nothing he has done since has really been on par with that and I think he is just basically riding that wave still as people hope he will be able to bring back that brilliance.

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
Apple doesn't have the appetite for a show that is going to inherently cause controversy and step on their considerable interests in China, most especially.

Frankly I'm surprised they tolerate cursing and sexual content on their other TV shows... might offend someone.
Chinese market isn’t a concern. The TV+ service isn't even available there.

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
Idea for a television programme…

Follow a bunch of weirdos with more money than sense as they stumble around in VR goggles…it’s a guaranteed comedy hit!

So follow Apple executives around as they stumble around in VR goggles…?

• Haha
Reactions: Morod

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's ironic, all of these "freedom fighters", yet when Apple exercises their *right* to not air something, they are the bad guys.

As a consumer, my tastes align with Apple's for the most part. Others have different tastes.

I fail to see the problem.

visualseed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2020
Apple should have never gotten involved in TV show and movie production, there were and are plenty of video streaming apps without Apple. Apple could have put the same money, focus and attention into AAA gaming for Mac and living room—the biggest gaping hole in Apple's ecosystems.
That's a weird take. Some of the best streaming shows I watch are on Apple TV. I have really stated to regard them as the new HBO. They may not have an abundance of programming but the quality and production value for most of it is really very good.

AAA gaming is a big market, but it's a rounding error compared to streaming media. Apple made the right bet.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007

Well-known talk show host Jon Stewart today confirmed that Apple canceled his Apple TV+ series "The Problem with Jon Stewart" over content concerns. In a discussion with CBS Mornings (via Variety), Stewart said that Apple did not want him to "say things" that might get him into trouble.

problem-jon-stewart.jpg

Stewart's television show was canceled last October ahead of the launch of the third season, and rumors at the time suggested that he had run into "creative differences" with Apple executives. A report from The New York Times claimed that the disagreements were over some planned guests, show topics related to China, and topics related to artificial intelligence.

Stewart did not provide details on the specific things that he and Apple clashed over, but he has now validated the rumors over the reason why his Apple TV+ series was canceled. Such a high profile cancelation could impact Apple's ability to get similar hosts for future projects, as there could be worries over Apple's level of control. Stewart's show explored current affairs "problems" and episodes featured everything from news in the national conversation to issues that were part of Stewart's advocacy work.

Apple canceled "The Problem with Jon Stewart" ahead of the 2024 election year. Stewart has decided to make a return to "The Daily Show," where he will appear every Monday night through the election cycle. His first return show airs tonight.

Stewart was the host of "The Daily Show" for more than 15 years, and he stepped down eight years ago to hand the reins over to Trevor Noah. Noah retired last year, and so the series has been looking for a new host.

Article Link: Jon Stewart Confirms Apple Canceled Show: 'They Didn't Want Me to Say Things That Might Get Me in Trouble'
How come when Stewart clashes over content and quickly finds a new home, it's no big deal but when a conservative voice is cancelled for saying things that "might get them in trouble", it's a free speech issue and the end of the world? Could it be that that liberal media isn't as interested in making news as they are just reporting it?

DaPhox

Suspended
Oct 23, 2019
Stewart? Controversial? Only
It's ironic, all of these "freedom fighters", yet when Apple exercises their *right* to not air something, they are the bad guys.

As a consumer, my tastes align with Apple's for the most part. Others have different tastes.

I fail to see the problem.
But of course you do. :D

• Disagree
Reactions: mhnd

cygy2k

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2005
Shocking, a modern global company not wanting to invite controversy. Logical and good move for Apple, was surprised when they announced his show to begin with.

Reactions: mhnd

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
Apple should have never gotten involved in TV show and movie production, there were and are plenty of video streaming apps without Apple. Apple could have put the same money, focus and attention into AAA gaming for Mac and living room—the biggest gaping hole in Apple's ecosystems.
I agree with your take on the TV/movie production. But I don't agree with the gaming for mac and living room. Gaming has and always will be a PC thing.

Gamers love adding and subtracting **** from their machines. That is not what Apple allows in 99% of the products they actually sell.

And in the living room, there are solid choices betwen playstation, Xbox, and Nintendo.

They would be trying to solve for a problem that is not broken. TV is broken yes, but their solution does not solve the problem. THe only thing that would solve TV is having a platform that sells individual channels that are already out there for $1-$3 a month. And that will never happen.

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
Apple doesn't have the appetite for a show that is going to inherently cause controversy and step on their considerable interests in China, most especially.

Frankly I'm surprised they tolerate cursing and sexual content on their other TV shows... might offend someone.
...but not China. That's all that matters for Cook. He'll bend over backwards to accomodate their smol pp energy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.