Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Callibo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2017
Germany
Hey. When I open my MBP 2016 with Touch Bar after a few hours there often are marks from the edges of the keys on the previously cleaned display (and keyboard). I've never used too much pressure on the closed MacBook. I find it really annoying since I always have to clean it again. Could that be a hardware error that the display and the body are too close to each other. Sometimes the MBP makes an odd sound as well when I open it after some time of not using it. It's also harder to open when this occurs. It sounds like display and body stick to each other. The spots are probably a result of my (usually not so) greasy fingers, but the marks on the display are very resistant to cleaning and I don't think that it's intended that the keyboard actually presses the fat from my fingers against the display.

Anyone some ideas or maybe experiencing this too??

Last edited:

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
There have been a couple other complaints about keyboard marks recently. Some people put a thin screen protector over the keyboard. I don't know how well it works. I don't know what else you can do about it other than what you seem to be doing already, wipe off the keyboard and screen before closing. If it becomes a big enough problem for you, and the marks are noticeable enough, you could probably return for an exchange.

You might be able to stop the sound when opening by cleaning the rubber gasket that goes around the edge of the display, and maybe the surface it contacts on the body of the computer. A slightly damp microfiber cloth would be best.

Reactions: Callibo

Callibo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2017
Germany
Thank you for the reply!
I don't think that the screen protector is an option for me. Doesn't sound as annoying as the full-time cleaning, but still a trade-off. Since the marks are very noticeable most of the time I made an appointment at the local Apple Store. Perhaps they do have an idea or will give me an exchange.

Callibo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2017
Germany
I have for a time, but not right now. I never noticed it back then and I used an additional sleeve to the laptop compartment. I have been using it at home only for the last two months.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Anyone some ideas or maybe experiencing this too??
Yes. My 2016 TB MBP does this and so has every MacBook I ever owned... MacBook Airs ... Retina MacBooks... you name it. The oils from your skin get on the tops of the keys then that transfers to the screen. You can either clean it all the time or get a real thin microfibre cleaning cloth and lay it in there before you close the lid.

I certainly would not exchange it over this. I'd be very surprised if the exchanged unit was not the same way.

j1104638

Suspended
Dec 26, 2015
Yes. My 2016 TB MBP does this and so has every MacBook I ever owned... MacBook Airs ... Retina MacBooks... you name it. The oils from your skin get on the tops of the keys then that transfers to the screen. You can either clean it all the time or get a real thin microfibre cleaning cloth and lay it in there before you close the lid.

I certainly would not exchange it over this. I'd be very surprised if the exchanged unit was not the same way.
+1.

Reactions: yey365

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah

Interesting. I've never had this issue, and it seldom gets complained about here. Maybe it depends on how oily the keys get.

Reactions: Weaselboy

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

That is the option that I went with. The cloth fits nicely in there and it's easier than having to wipe the keyboard off before every lid closure.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
On my '13 13", I recently had the screen replaced, because there was a small spot where the coating had chipped and a small ding in the glass. The Genious Bar tech suspected that maybe a key had impacted it a little during travel, because it was right about where the corner of the ; key is. I don't disagree with him. It makes me a little more wary of the low tolerances between keyboard and screen now, though.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I have one of the RadTech ones. I have seen some comments about the laptop not closing properly with it in place, but that definitely has not been my experience. Perhaps they have made a change to the design and made it thinner? Not sure.

Callibo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2017
Germany

This marks didn't occur before, even though I had it in my backpack. It has occurred for a month now maybe and I didn't change anything. I'm cleaning it the same way as I did before only that I don't travel with it anymore which shouldn't be the issue :D. I'll order this cloth from RadTech, but I'm still going to ask the Genius Bar for an additional opinion.
I thank you all for sharing your opinions :)

leo-nunes

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2017
Check out my "new" 15 Macbook pro 2016, purchased in January 2017.
Apple does not want to replace the screen.
Apple says this is my fault!
Unbelievable!
Apple, love is over!
Let's go to court to solve this problem.

Attachments

• IMG_0920 copy.jpg
    IMG_0920 copy.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22,589
  • IMG_0914 copy2.jpg
    IMG_0914 copy2.jpg
    863.1 KB · Views: 7,460
  • IMG_0921 copy2.jpg
    IMG_0921 copy2.jpg
    865.1 KB · Views: 25,378
Reactions: supermars

peraspera

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2016
Check out my "new" 15 Macbook pro 2016, purchased in January 2017.
Apple does not want to replace the screen.
Apple says this is my fault!
Unbelievable!
Apple, love is over!
Let's go to court to solve this problem.
There is a very good chance that you can get your screen issue resolved without needing to resort to legal assistance.

Call Apple and ask to speak to Customer Relations about an unsatisfactory experience at an Apple Store. Be impeccably polite but tell them that given the long and storied history of retina screen delamination issues that you feel that blaming the problem on you was both deceptive and insulting. Then ask for advice to how best to proceed to get your screen issue fixed as quickly as possible.

Customer Relations is generally quite good at solving these types of problems. However, if your efforts are unsuccessful email Tim Cook's office @ tcook@apple.com. It may take a couple of weeks to get a reply but Cook's office is staffed with people who work with customers to get these types of issues sorted out.

pixelatedscraps

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2017
Hong Kong
I always have this issue with my MacBooks. But I never baby them and they are always tossed into bags, sandwiched in backpacks, carried in hand between meetings, in wallets, sleeves, whatever you call them, and generally just do a screen wipe with a good LED cleaner and all is back to shiny, glossy newness after 30 seconds.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
This is a deal breaker for me as I'm looking for a replacement for my 2012 cMBP. My laptop is a tool for work which gets shoved in a bag several times a day and goes everywhere. I don't want to have to baby this thing whenever I pack it up and have to worry about damaging an overpriced, $4000 laptop. Laptops should be mobile and at least able to handle some wear and tear from mobile professionals.

JesterAZ

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2017
I always have this issue with my MacBooks. But I never baby them and they are always tossed into bags, sandwiched in backpacks, carried in hand between meetings, in wallets, sleeves, whatever you call them, and generally just do a screen wipe with a good LED cleaner and all is back to shiny, glossy newness after 30 seconds.
What exactly have you used that is a good LED cleaner?

leo-nunes

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2017
There is a very good chance that you can get your screen issue resolved without needing to resort to legal assistance.

Call Apple and ask to speak to Customer Relations about an unsatisfactory experience at an Apple Store. Be impeccably polite but tell them that given the long and storied history of retina screen delamination issues that you feel that blaming the problem on you was both deceptive and insulting. Then ask for advice to how best to proceed to get your screen issue fixed as quickly as possible.

Customer Relations is generally quite good at solving these types of problems. However, if your efforts are unsuccessful email Tim Cook's office @ tcook@apple.com. It may take a couple of weeks to get a reply but Cook's office is staffed with people who work with customers to get these types of issues sorted out.
[doublepost=1503687591][/doublepost]
Thanks for your help, it may be a good option.

Nick Milner

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2017
My 2017 MBP does this, but so did all the Microsoft Surfaces I used to have (and a lot worse). ;)

TofSanity

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2010

What cleaner would you recommend? I have the marks but not as bad as some. I have been using water, too afraid to try anything else.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
the problem with cleaner is that it doesn't clean some of these marks off. they're like permanent imprints.
only thing I can think of is to put the MacBook Pro into a rigid hardshell sleeve...only then will any applied pressure never touch the screen. a regular neoprene sleeve doesn't solve this issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.