Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
Its not necessarily you being rough with it.

As a laptop going in a bag with other items it can get extra pressure put onto it. Most bags either have the laptop section to the rear against your back which makes it a touch point or at the front where tension is put on the laptop from the straps top and rear which is why the keys press against the screen.

its not bad design as such all laptops do it your just better off putting a microfibre on the keyboard when you travel with it.

Reactions: SDColorado

MartinKoss

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2021
I bought this and I always keep it over the keyboard when the laptop is closed to avoid the keyboard marks on the screen and so far I haven't had a single one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N8PQS97/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to say "thank you" for this product link. I just ordered one for my new MBP 16 inch. The keyboard marks on the screen is something I've experienced with both previous MacBook Pro models (the old - last - 17" model and a 2014 15.6" model. Having just spent a small fortune on a 16" with 2TB hd, 32GB RAM, it was rather annoying to still get the marks on my screen so I am confident this cloth will be a great help.

Thank you.

lesliegolf

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2008
Southern California
Another resurrection! Thank you for this thread. Both monitors I had with my 2016 MBP had this issue. I travel a lot to busy locations with crowds of people (pre Covid and about to start happening again) and my only option is a backpack. I really don’t want my brand new 16 Max to have this problem again. I baby my gear but there is only so much you can do when you are in constant motion moving room to room multiple times a day (presenter)

Will be curious if the 2021 models will
continue to have this problem. Hopefully not.

dead flag blues

macrumors regular
May 13, 2011
Definitely grab one of the horribly expensive microfibers that you put over your keyboard before you close the laptop. My 2019 16" screen looks brand new, despite being lugged all over the place in a backpack.

Reactions: lesliegolf

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
Here's my tip. Get a microfiber cloth and when you use your computer place the cloth underneath or besides your computer, when you're done working place the cloth on top the keyboard. If you can't make it a habit maybe add a very thin rubber feet on either side of the bezels and that'll make a gap between keyboard and screen

lesliegolf

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2008
Southern California
My only concern with the microfiber is that it is too thick. I ordered a small pile of thin keyboard protecting / cleaning cloths off Amazon. Also got a sleeve so I can take it out of the backpack on airplanes and keep it with me (sadly my backpack sometimes is too big to be placed under the seat). I think a chunk of the issue has been very tight bins on small planes and dorks putting things on my backpack in larger bins.

So happy to run into this thread and get some education about why this is happening and some suggestions as well.

I also have that issue with the greenish mess around my 2016. Never knew it was a reported issue. I need to read the forums more often.

lesliegolf

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2008
Southern California
Here's my tip. Get a microfiber cloth and when you use your computer place the cloth underneath or besides your computer, when you're done working place the cloth on top the keyboard. If you can't make it a habit maybe add a very thin rubber feet on either side of the bezels and that'll make a gap between keyboard and screen
The clean freak in me can make this an easy habit. I bought extras thin microfibers that I can put in my backpack in case one or two goes missing in the shuffle of a busy conference day.

dead flag blues

macrumors regular
May 13, 2011
73F9ACDF-BC72-4B13-8A73-1BAEE4F40233.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.