Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ISKOTB

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2011
Florida
+1 here 2015/15" does it from day one...I can't justify them protectors!

Attachments

• 31tXQWXjPdL.jpg
    31tXQWXjPdL.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 785
Last edited:

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I just lost the screen protector that came with the Mac, it is so light I opened a window and the wind blew it behind the wardrobe, no way I'm trying to move it from there in order to retrieve the protector. I may get a new one from amazon but for now I'm putting an A4 sheet of paper over the keyboard and see if it helps.

Reactions: TofSanity

tomviolence

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2012
Didn't have this issue for one year of using my 13" 2016 MBP. Had it after a few weeks of using my new 13" 2017 MBP. Brought the 2017 one back in, they replaced the display, with no issues/marks so far.

Just to say, you can try to get this solved if it bothers you.

MDJCM

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2009
UK, South
I've had the 2009 MacBook Pro from new and carried it in backpacks for years. Literally never had this issue.

Design flaw of newer "trying-too-hard-to-be-thin" Retina MacBook Pros.

Give me a 1mm more thickness rather than a daily chore. My time is more important than showing off 1mm thinner device.

Reactions: buckwheet

leo-nunes

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2017
Check out my "new" 15 Macbook pro 2016, purchased in January 2017.
Apple does not want to replace the screen.
Apple says this is my fault!
Unbelievable!
Apple, love is over!
Let's go to court to solve this problem.

Update:

Decision settled in the Courts: Apple will have to replace the display of my MBP and pay me a $2000 compensation for the hassle.

Apple sucks!

LogiLink

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2016
Poland
You know these small soft cloths attached to the eyeglass box, thanks to them, I do not have any scratches on the screen. When I close the laptop cover, put a cloth between the keyboard and the screen.
I have MPPRO 2015,2016,2017 all of them baby with, small soft cloths :D
And it's all good ..

MDJCM

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2009
UK, South
I've been using the 'sheet of paper' method. Not glamorous but cheap and works for now. I'm worried a soft cloth might eventually "collect" some debris and end up squashed in there. The sheet seems less likely to do that after a shake.

LogiLink

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2016
Poland
Be careful with this ! The scratches on stiff paper can scorching you screen.
Small particles are falling into the material, checked and it works, my 2015 MBPro have screen like new ;)

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Update:

Decision settled in the Courts: Apple will have to replace the display of my MBP and pay me a $2000 compensation for the hassle.

Apple sucks!

How did you sue Apple and get them to replace the display?
There is a design flaw in the MBP b/c so many keyboards marks are present that aren't on other cheaper laptops.

Reactions: tal alfi

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
This has happened with every apple laptop product ive ever owned. Ive had the display replaced at least once on every mac ive ever owned.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
my 2010 unibody macbook it did not happen to.

my current 2012 macbook air it does but it my fault.
I have one those silicone keyboard covers and a screen protector.
So This is why thee are a few marks. but they rub off easy.

In my work place it better have these protectors than have a damaged mac.
I always fit silicone keyboard covers to my laptops.

MDJCM

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2009
UK, South
2009 MacBook Pro, still going, carried for years in backpack squashed against other things. Never ever a keyboard mark on the screen.

2015 MacBook Pro, marks within days of use.

The distance has definitely shrunk.

Reactions: unagimiyagi

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
hi bro! please contact me in alfital2@gmail.com !!
I'm having that exact issue and i want to sue as well! please contact me!
This may be able to be resolved under the "Staingate" repair program. "Staingate" is where the internal monitor of Retina MacBooks has the anti-reflective coating peeling or degrading. If you have a Macbook model that is listed under the repair program (see link), then Apple will fix this at no charge.

If the Apple store gives you issues, contact Apple Customer service and kindly explain the situation. Sometimes a softer approach goes a long way to helping you get the issue resolved (coming from a former retail manager). Just let them know you are aware of the below repair program, which will extend your warranty for 4 years from your original purchase date.

Apple Retina Screen "Staingate" repair program link: apple-extends-free-staingate-repairs

tal alfi

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2018
This may be able to be resolved under the "Staingate" repair program. "Staingate" is where the internal monitor of Retina MacBooks has the anti-reflective coating peeling or degrading. If you have a Macbook model that is listed under the repair program (see link), then Apple will fix this at no charge.

If the Apple store gives you issues, contact Apple Customer service and kindly explain the situation. Sometimes a softer approach goes a long way to helping you get the issue resolved (coming from a former retail manager). Just let them know you are aware of the below repair program, which will extend your warranty for 4 years from your original purchase date.

Apple Retina Screen "Staingate" repair program link: apple-extends-free-staingate-repairs

hi dude!
thanks for your response!
i will try the following!

sockdoggy

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2002
Brooklyn
When I was cleaning my screen recently I noticed 4 horizontal lines in the middle of my screen (MacBook Pro 13" TB 2017) that wouldn't come off with a micro fiber cloth. Each line is the length of a keyboard key.

I booked a genius appointment last week and the tech said it would be $650 to replace the screen (even though my MBP is still under warranty for another week) because Apple doesn't cover physical damage.

I kind of get it - the scratches aren't that bad or noticeable. I just wish they would've told me to put something on the keyboard from day 1. This is a $2k laptop!! (3.1GHz; 16GB RAM; 512GB SSD version.)

The tech put some notes on the appointment file saying scratches shouldn't get worse. So hopefully when they do get worse (because why wouldn't they?), I can get the display replaced with an expired warranty.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Hey. When I open my MBP 2016 with Touch Bar after a few hours there often are marks from the edges of the keys on the previously cleaned display (and keyboard). I've never used too much pressure on the closed MacBook. I find it really annoying since I always have to clean it again. Could that be a hardware error that the display and the body are too close to each other. Sometimes the MBP makes an odd sound as well when I open it after some time of not using it. It's also harder to open when this occurs. It sounds like display and body stick to each other. The spots are probably a result of my (usually not so) greasy fingers, but the marks on the display are very resistant to cleaning and I don't think that it's intended that the keyboard actually presses the fat from my fingers against the display.

Anyone some ideas or maybe experiencing this too??

My 2007 MBP had that issue but not the 2010 one.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
When I was cleaning my screen recently I noticed 4 horizontal lines in the middle of my screen (MacBook Pro 13" TB 2017) that wouldn't come off with a micro fiber cloth. Each line is the length of a keyboard key.

I booked a genius appointment last week and the tech said it would be $650 to replace the screen (even though my MBP is still under warranty for another week) because Apple doesn't cover physical damage.

I kind of get it - the scratches aren't that bad or noticeable. I just wish they would've told me to put something on the keyboard from day 1. This is a $2k laptop!! (3.1GHz; 16GB RAM; 512GB SSD version.)

The tech put some notes on the appointment file saying scratches shouldn't get worse. So hopefully when they do get worse (because why wouldn't they?), I can get the display replaced with an expired warranty.
Are the scratches straight lines from the keys themselves (I.e. not hairline scratches from the cloth you used)?

If so I’d contact Apple directly and politely explain the situation and ask that they repair it under the screen replacement program. It sounds like this is another instance of “Staingate” for which all retina models are subject to a four year extended repair program (from the day the laptop was purchased from Apple).

Link for more info: https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/17/apple-extends-free-staingate-repairs/

Reactions: sockdoggy

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
How desperate for “thin” is Apple getting when they do not allow for clearance between keyboard and screen?:mad:

I have not noticed this on my MBPro screens but would not like it for sure.

I guess one could get some thin adhesive cabinet door silencers. They are clear silicone and would stop the keyboard from closing too far. I would only apply them to the top corners of the screen and not near the hinges.

Last edited:
Reactions: kamilbolka

precision01

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2014
Hey. When I open my MBP 2016 with Touch Bar after a few hours there often are marks from the edges of the keys on the previously cleaned display (and keyboard). I've never used too much pressure on the closed MacBook. I find it really annoying since I always have to clean it again. Could that be a hardware error that the display and the body are too close to each other. Sometimes the MBP makes an odd sound as well when I open it after some time of not using it. It's also harder to open when this occurs. It sounds like display and body stick to each other. The spots are probably a result of my (usually not so) greasy fingers, but the marks on the display are very resistant to cleaning and I don't think that it's intended that the keyboard actually presses the fat from my fingers against the display.

Anyone some ideas or maybe experiencing this too??

I have this same issue. And I believe that the keyboard left some definitive marks on display, because I can't clean it anymore. Damm Apple!

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
How desperate for “thin” is Apple getting when they do not allow for clearance between keyboard and screen?:mad:

I have not noticed this on my MBPro screens but would not like it for sure.

I guess one could get some thin adhesive cabinet door silencers. They are clear silicone and would stop the keyboard from closing too far. I would only apply them to the top corners of the screen and not near the hinges.
It's most likely a combination of the reduced thickness as well as the anti-reflective screen coating that Apple has used since the Retina MBP release in 2012.
The old glass screens on the pre-retina MBPs were terrible for reflections on the screen. I never liked using them (my old one had the matte screen instead of glass.)

The coating on the newer 2016-2017 models (2018 is probably the same) seems more resistant to staingate issues compared to 2012-2015 models (IMO as they were very easy to get marks on). The new ones are still susceptible though which is why they were included in that link posted by Painter2002.

I just had the display replaced on my late 2016 15" MBP earlier this month. I've been using it in my messenger bag for the past 1.5 years and it wasn't until recently the problem became more pronounced (trackpad area and some of the lower area keys/spacebar). Since I got it back from being repaired I've been using the included black Apple microfiber cloth on that area when I travel with it.

dantroline

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016
Just noticed the screen gate problem on my late 2017 MBP 15in. Keyboard imprints and so on. So far a minor problem but if delamination starts up I'll get it replaced. Second time I've had this issue now. I've decided this year to migrate out of MacOS where possible and return to my platform-independent days. No more Apple hardware. It's too expensive and I have had more design related issues with these devices than I ever had with Dell or Lenovo (I never once have needed their customer service or repairs!!).

Artur B

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2019
I just noticed small permanent scratches from keys on my screen. No amount of cleaning makes them disappear. And this is after just 1 month of not so heavy use. I was really careful during this time. Really disappointing design. For some reason it reminds me of my first Acer notebook which had got stains on the screen just from opening and closing the lid (which was to flimsy). However Acer was 1/4 of the price of my current MBP. I am starting to worry that it will be my first and last Apple laptop.
Anyway there is a chance that "Flexgate" get it first, which will require replacement of the whole screen anyway ;).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.