Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DR3MCLAREN

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2021
Calgary Canada
Full grain leather, lifetime warranty, 99 day return policy, $45 case, free shipping on $35+. Ridge seems to have gotten it all right. I just can't justify another case.
Except for the branding on the back which is pretty ugly. I'd way rather have a bullstrap logo on the back than what Ridge did. Heck I think I'd rather have the Keyway X too.

T0MMYC

macrumors member
May 13, 2019
Except for the branding on the back which is pretty ugly. I'd way rather have a bullstrap logo on the back than what Ridge did. Heck I think I'd rather have the Keyway X too.
I wonder if it’s covered with the Apple wallet? No way that’s worse than the X that falls out and gets water damage underneath. But I agree with you. It’s a drawback for sure.

Reactions: DR3MCLAREN

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
Do you guys use any kind of conditioner on your leather cases? If so, what brand?

I've used a few different ones, Andar's own little pot is pretty decent stuff and lasts for ages.

Leather Honey is good but will darken the leather, and their cleaner can strip colour from some cases as well if you're not careful.

Bare Cases

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2021
It's a Bare Case which is nothing more than a $3.99 Aliexpress case that has been rebranded by Bare. Bare is the absolute worst place to ever purchase anything from. Avoid them at all costs.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and I'm truly sorry to hear that you've had a less than satisfactory experience with us. At Bare, we strive to deliver quality products and exceptional service, and it seems we somehow missed the mark in your case.

We take your feedback seriously and would love the opportunity to make things right. If you’re open to discussing this further, please reach out to us directly my dropping a DM here. We’re committed to learning from your experience and would greatly appreciate the chance to hear more about your specific issue.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We hope to find a resolution that restores your confidence in us.

Cheers!

Bare Cases

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2021
The customer service I received from Bare Case was terrible. No response to emails, extremely SLOW shipping and it was just a bad experience. The $56.00 Bare Armour case I received from you was the exact same case I purchased on Amazon for $19.00 only difference was the Bare logo stamped into the side of your case. 100% exactly the same case. See pic below:

View attachment 2372595

Thank you again for sharing your concerns.

We contract factories in China to assemble our cases to our exact design specification/tolerances. And with all companies who engage in business contracts with manufacturing plants in China, we're subject to the business landscape there which sadly for smaller individual companies like us, involves the "sharing", or to put it bluntly, leaking of product info/manufacturing techniques to other factories. Furthermore, it is difficult to enforce IP rights there. Copying is seen as flattery. Even our own website product images were also used without permission on AliExpress, and we're constantly fighting via legal channels to have them removed.

Anyway, we've dropped you a DM, so let's discuss there, and keep this thread back on the patina train.

Last edited:

scotsmandc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
IMG_3705.jpeg
IMG_3831.jpeg
25 days.. natural.

Chrisjaylv

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2021
Sadly to say, all of these premium leather case companies do this. They buy and source everything from china. And then they stamp their stupid logo on the case. When you can find the same exact case for dirt cheap.

Reactions: iFone88

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
Sadly to say, all of these premium leather case companies do this. They buy and source everything from china. And then they stamp their stupid logo on the case. When you can find the same exact case for dirt cheap.

I mean that's just manufacturing basics though... It's not really much different from Apple farming out manufacturing to other countries and factories etc. If it was that simple, you'd be able to find all of the cases on AliExpress, but there's nothing like the Nomad cases, none of the Bullstrap cases with their colour options are available same with Andar... They may get the same factories to produce them, but the leather quality, buttons, colours are all different and are unique to that company, sometimes sourced from their own suppliers etc.
The YMV cases are nice, but the camera rings are different, as are buttons and the leather often has nothing applied to it, so they're often very dry and unprotected. They also don't come in any packaging, or with any warranty.

The good thing is there are cases for all needs/wants and budgets on the market, and nothing offered by Apple that leather case fans can even buy.

Last edited:

Kobs

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2022
Well my second closed bottom bullstrap case is also suffering from the same issue my first did… the section above the port at the bottom is too weak and after a few removals, it snaps inside the leather.

They’re now sending me a regular open bottom as a replacement instead as I’m not going to even try a third.
The same thing happened to my torro leather case:oops:, it never happened to my apple leather cases

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Thinking about taking the plunge on the Satchel and Page case during their 20% off sale. Anyone still using this and what has been your impressions on it?

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
Thinking about taking the plunge on the Satchel and Page case during their 20% off sale. Anyone still using this and what has been your impressions on it?
It is a very nice case if an open bottom version is what you want, I just wish they had a couple more colour options...

It also marks very, very easily as it's a very soft, yet solid leather so expect quite quick patina.

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
It is a very nice case if an open bottom version is what you want, I just wish they had a couple more colour options...

It also marks very, very easily as it's a very soft, yet solid leather so expect quite quick patina.
Do you have a more recent pic of how yours looks after some time using it?

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
Do you have a more recent pic of how yours looks after some time using it?

I'll try and take some later on for you, no scratches have gone through the leather but it just seems to mark the surface quite easily but it's a very high quality feeling case, especially at a discount.

Reactions: alamperti

dnzfromh

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2024
Good Wilhelm "Bruno" iPhone Case 15 PM (open bottom)

DE brand, IT veg tanned Vacchetta leather (by Conceria 800, Tuscany)

Fit and Buttons: OK (power button slightly rattling)
Magsafe: OK
Pleasant leather scent

8f1d85e4f08de7e3a1c9e188fe08bee8.jpg

d6534cf0033927c3e363d98adb98a1f8.jpg

57c860e3115e838f414d98847f4677b8.jpg

9c713d2ece186cbd6dd084b4adaa617a.jpg
Good choice. I have that case as well
and really like it. But it got rather dark very soon so i kind of got bored. i may give it a try again. :)

Reactions: alamperti

scotsmandc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
I mean that's just manufacturing basics though... It's not really much different from Apple farming out manufacturing to other countries and factories etc. If it was that simple, you'd be able to find all of the cases on AliExpress, but there's nothing like the Nomad cases, none of the Bullstrap cases with their colour options are available same with Andar... They may get the same factories to produce them, but the leather quality, buttons, colours are all different and are unique to that company, sometimes sourced from their own suppliers etc.
The YMV cases are nice, but the camera rings are different, as are buttons and the leather often has nothing applied to it, so they're often very dry and unprotected. They also don't come in any packaging, or with any warranty.

The good thing is there are cases for all needs/wants and budgets on the market, and nothing offered by Apple that leather case fans can even buy.
The ymv I just posted above cost less than half of these brands you mentioned and it came with nice packaging. The leather this company uses is top notch with leathers many other brands uses. I would buy from again over these brands that charge 70+ for not much better or even same quality cases.

E92_M3

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2024
RYAN London cases are vegetable tanned and Bullstrap is chrome tanned. How can you tell the difference?

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
RYAN London cases are vegetable tanned and Bullstrap is chrome tanned. How can you tell the difference?

Chrome tanned under bright light has more colour differences generally which is why bullstrap use bright lights to do their marketing photography, are more resistant to water and are softer to start with.

Vegetable tanned softens more with use and starts off quite firm and rigid.

Neither is really better than the other, the quality of the leather is the most important aspect.

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
The ymv I just posted above cost less than half of these brands you mentioned and it came with nice packaging. The leather this company uses is top notch with leathers many other brands uses. I would buy from again over these brands that charge 70+ for not much better or even same quality cases.

I’m in no way knocking the case you bought, but it started off very dry in appearance, and it’s changed colour very quickly from new in a short space of time. Some might not want that.

What other brands use the same leather? As all I’ve ever found are brown, natural and black or some weird textured green and purple ones.

The tan/darker edge version I bought was nice, but it didn’t feel as premium as either the Bullstrap or Andar cases I’ve got. That’s just personal opinion obviously.

Plus people don’t always trust AliExpress etc… they want to buy from someone they feel they can trust and contact easily if they have any issues.

Ultimately as I said before, it’s just good that all tastes and budgets are catered for

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.