Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChiLLon

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
I also forgot to ask, have you personally purchased a lucky coin to justify your leather review or basing it on the web details?
Their website is supposed to market and sell their product, so how they present their own product should thus be the most one sided and questionable presentation possible. If they used good quality leather they sure as hell would shout it from the rooftops. But they aren’t, because they can’t.

Moreover, misinformation is sadly easily spread, especially when clueless people make reviews praising an item for its exceptional quality, when objectively the quality is of lowest possible level.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
Their website is supposed to market and sell their product, so how they present their own product should thus be the most one sided and questionable presentation possible. If they used good quality leather they sure as hell would shout it from the rooftops. But they aren’t, because they can’t.

Moreover, misinformation is sadly easily spread, especially when clueless people make reviews praising an item for its exceptional quality, when objectively the quality is of lowest possible level.

Except LuckyCoin don't have a website...

The information on Amazon is translated, so likely the term genuine leather they've used simply to convert the advert to English. The leather has natural imperfections, and is certainly not the lowest grade of leather I've personally used - and I've owned most on the market; Ryan London, Bellroy, Bullstrap, Andar, Keyway, Bandwerk, Wilken, Nomad, Mujjo, YMV and a few other lesser brands. The LuckyCoin is as good as any of the above, in some cases better in terms of feel in hand, patina, buttons and acurate cut outs, especially for the cost in comparison to the others.

Last edited:

Dan19

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2024
Hello,
I want to get a MagSafe wallet for my iPhone 14 Pro with a YMW leather case. Which wallets can you recommend?

ChiLLon

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
Except LuckyCoin don't have a website...

The information on Amazon is translated, so likely the term genuine leather they've used simply to convert the advert to English. The leather has natural imperfections, and is certainly not the lowest grade of leather I've personally used - and I've owned most on the market; Ryan London, Bellroy, Bullstrap, Andar, Keyway, Bandwerk, Wilken, Nomad, Mujjo, YMV and a few other lesser brands. The LuckyCoin is as good as any of the above, in some cases better in terms of feel in hand, patina, buttons and acurate cut outs, especially for the cost in comparison to the others.
My bad, I meant their Amazon product page. They do not have a website.

But if this is the case they should, for their own sake, get this fixed. If it simply is a translation error then they truly got unlucky with the translation for it to end up exactly with the term “genuine leather”. I feel top grain and full grain, even though English words, are known across the entire world.

Would love for someone to cut one up and do some tests on it with rubbing alcohol.

alamperti

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2009
Italy

I had no idea Ridge made cases. I wonder how it compares.

RIDGE Leather Case iPhone 15 PM (CB)

Oil-Waxed Full-Grain Tobacco Brown Leather
Fit and Buttons: OK (volume a little stiffer than average)
Magsafe: OK
Pleasant leather scent

e77898b698207832e84050ed400ec42f.jpg

f32184af4b0917fcfe6d857cb520185f.jpg

9f3b2c9be662c3dc503755b6d888d2f2.jpg

5239adb7a5bbdadb3460e606c43a1015.jpg

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
My bad, I meant their Amazon product page. They do not have a website.

But if this is the case they should, for their own sake, get this fixed. If it simply is a translation error then they truly got unlucky with the translation for it to end up exactly with the term “genuine leather”. I feel top grain and full grain, even though English words, are known across the entire world.

Would love for someone to cut one up and do some tests on it with rubbing alcohol.
I had a similar question a while back about Lucky Coin using the wording “genuine leather.” Did a bit of research and found that they specify using top-grain leather in other product descriptions (like the cases with card holders built in). It seems unlikely that they’d use vastly different quality leathers from one case to another, so presumptively it’s just simply an unfortunate omission in their regular cases listing.

Last edited:

ChiLLon

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
I had a similar question a while back about Lucky Coin using the wording “genuine leather.” Did a bit of research and found that they specify using top-grain leather in other product descriptions (like the cases with card holders built in). It seems unlikely that they’d use vastly different quality leathers from one case to another, so presumptively it’s just simply an unfortunate omission in their regular cases listing.
Top grain, also called corrected grain, is still bad for phone cases because it will not patina. Only leather where the very top most layer, full grain, will actually patina. Top grain will get dirty but it cannot patina.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Top grain, also called corrected grain, is still bad for phone cases because it will not patina. Only leather where the very top most layer, full grain, will actually patina. Top grain will get dirty but it cannot patina.
Well at least it's not the "bonded leather trash" you thought it was in your earlier posts, right? True, it's not full grain, but top grain isn't bad for the price they charge when you consider other brands with the same leather at 2-3x the price. 😉

And just fyi, while not to the extent of full grain, top grain leather can still develop patina.

ChiLLon

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
Well at least it's not the "bonded leather trash" you thought it was in your earlier posts, right? True, it's not full grain, but top grain isn't bad for the price they charge when you consider other brands with the same leather at 2-3x the price. 😉

And just fyi, while not to the extent of full grain, top grain leather can still develop patina.
All I ever had to go by was the information written by the brand itself. It still is not confirmed that their cases are made with top grain, but as you say if they use that for other products then the likelihood they use it for all is high. I have not checked out their other offering myself, I’ll take your word for it.

We’re all here for patina, let’s be honest. The “patina” top grain can develop doesn’t really qualify as patina when you consider what most people post here. People here are real patina nerds.

Surratt14

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2017
All I ever had to go by was the information written by the brand itself. It still is not confirmed that their cases are made with top grain, but as you say if they use that for other products then the likelihood they use it for all is high. I have not checked out their other offering myself, I’ll take your word for it.

We’re all here for patina, let’s be honest. The “patina” top grain can develop doesn’t really qualify as patina when you consider what most people post here. People here are real patina nerds.
Just curious chiLLon, what leather case do you personally use or believe to be of amazing “quality”, isn’t “massively overpriced” and can develop a “real patina”?

ChiLLon

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
Just curious chiLLon, what leather case do you personally use or believe to be of amazing “quality”, isn’t “massively overpriced” and can develop a “real patina”?
Personally I use Ryan London. They're decently fair priced and they can indeed develop a real patina, since it is full grain vegetable tanned leather. I do not however feel the quality is amazing, for the simple fact that the leather was dry as hell upon delivery and the cutout for camera housing is too big. Quality is good, but not amazing.

The only leather phone case I felt had truly amazing leather was ones from Carl Friedrik, made in italian vachetta leather. Their design however was god awful. They discontinued their phone cases. That leather though.. I have 2 briefcases and a wallet in the same leather.

Chrisjaylv

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2021
“Massively” over paying when I guess no one else does for the leather case of their choice? If this case is constructed of “glued leather scraps of dust” then consider me very sold because then I can’t even imagine what ingredient “apples leather case” consisted of in the 12-14 series run 😤! Thank you for educating me and everyone else on this forum. I suppose call me crazy but I’m happy with my “lowest grade legally sold leather case” ☺️ carry on. We’re all here for the love of leather. Weather it’s trash or not. #opinions. I also forgot to ask, have you personally purchased a lucky coin to justify your leather review or basing it on the web details?
Right?! And I have many bullstrap cases, Andar and Ryan London cases and to be honest the luckycoin quality is right there with them. So obviously bullstrap is “********ting,” the customers if they’re so identical. Hell I remember when bullstrap packaging stated full grain and their website said top grain. They don’t even know what it is cause it all comes from china where the suppliers are. But if someone wants to keep paying $90+ for the same product that’s up to them 😂. All I know is my luckycoin doesn’t have that gap at the port…just sayin 😉

Chrisjaylv

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2021
Im done paying extra for a stupid branded stamp. Why not pay a lot less without branding and it’s literally the same shell (form factor); and the leather feels and smells the same.

T0MMYC

macrumors member
May 13, 2019
Right?! And I have many bullstrap cases, Andar and Ryan London cases and to be honest the luckycoin quality is right there with them. So obviously bullstrap is “********ting,” the customers if they’re so identical. Hell I remember when bullstrap packaging stated full grain and their website said top grain. They don’t even know what it is cause it all comes from china where the suppliers are. But if someone wants to keep paying $90+ for the same product that’s up to them 😂. All I know is my luckycoin doesn’t have that gap at the port…just sayin 😉
Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think Bullstrap ever corrected the full grain/top grain controversy.

Reactions: mikext

DR3MCLAREN

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2021
Calgary Canada
Ridge has released leather cases today. They look exactly like the Ryan London case but much cheaper ($45).

Wish their branding was a bit smaller... or nicer looking. That branding ruins this case. I'm not against branding at all on leather cases for the record. I just wish they made their branding on this case a bit classier.

maxrest

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2021
Almost one week with the stone grey Aspen from Andar and I absolutely love it. Beautiful color and the case has a pretty low profile. Reminds me of the old Apple cases

Reactions: RRC

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
Just received my woodcessories aloe based vegan leather case… I’m genuinely impressed! It’s the first vegan leather case I’ve held that feels like actual leather!

Buttons and cut outs etc are all perfect as well which is nice.

17b53d7fb3c713364bf115ddc40c58d7.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hooterville

AnJarBo

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2014
Those of you who have a Satchel & Page case, could you please share some pics of how yours is looking after some use? Ordered mine a couple of days ago and I’m so excited for it to arrive!

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
Just received my woodcessories aloe based vegan leather case… I’m genuinely impressed! It’s the first vegan leather case I’ve held that feels like actual leather!

Buttons and cut outs etc are all perfect as well which is nice.

0b69ede2112a3be948149e075d2794df.jpg

I love the idea of woodcessories, but I can't shake the feeling that they're just better branded alibaba specials. Their older wood snap-on cases were also all over aliexpress and were exactly the same.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ

OtterBox has released their leather case. Does not seem to be in stores yet, but I would be interested in the hand feel of cactus leather.

Thanks for that heads up. Just got them in both Black and Brown today, both were in stock, and both look and feel great. Decent grip, tactile buttons, perfect replacement for the cancelled Apple Leather, feels like the finish will be more durable over time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.