Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Wow! Outstanding Episode 1. A cut above.

legion-fx-xmen-197201.png

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I'm here! Finally saw it (FXNOW), wow, yeah, that was pretty outstanding. Given the pedigree of the creator, I'm not surprised. Even Fargo took some surreal, trippy detours away from the very "grounded" story.

It's definitely not a typical "superhero" show.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm here! Finally saw it (FXNOW), wow, yeah, that was pretty outstanding. Given the pedigree of the creator, I'm not surprised. Even Fargo took some surreal, trippy detours away from the very "grounded" story.

It's definitely not a typical "superhero" show.

In prep for watching episode 2 tonight, I rewatched episode 1 which is rare for me. What strikes me about this show is how intriguing the dynamic story telling is. It's a real treat. Fingers crossed episode 2 holds up as well.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I inattentively watched most of the first episode initially while doing some other things and didn't really get that good of a vibe or a feel for it because of that. A few days later I set some time to actually watch it and found it to be quite good. Let's see where it goes from there.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
There's a podcast called The Watch, it's a terrific show in general (features Andy Greenwald and Chris Ryan who are outstanding) and Andy is a coproducer on Legion, so he has some very interesting (and spoiler free, assuming you're keeping up week-to-week) insight from the creative side.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Regarding David's demons, I'd normally say ok I get it, it's time to resolve this, but it's so good I'm not minding, although I hope they don't spend the entire season looking at his demon trying to figure it out, and he becomes more able to control his power. But getting his act together, may be season one. This is great story telling whichever way it goes. :)

Reactions: AlliFlowers

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Good. That show is incredible.

Agreed! Although I recently called The Walking Dead the best show currently on TV, Legion is the most intriguing by far. Everyone is great, Dan Stevens has been unleashed from his Downton Abbey straight jacket, ;) but Aubrey Plaza (as Lenny) has a real screen presence. This last episode 6, I'm trying figure out whose reality they are trapped in if it's David's or his passenger. :)

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I must say I was disappointed when this week's episode ended. I felt as though we were on the verge of something big, HUGE, amazing! And then the credits started to roll.
I felt the same, but this week's episode (Season 1 E7) was a huge improvement and we got a lot of information we probably needed.

MechaSpanky

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Great show, after watching the last episode of season 1, I can't wait for season 2! Did anyone notice the cool spaceship lamp that was on the nightstand when Syd was sleeping in his childhood bed? It was pretty cool and I wondered if it was a real product (it looked old, like from the 60's or early 70's).

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I haven't watched last night's episode yet (it comes on past my bedtime). ;) But I'm anxious to see it. Last week's episode was so amazing, I'm curious to see a) how they top it, and b) how they end the inaugural season.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Outstanding show, residing on the creative and intriguing end of the spectrum of television. Exciting, polished, what I would expect in a top notch movie thriller. And not your average Marvel mutant story. I'm probably going to watch these eight episodes again.

Aubrey Plaza as Lenny is wow! I can see her transitioning to movies if she is not already there. :)

You want an origins shocker? David's X-Men connection. :)

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: AustinIllini

MechaSpanky

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Huntn,

It's funny you mention that Legion isn't your average Marvel mutant story. I was telling a friend of mine about Legion. Both of us grew up reading the X-men (and other titles too) and thought he would enjoy Legion because I enjoyed it a lot. Interestingly, neither of us liked reading The New Mutants. I find Legion to be more of a thriller/horror story more than a typical comic book story and my friend likes the Walking Dead, so I thought this would be right up his alley. He watched the first 5 episodes and then stopped because he said it wasn't very good. So even if you are an X-men fan, you might not like it and as well, if you don't like comic book stories, you might like this one!

I agree, Aubrey Plaza is amazing in Legion. Her performance is incredible. I don't watch Parks and Rec but I happened upon it when I was channel surfing and I was surprised to see her there, and she looked very different, so much so I almost didn't recognize her. Was it just me or throughout the show at different times did they have hidden "X"' that looked like the X in a circle like the X-men logo?

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Huntn,

It's funny you mention that Legion isn't your average Marvel mutant story. I was telling a friend of mine about Legion. Both of us grew up reading the X-men (and other titles too) and thought he would enjoy Legion because I enjoyed it a lot. Interestingly, neither of us liked reading The New Mutants. I find Legion to be more of a thriller/horror story more than a typical comic book story and my friend likes the Walking Dead, so I thought this would be right up his alley. He watched the first 5 episodes and then stopped because he said it wasn't very good. So even if you are an X-men fan, you might not like it and as well, if you don't like comic book stories, you might like this one!

I agree, Aubrey Plaza is amazing in Legion. Her performance is incredible. I don't watch Parks and Rec but I happened upon it when I was channel surfing and I was surprised to see her there, and she looked very different, so much so I almost didn't recognize her. Was it just me or throughout the show at different times did they have hidden "X"' that looked like the X in a circle like the X-men logo?
It is absolutely the X-men logo.

MechaSpanky

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
So you saw there here and there too? I wasn't sure if I was seeing them or if I was just imagining them?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Huntn,

Sometimes you watch a character where the actor is so confident and talents are so attuned to their role that their performance becomes larger than life, they light up the screen with their presence and attain star quality. I also observed this with Natalie Portman's performance in Thor.

As far as your friend, I admit that I had an expectations problem about what this season was about, which I initially thought was fighting Division 3, the typical human vs mutant conflict, and even complained about the continued focus on David's demons (which turned out to be just one demon). However once I got with the program, (the demon is the story), I was good.

You simply don't see this kind of direction, talented editing, and cinematography in average TV. If you enjoy the subject matter, it's a visually fantastic treat to watch this.

I am dissapointed that the entire season is not available on demand through my cable company (Suddenlink), however it appears to be on the FX Now app.

Reactions: MechaSpanky
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.