Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
EDIT: This thread is now the place to discuss LWK and updates to it. :) Original thread:

I really like the Leopard-WebKit browser, but it seems to be having some problems. Getting a bit too old, I think. Anyone experiencing the bug on the MacRumors fourms where it takes you to the top of the page? You'll know what I mean if it's ever happened. It's very annoying! There are also many other glitches on MacRumors, and many other sites as well. I recently changed my default browser to TenFourFox because of all the issues Leopard-WebKit is having. So, here's the question: will there be any future updates? Thanks.

Last edited:

Hack5190

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
(UTC-05:00) Cuba
I really like the Leopard-WebKit browser, but it seems to be having some problems. Getting a bit too old, I think. Anyone experiencing the bug on the MacRumors fourms where it takes you to the top of the page? You'll know what I mean if it's ever happened. It's very annoying! There are also many other glitches on MacRumors, and many other sites as well. I recently changed my default browser to TenFourFox because of all the issues Leopard-WebKit is having. So, here's the question: will there be any future updates? Thanks.

There is a problem that the Download link and 'check for new version' in Leopard-WebKit don't indicate the latest / current version.

If you go to the main project page it shows the "Last Update". However the Download link does not link to the most recent version. To find the most recent version select "Browse All Files" then drill down (or use this link to find it) ;).

Edited on 1-Nov-2016 to remove date / version dependencies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lastic

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
There is a problem that the Download link and 'check for new version' in Leopard-WebKit don't indicate the latest / current version.

If you go to the main project page it shows "Last Update: 6 days ago". However the Download link is for v600.8.10_2, not the 6 day old version. To find the most recent version select "Browse All Files" then drill down (or use this link -> v602.3.3) ;).
Thanks! I'll try it, but is that actually an update of the WebKit version, or just a security update?

pochopsp

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2016
Napoli, city of sun and pizza!
Guys YOU HAVE TO DOWNLOAD the latest Leopard-Webkit build! It's version 602.4.3 from the last 17th december. It's fast, supports all the sites I've tried, it allows you to watch videos on facebook, youtube 360p in full screen (there's also the option for 720p) super smoothly!! I just don't need other apps anymore, since youtube works really fine in this awesome browser! I will just need PPC Media Center when I will want to see 480p videos or download 720p ones.

My Mac is a G4 MDD single core 1.25 Ghz, WITHOUT flash installed (facebook and youtube use both html5 players) on Mac OS Leopard with dashboard, spotlight and even dock magnification activated with a crappy Ati Radeon 9000pro, so I did not a thing to speed up my system. I was wondering how well it would handle 720p on a G5! :D

Last edited:

hellothere231

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
Guys YOU HAVE TO DOWNLOAD the latest Leopard-Webkit build! It's version 602.4.3 from the last 17th december. It's fast, supports all the sites I've tried, it allows you to watch videos on facebook, youtube 360p in full screen (there's also the option for 720p) super smoothly!! I just don't need other apps anymore, since youtube works really fine in this awesome browser! I will just need PPC Media Center when I will want to see 480p videos or download 720p ones.

My Mac is a G4 MDD single core 1.25 Ghz, WITHOUT flash installed (facebook and youtube use both html5 players) on Mac OS Leopard with dashboard, spotlight and even dock magnification activated with a crappy Ati Radeon 9000pro, so I did not a thing to speed up my system. I was wondering how well it would handle 720p on a G5! :D
Funny how I switched to TenFourFox from Leopard-WebKit yesterday, and now I've just found this. Just installed the new version, and you're right, it is rather fast; I might just have to switch back...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

This is good to hear.

I may install it as a secondary browser when I can get to it.

Unfortunately, until Safari/WK on Leopard will allow customization it's never going to serve as my primary browser. I will sacrafice speed for customization any day all day.

Reactions: sawpits and macmee

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
I tried the latest 602.x version from December.
Great to see, that GoogleDrive/Docs/Calendar etc AND iCloud do really (but slow) work!
One drawback: ClickToPlugin doesn't work - especially my most favourite option to download YT video for later viewing with CorePlayer. CPU runs at >70°C as well, even for 360p.
So I went back to the last 601.x version and I'm happy to get all benefits of ClickToPlugin back again.
Thanks to the webkit-developer, that access to all old versions is granted!

XaPHER

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
A LepWK 602.4.8 build is available since < 20hrs from sourceforge.

Personally I don't use ClickToPlugin anymore. I have plugins disabled completely. PPC Media Center does a great job of downloading YT videos.

I like safari's development menu. UserAgent strings, features toggle (javascript, etc). TFFx runs well on my maxed out FW800 MDD, but I kind of only use WebKit when on my iBook 1.33Ghz because it responds well even when on maximum powersaving performance settings.

Reactions: jbarley

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
A LepWK 602.4.8 build is available since < 20hrs from sourceforge.

Personally I don't use ClickToPlugin anymore. I have plugins disabled completely. PPC Media Center does a great job of downloading YT videos.

I like safari's development menu. UserAgent strings, features toggle (javascript, etc). TFFx runs well on my maxed out FW800 MDD, but I kind of only use WebKit when on my iBook 1.33Ghz because it responds well even when on maximum powersaving performance settings.

Thanks for the heads-up.
I especially like the part in the Release notes about "better performance"
With our older machines every little bit helps...
-------------------------------------------------------------
Release Notes
  • 602.4.8:
    • bug and security fixes from Apple's Safari 602 release branch
    • yet another stability fix for web font support (WebKit could crash when opening a popup menu that was rendered using a web font)
    • better performance on G5 CPUs; by accident 64 bit instructions haven't been used any more since the compiler switch to GCC 6.

XaPHER

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
I like the fact that there is such a community for PowerPC macs. Even though there is an architecture switch between 2005 and now, I find PPC macs are far more usable than PC's from the same date.

dustinschings

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2011
I know you said it disables ClickToPlugin but will it kill my ClickToFlash as well? How do I check the WebKit Version? When I am in the program and go to About Safari I get "Version 5.0.6 (5533.22.3, 602+)" Does that tell you anything? Do I need an update? I've been using PPCs for long time, but only recently switched to webkit for the amazing speed difference over TFF.

XaPHER

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
You should check in the get info window of your WebKit app.

If it's copyright 2015, then it has to be 600.

I think the problem with ClickToPlugin and webkit greater than 601 was about the safari built-in player for generic video players. In fact, when I tried the combination, that's the only problem I noticed. The "ClickTo" feature was working.

So, I think trying an update would be worth it.

val1984

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2015
Latest Leopard-Webkit build feels quite fast on a 1 GHz Titanium PowerBook G4 with 1 GB RAM. And Youtube works quite well in HTML5 mode 360p with Quicktime 7.7 (some dropped frames but totally watchable).

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Not too long ago, I picked up several pre-Unibody MBPs. Most were 3,1s and 4,1s, both of which can run El Capitan natively(and Sierra with a bit of work and sometimes a different WiFi card), but there was a 2,2 in the bunch.

The 2,2 had Leopard installed, and I've kept it for the time being for the novelty as I don't currently have an Intel Mac running Leopard(I will stick SL on it one of these days), and of course none of the mainstream browsers support it.

So, for the time being, I'm using LWK with Rosetta.

We're going to have Firefox 45 ESR for a little less than another year, and after that we're going to have to run either LWK or TFF on Snow Leopard as well.

PowerPC G6

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2017
The main "Download" button on the main LWK page now downloads the latest version. :) I remember, it used to download an old version and you had to go into files.

apict

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2017
I just tried to download the latest webkit 602.4.8_3 for my Macmini3,1 with OS 10.6.8. Got the download but when I tried to install it I got "Mac OS 10.6 is not supported. Nightly builds of WebKit are not supported on Mac OS X 10.6 at this time." (I have Safari 5.1.10)
Since it appears others with 10.6.8 have had success, what am I doing wrong?

Last edited:

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
When a thread is bumped, it is brought to the top of the forum list for no reason.

I can see no reason for quoting a post but not typing anything else.

Not trying to be critical, just pointing this out.

Btw, welcome to the forum!
[doublepost=1492458226][/doublepost]
I just tried to download the latest webkit 602.4.8_3 for my Macmini3,1 with OS 10.6.8. Got the download but when I tried to install it I got "Mac OS 10.6 is not supported. Nightly builds of WebKit are not supported on Mac OS X 10.6 at this time." (I have Safari 5.1.10)
Doesn't work on 10.6.8 anymore, sadly. :(

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Doesn't work on 10.6.8 anymore, sadly. :(
Beyond 10.5.8 there is no POINT in it working!

The whole idea behind Leopard Webkit is to upgrade the frameworks for PowerPC LEOPARD. Not Snow Leopard or above (10.6-10.12). They already have updated WK frameworks!

So, @apict, I am not surprised at all this is not working for you. You have Snow Leopard. Which means you have an Intel Mac and don't need it.

To everyone in general…what's with the confusion Snow Leopard users seem to be having around here lately? If you're running SL you DON'T have a PowerPC Mac! Anything Leopard is not going to work for you! I welcome early Intel Mac users (I have an SL MBP myself) but just how difficult is it to understand that there is a difference between the numbers 10.5 and 10.6?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.