Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Beyond 10.5.8 there is no POINT in it working!

The whole idea behind Leopard Webkit is to upgrade the frameworks for PowerPC LEOPARD. Not Snow Leopard or above (10.6-10.12). They already have updated WK frameworks!

So, @apict, I am not surprised at all this is not working for you. You have Snow Leopard. Which means you have an Intel Mac and don't need it.

To everyone in general…what's with the confusion Snow Leopard users seem to be having around here lately? If you're running SL you DON'T have a PowerPC Mac! Anything Leopard is not going to work for you! I welcome early Intel Mac users (I have an SL MBP myself) but just how difficult is it to understand that there is a difference between the numbers 10.5 and 10.6?
On the WebKit page, the description is "WebKit for OS X (Snow) Leopard"...

Reactions: eyoungren

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Beyond 10.5.8 there is no POINT in it working!

The whole idea behind Leopard Webkit is to upgrade the frameworks for PowerPC LEOPARD. Not Snow Leopard or above (10.6-10.12). They already have updated WK frameworks!

So, @apict, I am not surprised at all this is not working for you. You have Snow Leopard. Which means you have an Intel Mac and don't need it.

To everyone in general…what's with the confusion Snow Leopard users seem to be having around here lately? If you're running SL you DON'T have a PowerPC Mac! Anything Leopard is not going to work for you! I welcome early Intel Mac users (I have an SL MBP myself) but just how difficult is it to understand that there is a difference between the numbers 10.5 and 10.6?

A good clear, concise reply to clarify for a recent newbie (and others).

KawaiiAurora

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2016
Europa
A tad off topic but LWK hasn't been updated in a bit. It was being updated about every month. Oh well, it may be because WebKit 603.x is out so maybe we'll be upgraded to that.

602.4.8 is the version of Safari 10.0.3 so we're still quite up to date. Quite amazing when you think about it, supporting such an old OS.

Reactions: pochopsp

apict

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2017
"just how difficult is it to understand that there is a difference between the numbers 10.5 and 10.6?"

the increasing difficulties I've had browsing since firefox and others stopped supporting for 10.6.8 led me to search for options. Among the options recommended (OK, not by you, but by others) was the leopard webkit, which was said to work for 10.5 and 10.6. OK, so folks made a mistake. Thanks for pointing it out. But no thanks for being such an arse about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: AmazingHenry

KawaiiAurora

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2016
Europa
"just how difficult is it to understand that there is a difference between the numbers 10.5 and 10.6?"

the increasing difficulties I've had browsing since firefox and others stopped supporting for 10.6.8 led me to search for options. Among the options recommended (OK, not by you, but by others) was the leopard webkit, which was said to work for 10.5 and 10.6. OK, so folks made a mistake. Thanks for pointing it out. But no thanks for being such an arse about it.

FireFox 47 is supported on SL and I highly doubt that it isn't enough for your browsing habits. Try other browsers, switch to Linux or use Windows. Maybe it's time for an upgrade.

Reactions: AmazingHenry

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
OK, so folks made a mistake. Thanks for pointing it out. But no thanks for being such an arse about it.
I wasn't being one.

The last time I checked up on LWK it was Leopard only. It was pointed out to me in a later post that it was also for Snow Leopard. I didn't realize that so I offered my apologies in my response and I offer them here.

That said, it was later mentioned that it does not work in Snow Leopard even though it says SL is supported.

I stand by my criticism of those who are confused about the difference between Leopard and Snow Leopard however. Recently, we've have a few of those people in here in other threads. It's difficult to render assistance when the person you are trying to help believes they are using Leopard when they really aren't. All your suggestions to help don't apply because the person you are trying to help thinks "Leopard, Snow Leopard, big deal, what's the difference?"

Well, the difference is huge. One OS can run on Intel Macs and the other can't along with a lot of other differences between PowerPC and Intel.

I don't criticize lightly because for a lot of people it's just down to education. But those who can't be bothered to understand the difference I have no sympathy for. At this point in the PowerPC game there is a certain amount of knowledge that is required if you want to operate these systems efficiently and with limited frustration. Adopting an attitude of "Whatever" is not helpful and certainly won't give you a good experience but will definetely frustrate those trying to help.

Now I speak in general terms. A collective 'you', not you personally. I don't know you so my criticisms are not directed at you personally.

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
You haven't been one - One of the things I really like in the PowerPC forum is the friendly, constructive and helpful attitude everyone has. No insulting, no trolling. In the contrary, even apologies for being wrong. I very much appreciate that!

Good thing you never met zen.state.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Good thing you never met zen.state.
Zen's problem was that he always thought he was right, even when proved wrong.

The fact that he was often, but not always, right only reinforced his thinking. And because he knew what he was talking about he was often right.

His delivery, IMO, was what was most questionable. If you could get beyond the rough and direct delivery then his comments were often useful.

I always approached him with a question, instead of a comment. He was usually much nicer when he felt he was imparting knowledge versus curbing the insolent cub.

All that said, I'm not defending him at all. He had an abrasvie manner and it's understandable why people were often upset with him.

Then that whole blog website project thing blew up around here and he was gone. One of the reasons I don't usually get involved with those. It usually doesn't end well.

Last edited:

pochopsp

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2016
Napoli, city of sun and pizza!
New leopard WebKit update! After 4 months finally a new one comes out. I strongly suggest you to download it as it made my browsing pleasant again. With the ugly new YouTube layout I was not able to watch a video smoothly from the browser anymore, but with this new update, it is possible again. Try it and you won't regret it.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
New leopard WebKit update! After 4 months finally a new one comes out. I strongly suggest you to download it as it made my browsing pleasant again. With the ugly new YouTube layout I was not able to watch a video smoothly from the browser anymore, but with this new update, it is possible again. Try it and you won't regret it.

I'm not seeing any difference on my 17" DLSD and MDD Dual 1.42 - plugins still required for smooth Youtube playback or just use SMTube which blows the browsers out of the water.

Reactions: AphoticD

pochopsp

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2016
Napoli, city of sun and pizza!
So weird @Dronecatcher , my iBook 1.33 Ghz is even less powerful than your devices. Have you tried cleaning the cache? have you opened all the scripts included in the .dmg file? I do that every time there's a new webkit update (don't know if it really helps). Anyway my browsing is much smoother now, pages load faster and 360p Youtube is almost perfect except some microlags which happen once in a while...

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
So weird @Dronecatcher , my iBook 1.33 Ghz is even less powerful than your devices. Have you tried cleaning the cache? have you opened all the scripts included in the .dmg file? I do that every time there's a new webkit update (don't know if it really helps). Anyway my browsing is much smoother now, pages load faster and 360p Youtube is almost perfect except some microlags which happen once in a while...

Yes, every option used and caches flushed. Did you update from the last Webkit or an older a version - the difference might be more noted with the latter case?

Last time I tried (couple of months ago), both LWK and TFF played Youtube fine natively on the Dual 1.42 (as HTML5) but I tended to use plugins/SMtube for less stress....guess the site has upped it's requirements yet again.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
I'm finding myself hiding the bookmarks bar and adding Mail and Downloads icons to make the UI more akin to recent versions of Safari.

Frees up slightly more screen space as well.

Picture 1.png

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Wow, just wow! Youtube works again :D I really love LWK again (right now)

I'm really annoyed that my installations aren't as successful - I suspect it's something to do with a regional variation how content is delivered from my ISP :/

EDIT: However, Roccat 8.1 linked to LWK works fine on the Powerbook - not so much the MDD

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.