Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blockburner28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
New Orleans
I'm looking to buy a camera from bestbuy tomorrow and I need to know what are some decent ones I can buy from bestbuy. I want either a Cannon or Nixon. Btw I don't know anything about these cameras, but I need one asap :D

Is it better to buy bundles are just the camera and get the other items online for a cheaper price?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Digital-Cameras/Digital-SLR-Cameras/abcat0401005.c?id=abcat0401005

If yall don't mind can yall link me some good ones.

Thanks in advance

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ
I would suggest against buying from Best Buy, you'll find better prices other places online like amazon, etc. But if you absolutely must have the camera tomorrow then paying extra to have it that day might be worth it for you.

blockburner28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
New Orleans
I would suggest against buying from Best Buy, you'll find better prices other places online like amazon, etc. But if you absolutely must have the camera tomorrow then paying extra to have it that day might be worth it for you.

nah I don't need it tomorrow. How much can I save buying it online?

Cathode

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
Flagstaff, AZ
nah I don't need it tomorrow. How much can I save buying it online?

No offense, but you can easily answer that question yourself buy simply using the internet. Places like BHPhoto, Adorama, and even Amazon will be a cheaper alternative than Best Buy. Do a google search and compare prices on models that interest you side by side.

There are numerous brands, models, etc. when it comes to SLR cameras and it's not practicle to list a bunch of different ones for you. That's almost like someone asking: "I want a vehicle, show me which one to get". What is your price range, are you just starting out, what do you intend on taking pictures of? All these are important questions.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ
I'm not sure this is the camera you want but its what I have so I'll do my example on it. I bought my D90 with the body only but I had lenses from my first dslr, since your new to this I think I'd recommend getting a kit that includes a lens or two, maybe even a bag. But thats just my opinion! A Nikon D90 with a 18-105mm kit lens on amazon is $1032.98 and there is no tax online. Same kit at Best Buy is $1149.99 PLUS tax. A less dramatic example is the Canon Rebel T1i with a 18-55mm lens on amazon is $799.95 at Best Buy its $799.99 plus tax. Bottom line is decide what camera you want and search multiple online retailers and then compare the price to Best Buy and don't forget to add the tax! Also, if I were you I wouldn't limit myself to the cameras that Best Buy sells, there are many other dslrs out there that are great and are not sold at Best Buy. Do a google search, something like "beginner dslr" or something like that and read reviews of different dslrs. It might take you more than just tonight to decide, I wouldn't rush the decision when your talking about the kind of money that you'll be spending. Anyways thats just my two cents, I'm sure you'll get responses from people that are far more advanced than I am.

eninety88

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
just being honest, you can't just jump into the hobby without doing your research. If you're serious about the hobby, it takes time and a lot of money. If you have neither, lol, get a nice point and shoot: canon g10/g11 or s90 are great more-than point and shoots. Take it from me, i kind of jumped into the hobby, but luckily i work for a tech blog and my co workers helped me out with a bunch of the basics and on my own time and experimentation really discovered that it takes a lot practice and skill to be a great photographer. that being said, it also requires planning. You need to plan for lenses and accessories in the future. First you need the camera, a bag you can carry it around in, some memory cards, and some type of medium to store your photos in and edit them. Then you have to research your lenses. What and where you'll be shooting. a good starter, assuming you get the dslr kits and get the kit lens, plus a zoom lens 55-250, and then a 50mm 1.8/1.4 prime lens. Others would argue differently, but this is my opinion. then later on you can decide what expensive lenses you want. 24-135, 17-85.... blah blah blah.

blockburner28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
New Orleans
You guys are right. I posted this thread because I wanted to jump and get a camera tomorrow, I been saying I want to get a SLR Camera since my normal Digital camera broke a few months ago. I need a camera before feb 21st. My wife entered my 3 year old daughter into a pageant and we needed another camera.

My limit for a camera is 700 dollars and the reason I wanted to get it from bestbuy is because of the store warranty. I will mostly be using this camera for taking pictures of the family when we go places.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
J&R (http://www.jr.com) or you can go if you're in Manhattan is having an excellent deal on the canon XSi 450D this weekend. It's $470 and there's a president's day coupon to bring it down another $15. That's the best price in a VERY long time (because canon raised all their prices) and is a very good entry level DSLR (I'm a little biased as you can see from my signature). However, it is a great starter camera to jump into DSLR and you can get more if you like the hobby.

blockburner28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
New Orleans
J&R (http://www.jr.com) or you can go if you're in Manhattan is having an excellent deal on the canon XSi 450D this weekend. It's $470 and there's a president's day coupon to bring it down another $15. That's the best price in a VERY long time (because canon raised all their prices) and is a very good entry level DSLR (I'm a little biased as you can see from my signature). However, it is a great starter camera to jump into DSLR and you can get more if you like the hobby.

Thanks. I seen this same model from walmart with 20% bing cash back. I might look into it.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
You guys are right. I posted this thread because I wanted to jump and get a camera tomorrow, I been saying I want to get a SLR Camera since my normal Digital camera broke a few months ago. I need a camera before feb 21st. My wife entered my 3 year old daughter into a pageant and we needed another camera.

My limit for a camera is 700 dollars and the reason I wanted to get it from bestbuy is because of the store warranty. I will mostly be using this camera for taking pictures of the family when we go places.

Buy a camcorder and shoot video. The amount of skill and equipment needed to shoot well in most indoor venues where you're not in a press pool is likely to be above your budget.

Paul

kyzen

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Colorado
The Canon XSi (450D) is the best camera you're going to get for under $700. The price posted above is superb.

A close second would be the Nikon D5000. The only advantage it has over the Canon would be that it can shoot video.

Imho, Pick up the Canon XSi, an a "nifty fifty" - (50mm f/1.8 lens), and a Canon 270 EX flash.

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
in my opinion as being in that situation a few months ago, i would suggest the T1i, if it fits in your budget. and what people don't know is that best buy price matches..soo print out these onlilne store adds, and bring it to the store, be completely interested, and then just tell them you want to price match with what ever website.

it usually depends on how much the difference is, but if you really want the camera and don't want to wait..then i say that's the only option. don't buy the bundle either, cause you can save all that extra money towards something else.

the nifty fifty lens, would be a really good lens if you got the canon one. cause its almost 50bucks, but it does have a plasticy build quality. i have yet to try it out.

the T1i is a great camera, a lot of people are complaining cause the T2i is coming out within' a few weeks..but i just got mine probably last month and i'm not complaining. i think it's all in the photographer and its about the lens and just the vision you see in taking the picture.

i've seen amazing pictures from the lower models... just my opinions. :D

blockburner28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
New Orleans
in my opinion as being in that situation a few months ago, i would suggest the T1i, if it fits in your budget. and what people don't know is that best buy price matches..soo print out these onlilne store adds, and bring it to the store, be completely interested, and then just tell them you want to price match with what ever website.

it usually depends on how much the difference is, but if you really want the camera and don't want to wait..then i say that's the only option. don't buy the bundle either, cause you can save all that extra money towards something else.

the nifty fifty lens, would be a really good lens if you got the canon one. cause its almost 50bucks, but it does have a plasticy build quality. i have yet to try it out.

the T1i is a great camera, a lot of people are complaining cause the T2i is coming out within' a few weeks..but i just got mine probably last month and i'm not complaining. i think it's all in the photographer and its about the lens and just the vision you see in taking the picture.

i've seen amazing pictures from the lower models... just my opinions. :D

Thanks I will try to get the nikon 5000. I will see if I can find it cheap online so bestbuy can match it.

What is the avg. price online? the only prices I been able to find were like the same as bestbuy prices :(

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
Buy a camcorder and shoot video. The amount of skill and equipment needed to shoot well in most indoor venues where you're not in a press pool is likely to be above your budget.

Because quality video is so much easier to produce than quality still photos....??!

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Because quality video is so much easier to produce than quality still photos....??!

It's got more charm than blurred photos, at least for the family.

I'm of the opinion that people who don't know what they are doing (and don't want to get 'into' things beyond just taking family photos) can't go wrong with any DSLR on the market.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I'm looking to buy a camera from bestbuy tomorrow and I need to know what are some decent ones I can buy from bestbuy. I want either a Cannon or Nixon. Btw I don't know anything about these cameras, but I need one asap :D

Is it better to buy bundles are just the camera and get the other items online for a cheaper price?
Thanks in advance

Most people have focused on the body choice. Today's dSLR bodies, even the low end ones from Nikon / Sony / Canon are so good that any one will really do; especially if you are stepping up from a P&S. The only caveat I would add is if you buy a Nikon, some low end models (D5000? I'm a Canon guy so I don't follow N's closely) do not have in body auto focus, so some lens will not auto focus. Not a big deal; but something to consider if you plan to add lens.

The real variable is the lens. You are better off buying a cheaper body and better glass than the other way around. A quality lens will make a big difference, especially indoors as you are planing to shoot. You really need a fast lens or else you'll have focus issues (due to shutter speed) or need to use really high ISO settings with the added noise. I've found I need at least a 2.8 (or faster) to get decent shots. Don't waste money on a cheapo 70-300 zoom; you'll ultimately regret it. Good glass is an investment that will pay off for years - you can't redo that shot that didn't turn out. As a side not Canon's "nifty fifty" is a great lens for the price - but I doubt it will work at pageants unless you can get right up to the stage. You'll probably need something in the 200 to 300 mm range to get decent shots. If you plan to do a lot of pageant /indoor shots consider getting a prime (non-zoom) lens - the optics are generally better and the lens is cheaper than a zoom.

A good source for quality glass at decent prices is KEH (KEH.com) - they sell used equipment at reasonable prices. I've found their grading system to be very conservative - I've bought bargain graded glass that had no flaws that I could find. Check out their prices. I'd also stop by a photo site - i like Fred Miranda's (fredmiranda.com); reading through the forums and then asking about a combo you've selected, your budget, and the type of shooting you plan to do will illicit a lot of good advice. they'll also give good advice about what lens to consider.

Be sure to get at least 1 extra battery and a couple of large capacity flash cards. Nothing sucks like having a dead battery or running out of space halfway though an event.

I'd also consider a good monopod, such as a manfroto. They are more expensive than the cheapo BB/Kmart/WalMart models but will provide that extra stability needed to get good indoor shots. A decent one, with head, can be had for ~$100, or ~$50 without a head. You could probably get away without a head (A head adds tilt/pan/etc) since the subjects aren't moving a lot.

Finally, realize you'll get a lot less DOF (depth of field) with a dSLR than a P&S so focus is critical. A fast lens helps with focusing as well as enabling you to get shutter speeds fast enough to freeze moving objects. I'd practice shooting a lot before the pageant (indoors and out) to get a feel for the camera, what shutter / ISO / aperture settings work best, etc. A few hours spent doing that will pay off when the money is on the line.

Good luck, and remember that photography is an incurable disease that can only be kept in check by applying new glass and gear at an ever increasing rate.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

No, because low-quality video in low light beats low quality photography in low light at the same price point. For $700, you can get a video camera that will take family-footage acceptable results in poor light with enough zoom to be able to recognize the person from the 8th row of a poorly lit venue. To do that with a still camera takes a significantly more money for just the lens.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
One more thought - if you do order online, stick with one of the reputable shops. Some good ones are Amazon, B&H, Adorama, Canoga Camera (Canoga Park, CA). You'll find cheaper prices online but there are a lot of shady dealers who advertise low prices but either jack up the price with questionable add-ons or never deliver at the quoted price. Do a web search for "Brooklyn Camera Dealers" and you'll see what I mean.

If you want an extended warranty, the online stores sell them; although many credit cards double the manufacturers warranty anyway.

kyzen

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Colorado
and what people don't know is that best buy price matches..soo print out these onlilne store adds, and bring it to the store, be completely interested, and then just tell them you want to price match with what ever website.

Could just be my crappy luck, but I've *never* had Best Buy price match a website. I tried getting them to price match Amazon's XSi kit + 55-250mm IS lens bundle ($650ish total) last fall for my girlfriends sister, I thought I was going to be laughed out of the store :p

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
No, because low-quality video in low light beats low quality photography in low light at the same price point. For $700, you can get a video camera that will take family-footage acceptable results in poor light with enough zoom to be able to recognize the person from the 8th row of a poorly lit venue. To do that with a still camera takes a significantly more money for just the lens.

The problem is that video can't be printed and hung on a wall, turned into a book for grandparents, etc... It's simply noy a viable substitute for the most common uses of SLRs.

The OP wanted advice on buying a dSLR, not a video camera. While I understand your viewpoint that video is another solution; it probably doesn't meet his needs.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
The OP wanted advice on buying a dSLR, not a video camera. While I understand your viewpoint that video is another solution; it probably doesn't meet his needs.

I'd say that if the lighting is like most event venues I've seen, $700 of DSLR won't meet his needs either. As someone posted above, for most venues you need 200mm or better, and f/2.8 or better. I don't believe BB even sells a combination like that, and certainly not for $700. Since the OP doesn't have and hasn't had an SLR, they've got no idea of what to expect- and part of good advice is managing their expectations, not blindly answering a question. Heck, I've got tens of thousands of dollars worth of DSLR gear, and I'd still be thinking about renting a $200/week lens. $700 is a lot of money for the average person to spend to get blurry pictures.

Edit:

I'll give an example. I'm not an event photographer (I generally do fine art, portraiture and some product work,) but I'm pretty-well kitted out at this point. Last year, I was asked by a friend to take a few shots of a choir in the local cathedral. Despite having no lenses that weren't a fixed f/2.8 aperture and bringing along 3 AB800 strobes, I *still* had to have the video hot lights that they use for TV broadcasts turned on. I doubt they were more than a stop darker than most places that host amateur beauty pageants. Now granted, I had the run of the place, and if I'd not minded trying to reposition everyone and get my strobes into different positions, or if I'd brought my pack and head system I probably could have done it without the hot lights, but I'm guessing that parents of the contestants don't get that much access during the actual competition.

If he's lucky, the venue will be lit for TV- but that's a $700 gamble.

blockburner28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
New Orleans
I'd say that if the lighting is like most event venues I've seen, $700 of DSLR won't meet his needs either. As someone posted above, for most venues you need 200mm or better, and f/2.8 or better. I don't believe BB even sells a combination like that, and certainly not for $700. Since the OP doesn't have and hasn't had an SLR, they've got no idea of what to expect- and part of good advice is managing their expectations, not blindly answering a question. Heck, I've got tens of thousands of dollars worth of DSLR gear, and I'd still be thinking about renting a $200/week lens. $700 is a lot of money for the average person to spend to get blurry pictures.

Edit:

I'll give an example. I'm not an event photographer (I generally do fine art, portraiture and some product work,) but I'm pretty-well kitted out at this point. Last year, I was asked by a friend to take a few shots of a choir in the local cathedral. Despite having no lenses that weren't a fixed f/2.8 aperture and bringing along 3 AB800 strobes, I *still* had to have the video hot lights that they use for TV broadcasts turned on. I doubt they were more than a stop darker than most places that host amateur beauty pageants. Now granted, I had the run of the place, and if I'd not minded trying to reposition everyone and get my strobes into different positions, or if I'd brought my pack and head system I probably could have done it without the hot lights, but I'm guessing that parents of the contestants don't get that much access during the actual competition.

If he's lucky, the venue will be lit for TV- but that's a $700 gamble.

Thanks for all the info man. I mostly will be using the camera for family get togethers or trips to the zoo, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.