Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mst129

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2009
If you need an f2.8 prime or any other "pro" lens for a few days, keep in mind that there are places online that offer lens rentals. "lensrentals.com" comes to mind, and I think B&H rents lenses, too. (Most major lens rental companies offer lenses for all the major mounts - Canon, Nikon, Sony/Minolta, Pentax, and 4/3.) Whatever you choose to buy, remember, practice makes perfect! Get to know your camera's (and, for that matter, your kit lens's) capabilities. Good luck!

Edit: compuwar already mentioned the possibility of lens rentals. The prices can vary quite a bit, but there are quite a few places online that offer lens rentals, so I would suggest shopping around.

gødspeed

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Oregon
Can you wait until March? Canon is about to release the Rebel T2i for $800. It's looking to be a really nice entry-level DSLR, especially if you dabble in HD video.

blockburner28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
New Orleans
Can you wait until March? Canon is about to release the Rebel T2i for $800. It's looking to be a really nice entry-level DSLR, especially if you dabble in HD video.

I can but I dont' want to spend that much on a camera. I seen a Nikon D3000 for 399 with bing cash back and shipped from tiger direct? What do yall think about that deam?

gødspeed

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Oregon
The D3000 is a decent entry-level DSLR, especially for $400.

I'd take a look at this CNET article from a few days ago, and see which camera meets your needs the best: http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-6501_7-6553204.html

Remember that the prices they list do not factor in any Bing rebates that could apply.

edit -- another camera to consider that is not listed on that article is the Pentax K-x.

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
You have to factor in the cost of lenses and whatever other equipment you'll buy (memory cards, cases...). Otherwise, that price is good for the D3000.

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
Sometimes (maybe most of the time, depending on the person) it's nice to be able to look at the LCD instead of the viewfinder. Personal preference.

venusian

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2008
OP you should really look at a bridge camera, they're like a point and shoot but have a big zoom (so would be awesome for taking photos of your kid on stage) something like the Olympus SP590 Ultra Zoom, Nikon Coolpix P90 or a Canon Powershot SX1IS.

seeing as you're after a "nixon" it doesn't seem like you've done any research and dslr's require some effort/practice, especially in low light conditions (like a pageant), so seriously don't waste your money or miss that important kid moment.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
OP you should really look at a bridge camera, they're like a point and shoot but have a big zoom (so would be awesome for taking photos of your kid on stage) something like the Olympus SP590 Ultra Zoom, Nikon Coolpix P90 or a Canon Powershot SX1IS.

seeing as you're after a "nixon" it doesn't seem like you've done any research and dslr's require some effort/practice, especially in low light conditions (like a pageant), so seriously don't waste your money or miss that important kid moment.

Yeps i second that. even with an entry level DSLR you willneed time and practise etc. shooting in low light to get those wow pictures is not going to happen, not even with a bridge. you a) don't have time to learn how to handle them and b) you apparently have done no reasearch oknow how to shoot them.
If you don't like the viewfinder on a DSLR that's fine nowadays as most of them have live view but it drains the battery like crazy and it is usually much slower to shoot with it, especially zooming etc. (entry level dslr)

For 700 USD you would get a really nice bridge cam, a tripod and some memory cards. This will serve you much better for a while. Once you figured out that you want to continue with this hobby its a different story.

just my 2 c

//F

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
To me a bridge camera is the worst of both worlds; small sensor of the compact with the large size of the DSLR...

As an alternative to the bridge I'd rather look at some of the pocket zooms. I actually had the Powershot SX100 before and was really satisfied with it. Just about pocketable size if you have large pockets. (Though I'd look for an older model used now as I'm sceptical to the new 14MP Canon lineup.)

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I'd say that if the lighting is like most event venues I've seen, $700 of DSLR won't meet his needs either. As someone posted above, for most venues you need 200mm or better, and f/2.8 or better. I don't believe BB even sells a combination like that, and certainly not for $700. Since the OP doesn't have and hasn't had an SLR, they've got no idea of what to expect- and part of good advice is managing their expectations, not blindly answering a question.

We're actually pretty close in agreement about managing expectations - and I agree that venue photography is more challenging than most others giving the lighting and distance issues. I didn't mean to discount your advice, I just doubt a video camera would meet his still picture desires.

If all he wants is shots of his daughter prepping, etc; or can get near to the stage he probably can get by with with a low end dSLR. He seems to be fixed on Nikon so whatever their "nifty fifty" equivalent is would be a decent choice under those conditions. Quite frankly, he's probably better off getting a body and decent walk around lens and buying a DVD from the event photographer; assuming there is one.

One of the hardest things, yet key, is determine what the person really wants or needs to do; only then can you really give useful advice. Couple that with salespersons who convince people that a black body dSLR and 20 - 300 zoom will magically transform them into a pro and it's easy to see why people have unrealistic expectations of what they will be able to do with their new gear. My general advice is to by a cheaper body and spend the difference on a better lens; and then get out and shoot. Much of the technology is overrated - such as the focus on megapixels (IMHO) - and just confuses people and frustrates them when they don't get the results they expect.

BTW - I like your shot of the steam engine rounding the bend. Care to share any details?

-jlc

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
BTW - I like your shot of the steam engine rounding the bend. Care to share any details?

-jlc

Thanks! I think in that image it's actually backing up. The NPS runs a facility in Scranton, PA where they house, restore and run steam engines called "Steamtown." It's rather unique and they do tours of the shop where they strip the big locomotives down to the staybolts and repair them (scheduled maintenance needed by NTSB to run them) and restore some other engines though budget cuts have halted some of that. They do short trips pretty-much every week- maybe every day in the summer.

They used to do a ~100 mile round trip to the Delaware Water Gap twice a year. This was a significant undertaking, as they had to pay for access to I think three live rail lines to complete the trip. We had a car derail on the return to the station, so they didn't do it last year, but it looks like it's scheduled for this year. It fills up fast, so I'm probably going to see if there are any tickets left this week. There are also some mid-length excursions on the schedule. If you're a rail fan, or if you have kids in the right age bracket, I can't stress enough how cool the trip is. It's seriously a trip back in time. The smell of the smoke, the sound of the engine- the sway of the cars- it's an amazing experience, and I'd have easily paid 5x the cost and still thought I was getting a complete bargain. 98 miles, or whatever it is is quite a long way, quite a lot of time on the engine, and I'd probably start to wonder if it was 10x the current cost- but I'd probably still recommend it as a one-time thing. Steaming through the fall colors rocked. I hope to get on another trip to get some high-res shots with the D3x- worst-case though, I'll do what half of NEPA was doing and find a good spot by the track somewhere and get pictures. Crowds were out everywhere. Some guy even had a 1930's Dussenburg or similar car out following part of the route.

We had lunch in East Stroudsburg (pic of the Engineer was taken there- he's about as old as the engine!) Then on the way back, they stopped at a small station and dropped us off, backed the train up about a mile, and came steaming past for the photo op! Then they backed up, picked all the photographers back up and kept on (well, we had a few extra cars because of demand, so they *tried* to keep on, but the grade after the station was a bit much for the ~90 year old engine with so many cars, so we had to wait for a diesel to come pull us up the grade- it took a bit because of separation rules- which is why the 3 line traversal is expensive. Most of the time there were too many other people at the side of the track to get a great shot- but that one worked for me because since they hadn't started forward yet, nobody was really in my way.

Most of the folks at Steamtown are volunteers, not NPS employees. It's an anomaly in the NPS system- as it's the only place you'll ever see a volunteer in charge of park rangers. On a train, the conductor is in charge, period. It's NTSB rules. So the NPS rangers on any run are at the beck and call of the conductor, who's a volunteer.

http://www.nps.gov/stea/index.htm

If you're interested in a print, please let me know via PM- I'm changing hosts and I'll probably be offering interested folks discount coupons once I get everything up on the new site. I've got an 8x10 that's at the door when I come in, and it's a good printing image. (Anyone who wants to get on my less than one email a month mailing list that'll go up with the new site can PM me an email address- I'll be offering discounts and probably some shooting tips/tutorials once I get everything moved, which is supposed to happen in the next 45 days or so.)

Paul

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
Could just be my crappy luck, but I've *never* had Best Buy price match a website. I tried getting them to price match Amazon's XSi kit + 55-250mm IS lens bundle ($650ish total) last fall for my girlfriends sister, I thought I was going to be laughed out of the store :p

"Best Buy" won't match any online store. They wouldn't touch that deal for me as well. Shutterbug, here in Portland did! Couldn't believe it. They would match (they match B&H as well), but with 1 day shipping. Whatever, it was only $13.

I do a lot of my purchases over at fredmiranda on their B&S forums. Never EVER had a bad experience. I will buy used when i can.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I'm torn between the cannon xs and the xsi.
Either are good cameras. the main differences:

Megapixels: 10 vs 12 - no big deal. 10 is more than enough.
LCD: 2 1/2″ vs 3″ - No big deal.
Autofocus: 7 point instead of 9 point - 9 point is nicer; but 7 will do in most situations
Image processing: 12-bit instead of 14-bit - again, no big deal for the average user

Two features missing from the xs:

Spot metering - nice to have since it allows more flexibility in exposure
Highlight tone priority - improves highlights; at the expense of noise and is only available at some ISOs

From my perspective, the price difference in xsi is not worth it; especially at the entry level. For the extra cash you could get a nice flash which would make a lot more difference in the end results than the xsi's extra features.

I used a 300d and 350d for sports photography and was very happy with the results, the xs is more camera than either of those.

In the end; it's your money and your choice.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
I'm torn between the cannon xs and the xsi.

The other difference is that the LCD display is different and (in my opinion) better on the XSi and more functional. The live view is also more advanced but it's whatever your budget allows. They are both great beginner DSLR cameras and I feel I've never been limited with my XSi and am now doing some pretty advanced stuff. The truth is that at a certain point (and that point is reached with both cameras) you will be limited more by the lens and your knowledge base than anything else.

blockburner28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
New Orleans
Well guys after I took my wife to a valentines dinner, we stop at bestbuy(she was in a good mood) just to look at the cameras lol She look at the price of the xsi and xs then told me its no way we getting that we are not professionals so why do we need that etc.. I guess it was because I just bought a samsung led tv. I explained to her about the prices online and she said anything around 400 dollars is good, but nothing more :( I guess its back to me finding good prices on the Nikon d3000 and the Canon xs. Sorry guys and thanks again. I'm from New Orleans so mardi gras is in two days :( meaning I don't have alot of time to do research on the d3000.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
Bummer! That stinks.

But what you could always do is..

Buy the XSi (or XS, or D3000 for that matter), use it for 14 days, then return to BestBuy for a full refund, while in the meantime you get the shots when you need them, and have time to test out a DSLR in real-life usage, and you have time to evaluate and research the other cameras.

There is no restocking fee or punishment or anything, only thing to fear is your wife. :p

Source: I just got transferred from Customer Service to Computers (department wise), at BestBuy. I've worked there for over a year now.

blockburner28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
New Orleans
Bummer! That stinks.

Buy the XSi (or XS, or D3000 for that matter), use it for 14 days, then return to BestBuy for a full refund, while in the meantime you get the shots when you need them, and have time to test out a DSLR in real-life usage, and you have time to evaluate and research the other cameras.

There is no restocking fee or punishment or anything, only thing to fear is your wife. :p

Source: I just got transferred from Customer Service to Computers (department wise), at BestBuy. I've worked there for over a year now.
Thanks man! I'm a silver premier member :D 45 days for returns. I might try it out

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Bummer! That stinks.

Thanks man! I'm a silver premier member :D 45 days for returns. I might try it out

From bestbuy.com:

15% for opened notebook computers, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras, radar detectors, GPS navigation and in-car video systems

It'll run you about $75 test drive an xs

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I guess it was because I just bought a samsung led tv. I explained to her about the prices online and she said anything around 400 dollars is good, but nothing more :( I guess its back to me finding good prices on the Nikon d3000 and the Canon xs. Sorry guys and thanks again.

Either; within the limits mentioned above (need for fast lens are fine cameras. While people can argue back and forth over which is "better" the reality is both will do what you want within the limits mentioned in previous posts; i.e. don't expect its kit lens to shoot decent shots 30 rows back in a poorly lit venue. Since you don't have any investment in either systems gear, I'd go with whatever is cheaper; in the case the d3000 is $30 cheaper than the xs at Amazon. ($469 vs $499).

Just whatever you decide buy it at a reputable store; a number have been mentioned above.

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
Autofocus: 7 point instead of 9 point - 9 point is nicer; but 7 will do in most situations
One you missed was the extra AF sensitivity when using lenses with apertures of f/2.8 or larger on the XSi. Besides tech specs, there's also build quality to consider, where I've heard that the XSi bests the XS.

That being said, I have the XS myself and I'm very satisfied so far; got it used with the old kit lens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.