Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bcartwright86

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2019
You don’t have to buy it again as it’s still in your library.
It’ll probably still get the 4K upgrade but may take a little while before it happens.
But I don’t get the more than 8 hours of iTunes extras which I get with the 1st and 3rd film

Attachments

• CCCB984C-CD1C-4EFA-B2C5-B4853CF08B8A.jpeg
    CCCB984C-CD1C-4EFA-B2C5-B4853CF08B8A.jpeg
    242.7 KB · Views: 276

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
But I don’t get the more than 8 hours of iTunes extras which I get with the 1st and 3rd film
No but then you’ve not lost out as you’ve still got what you paid for.
Personally I’d wait it out and see if Warner Bros do upgrade both the resolution and the extras.
If they don’t then just wait for the next price drop if you really want to purchase again.

bcartwright86

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2019
No but then you’ve not lost out as you’ve still got what you paid for.
Personally I’d wait it out and see if Warner Bros do upgrade both the resolution and the extras.
If they don’t then just wait for the next price drop if you really want to purchase again.
Hmm. I still think it’s strange the theatrical version of the return of the king is 4K but the extended version isn’t.

TheDailyApple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2019
It looks like The Return of the King Extended Edition has now updated to 4K HDR

3BA70F83-8D42-4AC3-BC81-72019AB44429.jpeg

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
I re-watched Fellowship the other night after it got upgraded and the picture and sound are really spectacular. You can see how much love went into the remastering process. I'm also very pleased to see that for the first time we get all the extras in the digital release that were originally included with the extended edition DVDs. Now I can delete those old rips.

TheDailyApple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2019
I re-watched Fellowship the other night after it got upgraded and the picture and sound are really spectacular. You can see how much love went into the remastering process. I'm also very pleased to see that for the first time we get all the extras in the digital release that were originally included with the extended edition DVDs. Now I can delete those old rips.
I didn’t notice that it was updated with all the extras from the DVDs, that’s awesome!

Reactions: mallbritton

biffuz

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2016
Looks like I wans't the only one who watched all the extras on the extended dvds :D

After watching them, I bought travel books and fully planned a trip to NZ with a friend on all the movie locations, complete with travel and accomodation notes... and never did it. Anyone else?

One day...

Sartoria

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2015
Seoul, South Korea
It required me logging out and back in to see the upgrade to 4K HDR. Thanks to the person above suggesting that!

Only movie that hasn't been updated for me is The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey (extended edition), does anyone else have the same lack of upgrade for that specific movie?

I'm also really pleased to see that finally all movies now have English Subtitles, something that was missing previously (at least in the Netherlands).

Overall really happy, and once the first Hobbit Movie has been upgraded I look forward to going through all of them again!

pmap93

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2014
I bought the 'Trilogy Pack' and they didn't upgrade my LOTR films in my Library.

Though in the Movies/TV APP, it shows each individual film is HDR and 4K.. do I have to buy it again? :( or wait?

I'm from the Philippines.

Ebrahim Osman

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2020
Johannesburg
It required me logging out and back in to see the upgrade to 4K HDR. Thanks to the person above suggesting that!

Only movie that hasn't been updated for me is The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey (extended edition), does anyone else have the same lack of upgrade for that specific movie?

I'm also really pleased to see that finally all movies now have English Subtitles, something that was missing previously (at least in the Netherlands).

Overall really happy, and once the first Hobbit Movie has been upgraded I look forward to going through all of them again!
Same here. Everything else is 4K. Except the First Hobbit Movie. I even logged a call with iTunes support.

squidkitten

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Omaha
Is there any incentive to buy the disc set if our existing Apple purchases are upgraded? I did a quick skip through and definitely notice the color grading changes, but all the stills from reviewers look far more spectacular than what’s on my screen. Could be my display settings, but I feel I’ve done a good job calibrating. Would the 4K UHD discs in a 4K UHD player make a difference?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Is there any incentive to buy the disc set if our existing Apple purchases are upgraded? I did a quick skip through and definitely notice the color grading changes, but all the stills from reviewers look far more spectacular than what’s on my screen. Could be my display settings, but I feel I’ve done a good job calibrating. Would the 4K UHD discs in a 4K UHD player make a difference?
I think it really comes down to the equipment used to play and view the movie.

Apple TV 4K box on an OLED and 4k disc on an OLED will look fairly similar unless you are able to do quick back-to-back comparisons of the same scenes.

jonrosetyler

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2018
I bought the steel book trilogy and just redeemed the digital copies and everything was fine except that the theatrical edition of Fellowship has the artwork of the extended edition. Has anyone encountered this? I already tried signing out iTunes on my iPhone and iPad and it still shows the extended version artwork for the theatrical version.

04C213A4-A2B8-4317-B4D2-24CAA7A778C3.jpeg

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
I bought the steel book trilogy and just redeemed the digital copies and everything was fine except that the theatrical edition of Fellowship has the artwork of the extended edition. Has anyone encountered this? I already tried signing out iTunes on my iPhone and iPad and it still shows the extended version artwork for the theatrical version.

View attachment 1686994
That’s just how they are shown via the ATV app.
The ATV app is a mess for artwork as quite often shows the wrong one, there’s nothing you can do about it other than just put up with it until someone behind the scenes notices and fixes it.
Up until recently I had a couple of films that showed the Japanese artwork and the theatrical of Commando still shows the extended cuts artwork.

Pixerl

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2020
I don't get this... But just FYI, here's the situation in Germany, or at least that what it looks like using my German iTunes account:

Buying new, iTunes offers the movies today as:
- LotR all in HD only (maybe 4K only from Dec-17 with the official Germany release of the UHD discs)
- Hobbit all in 4K/D-Vision/D-Atmos.

I bought the extended editions of all six movies long time ago and last week some have been upgraded, some not and some partially (?):
- LotR - Fellowship is still HD
- LotR - Two Towers is now 4K/D-Vision (i.e. no D-Atmos)
- LotR - RotK is now 4K/D-Vision/D-Atmos
- Hobbit - Unexpected Journey is still HD (buying the 4K version (again?) was lowered today to 5,99 from 11,99, though)
- Hobbit - DoS is now 4K/D-Vision/D-Atmos
- Hobbit - BotFA is now 4K/D-Vision/D-Atmos

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
I don't get this... But just FYI, here's the situation in Germany, or at least that what it looks like using my German iTunes account:
Wasn't LotR a big distribution mess across several countries? That might explain why some stuff is still HD and other is 4k. As for no Atmos, not sure. Since you mention the German iTunes store, are you talking about German audio track as well or original english track? Could it be that the German track is simply not available in Atmos?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.