Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XmasRights

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2010
London
I had the same issue, where the entry in the store said to buy, even though I bought the HD versions.

Solved by:
1. Deleting them in the TV App (so hiding them)
2. Go to the account page to review hidden purchases
3. Unhide LOTR

It will appear back in your Library, but it will be 4K HDR Dolby Atmos (which one day I hope to be fortunate enough to see)

IT Troll

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2012
Edinburgh
I find that if I access the movies through the TV app they are listed and play in 1080p HD. But if I access via the iTunes movies app they are listed and play in 4K Dolby Vision.

Nice service integration Apple. :rolleyes:

-griffy-

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
I find that if I access the movies through the TV app they are listed and play in 1080p HD. But if I access via the iTunes movies app they are listed and play in 4K Dolby Vision.

Nice service integration Apple. :rolleyes:
Same for me. By signing in and out of the TV app, I was able to get them to be updated as 4K/Dolby Vision/Atmos in the TV app on MacOS, and in the TV app in iOS, but no dice for the TV app on the AppleTV.

Completely removing my Apple ID from the Apple TV and restarting the device still won't update the listing to 4K HDR in the TV app. The disconnect between devices, and between the discrete Movies app vs. the TV app is bewildering.

Trying to resume any of them in the Up Next on the home screen is a crapshoot of whether it'll give me the HD version or the 4K Dolby Vision version!

Reactions: IT Troll

TheDailyApple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2019
They’ll usually update all by themselves within a week or so if you’re patient.

PeterFitch

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2020
My LotR and Hobbit EEs also got updated to 4K here in Germany. Unfortunately both of the first movies of the two trilogies are still showing as HD. I am also seeing a very inconsistent listing. iOS TV app on iPhone showed all the titles as HD. Signing out and in again solved it, unfortunately An Unexpected Journey and The Fellowship are still in HD. All other devices (MBP, TV, iPad) showed 4 out of 6 as 4K. Weird. Hope this will solve itself over time.

Matt T

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2005
Australia
I emailed iTunes support because my extended editions are still showing as HD only, and I’ve been told to purchase the 4K versions if I want them. ?

82B4F914-C065-4100-B3A1-B2A8DB91CF9F.jpeg

Matt T

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2005
Australia
Sign out and sign back in? Otherwise, I would ask why they need to be repurchased when others don’t have to.
Signing out/in hasn’t worked unfortunately. I’ve asked iTunes support to explain - I’ll reply here once they respond.

Matt T

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2005
Australia
iTunes support have confirmed the copies of the extended editions I purchased were at some point removed from the store and replaced with different versions with different store IDs, and for that reason my purchases won’t be upgraded.

Attachments

• A4C8ED7D-9091-4F13-BF2D-7B726B0F0496.jpeg
    A4C8ED7D-9091-4F13-BF2D-7B726B0F0496.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 156

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
iTunes support have confirmed the copies of the extended editions I purchased were at some point removed from the store and replaced with different versions with different store IDs, and for that reason my purchases won’t be upgraded.
Give it time, Warner Bros are usually quite good a upgrading the previous listings.
Usually though you may miss out on any updated iTunes Extras but you’ll still get the 4K based on previous instances.

Matt T

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2005
Australia
Give it time, Warner Bros are usually quite good a upgrading the previous listings.
Usually though you may miss out on any updated iTunes Extras but you’ll still get the 4K based on previous instances.
This doesn't feel like a Warner Bros issue though, if the problem is caused by old/mismatched iTunes IDs?

I'm still pushing iTunes support and their most recent response was to say I should have backed up my original purchases - which obviously makes no sense for this issue. If their next response isn't helpful I'm planning to lodge a complaint with the Australian ACCC.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
This doesn't feel like a Warner Bros issue though, if the problem is caused by old/mismatched iTunes IDs?

I'm still pushing iTunes support and their most recent response was to say I should have backed up my original purchases - which obviously makes no sense for this issue. If their next response isn't helpful I'm planning to lodge a complaint with the Australian ACCC.
iTunes are just a storefront, contact Warner Bros.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.