Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Support Thread intended for this kind of technical discussion

I suggested a separate thread for technical discussions that really break the adventuring vibe in the adventuring thread. No one commented, so I started one. :p

Post 127 from the [DD] Thread Lost Mine of Phandelver

Portia dismounts from her horse, readies her crossbow and silently steps into the woods on the side of the trail. Claus hesitates before following her example, dismounting from his horse just as Veit lands next to him -- good thing he's small, Belaver thinks -- and they both go into the woods on the opposite side of the trails.

*** CHECK ***
Since the goblins are hiding in the woods, their stealth is +6. They have a dexterity of 14, which means a character would need to get a 20 on their wisdom check to spot a goblin.

Portia roll: 3 + 10 = 13 - failed
Veit roll: 5 + 19 = 24 - succeed
Claus roll: 8 + 16 = 24 - succeed
*** CHECK ***

And I've been reading some D&D documentation and have a question about this roll, asked for my own understanding, not to cause trouble or put our DM on the spot.
The above roll is described as a wisdom check. My understanding is that a wisdom check would be a Difficulty Class (DC) roll vs an Armor Class (AC) roll. It's very possible I'm missing some of the aspects of what a DC roll vs an AC roll includes. When you are the target of an attack, your Armor Class, ie Armor protection is the number that must be over come in an attack vs the difficulty of say trying to move a heavy object or bluff a NPC. That said,

Looking at the roll above, I'm assuming the second number represents the dice roll +/- the Ability modifier, there is a chart of Ability modifiers, I'll print it at the bottom of this post. My impression is that for a wisdom check, there would be a d20 roll +/- the ability modifier (for the number rolled) + the Wisdom rating for each character, with consideration for Advantage/Disadvantage (if this applies) to a group of people looking for hiding Goblins? Don't know about the last.

What prompted my question is our dear Portia, a L1 Halfling Rogue, that according to her character sheet has +0 wisdom. Viet our Cleric has +5 Wisdom, and Claus a Human Fighter has only +1 wisdom. I see a +5 listed for the Cleric, but I'm not sure what I'm seeing for the other two characters.

Are there Save Rolls involved in these numbers? What am I missing? Or have these numbers been adjusted in a later post? Thanks! :)

Difficulty Class (DC) Encounter Step by Step Description- This is as far as I've gotten...
*An encounter requires the roll of a a die(dice).
*Roll the d20 die.
*Advantage or Disadvantage? If there is Advantage or Disadvantage present roll the d20 die twice. With advantage use the highest number, with disadvantage, use the lowest number.
*Add the Ability Chart Modifier Using the number rolled, reference the Ability Modifier Chart and add or subtract the appropriate modifier.

Ability Chart Numbers- The first number is the Ability (die roll) score and the modifier is second number. My understanding is that although it’s a d20 die being thrown, the numbers go up to 30 to represent the max monster level, although I’m not sure at this point how that is facilitated.
1 (-5)
2-3 (-4)
4-5 (-3)
6-7 (-2)
8-9 (-1)
10-11 (-0)
12-13 (+1)
14-15 (+2)
16-17 (+3)
18-19 (+4)
20-21 (+5)
22-23 (+6)
24-25 (+7)
26-27 (+8)
28-29 (+9)
30 (+10)

*When Determining the DC: Add the appropriate Character Ability rating (modifier) for whatever is being tested (Strength, Intelligence, etc.).

Last edited:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
With all the numbers flying around, it's not hard to make a mistake but it all averages out in the end.

To spot something, it's a wisdom perception check. If you are not proficient in perception (black dot next to the skill), you would use the wisdom saving throw. The person running the game (DM) determines the DC (difficulty class) of the roll. In this case, the DC to spot the goblins was their dexterity (14) + 6 (stealth) = 20.

Portia is not proficient in perception and she has no wisdom save bonus so she probably should have had a straight D20 roll.
Velt is not proficient in perception so he would make a wisdom saving throw using his +5 bonus. The interesting thing is that if he was proficient, he would have used the perception skill bonus and only got +3 (i.e. something broken).
Claus is proficient in perception so he gets his +3 perception bonus instead of using his wisdom saving throw bonus of +1. I'm not sure where the eight came from.

Advantages and disadvantages only come up in certain circumstances and you DM will tell you when you have an advantage or disadvantage.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
With all the numbers flying around, it's not hard to make a mistake but it all averages out in the end.

To spot something, it's a wisdom perception check. If you are not proficient in perception (black dot next to the skill), you would use the wisdom saving throw. The person running the game (DM) determines the DC (difficulty class) of the roll. In this case, the DC to spot the goblins was their dexterity (14) + 6 (stealth) = 20.

Portia is not proficient in perception and she has no wisdom save bonus so she probably should have had a straight D20 roll.
Velt is not proficient in perception so he would make a wisdom saving throw using his +5 bonus. The interesting thing is that if he was proficient, he would have used the perception skill bonus and only got +3 (i.e. something broken).
Claus is proficient in perception so he gets his +3 perception bonus instead of using his wisdom saving throw bonus of +1. I'm not sure where the eight came from.

Advantages and disadvantages only come up in certain circumstances and you DM will tell you when you have an advantage or disadvantage.

Thanks for the reply!

Making Heads or Tails out of the Character Sheet
THE PARTY: Character Sheets (PDF)
Ref: DM Assistance: Character Sheet Instructions

Questions:
  • What determines the Proficiency Bonus?
  • Do different skills have different levels to become proficient? I'm noticing the dwarf is proficient at +2 Religion (Int), but is not proficient at +3 Perception (Wis).

Equipment- FYI there are 5 rectangular boxes in this section with the labels CP, SP, EP, GP, & PP. This represents treasure the character possesses. CP= Copper Pieces, SP= Silver, EP= Electrum, GP= Gol, & PP = Platinum. This dwarf has 10 Gold.

The dwarf has chain mail and a Shield. The chain mail grants a Disadvantage on any "Dexterity (Stealth)" checks. I assume the armor rating of 18 is based both on the chain mail, and the shield. However his hit points are 11 which is health. When a character is attacked, must the armor value (in this case 18) be wittled down to 11 before the dwarf starts taking damage?

Trying to figure out how abilities add up
(using Wisdom as an example):
  • On the left side of the Character sheets are Abilities such as Wisdom +3.
  • If I run down the list of wisdom based skills they all have 3s I assume based on having +3 Wisdom, except for medicine which is +5. Is the extra 2 something that would be added in the character creation process which we skipped (using premade character sheets)?
  • What does the 16 (little number in the oval) represent? If I go down the skill list and add all of the skills that are wisdom based, I come up with 17, so that's not it.

Dwarf Cleric Character Sheet Level 1
+2 Proficiency Bonus
18 Armor
-1 Initiative
25feet Speed

Abilities/
Saving Throws

+2 Strength
-1 Dexterity
+2 Constitution
+0 Intelligence
+5 Wisdom
+3 Charisma

Skills Grouped (Proficient skills are bolded)
-1 Acrobatics (Dex)
-1 Slight of Hand (Dex)
-1 Stealth (Dex)- see equipment

+1 Deception (Cha)
+3 Intimidation (Cha)
+1 Performance (Cha)
+1 Persuasion (Cha)

+0 Arcania (Int)
+0 History (Int)
+0 Investigation (Int)
+0 Nature (Int)
+2 Religion (Int)

+4 Athletics (Str)

+3 Animal Handling (Wis)
+3 Insight (Wis)
+5 Medicine (Wis)
+3 Perception (Wis)
+3 Survival (Wis)

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
When a character is attacked, must the armor value (in this case 18) be wittled down to 11 before the dwarf starts taking damage?

I think I can answer that one! :D

In case you get attacked the attacking person will have to overcome your AC (armor class) with a D20. Adding or distracting a bonus or penalty too eventually (because they're hiding they get a bonus on their attack I believe). So 18 is pretty awesome. It won't get reduced though (except by spells or sth. similiar) so when the first attack was succesfull but you are still alive the following attack(s) afterwards will still have to overcome 18 once again.

Reactions: Huntn

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Thanks for the reply!

Making Heads or Tails out of the Character Sheet
THE PARTY: Character Sheets (PDF)
Ref: DM Assistance: Character Sheet Instructions

Questions:
  • What determines the Proficiency Bonus?
  • Do different skills have different levels to become proficient? I'm noticing the dwarf is proficient at +2 Religion (Int), but is not proficient at +3 Perception (Wis).

Equipment- FYI there are 5 rectangular boxes in this section with the labels CP, SP, EP, GP, & PP. This represents treasure the character possesses. CP= Copper Pieces, SP= Silver, EP= Electrum, GP= Gol, & PP = Platinum. This dwarf has 10 Gold.

The dwarf has chain mail and a Shield. The chain mail grants a Disadvantage on any "Dexterity (Stealth)" checks. I assume the armor rating of 18 is based both on the chain mail, and the shield. However his hit points are 11 which is health. When a character is attacked, must the armor value (in this case 18) be wittled down to 11 before the dwarf starts taking damage?

Trying to figure out how abilities add up
(using Wisdom as an example):
  • On the left side of the Character sheets are Abilities such as Wisdom +3.
  • If I run down the list of wisdom based skills they all have 3s I assume based on having +3 Wisdom, except for medicine which is +5. Is the extra 2 something that would be added in the character creation process which we skipped (using premade character sheets)?
  • What does the 16 (little number in the oval) represent? If I go down the skill list and add all of the skills that are wisdom based, I come up with 17, so that's not it.

Dwarf Cleric Character Sheet Level 1
+2 Proficiency Bonus
18 Armor
-1 Initiative
25feet Speed

Abilities/
Saving Throws

+2 Strength
-1 Dexterity
+2 Constitution
+0 Intelligence
+5 Wisdom
+3 Charisma

Skills Grouped (Proficient skills are bolded)
-1 Acrobatics (Dex)
-1 Slight of Hand (Dex)
-1 Stealth (Dex)- see equipment

+1 Deception (Cha)
+3 Intimidation (Cha)
+1 Performance (Cha)
+1 Persuasion (Cha)

+0 Arcania (Int)
+0 History (Int)
+0 Investigation (Int)
+0 Nature (Int)
+2 Religion (Int)

+4 Athletics (Str)

+3 Animal Handling (Wis)
+3 Insight (Wis)
+5 Medicine (Wis)
+3 Perception (Wis)
+3 Survival (Wis)

1) The proficiency bonus is +2 for starting characters. It will go up as we level.
2) If a skill is proficient, it just means +2 added to your ability score bonus. You have a +3 wisdom bonus so your proficient religion skill is 2 + 3 = 5. You are not proficient in perception so you don't add the +2 to your wisdom bonus for your perception skill.
3) Equipment: Yes that is the treasure you are carrying. AC 18 is the number to hit you. Once you are hit, damage is subtracted from your hit points. Once you hit zero hit points, you are unconscious and possibly dieing.
4) Abilities: The number in the small oval is actually your ability score (maximum of 20) while the big number is your bonus or penalty. You have a 16 wisdom with a +3 bonus. On your skill list, you are proficient with skills that have a black dot next to them. Proficiencies are picked at character creation.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
1) The proficiency bonus is +2 for starting characters. It will go up as we level.
2) If a skill is proficient, it just means +2 added to your ability score bonus. You have a +3 wisdom bonus so your proficient religion skill is 2 + 3 = 5. You are not proficient in perception so you don't add the +2 to your wisdom bonus for your perception skill.
3) Equipment: Yes that is the treasure you are carrying. AC 18 is the number to hit you. Once you are hit, damage is subtracted from your hit points. Once you hit zero hit points, you are unconscious and possibly dieing.
4) Abilities: The number in the small oval is actually your ability score (maximum of 20) while the big number is your bonus or penalty. You have a 16 wisdom with a +3 bonus. On your skill list, you are proficient with skills that have a black dot next to them. Proficiencies are picked at character creation.

Thanks for answering!
Proficiency- Is proficiency based on a level of achievement, that is different for each skill or class dependent? What is prompting this question is my stats as a dwarf cleric are proficient at +2 Religion, but with many of the wisdom categories, I'm +3 but not proficient. After staring at the Skills sheet for a while, it's looking like all wisdom based skills are 3, except for medicine which is +5. Would there be an explanation for the extra +2 on medicine, class dependent?

Also I'm wondering if your wisdom level increased to +5, does this mean all of your wisdom based skills automatically go up with it?

Abilities- How are the numbers in small ovals as well as the modifers determined? Does this happen during character creation? Is there any relationship to a DC d20 role and using the ability modifier table (that I included in post #1?

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Thanks for answering!
Proficiency- Is proficiency based on a level of achievement, that is different for each skill or class dependent? What is prompting this question is my stats as a dwarf cleric are proficient at +2 Religion, but with many of the wisdom categories, I'm +3 but not proficient. After staring at the Skills sheet for a while, it's looking like all wisdom based skills are 3, except for medicine which is +5. Would there be an explanation for the extra +2 on medicine, class dependent?

Also I'm wondering if your wisdom level increased to +5, does this mean all of your wisdom based skills automatically go up with it?

Abilities- How are the numbers in small ovals as well as the modifers determined? Does this happen during character creation? Is there any relationship to a DC d20 role and using the ability modifier table (that I included in post #1?

You are looking at your total skill bonus. During character creation, you only get a very limited amount of skills that you can choose to be proficient in. You are using pre rolled characters so the decision was made for you. For all wisdom based skills, you get a +3 bonus due to your 16 wisdom. That is why almost all your wisdom based skills have a skill bonus of +3. For those wisdom based skills that you are proficient, you get an additional +2 which gives you the +5 skill bonus.

Medicine is a wisdom based score and you are proficient in it. This gives you the wisdom bonus (+3) and the proficiecy bonus (+2) for a total medicine skill bonus of +5.

When you look at the skills bonuses, you need to carefully look on what the skill is based on (in parenthesis after the skill name). The religion skill is based on the intelligence ability. You only have a 10 intelligence which gives you no bonus. Since you are proficient in the religion skill, you a +2 bonus for proficiency. Your total religion skill bonus is 0 + 2 = +2.

Looking at the skill list, you should see that you get a -1 skill penalty on acrobatics, sleight of hand, and stealth due to your bad dexterity. Likewise, you get no bonus (or penalty) on arcana, history, investigation, and nature due to your 10 intelligence. When you play your character, you should actively attempt to stay away from having to make these skill checks :).

Your wisdom attribute score will go up to a 18 (from a 16) at level 4. The wisdom bonus will go from a +3 to a +4 so all your wisdom based skills will go up by +1.

The attribute scores are determined at character creation (you are using pre made characters). The ability bonuses are determined from a table based on the attribute scores.

Last edited:

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
1)
Great answer, except for a correction to the above part: the big number isn't your bonus -- it's your modifier. Basically, if you're using your wisdom to do something, you use the modifier (i.e. you use the modifier plus whatever you toss). If something is being done to you, they'll use your ability score (i.e. they have to roll higher than the ability score to succeed).

And no comment re: the numbers in the snippet in the OP -- I was sitting here trying to figure out where the hell I got the numbers from. No idea.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I think I can answer that one! :D

In case you get attacked the attacking person will have to overcome your AC (armor class) with a D20. Adding or distracting a bonus or penalty too eventually (because they're hiding they get a bonus on their attack I believe). So 18 is pretty awesome. It won't get reduced though (except by spells or sth. similiar) so when the first attack was succesfull but you are still alive the following attack(s) afterwards will still have to overcome 18 once again.

Thank you! :D

You are looking at your total skill bonus. During character creation, you only get a very limited amount of skills that you can choose to be proficient in. You are using pre rolled characters so the decision was made for you. For all wisdom based skills, you get a +3 bonus due to your 16 wisdom. That is why almost all your wisdom based skills have a skill bonus of +3. For those wisdom based skills that you are proficient, you get an additional +2 which gives you the +5 skill bonus.

Medicine is a wisdom based score and you are proficient in it. This gives you the wisdom bonus (+3) and the proficiecy bonus (+2) for a total medicine skill bonus of +5.

When you look at the skills bonuses, you need to carefully look on what the skill is based on (in parenthesis after the skill name). The religion skill is based on the intelligence ability. You only have a 10 intelligence which gives you no bonus. Since you are proficient in the religion skill, you a +2 bonus for proficiency. Your total religion skill bonus is 0 + 2 = +2.

Looking at the skill list, you should see that you get a -1 skill penalty on acrobatics, sleight of hand, and stealth due to your bad dexterity. Likewise, you get no bonus (or penalty) on arcana, history, investigation, and nature due to your 10 intelligence. When you play your character, you should actively attempt to stay away from having to make these skill checks :).

Your wisdom attribute score will go up to a 18 (from a 16) at level 4. The wisdom bonus will go from a +3 to a +4 so all your wisdom based skills will go up by +1.

The attribute scores are determined at character creation (you are using pre made characters). The ability bonuses are determined from a table based on the attribute scores.

Thanks for this info I'll study on it.

I ordered the Dungeons and Dragons Starter Kit, having no idea it includes The Lost Mine of Phandever. :oops: All the following comes out of the Starter Set Rulebook that is included with it. As far as the scenario, I will read it up through this first Goblin attack to see what goes on from the DM perspective, but I'll stop there, because I want to enjoy the rest of this scenario when I finally get in.

Now I've been working on novice notes off and on today, I jump on an airplane tomorrow to fly to Tampa, Fl for the weekend, but will be back on Sunday. But I'll have internet (I think) while I'm gone.

I'm trying to get a handle on rolls AC (Armor Class) and DC (Difficulty Class) rolls actually the sequence of combat or attempting an action in list from steps 1-10. The difficult part is trying to determine for each circumstance, what the target number you are trying to match to be successful. I have a feeling this Starter Rule Book does not go into these things in depth. :rolleyes:

If this wall of text is too much, please ignore. But I'm trying to put this into words that make sense to a novice, and alluded to it in my first post of this thread. Now you know why I wanted a separate thread to discuss technical aspects of the game. :p The goal is to keep the explanations simple and to the point for novice digestion.

From here on are my not so organized notes: I'm trying to establish a list to run down for each encounter to check the various things that must be checked. Here is a rough start of a list:

Encounter Step by Step (My version)
*An encounter requires a DC (Ability Difficulty Check)-
*Roll the d20 die.
*Advantage or Disadvantage?
If there is Advantage or Disadvantage present roll the d20 die twice. With advantage use the highest number, with disadvantage, use the lowest number.
*Add the Ability Chart Modifier Using the number rolled, reference the Ability Chart and add or subtract the appropriate modifier. Is this being used in this game as shown in Post #1 or is the modifier just the number found on the character sheet?
- Ability Chart Numbers- The first number is the Ability (die roll) score and the modifier is second number. My understanding is that although it’s a d20 die being thrown, the numbers go up to 30 to represent the max monster level, although I’m not sure at this point how that is facilitated.
*Is the Player Proficient in the applicable skill?
*End of constructed list

Players Have Abilities
- that are defined by six qualities which are represented by numbers/levels. Some values will increase for players as they gain experience. They are:
Strength- physical power (forcing a door open or fighting an opponent).
Dexterity- agility.
Constitution- endurance.
Intelligence- reasoning and memory (make sense of clues in a riddle).
Wisdom- perception and insight (to notice Goblins laying in wait beside the road).
Charisma- measuring force of personality.

Players will interact with the world in a variety of ways- from routine observation and dialog, to taking actions, in some cases violent action, where the outcome is far from certain. The result of such actions are calculated using die (dice) along with player and monster stats to determine the outcome. Will an attack succeed, and if so, how much damage will result? Will a bluff be believed? Can a character swim across a raging river?

I don't know if the following is the right way to describe this. The Starter Rule book references "Target Number.
Ability Check vs Target Number Not sure how to apply this. To determine the outcome of an uncertain encounter, violent or yet to be violent, two numbers are compared, the calculated Ability Check, represents the ability of the action-taker turned into a number. While the Target Number, represents the level of difficulty that must be overcome, ie, the ability of the Target to resist the intended action or a number that represents the difficulty of scaling a cliff. For Ability Checks and Saving Throws, two types of die rolls, the target number is called a Difficulty Class (DC), (how hard would a lock be to pick). For an Attack Roll it’s the Armor Class (AC), the armor rating of the target being attacked. During an action initiated by the player or the monster, this is the threshold the challenger is trying to equal or best.

Ability Check P5.
Strength Check-
Strength (Athletics)- Attempt to climb a sheer cliff, avoid hazards while scaling a wall, cling to a surface while something is trying to knock you off.
Character attempts to climb a cliff. DM calls for a Strength (Athletics) Check. How is the strength to climb the cliff determined?? How is the target number determined?

Dexterity Checks-
Dexterity (Athletics)-
stay on your feet while trying to run across a sheet of ice or stay upright on a rocking ship’s deck.
Dexterity (Sleight of Hand)- pick a pocket, plant something on an individual
Dexterity (Stealth)- Required when you try to hide, Sneak past guards, conceal yourself from enemies. This is compared against the Wisdom (Perception) check of any creature actively searching for a sign of your presence. See Page 6 box-

Passive Perception-
One of the few examples that actually explains how to determine if an action will be successful. Someone may notice you even if they are not looking. To determine if you’ll be discovered, compare the NPC’s passive Wisdom (Perception) score, which equals 10+ the creature’s Wisdom modifier, as well as any other bonuses or penalties??? Advantage/Disadvantage- If the NPC has Advantage add 5, for disadvantage -5.

Example: 1st level character has a proficiency bonus of +2, a Wisdom of 15 (a +2 wisdom modifier) and a proficiency in Perception, it has a passive Wisdom (Perception) of 14. In lightly obscured areas, creatures have a Disadvantage for Wisdom (Perception). In heavily obscured areas, dark, heavy fog, vision is blocked, imposing a blinded condition. See blinded condition in appendix.

Constitution Check- The Starter Kit description is inadequate. Health, Stamina, and vital force. Uncommon and no skill applies, because the endurance of this ability represents is largly passive rather than involving a specific effort on the part of the character or monster.
- Constitution Link You must make a Concentration check whenever you might potentially be distracted (by taking damage, by harsh weather, and so on) while engaged in some action that requires your full attention. Such actions include casting a spell, manifesting a power, concentrating on an active spell or power, directing a spell or power, using a spell-like or psi-like ability, or using a skill that would provoke an attack of opportunity. In general, if an action wouldn’t normally provoke an attack of opportunity, you need not make a Concentration check to avoid being distracted

Intelligence Check- Measures mental acuity, strength of recall, and ability to reason, deductive reasoning.
Intelligence (Arcana)- Ability to recall lore about spells, magic items, symbols, magical traditions, planes of existence, and inhabitants of those planes.
Intelligence (History)- Ability to recall lore about historical events, legendary people, ancient kingdoms, past disputes, recent wars and lost civilizations.
Intelligence (Investigations)- Ability to spot clues and make deductions, deduce the loction of a hidden object, discern what kind of weapon was used to cause a wound, determine the weakest point in a tunnel to make it collapse.

Wisdom Checks p7- How attuned you are to world, perceptiveness and intuition. Wisdom check could be used in effort to read body language, understand someoe’s feelings, noticing things about the environment, and caring for an inured person.
Wisdom (Animal Handling)- calm an animal, intuition about an animal’s feelings, control your mount when trying a risky maneuver.
Wisdom (Insight)- Decide true intentions of a creature, identify a lie.
Wisdom (Medicine)- try to stabilize an injured/dying creature or diagnose an illness.
Wisdom (Perception)- General awareness, spot, hear, detect presence (goblins hiding along road), eavesdrop under an open window, listen through a door.
Wisdom (Survival)- Follow tracks, hunt wild game, guide group through wasteland, identify signs, predict weather, avoid quicksand.

Charisma Checks P7- Ability to charm, entertain, and deceive others.
Charisma (Deception)- Deceive.
Charisma (Intimate)- Intimidate.
Charisma (Performance)- Entertain.
Charisma (Persuasion)- Persuade.

Saving Throw P7- Not well explained. An attempt to resist or avoid a spell, a trap, a poison a disease, or a similar threat. How does this compare to combat?
*Throw a d20 dics and add the appropriate ability modifier. For example, use Dexterity modifier for a Dexterity saving throw.
*Is effected by Advantage and Disadvantage.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Pheeew, my wisdom check saved me from reading all this!!

I always knew you were a wise guy :).

I jump on an airplane tomorrow

That sounds like it might be painful :). A nice writeup but be sure to separate or highlight any questions you have.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Pheeew, my wisdom check saved me from reading all this!!

Lol. It appears like at some point I will appear as a second Dwarf Cleric. I have two goals. First of all, quite immediately as a D&D NOVICE, I want to be confident in my abilities as a Dwarf Cleric. Secondly for a longer term, I want to understand how the sequence of combat works, so I understand what is happening. But please understand this is a casual endeavor for entertainment. :)

I always knew you were a wise guy :).

That sounds like it might be painful :). A nice writeup but be sure to separate or highlight any questions you have.

maxresdefault.jpg

Thanks!

Still working on the Dwarf Cleric Character Sheet which I'll focus on for now. My questions are marked in Red.
* Proficiency Bonus is +2. I assume that +2 will be added to any calculated skill I am proficient in and for attacks any time I am wearing armor armor, shields, all simple weapons, axes, hammers, and also for mason tools, vehicles, playing cards.

Proficient
+2 Proficiency Bonus
18 Armor
-1 Initiative
25feet Speed
Proficiency- All armor, shields, all simple weapons, axes, hammers, mason tools, vehicles, playing cards.

Weapons (Character Sheet) Would the +2 proficiency be added to the following or is the +2 all ready included?
* Warhammer Attack Bonus+4 (1d8 + 2 bludgeoning)
* Handaxe* Atttack Bonue+4 (1d6 + 2 slashing)

The Saving Throw DC to resist a spell you cast is 13? Calculated how?

On the Character Sheet my skill History=0. But it also says:
Stone Cunning- Whenever character makes an Intelligence (History Check) related to the origin of Stonework, is considered proficient in the History Skill and add double the proficiency bonus to the check vs the normal Proficiency Bonus of +2. Besides, Stone Cunning, can I score anything in a roll involving history?

Gaining Levels- With each level you gain, you gain one additional Hit Die and add
1d8 + 3 to your hit point maximum.
How calculated?

Physical Combat- Is there a measurement of physical fatigue?

Spells-

*Example of a healing roll?
*Disciple of Life- Healing Spells , when restore hit points with a spell of 1st level or higher, the target regains additional hit points equal to 2+ the spell’s level (a L1 spell, additional +3

*At Level1- 4 Prepared Spells
-Must I announce which ones are prepared?
-2 Spell Slots means I can cast 2 spells per fight?

-Exactly what spells do I have?
From the Character Sheet: Prepared Spells. You prepare four 1st-level spells to make them available for you to cast, choosing from the cleric spell list in the rule book. In addition, you always have two domain spells prepared: bless and cure wounds.
-So Does this mean, I have a total of 4 spells including Bless and Cure Wounds or do I have 4 spells in addition to Bless and Cure Wounds? Do I need to pick some spells from the list below?

The D&D Basic Rules v3.4 p82 lists the following Level 1 Cleric Spells:
1st Level
Bless
Command
Cure Wounds
Detect Magic
Guiding Bolt
Healing Word
Inflict Wounds
Sanctuary
Shield of Faith

From the Character Sheet:
Cantrips. You know light, sacred flame, and thaumaturgy, and can cast them at will.
-In a fight, I can throw unlimited Cantrips?
Light- Evocation cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Components: V, M (a firefly or phosphorescent moss)
Duration: 1 hour
Description: You touch one object that is no larger than 10 feet in any dimension. Until the spell ends, the object sheds bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet. The light can be colored as you like. Completely covering the object with something opaque blocks the light. The spell ends if you cast it again or dismiss it as an action.
lf you target an object held or worn by a hostile creature, that creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw to avoid the spell.

Sacred Flame- Evocation cantrip
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S ??
Duration: Instantaneous
Description: Flame-like radiance descends on a creature that you can see within range. The target must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d8 radiant damage. The target gains no benefit from cover for this saving throw. The spell’s damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8), and 17th level (4d8).

Thaumaturgy- Evocation cantrip
Range: 30 feet
Components: V
Duration: Up to 1 minute
Description: You manifest a minor wonder, a sign of supernatural power. You can create the following magical effects.
Up to three 1 minute effects active at a time, and dismissal requires an action (what action to dismiss?)
1. Your voice booms up to three times as loud as normal for 1 minute
2. You cause flames to flicker, brighten, dim, or change color for 1 minute.
3. You create an instantaneous sound that originates from a point of your choice within range, such as a rumble of thunder, the cry of a raven, or ominous whispers.
4. You instantaneously cause an unlocked door or window to fly open or slam shut.
5. You alter the appearance of your eyes for 1 minute.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thank you! :D

Thanks for this info I'll study on it.

I ordered the Dungeons and Dragons Starter Kit, having no idea it includes The Lost Mine of Phandever. :oops: All the following comes out of the Starter Set Rulebook that is included with it. As far as the scenario, I will read it up through this first Goblin attack to see what goes on from the DM perspective, but I'll stop there, because I want to enjoy the rest of this scenario when I finally get in.

Now I've been working on novice notes off and on today, I jump on an airplane tomorrow to fly to Tampa, Fl for the weekend, but will be back on Sunday. But I'll have internet (I think) while I'm gone.

I'm trying to get a handle on rolls AC (Armor Class) and DC (Difficulty Class) rolls actually the sequence of combat or attempting an action in list from steps 1-10. The difficult part is trying to determine for each circumstance, what the target number you are trying to match to be successful. I have a feeling this Starter Rule Book does not go into these things in depth. :rolleyes:

If this wall of text is too much, please ignore. But I'm trying to put this into words that make sense to a novice, and alluded to it in my first post of this thread. Now you know why I wanted a separate thread to discuss technical aspects of the game. :p The goal is to keep the explanations simple and to the point for novice digestion.

From here on are my not so organized notes: I'm trying to establish a list to run down for each encounter to check the various things that must be checked. Here is a rough start of a list:

Encounter Step by Step (My version)
*An encounter requires a DC (Ability Difficulty Check)-
*Roll the d20 die.
*Advantage or Disadvantage?
If there is Advantage or Disadvantage present roll the d20 die twice. With advantage use the highest number, with disadvantage, use the lowest number.
*Add the Ability Chart Modifier Using the number rolled, reference the Ability Chart and add or subtract the appropriate modifier. Is this being used in this game as shown in Post #1 or is the modifier just the number found on the character sheet?
- Ability Chart Numbers- The first number is the Ability (die roll) score and the modifier is second number. My understanding is that although it’s a d20 die being thrown, the numbers go up to 30 to represent the max monster level, although I’m not sure at this point how that is facilitated.
*Is the Player Proficient in the applicable skill?
*End of constructed list

Players Have Abilities
- that are defined by six qualities which are represented by numbers/levels. Some values will increase for players as they gain experience. They are:
Strength- physical power (forcing a door open or fighting an opponent).
Dexterity- agility.
Constitution- endurance.
Intelligence- reasoning and memory (make sense of clues in a riddle).
Wisdom- perception and insight (to notice Goblins laying in wait beside the road).
Charisma- measuring force of personality.

Players will interact with the world in a variety of ways- from routine observation and dialog, to taking actions, in some cases violent action, where the outcome is far from certain. The result of such actions are calculated using die (dice) along with player and monster stats to determine the outcome. Will an attack succeed, and if so, how much damage will result? Will a bluff be believed? Can a character swim across a raging river?

I don't know if the following is the right way to describe this. The Starter Rule book references "Target Number.
Ability Check vs Target Number Not sure how to apply this. To determine the outcome of an uncertain encounter, violent or yet to be violent, two numbers are compared, the calculated Ability Check, represents the ability of the action-taker turned into a number. While the Target Number, represents the level of difficulty that must be overcome, ie, the ability of the Target to resist the intended action or a number that represents the difficulty of scaling a cliff. For Ability Checks and Saving Throws, two types of die rolls, the target number is called a Difficulty Class (DC), (how hard would a lock be to pick). For an Attack Roll it’s the Armor Class (AC), the armor rating of the target being attacked. During an action initiated by the player or the monster, this is the threshold the challenger is trying to equal or best.

Ability Check P5.
Strength Check-
Strength (Athletics)- Attempt to climb a sheer cliff, avoid hazards while scaling a wall, cling to a surface while something is trying to knock you off.
Character attempts to climb a cliff. DM calls for a Strength (Athletics) Check. How is the strength to climb the cliff determined?? How is the target number determined?

Dexterity Checks-
Dexterity (Athletics)-
stay on your feet while trying to run across a sheet of ice or stay upright on a rocking ship’s deck.
Dexterity (Sleight of Hand)- pick a pocket, plant something on an individual
Dexterity (Stealth)- Required when you try to hide, Sneak past guards, conceal yourself from enemies. This is compared against the Wisdom (Perception) check of any creature actively searching for a sign of your presence. See Page 6 box-

Passive Perception-
One of the few examples that actually explains how to determine if an action will be successful. Someone may notice you even if they are not looking. To determine if you’ll be discovered, compare the NPC’s passive Wisdom (Perception) score, which equals 10+ the creature’s Wisdom modifier, as well as any other bonuses or penalties??? Advantage/Disadvantage- If the NPC has Advantage add 5, for disadvantage -5.

Example: 1st level character has a proficiency bonus of +2, a Wisdom of 15 (a +2 wisdom modifier) and a proficiency in Perception, it has a passive Wisdom (Perception) of 14. In lightly obscured areas, creatures have a Disadvantage for Wisdom (Perception). In heavily obscured areas, dark, heavy fog, vision is blocked, imposing a blinded condition. See blinded condition in appendix.

Constitution Check- The Starter Kit description is inadequate. Health, Stamina, and vital force. Uncommon and no skill applies, because the endurance of this ability represents is largly passive rather than involving a specific effort on the part of the character or monster.
- Constitution Link You must make a Concentration check whenever you might potentially be distracted (by taking damage, by harsh weather, and so on) while engaged in some action that requires your full attention. Such actions include casting a spell, manifesting a power, concentrating on an active spell or power, directing a spell or power, using a spell-like or psi-like ability, or using a skill that would provoke an attack of opportunity. In general, if an action wouldn’t normally provoke an attack of opportunity, you need not make a Concentration check to avoid being distracted

Intelligence Check- Measures mental acuity, strength of recall, and ability to reason, deductive reasoning.
Intelligence (Arcana)- Ability to recall lore about spells, magic items, symbols, magical traditions, planes of existence, and inhabitants of those planes.
Intelligence (History)- Ability to recall lore about historical events, legendary people, ancient kingdoms, past disputes, recent wars and lost civilizations.
Intelligence (Investigations)- Ability to spot clues and make deductions, deduce the loction of a hidden object, discern what kind of weapon was used to cause a wound, determine the weakest point in a tunnel to make it collapse.

Wisdom Checks p7- How attuned you are to world, perceptiveness and intuition. Wisdom check could be used in effort to read body language, understand someoe’s feelings, noticing things about the environment, and caring for an inured person.
Wisdom (Animal Handling)- calm an animal, intuition about an animal’s feelings, control your mount when trying a risky maneuver.
Wisdom (Insight)- Decide true intentions of a creature, identify a lie.
Wisdom (Medicine)- try to stabilize an injured/dying creature or diagnose an illness.
Wisdom (Perception)- General awareness, spot, hear, detect presence (goblins hiding along road), eavesdrop under an open window, listen through a door.
Wisdom (Survival)- Follow tracks, hunt wild game, guide group through wasteland, identify signs, predict weather, avoid quicksand.

Charisma Checks P7- Ability to charm, entertain, and deceive others.
Charisma (Deception)- Deceive.
Charisma (Intimate)- Intimidate.
Charisma (Performance)- Entertain.
Charisma (Persuasion)- Persuade.

Saving Throw P7- Not well explained. An attempt to resist or avoid a spell, a trap, a poison a disease, or a similar threat. How does this compare to combat?
*Throw a d20 dics and add the appropriate ability modifier. For example, use Dexterity modifier for a Dexterity saving throw.
*Is effected by Advantage and Disadvantage.

In the above post, I listed all of these checks. I realize it's a lot, but what I'm really looking for is the dice formula mechanics for any of these checks. For example a strength check checks the strength of, in my case a cleric dwarf, against an object, say forcing a door open or moving a stone that is covering a trap door. What would the dice formula be to test my strength, and how would the target strength, the strength needed to succeed be determined? Would all of the checks listed below use the same formula? Thanks! :)

Strength Check
Constitution Check
Intelligence Check
Wisdom Check
Charisma Check

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Lol. It appears like at some point I will appear as a second Dwarf Cleric. I have two goals. First of all, quite immediately as a D&D NOVICE, I want to be confident in my abilities as a Dwarf Cleric. Secondly for a longer term, I want to understand how the sequence of combat works, so I understand what is happening. But please understand this is a casual endeavor for entertainment. :)

Thanks!

Still working on the Dwarf Cleric Character Sheet which I'll focus on for now. My questions are marked in Red.
* Proficiency Bonus is +2. I assume that +2 will be added to any calculated skill I am proficient in and for attacks any time I am wearing armor armor, shields, all simple weapons, axes, hammers, and also for mason tools, vehicles, playing cards.

Proficient
+2 Proficiency Bonus
18 Armor
-1 Initiative
25feet Speed
Proficiency- All armor, shields, all simple weapons, axes, hammers, mason tools, vehicles, playing cards.

Weapons (Character Sheet) Would the +2 proficiency be added to the following or is the +2 all ready included?
* Warhammer Attack Bonus+4 (1d8 + 2 bludgeoning)
* Handaxe* Atttack Bonue+4 (1d6 + 2 slashing)

The Saving Throw DC to resist a spell you cast is 13? Calculated how?

On the Character Sheet my skill History=0. But it also says:
Stone Cunning- Whenever character makes an Intelligence (History Check) related to the origin of Stonework, is considered proficient in the History Skill and add double the proficiency bonus to the check vs the normal Proficiency Bonus of +2. Besides, Stone Cunning, can I score anything in a roll involving history?

Gaining Levels- With each level you gain, you gain one additional Hit Die and add
1d8 + 3 to your hit point maximum. How calculated?

Physical Combat- Is there a measurement of physical fatigue?

Spells-

*Example of a healing roll?
*Disciple of Life- Healing Spells , when restore hit points with a spell of 1st level or higher, the target regains additional hit points equal to 2+ the spell’s level (a L1 spell, additional +3

*At Level1- 4 Prepared Spells
-Must I announce which ones are prepared?
-2 Spell Slots means I can cast 2 spells per fight?

-Exactly what spells do I have?
From the Character Sheet: Prepared Spells. You prepare four 1st-level spells to make them available for you to cast, choosing from the cleric spell list in the rule book. In addition, you always have two domain spells prepared: bless and cure wounds.

-So Does this mean, I have a total of 4 spells including Bless and Cure Wounds or do I have 4 spells in addition to Bless and Cure Wounds? Do I need to pick some spells from the list below?

The D&D Basic Rules v3.4 p82 lists the following Level 1 Cleric Spells:

1st Level
Bless
Command
Cure Wounds
Detect Magic
Guiding Bolt
Healing Word
Inflict Wounds
Sanctuary
Shield of Faith

From the Character Sheet: Cantrips. You know light, sacred flame, and thaumaturgy, and can cast them at will.

-In a fight, I can throw unlimited Cantrips?
Light- Evocation cantrip

Components: V, M (a firefly or phosphorescent moss)
Duration: 1 hour
Description: You touch one object that is no larger than 10 feet in any dimension. Until the spell ends, the object sheds bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet. The light can be colored as you like. Completely covering the object with something opaque blocks the light. The spell ends if you cast it again or dismiss it as an action.
lf you target an object held or worn by a hostile creature, that creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw to avoid the spell.

Sacred Flame- Evocation cantrip
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S ??
Description: Flame-like radiance descends on a creature that you can see within range. The target must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d8 radiant damage. The target gains no benefit from cover for this saving throw. The spell’s damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8), and 17th level (4d8).

Thaumaturgy- Evocation cantrip
Range: 30 feet
Components: V
Duration: Up to 1 minute
Description: You manifest a minor wonder, a sign of supernatural power. You can create the following magical effects.
Up to three 1 minute effects active at a time, and dismissal requires an action (what action to dismiss?)
1. Your voice booms up to three times as loud as normal for 1 minute
2. You cause flames to flicker, brighten, dim, or change color for 1 minute.
3. You create an instantaneous sound that originates from a point of your choice within range, such as a rumble of thunder, the cry of a raven, or ominous whispers.
4. You instantaneously cause an unlocked door or window to fly open or slam shut.
5. You alter the appearance of your eyes for 1 minute.

The +2 is already included in you weapon attack bonus.
Score anything on other history rolls ?
Leveling: The DM (dungeon master) rewards experience for killing enemies / accomplishing goals. Look at page 2 of your character sheet to see the xp needed to level.
No measure of physical fatigue
You prepare four spells + cure wounds + bless from that list of spells (i.e. you take cure wounds, bless,and four others from the remaining seven spells in the list). You can then cast two first level spells / day from that prepared list. You need to give your default prepared spell list to the DM.
You can cast cantrips as often as you like.
On ability checks and skill checks, the DM determines the target number.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The +2 is already included in you weapon attack bonus.
Score anything on other history rolls ?
Leveling: The DM (dungeon master) rewards experience for killing enemies / accomplishing goals. Look at page 2 of your character sheet to see the xp needed to level.
No measure of physical fatigue
You prepare four spells + cure wounds + bless from that list of spells (i.e. you take cure wounds, bless,and four others from the remaining seven spells in the list). You can then cast two first level spells / day from that prepared list. You need to give your default prepared spell list to the DM.
You can cast cantrips as often as you like.
On ability checks and skill checks, the DM determines the target number.

So I have 6 total spells- 4 prepared+bless, +cure wounds (2 spells per day) and 3 cantrips as often as I have a turn.

I also understand each turn, I can do 2 things- move and take an action, unless more is specified. Does that sound right?
Thank you! :)

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
So I have 6 total spells- 4 prepared+bless, +cure wounds (2 spells per day) and 3 cantrips as often as I have a turn.

I also understand each turn, I can do 2 things- move and take an action, unless more is specified. Does that sound right?
Thank you! :)

In combat, it is referred as a round. Each round is six seconds so there are ten rounds in a minute.

In a round,
You get movement up to the speed listed on your character sheet (25' for a dwarf). You can take all your movement before your action, all you movement after your action, or some before and some after your action.

For your action, you can attack, cast a spell, do a skill, etc. You can also move as an action giving you two moves in the round (i.e. you could move 25' x 2 = 50').

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Dexterity (Initiative) Check- I'd like to verify that this check is a d20 die roll + dexterity rmodifier (the smaller number, not the larger number) from character sheet. Is there anything else involved?

Stealth/Suprise- I'd also like to verify that for the purposes of surprise/stealth, a group like goblins in this scenario that is hiding would use a d20 roll + their individual stealth rating +6 off their character stats. And to see them and not be surprised, party members would have to have a passive wisdom rating (on their character sheet) equal to the Stealth of the group hiding?

Spell Question
Cure Wounds

1st-level evocation
Components: V, S (What are these components?)
A creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal
to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. *This spell has
no effect on undead or constructs.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a
spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by
1d8 for each slot level above 1st.

*I assume that my (Dwarf Cleric) spellcasting modifier based on wisdom would be +3?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Eventually I'll appear as a 2nd Dwarf Cleric.... Here is the basic list of of cantrips and spells. I propose to prepare the purple spells. But as usual, I have questions: :D

1. Two of the spells are listed as "bonus actions". Obviously they won't do me much good if I can't use them. What typically triggers the ability to perform a bonus action?
2. I also have a question about Initiative, which controls the order that players take actions. One of the spells that the Cleric Dwarf has is "bless" which appears to be very handy. Ready about it below. However, this is where the initiative question comes in. To be effective, Bless, would be cast first so that other players would benefit from this spell in their attack rolls, however this would have to be coordinated so it is cast first. If the Cleric does not end up in the first initiative slot, could other players give up their initiative letting the cleric go first, but not lose their turns for that round?
3. Looking at the on-going Goblin attack scenario, I think Thaumaturgy might be handy too as a distraction.

Here is the description about Initiative from basic rules:
Initiative
Initiative determines the order of turns during combat.
When combat starts, every participant makes a Dexterity
check to determine their place in the initiative order.
The DM makes one roll for an entire group of identical
creatures, so each member of the group acts at the
same time.
The DM ranks the combatants in order from the one
with the highest Dexterity check total to the one with
the lowest. This is the order (called the initiative order)
in which they act during each round. The initiative order
remains the same from round to round.
If a tie occurs, the DM decides the order among
tied DM-controlled creatures, and the players decide
the order among their tied characters. The DM can
decide the order if the tie is between a monster and a
player character. Optionally, the DM can have the tied
characters and monsters each roll a d20 to determine the
order, highest roll going first.

-Cleric L1 Spell List (Basic Rules v0.3, p82)
Proposed Spells to Prepare are Purple
Scenario Started With Blue Spells

Cantrips (0 Level)
* Guidance
* Light (Cantrip, touch, 1 action, lasts 1 hr, components V&M?, any object no larger than 10’ any dimensions will shed bright light (any color) for a 20’ radius, and dim light for an additional 20’. Completely covering the object with something opaque blocks the light. The spell ends if you cast it again or dismiss it as an action. The spell ends if you cast it again or dismiss it as an action. If you target an object held or worn by a hostile creature, that creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw to avoid the spell.

* Resistance

* Sacred Flame (Cantrip, Ranged 60’, 1 action, Component V&S, Instantaneous. Flame-like radiance descends on a creature that you can see within range. The target must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d8 radiant damage. The target gains no benefit from cover for this saving throw.

* Spare the Dying

* Thaumaturgy ( Cantrip, Ranged 30’, 1 action, Components V, Duration 1 min.)
- You manifest a minor wonder, a sign of supernatural power, within range. You create one of the following magical effects within range:
Your voice booms up to three times as loud as normal for 1 minute.
You cause flames to flicker, brighten, dim, or change color for 1 minute.
You cause harmless tremors in the ground for 1 minute.
You create an instantaneous sound that originates from a point of your choice within range, such as a rumble of thunder, the cry of a raven, or ominous whispers.
You instantaneously cause an unlocked door or window to fly open or slam shut.
You alter the appearance of your eyes for 1 minute.
If you cast this spell multiple times, you can have up to three of its 1-minute effects active at a time, and you can dismiss such an effect as an action.
Spellcasting Ability- (Character sheet) Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for your spells. The saving throw DC to resist a spell you cast is 13. Your attack bonus when you make an attack with a spell is +5. See the rulebook for rules oncasting your spells.
Prepared Spells are Purple
Started Scenario With Blue Spells

1st Level Spells
* Bless- (1 action, components V+S+M, up to 3 targets, ranged 30’, lasts 1 min, enhances target’s attack by d4 added to their Attack Roll of Saving throw).
* Command- (60’ command a target)
* Cure Wounds (touch, 1action, components V &S?, target regains 1d8+3 (Wisdom modifier).
* Detect Magic
* Guiding Bolt- (1 action, ranged 120 feet, Components V&S, target takes 4d6 radiant damage, the next attack roll against this target before the end of your next turn has advantage.) <--by someone else?
* Healing Word (single target, 1 bonus action, instantaneous, ranged 60 feet, regains 1d4+ spellcasting ability modifier (Wisdom +3).
* Inflict Wounds (touch, 1sec, 1 action, target takes 3d10 necrotic damage.)
Sanctuary- Protects a target.
* Shield of Faith- (1 bonus action, duration up to 10 min, ranged 60’, Protects a target with a +2 Bonus to AC for duration.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
Eventually I'll appear as a 2nd Dwarf Cleric.... Here is the basic list of of cantrips and spells. I propose to prepare the purple spells. But as usual, I have questions: :D

1. Two of the spells are listed as "bonus actions". Obviously they won't do me much good if I can't use them. What typically triggers the ability to perform a bonus action?
2. I also have a question about Initiative, which controls the order that players take actions. One of the spells that the Cleric Dwarf has is "bless" which appears to be very handy. Ready about it below. However, this is where the initiative question comes in. To be effective, Bless, would be cast first so that other players would benefit from this spell in their attack rolls, however this would have to be coordinated so it is cast first. If the Cleric does not end up in the first initiative slot, could other players give up their initiative letting the cleric go first, but not lose their turns for that round?
3. Looking at the on-going Goblin attack scenario, I think Thaumaturgy might be handy too as a distraction.

by the 5e rules, initiative cannot be switched around. the order determined stays what is determined by the dice rolls.
however, like almost everything in this game, things can be flexible, and ravenvii -as the DM- has already allowed it to work that way in this game, so it would be possible.

even if it wasn't, since the spell lasts 1' and each 'action' lasts approximately 6 sec (including the bad guys actions) even if it is cast not as first, it would still affect the adventurers' actions in the next round, or possibly two rounds

a bonus action is just that, something you can do -once per turn- as a bonus, in addition top your regular action.
so a bonus spell can always be used in addition to another spell or action in the same turn, provided you have the slot available for it

of note, cantrips you know are cantrips you know, you can never change those during the game (but you can learn more).
for spells, unlike for wizards, EVERY spell in the book is available to you, and you can pick whichever you want to prepare

for now:

0 Level (Cantrips)

Guidance
Light
Resistance
Sacred Flame
Thaumaturgy

1st Level

Bless
Command
Cure Wounds
Detect Magic
Guiding Bolt
Healing Word
Inflict Wounds
Sanctuary
Shield of Faith

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
by the 5e rules, initiative cannot be switched around. the order determined stays what is determined by the dice rolls.
however, like almost everything in this game, things can be flexible, and ravenvii -as the DM- has already allowed it to work that way in this game, so it would be possible.

even if it wasn't, since the spell lasts 1' and each 'action' lasts approximately 6 sec (including the bad guys actions) even if it is cast not as first, it would still affect the adventurers' actions in the next round, or possibly two rounds

a bonus action is just that, something you can do -once per turn- as a bonus, in addition top your regular action.
so a bonus spell can always be used in addition to another spell or action in the same turn, provided you have the slot available for it

of note, cantrips you know are cantrips you know, you can never change those during the game (but you can learn more).
for spells, unlike for wizards, EVERY spell in the book is available to you, and you can pick whichever you want to prepare

for now:

0 Level (Cantrips)

Guidance
Light
Resistance
Sacred Flame
Thaumaturgy

1st Level

Bless
Command
Cure Wounds
Detect Magic
Guiding Bolt
Healing Word
Inflict Wounds
Sanctuary
Shield of Faith

Thank you. Regarding initiative, it seems to me that coordinating an attack to make a spell bolster a physical attack by another player would be a deliberate decision not subject to chance/ a die roll. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
yes but the order of action is still determined by roll :)

While I accept this rule and don't have a problem with die rolls in particular, my impression is that regarding initiative, it's counter intuitive. Players have different skills and skill levels and who goes first could be skill or logic based, and even chance based such as everyone springs into action simultaneously, which the latter for the purposes of game structure and conduct, might Be hard to keep track of.

But, it's counter intuitive because, in a group, if one person advised the party, they have a spell that would bolster the attack of 3 party members, the reality would be that for certain tactical situations, where they planned an attack, they could agree who is best suited to receive such a spell, and allow the spell caster to cast his/her spell before they attack. Even in a surprise attack, if the spell caster was fast, he/she might be able to get the spell cast before party members have a chance to strike back.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
In each round, you are allowed 1 action and 1 move, although the move can be be split up to not exceed the maximum move distance. Example: move distance 30', you could move 10', throw a spell, and move 20', end of turn.

Bonus Action-
An extra action, once per turn, once per fight, or once per day? And as long as it's not a spell? ... Numbers of spells thrown are controlled by spell slots, the number thrown is limited by slots and only once per day, (2 spell,slots, = 2 thrown speeds in one day (without 8 hrs of rest) and this limit is absolute even if a spell is described as a bonus spell?

Or is a bonus action initiated by using another action that specifically states it enables a bonus action? Help! ;)

Last edited:

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
bonus action s refer to a turn. meaning in that turn you can take an action, move and another (bonus action).
in case of a bonus spell, it uses a slot, so the limit remains the slot available.
in other cases depends on how the bonus action is described for the character who has it.
for example, a goblin can hide or disengage as a bonus action. he can do that every turn, for the entire duration of a combat sequence.
a level 1 fighter can use second wind during a battle as a bonus action. he can do that only once per day.
some characters (especially as they level up) can have multiple option as bonus actions, but in any given turn can only use one of them (plus the normal action)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.