Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
i suppose it can vary a lot with DMs, but to me it is mostly color, so in my games i would leave it up to the creativity of the spellcaster. they just need to be reasonable and consistent
in most cases the material components -especially for low level spells- are already part of the 'kit' the spellcaster has at the begining, and they do not get used up (this might be different in a particularly 'gritty' sort of campaign, for expert players, but not for beginners). for newly acquired, more advanced spells, or spells with complex/expensive requirements, you would have to source the material needed for them, and it might get consumed during the spell.

Hm. Something tells me that it will be quite some time before we find ourselves in such a place…..

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Eventually I'll appear as a 2nd Dwarf Cleric.... Here is the basic list of of cantrips and spells. I propose to prepare the purple spells. But as usual, I have questions: :D

1. Two of the spells are listed as "bonus actions". Obviously they won't do me much good if I can't use them. What typically triggers the ability to perform a bonus action?
2. I also have a question about Initiative, which controls the order that players take actions. One of the spells that the Cleric Dwarf has is "bless" which appears to be very handy. Ready about it below. However, this is where the initiative question comes in. To be effective, Bless, would be cast first so that other players would benefit from this spell in their attack rolls, however this would have to be coordinated so it is cast first. If the Cleric does not end up in the first initiative slot, could other players give up their initiative letting the cleric go first, but not lose their turns for that round?
3. Looking at the on-going Goblin attack scenario, I think Thaumaturgy might be handy too as a distraction.

Here is the description about Initiative from basic rules:
Initiative
Initiative determines the order of turns during combat.
When combat starts, every participant makes a Dexterity
check to determine their place in the initiative order.
The DM makes one roll for an entire group of identical
creatures, so each member of the group acts at the
same time.
The DM ranks the combatants in order from the one
with the highest Dexterity check total to the one with
the lowest. This is the order (called the initiative order)
in which they act during each round. The initiative order
remains the same from round to round.
If a tie occurs, the DM decides the order among
tied DM-controlled creatures, and the players decide
the order among their tied characters. The DM can
decide the order if the tie is between a monster and a
player character. Optionally, the DM can have the tied
characters and monsters each roll a d20 to determine the
order, highest roll going first.

-Cleric L1 Spell List (Basic Rules v0.3, p82)
Proposed Spells to Prepare are Purple
Scenario Started With Blue Spells

Cantrips (0 Level)
* Guidance
* Light (Cantrip, touch, 1 action, lasts 1 hr, components V&M?, any object no larger than 10’ any dimensions will shed bright light (any color) for a 20’ radius, and dim light for an additional 20’. Completely covering the object with something opaque blocks the light. The spell ends if you cast it again or dismiss it as an action. The spell ends if you cast it again or dismiss it as an action. If you target an object held or worn by a hostile creature, that creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw to avoid the spell.

* Resistance

* Sacred Flame (Cantrip, Ranged 60’, 1 action, Component V&S, Instantaneous. Flame-like radiance descends on a creature that you can see within range. The target must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d8 radiant damage. The target gains no benefit from cover for this saving throw.

* Spare the Dying

* Thaumaturgy ( Cantrip, Ranged 30’, 1 action, Components V, Duration 1 min.)
- You manifest a minor wonder, a sign of supernatural power, within range. You create one of the following magical effects within range:
Your voice booms up to three times as loud as normal for 1 minute.
You cause flames to flicker, brighten, dim, or change color for 1 minute.
You cause harmless tremors in the ground for 1 minute.
You create an instantaneous sound that originates from a point of your choice within range, such as a rumble of thunder, the cry of a raven, or ominous whispers.
You instantaneously cause an unlocked door or window to fly open or slam shut.
You alter the appearance of your eyes for 1 minute.
If you cast this spell multiple times, you can have up to three of its 1-minute effects active at a time, and you can dismiss such an effect as an action.
Spellcasting Ability- (Character sheet) Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for your spells. The saving throw DC to resist a spell you cast is 13. Your attack bonus when you make an attack with a spell is +5. See the rulebook for rules oncasting your spells.
Prepared Spells are Purple
Started Scenario With Blue Spells

1st Level Spells
* Bless- (1 action, components V+S+M, up to 3 targets, ranged 30’, lasts 1 min, enhances target’s attack by d4 added to their Attack Roll of Saving throw).
* Command- (60’ command a target)
* Cure Wounds (touch, 1action, components V &S?, target regains 1d8+3 (Wisdom modifier).
* Detect Magic
* Guiding Bolt- (1 action, ranged 120 feet, Components V&S, target takes 4d6 radiant damage, the next attack roll against this target before the end of your next turn has advantage.) <--by someone else?
* Healing Word (single target, 1 bonus action, instantaneous, ranged 60 feet, regains 1d4+ spellcasting ability modifier (Wisdom +3).
* Inflict Wounds (touch, 1sec, 1 action, target takes 3d10 necrotic damage.)
Sanctuary- Protects a target.
* Shield of Faith- (1 bonus action, duration up to 10 min, ranged 60’, Protects a target with a +2 Bonus to AC for duration.

Guys, it's been a while, I've gotten foggy on the rules, :oops: and in an attempt to appear partially competent in combat, requesting your (@Plutonius, @Don't panic, @ravenvii, @twietee) assistance, answers to these questions if you'd care to. I'd appreciate it and my apologies if I've asked previously, or you have answered these before. Keeping them brief. :):)

C l e r i c S p e l l s
C a n t r i p s (0 L e v e l )

Guidance
Light
Mending
Resistance
Sacred Flame
Spare the Dying
Thaumaturgy

1s t L e v e l
Bane
Bless
Command
Create or Destroy Water
Cure Wounds
Detect Evil and Good
Detect Magic
Detect Poison and Disease
Guiding Bolt
Healing Word
Inflict Wounds
Protection from
Evil and Good
Purify Food and Drink
Sanctuary
Shield of Faith

Questions:
1. According to my character sheet, I know the following Cantrips: Light, sacred flame, and thaumaturgy, and can cast them at will.
* Does saying I know them, mean I've prepared them?
* I assume they (one of them) can be used once every turn?
* What is required to make learn the other Cantrips on the list? Can they all be learned?

2. I prepare 4 spells daily. According to the character sheet, I always have 2 domain spells prepared: Bless and Cure Wounds.
* I assume these count as 2 of the 4 spells I can prepare or are these additional spells?

3. Two of the L1 Spells, Healing Word and Shield of Faith are listed as bonus actions. If these are prepared, I assume they count as part of the total 4 spells, but can only be used as a bonus action? If this is true, is it worthwhile to have spell that can only be used as a bonus action versus the other L1 Spells?

4. As a second Cleric in the group, any suggestions on the best spells? I can go purely with healing, or should I have at least one offensive spell?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.