Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rasputin666

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2009
old thread, same problem. MacStudio M1, 32gb ram, 13.2 OS. i forgot about this b/c i don't shut down very often but 13.1 to 13.2 made me reboot. had to sit with black screen then 5min, pull USB-c out then plug it back in. Just like my M1 Mini, which i had before the Mac Studio.

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
Try in Terminal - 'sudo pmset -a autopoweroffdelay 86400'

This will push deep hibernation out to 24 hours as opposed to the default 4 hours (14400 is default). Works for me on my new Mac Mino M2 Pro.

Reactions: osplo

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
I finally fixed the issue on my Mac Mini M2 Pro - for me switching from a Thunderbolt to DisplayPort lead to a high quality HDMI 2 HDMI cable got the machine to wake up the monitor.

rasputin666

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2009
Try in Terminal - 'sudo pmset -a autopoweroffdelay 86400'

This will push deep hibernation out to 24 hours as opposed to the default 4 hours (14400 is default). Works for me on my new Mac Mino M2 Pro.
thank you for the info but this did not stop this issue from happening again

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
A pity that.
In the end on the new Mini I solved the problem by shifting from using a thunderbolt to DP adaptor to using a very high quality HDMI to HDMI cable. When using that solved the issue for me, that allowed me to back out all my 'fixes'.

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
This is utter crap from Apple... I'm having to use a 3rd party monitor because it's the only one that will work on my M1
(HDMI) It's okay but my preferred display just will not work. (Glass screen)
So now I'm nearly in a position to buy a cinema display but will have to keep going backward and forwards to the shop to find one that will work my machine?

Complete and utter bollocks!!!

Am I angry?

Also - still have the USB issue when waking.. ie unplug then plug back in,

This is amateurish considering the outlay.

Angry from Oxford,

Reactions: micpoc and dbrewood

rasputin666

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2009
This is utter crap from Apple... I'm having to use a 3rd party monitor because it's the only one that will work on my M1
(HDMI) It's okay but my preferred display just will not work. (Glass screen)
So now I'm nearly in a position to buy a cinema display but will have to keep going backward and forwards to the shop to find one that will work my machine?

Complete and utter bollocks!!!

Am I angry?

Also - still have the USB issue when waking.. ie unplug then plug back in,

This is amateurish considering the outlay.

Angry from Oxford,
i agree 100% with the issue vs cost comparison, this should be easy for them to fix. I'm less emotional, however. i never shut down my Mac Studio. i never shut down any mac since 2007. my trashcan ran for 8 years w/o ever shutting down. just a reboot for security updates. so this issue, although really annoying, is a 2-4 times a year issue for me.

ZomZom

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2011
A pity that.
In the end on the new Mini I solved the problem by shifting from using a thunderbolt to DP adaptor to using a very high quality HDMI to HDMI cable. When using that solved the issue for me, that allowed me to back out all my 'fixes'.
Would you please provide a link or some information on the HDMI cable that fixed the issue?

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
Alas I can't it was bought in a local department store if I recall. It was the only one that'd work reliably with the 4K Apple TV. So buy one that is at least 4K certified I guess.

DeHub

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2021
After having trouble with my curved Samsung monitor since two years I was so frustrated that I bought a new BenQ Display which works since the first day on the same cable as the Samsung before. No trouble. No issue that the display doesn’t switch on after standby. This is pretty sure an issue with some displays (chipsets)

Sloatpro

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2022
My M1 (8gb/256) Mac mini doesn't seem to want to wake my displays after its been sleeping. I have tried with 2 different displays with 2 different HDMI cables with the same thing occurring on each one. I am currently only using one at a time. I also noticed some pink squares/graphics glitches on the Big Sur boot/log in screen (with the coloured background, not the black and white boot up)

I am going to leave it with the display set to never sleep for now to see if anything is different after leaving it for a while.

Any one else having similar issues? I don't have a USB-C to HDMI or DisplayPort to try currently.
What works is shortcut Alt-Cmd-Eject. After moving the mouse or press a key the screen will awake.

Sloatpro

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2022
My M1 (8gb/256) Mac mini doesn't seem to want to wake my displays after its been sleeping. I have tried with 2 different displays with 2 different HDMI cables with the same thing occurring on each one. I am currently only using one at a time. I also noticed some pink squares/graphics glitches on the Big Sur boot/log in screen (with the coloured background, not the black and white boot up)

I am going to leave it with the display set to never sleep for now to see if anything is different after leaving it for a while.

Any one else having similar issues? I don't have a USB-C to HDMI or DisplayPort to try currently.
Use shortcut Alt-Cmd-Eject. After moving the mouse or press a key the screen will awake

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
After having trouble with my curved Samsung monitor since two years I was so frustrated that I bought a new BenQ Display which works since the first day on the same cable as the Samsung before. No trouble. No issue that the display doesn’t switch on after standby. This is pretty sure an issue with some displays (chipsets)

A bit of a surprise as I think that BenQ is a budget monitor while Samsung covers the whole range in pricing and features.

I just stick with the Dell Ultrasharp line and am very happy. I had problems at one point but they were due to cables. I'm picky about cable brands now.

DeHub

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2021
A bit of a surprise as I think that BenQ is a budget monitor while Samsung covers the whole range in pricing and features.

I just stick with the Dell Ultrasharp line and am very happy. I had problems at one point but they were due to cables. I'm picky about cable brands now.
As said, this is specific to the monitor. I think some Samsung will work great. I had a Samsung U32R592CWU and this didn't work. The same monitor works on a Windows PC and a XBOX Series S without an issue...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.