Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
Okay... that seems to have fixed my waking from sleep issue... many thanks.

Now I really need to get my old display back, I have to have a glass screen!

Reactions: pshufd

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
Ah... it's come back, also I notice the USB has stopped working, so no input from keyboard or mouse!

I have to reconnect the USB and that usually works.

Oh brother - not happy.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I'm amazed that these problems persist as they all seem like software issues. Apple should be more aggressive about diagnosing and fixing these.

I have absolutely no problems with my M1 mini - hooked up to dual 4k monitors and two USB hubs with about 8 devices attached (external SSD, Time Machine, mouse, keyboard, USB flashlight, Lightening cables for charging mobile devices and even a 30-pin cable for charging my iPad 2. It took a while to get here as I had issues with some cables but things are stable.

Reactions: bhtwo

JayGarcia

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2022
I too also have this problem. I have an M1 Mac Mini and a Dell U2718Q. I have it connected currently via USB-C - Display Port. To force it to wake up I disconnect the USB-C connector and connect it back.

Phill
Have had exactly the same problems with my Mac mini 2016.
I got myself a new monitor, Dell.
This one worked without problems for years and I thought it was the monitor.

Then, all of a sudden, it started again, 06.2022.
Got me all the cables and different monitors....In the end, it was a simple swap of the outlet.

Believe me, I have been dealing with this problem for 6 years and since the problem reappeared June 2022 investigated again.
Constantly you let, Apple knows and wants to take care of it. Nowhere on the net I have found solutions.
Never would I have thought that it could be due to this. So try it out with pleasure, I hope very much that you can solve the problem with it.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I have an M1 mini hooked up to a Dell U2720Q via an 18-inch USB-C cable and it sends the display signal and takes care of several USB devices. No problems with sleep. I have had it hooked up to a pair of Dell U2718Q monitors in the past and had problems but I bought better cables and didn't see the sleep or black screen problems afterwards.

Reactions: osplo

Sloatpro

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2022
My M1 (8gb/256) Mac mini doesn't seem to want to wake my displays after its been sleeping. I have tried with 2 different displays with 2 different HDMI cables with the same thing occurring on each one. I am currently only using one at a time. I also noticed some pink squares/graphics glitches on the Big Sur boot/log in screen (with the coloured background, not the black and white boot up)

I am going to leave it with the display set to never sleep for now to see if anything is different after leaving it for a while.

Any one else having similar issues? I don't have a USB-C to HDMI or DisplayPort to try currently.
Hi,

There is a simple solution to this problem
Goto to the menubar Apple->Sleep after moving the mouse or press a key the screen will awake
If the menu is on the HDMI screen use the shortcut Shift-Ctrl-Cmd-Eject after moving the mouse or press a key the screen will awake

Sloatpro

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2022
My M1 (8gb/256) Mac mini doesn't seem to want to wake my displays after its been sleeping. I have tried with 2 different displays with 2 different HDMI cables with the same thing occurring on each one. I am currently only using one at a time. I also noticed some pink squares/graphics glitches on the Big Sur boot/log in screen (with the coloured background, not the black and white boot up)

I am going to leave it with the display set to never sleep for now to see if anything is different after leaving it for a while.

Any one else having similar issues? I don't have a USB-C to HDMI or DisplayPort to try currently.
Hi,

Somehow there is a difference between putting a HDMI display timebased to sleep and directly using sleep
To solve this put the mac mini directly to sleep
Goto to the menubar Apple->Sleep after moving the mouse or press a key the screen will awake
If the menu is on the HDMI screen use the shortcut Alt-Cmd-Eject after moving the mouse or press a key the screen will awake

Last edited:

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
Hi,

If the menu is on the HDMI screen use the shortcut Shift-Ctrl-Cmd-Eject after moving the mouse or press a key the screen will awake
I think you have missed the point of this thread,

Doh!

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
No I didn't miss it. Somehow there is a difference between putting a HDMI display timebased to sleep and directly using sleep
Okay...I've never scheduled sleep on my mac - I just press sleep from the apple menu.

Will not wake the display on mouse press or keyboard.

I'm thinking it may be a USB issue.

So...?

To be continued...

Todd H

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2002
Eastman, Georgia
I hate this damn bug. It's been driving me crazy for a couple of years now. I've tried everything, even the solution mentioned by dbrewood. Tried multiple monitors. Nothing works. Unfortunately my monitors don't have displayport, just HDMI so I can't try USB to displayport. Getting tired of having to do a hard shutdown. Might just disable sleep permanently. Can't believe Apple can't fix this after all this time.

Reactions: bhtwo

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
I hate this damn bug. It's been driving me crazy for a couple of years now. I've tried everything, even the solution mentioned by dbrewood. Tried multiple monitors. Nothing works. Unfortunately my monitors don't have displayport, just HDMI so I can't try USB to displayport. Getting tired of having to do a hard shutdown. Might just disable sleep permanently. Can't believe Apple can't fix this after all this time.
Agreed... bloody Macs.

ZomZom

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2011
I also have this problem when changing inputs. I have an Xbox and a PS5 connected to the same monitor as the Mac Mini. When switching back from the Xbox or PS5 the display often will report "no signal." I've had this problem on multiple monitors/TVs and multiple Mac Minis over the years. Would love to be able to put this one in the rearview mirror.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
So, it’s not just me then. With my Mac Mini M1, I personally don’t think it ‘sleeps’. Yes, the monitor goes off after 20 or 30 minutes (don’t remember the exact timeframe). But…

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
Likely it doesn't sleep which I can live with I guess. I have turned off hard drive sleeping.

HDMI 2.1 may help but as my monitor is 8-9 years old it is not aware of the increase in standards. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.