Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum; joining as I too am having this issue.

Brand new M1 Mac Mini. LG 27MD5KL monitor connected by TB.

The monitor is not waking after sleep.

Can anyone confirm that they have had this issue, had the Mac replaced by Apple, and the new Mac worked perfectly?

If a replacement has worked for others I'll demand a replacement within the remorse period.

TIA
I have the exact same setup, and only recently have been experiencing this annoying problem (bought them last December).
Problem does not occur when connecting my 16 inch MacBook Pro. It's definitely an issue with the Mac mini, NOT the LG display.

Going to contact Apple about this tomorrow.

vkouk

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2021
I have the exact same setup, and only recently have been experiencing this annoying problem (bought them last December).
Problem does not occur when connecting my 16 inch MacBook Pro. It's definitely an issue with the Mac mini, NOT the LG display.

Going to contact Apple about this tomorrow.
I have the same issue on my MBP 16 inch :(

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020
I've started having this issue in the last week or so. I think it may be related to the installation of BigSur 11.5.1.

Can any of you who've recently seen the problem please confirm whether it coincided with the OS update?

There is a 11.5.2 update, but some people are also having Thunderbolt problems with it....

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
There has been a minor change for me after 11.5.1 in that my second monitor sometimes takes two or three seconds to come up on wake. It's not an issue in practice as the password screen comes up instantly and I have to enter my password. So the update may have made a slight difference.

Reactions: Fomalhaut

Cassandle

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2020
I had this consistently when I first got my M1 Mini, and then it cleared up. It’s started happening again in the past week since I switched from using USB-C to HDMI (I need the USB-C for my work laptop) on my LG 27UL850.

The only way I can get the screen back on again is to switch the power off on the Mini. Not ideal if you’re doing work!

UH8183

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2021
Set the Mini up not to sleep (not needed with an SSD) or use sleep schedule. Sleep schedule does not need keyboard input so it always works.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Set the Mini up not to sleep (not needed with an SSD) or use sleep schedule. Sleep schedule does not need keyboard input so it always works.
What also always worked for me was to remote into the sleeping M1 Mac. For whatever reason that always woke the Mac and the screen. Not sure how well that works though if you are sharing a display between the M1 Mac and the client PC/Mac.

RiderX

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
I had this problem with all updates of MacOS. Then I changed the HDMI-cable. Problem gone.

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020
What also always worked for me was to remote into the sleeping M1 Mac. For whatever reason that always woke the Mac and the screen. Not sure how well that works though if you are sharing a display between the M1 Mac and the client PC/Mac.
I thought of this but found when my M1 Mini had this problem that it *also* disappeared from the network, so I couldn't remote login. It must get into some sort of hibernation state; maybe I can play with "pmset" to change this behaviour?

The only consistent fix (other than hard shutdown) is to remove and re-connect the TB3 cable that connects to my CalDigit hub.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I thought of this but found when my M1 Mini had this problem that it *also* disappeared from the network, so I couldn't remote login. It must get into some sort of hibernation state; maybe I can play with "pmset" to change this behaviour?

The only consistent fix (other than hard shutdown) is to remove and re-connect the TB3 cable that connects to my CalDigit hub.
Interesting. It usually takes quite a number of hours before a Mac will hibernate. It didn’t wake from hibernation when you tapped the keyboard? Very strange.

macnavi

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2021
Eton Wick, UK
This issue has been with my M1 MBP 13 since the start, February 2021. I was waiting the updates, but 11.6 still has not fixed it. Tried two different adapters, two different screens. It doesn't happen when you put it to sleep and wake it up after a few minutes, but waking it up from an overnight rest does. Pretty sure if I bring it in to the Apple Store, they'll end up replacing the logic board. Battery drains by itself even when turned off, 50% per week. Also there I'm not the only one. So seems some flaws are in this batch or model.

Reactions: Stephen Hawkins

Cassandle

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2020
Still having this issue with my M1 Mini. The only way to get the screen back on is to switch the power off on the Mini, which is not ideal!

Getting a bit peeved off now as it’s happening 2-3 time per week.

It happened on USB-C and now on HDMI.

Reactions: Stephen Hawkins

undergroundblue

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2021
My M1 Mac Mini is connected to a Samsung 49" monitor using a DP-to-USB-C cable w/ 8K support.

Monitor aspect ratio is 32:9.

The display NEVER responds when I try to wake. Once my M1 Mac goes to sleep, the display will never come back UNLESS I disconnect the DP-to-USB-C cable from the M1 Mac's TB slot and re-connect it.

Finding myself doing this 5-10 times per day. It's very annoying and frustrating knowing to have invested in a top-of-the-line M1 Mac Mini and such a beautiful super-ultrawide monitor only to result in such a crappy daily wake routine.

Cassandle

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2020
My M1 Mac Mini is connected to a Samsung 49" monitor using a DP-to-USB-C cable w/ 8K support.

Monitor aspect ratio is 32:9.

The display NEVER responds when I try to wake. Once my M1 Mac goes to sleep, the display will never come back UNLESS I disconnect the DP-to-USB-C cable from the M1 Mac's TB slot and re-connect it.

Finding myself doing this 5-10 times per day. It's very annoying and frustrating knowing to have invested in a top-of-the-line M1 Mac Mini and such a beautiful super-ultrawide monitor only to result in such a crappy daily wake routine.
I feel your pain. My situation is not as extreme as yours, but it’s happening once or twice a week. Only way I can resolve the issue is to switch the Mac off and on again.

It also seems to lose Bluetooth connection to the Magic keyboard (mine is an older, battery-powered one). And the trackpad doesn’t seem to wake it, so when I try and log back in I have to find a spare wired keyboard.

Overall I’m pretty frustrated. The Mini is superb, apart from this issue, but the issue does make me wish I’d held out for the M1 iMac instead.

ChuckEz

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2021
I bought 3 M1 Mac Mini's and only one won't wake up from sleep. Seams like something in just a few. instead of sleep, I have to schedule a shut down at night and prevent computer from sleeping automatically when display is off.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I bought 3 M1 Mac Mini's and only one won't wake up from sleep. Seams like something in just a few. instead of sleep, I have to schedule a shut down at night and prevent computer from sleeping automatically when display is off.

I was wondering if it was individual machine defects because I've seen so many with no problems at all and others with chronic problems.

jk_welsh

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2021
Just purchased a brand new Mini M1 (16GB & 1TB drive) connected to a new HDMI Samsung monitor (28" UHD LU28R55) Im using the Samsung provided HDMI cable.

Im having the same issue with display not waking from sleep, even though the Mini is (I can see the LED's come to life)
Ive also had issues with bluetooth mouse not automatically connecting after unit is powered down - which is a real pain (my workaround is plugging in a cheap wired mouse and adding it via the BT setup)

To bring the monitor back I need to toggle the on/off button on the monitor :(

Ive just unchecked the Sleep HDD box in the energy setting, lets see if that makes any difference.

Last edited:

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Just purchased a brand new Mini M1 (16GB & 1TB drive) connected to a new HDMI Samsung monitor (28" UHD LU28R55) Im using the Samsung provided HDMI cable.

Im having the same issue with display not waking from sleep, even though the Mini is (I can see the LED's come to life)
Ive also had issues with bluetooth mouse not automatically connecting after unit is powered down - which is a real pain (my workaround is plugging in a cheap wired mouse and adding it via the BT setup)

Ive just unchecked the Sleep HDD box in the energy setting, lets see if that makes any difference.

Please post your findings in the monitor thread.

Reactions: jk_welsh

jk_welsh

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2021

Well that didn't make any difference!

Monitor still didn't wake after a couple of hours sleep, so had to revert to power cycling the monitor.

Will try a USB-C to DP connection when the lead arrives over the weekend.

jk_welsh

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2021
Well that didn't make any difference!

Monitor still didn't wake after a couple of hours sleep, so had to revert to power cycling the monitor.

Will try a USB-C to DP connection when the lead arrives over the weekend.
USB-C to DP connection did not make any difference, the monitor will still not automatically wake from sleep when the Mini is awakened with a key stroke or mouse movement.

From what Ive observed, it appears to be an issue after the Mini actually goes into sleep mode, as opposed to the monitor going to sleep - since a sleeping monitor alone does indeed wake up on key or mouse activation. Leave it a couple of hours however and the monitor is completely non-responsive, only restoring when its power cycled.

I raised a ticket with Apple Support, but wont be holding my breath for a fix anytime soon as this problem seems to be well documented across a number of different forums, so far without resolution.

Last edited:

jk_welsh

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2021
So, after playing around a bit, I think I have found a workaround, that works for me anyway.

I have added a generic Usb-C mini dock that includes an HDMI port, and plugged my monitor into that instead of the onboard HDMI port. The monitor is now coming out of sleep when the Mini is woken up via keystroke or mouse movement.

Its a work around, and I only have 1 monitor, so it works for me, at least until Apple address the bug associated with the HDMI Port ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.