Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phat^Trance

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
for me it works works by setting the DP to 1.2, but somehow im still getting 5120x1440 @120hz. Shouldnt be possible with this resolution since 4k only supports 60hz on DP 1.2.

barry.pearson

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2016
England
This appears to be monitor specific. I've just swapped over to another monitor and no-longer have issues with the Mac mini waking up from sleep. My previous monitor I had issues with was a 4K Samsung U28D590 and the new monitor that doesn't have any issues is a BenQ EX35601R (3440x1440p).

MrZippyUK

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2016
Worst thing for me is I’ve got the money to purchase a Mac mini, but I don’t want any added hassle! I’m not buying until this issue is resolved.

PBL_1

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2020
I´m not ready to declare it totally fixed, but 11.3 has definately helped here with at 4k monitor attached via an USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adapter.

Reactions: osplo

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Still having issues with 11.3. The USB-C monitor wakes, the HDMI monitor does not.
I’m also having good luck with USB-C to DisplayPort on my M1 MBA. In the past few months I’ve solved the problem by using a USB-C dock but I’ve been testing by directly connecting my MBA to a 24” LG 4K monitor. It has woken from sleep every time. Compared to almost never waking the last time I checked. I haven’t tried HDMI so I will have to switch to that to see how it goes.

mailo

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2015
Winnipeg, Canada
My monitor is a Samsung C49RG90 (https://www.samsung.com/ca/monitors/gaming/super-ultra-wide-dual-qhd-32-9-gaming-monitor-49-inch-lc49rg90ssnxza)

This monitor doesn't have USB-C (aka Thunderbolt 3) and I'm thinking that this issue is only with DisplayPort interface (tried v1.2 and v1.4).
After the update I could use 5140x1440 @120Hz with the official Moshi USB-C to Displayport but when mac mini goes to sleep, it never recovers the display signal.

No problems using HDMI 2.0 (and sleeping recovery) but the max resolution I get is 3840x1080 @60 Hz in scaled mode.

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
This appears to be monitor specific. I've just swapped over to another monitor and no-longer have issues with the Mac mini waking up from sleep. My previous monitor I had issues with was a 4K Samsung U28D590 and the new monitor that doesn't have any issues is a BenQ EX35601R (3440x1440p).
Unfortunately, not in my case. I have the problem with a Pro Display XDR and an LG 5K.

On the other hand, this only happens occasionally and this BT issue is nothing compared to the nightmare 5K iMac I had last---the keyboard and trackpad would twitch out constantly if they were not connected with a wire.

For whatever reason, Apple products, mine at least (including my iPhone), are always experiencing a BT issue of one sort or another.

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
Unfortunately, not in my case. I have the problem with a Pro Display XDR and an LG 5K.

On the other hand, this only happens occasionally and this BT issue is nothing compared to the nightmare 5K iMac I had last---the keyboard and trackpad would twitch out constantly if they were not connected with a wire.

For whatever reason, Apple products, mine at least (including my iPhone), are always experiencing a BT issue of one sort or another.
Could it be that there is a source of BT "noise" somewhere near? Any suspicious device or equipment that could be emitting something that makes all the others confused? Maybe one from a neighbor?

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
Could it be that there is a source of BT "noise" somewhere near? Any suspicious device or equipment that could be emitting something that makes all the others confused? Maybe one from a neighbor?
That was my initial thought. I have moved set ups to multiple rooms in the house. Same issue. Hard resets, clean wipes, basement, first floor and second floor. The problem persists :-(

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
My monitor is a Samsung C49RG90 (https://www.samsung.com/ca/monitors/gaming/super-ultra-wide-dual-qhd-32-9-gaming-monitor-49-inch-lc49rg90ssnxza)

This monitor doesn't have USB-C (aka Thunderbolt 3) and I'm thinking that this issue is only with DisplayPort interface (tried v1.2 and v1.4).
After the update I could use 5140x1440 @120Hz with the official Moshi USB-C to Displayport but when mac mini goes to sleep, it never recovers the display signal.

No problems using HDMI 2.0 (and sleeping recovery) but the max resolution I get is 3840x1080 @60 Hz in scaled mode.
Sorry to hear that. For what it is worth, I’m using the same USB-C to DP Moshi cable and it is now working great with my 24” LG 4K display (24UD58-B).

defean

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2017
This wake up issue is still not fixed in 11.4.... My Mini occasionally still can't wake up my LG 5k display (and if it wakes up, then quite often there are other issues which make a reboot necessary(background black, dock invisible, etc.)).

With my last Intel Mini I suffered through 12 month of pain with display issues caused by the usage of an eGPU (Blackmagic) and now the M1 Mini again is having display issues. Why is this so hard and Apple can't even manage to ensure the seamless operation of their hardware with products they even endorse, like Blackmagic and the LG 5k? I never had similar issues with any of my MacBook Pro's. Only the Mac mini gives me that kind of trouble. :mad:

toasted ICT

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2010
Sydney
I have a 2018 mac Mini purchased late 2019 new from Apple...with the "wont wake from sleep with Bluetooth keyboard and mouse" problem.

I have tried three different displays with different interfaces
i have purchased brand new apple kb and mouse.
reset nvram, smc etc
nothing fixes the problem
apple help is no help
i have to force power off the unit and power it back on to get it going again. it works for a few days before failing to wake again. Just rubbish.

this is just a "feature" of the mac mini. Google searches show thousands of people with this problem over many years and many models and no fix found.

as a last resort i am currently rebuilding the mini to factory settings (no apps, no data) having totally formatted the HD. I dont expect this will fix the problem either but its the last card to play.

Then I will give up trying and chalk it up to buyer beware.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
I have a 2018 mac Mini purchased late 2019 new from Apple...with the "wont wake from sleep with Bluetooth keyboard and mouse" problem.

I have tried three different displays with different interfaces
i have purchased brand new apple kb and mouse.
reset nvram, smc etc
nothing fixes the problem
apple help is no help
i have to force power off the unit and power it back on to get it going again. it works for a few days before failing to wake again. Just rubbish.

this is just a "feature" of the mac mini. Google searches show thousands of people with this problem over many years and many models and no fix found.

as a last resort i am currently rebuilding the mini to factory settings (no apps, no data) having totally formatted the HD. I dont expect this will fix the problem either but its the last card to play.

Then I will give up trying and chalk it up to buyer beware.

What was the outcome? Thanks

sledge89

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2021
Try: System Preferences / Mission Control / De-Select “Displays have separate Spaces” / Log Out / Log In

toasted ICT

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2010
Sydney
What was the outcome? Thanks

I hope this helps you resolve the problem. It did for me.

TL;DR
2018 model Mac mini (purchased new in 2019 from Apple) will not wake HDMI connected monitor. Fails to do so every few days. Force power off of mac is only way to restart its HDMI port.

Solution:
Give up using the mac mini HDMI port... it has a design fault I believe.
Instead, connect the monitor using a Thunderbolt USB C to HDMI converter.
USB C at the mac mini, HDMI at the monitor.
Has worked for over a month without problem recurring.

DETAILS
I use my mac mini as my digital music source. Its on most of the time. When I am not using it I just use the shortcut key combination to switch off the monitor.

I use a Bluetooth Keyboard Mouse. The monitor is connected by HDMI.

When I go to use the Mac mini, tapping the keyboard or moving the mouse has zero effect - it will not wake the monitor ie: no signal sent to the monitor. The monitor screen stays off.

To try to resolve the problem I have:
Contacted Apple Support many many times
Allowed Apple remote access to "diagnose"
Reset SMC
Reset NVRAM (PRAM)
Used 3 different monitors (all HDMI connected)
Reset the mac to factory settings and then rebuilt it from scratch
Replace K/M with new Apple keyboard and mouse
Updated the OS many times over the last two years
Nothing fixed it.
Very, very frustrating.

Then I connected the mac mini to my monitor using USB C to HDMI converter. I used a ALOGIC Ultra USB-C (Male) to HDMI 4K (Female) Adapter from JB HiFi. This seems to have resolved it....over 6 weeks now and no repeat of the problem for me.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I’m pretty sure it is a software problem. At least on my M1 MacBook Air I can always get the monitor to wake up by remoting in from another computer. I have no idea why Apple seems incapable of fixing this bug.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
I hope this helps you resolve the problem. It did for me.

TL;DR
2018 model Mac mini (purchased new in 2019 from Apple) will not wake HDMI connected monitor. Fails to do so every few days. Force power off of mac is only way to restart its HDMI port.

Solution:
Instead, connect the monitor using a Thunderbolt USB C to HDMI converter.
USB C at the mac mini, HDMI at the monitor.
Has worked for over a month without problem recurring.

DETAILS
I use my mac mini as my digital music source. Its on most of the time. When I am not using it I just use the shortcut key combination to switch off the monitor.

I use a Bluetooth Keyboard Mouse. The monitor is connected by HDMI.

When I go to use the Mac mini, tapping the keyboard or moving the mouse has zero effect - it will not wake the monitor ie: no signal sent to the monitor. The monitor screen stays off.

To try to resolve the problem I have:
Contacted Apple Support many many times
Allowed Apple remote access to "diagnose"
Reset SMC
Reset NVRAM (PRAM)
Used 3 different monitors (all HDMI connected)
Reset the mac to factory settings and then rebuilt it from scratch
Replace K/M with new Apple keyboard and mouse
Updated the OS many times over the last two years
Nothing fixed it.
Very, very frustrating.

Then I connected the mac mini to my monitor using USB C to HDMI converter. I used a ALOGIC Ultra USB-C (Male) to HDMI 4K (Female) Adapter from JB HiFi. This seems to have resolved it....over 6 weeks now and no repeat of the problem for me.
Thanks for sharing. Do you have a link for ALOGIC Ultra USB-C?

GoonVB

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2021
Hi there, hope this helps some one.

Contacted apple support about this issue, I only have one monitor, but it was not waking up.

Support told me to do some troubleshooting, and what I did was create a new admin account and test this situation with the new admin account. No issues were found. Everything worked as it was supposed to.

Now they’re going to clean and repair my account, according to them. They told me also that this is an known software issue, and if the “account test” had failed, I had to reinstall the SO.

Cheers.

toasted ICT

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2010
Sydney
Hi there, hope this helps some one.

Contacted apple support about this issue, I only have one monitor, but it was not waking up.

Support told me to do some troubleshooting, and what I did was create a new admin account and test this situation with the new admin account. No issues were found. Everything worked as it was supposed to.

Now they’re going to clean and repair my account, according to them. They told me also that this is an known software issue, and if the “account test” had failed, I had to reinstall the SO.

Cheers.
Yes I got the same story from Apple support ie: "create a new account. If it continues then reload the OS."
Doesn't work.
I put my Mac mini back to factory settings.
I completely erased the HD and reinstalled the Operating System from scratch.
Then I reconfigured everything and reinstalled the applications.
Didn't fix it... just wasted a lot of my time.
I remain convinced its an inherent problem with the HDMI port or the software that drives the HDMI port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.