Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gunnerfitzy

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2021
Cork, Ireland
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum; joining as I too am having this issue.

Brand new M1 Mac Mini. LG 27MD5KL monitor connected by TB.

The monitor is not waking after sleep.

Can anyone confirm that they have had this issue, had the Mac replaced by Apple, and the new Mac worked perfectly?

If a replacement has worked for others I'll demand a replacement within the remorse period.

TIA

NickRno77

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
Hertfordshire, UK
I have a Mac Mini M1 connected to a LG 34WL750 34" WQHD IPS Ultrawide Monitor. HDMI.

i have problems sometimes after a reboot or boot from cold. Monitor just fails to show anything, black screen. If I resync the the port (switch to display port the back to hdmi) from the LG Monitor menu it’s usually comes alive again, even disconnecting/connecting the hdmi sometimes work.

I don’t let it sleep btw so once it’s up its ok.

Reactions: gunnerfitzy

rjalex

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
Rome, Italy
Have to report that since I hooked up an LG 32 inch HDR 4K display (via the DP connector) I have never run into screen not waking problems anymore. Been 2 months now. HTH
PS Very happy about this monitor

Reactions: NickRno77

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
My mini is hooked up to two Dell monitors. One monitor would wake and the other wouldn't. The one that would wake doesn't have Auto Select. The one that wouldn't wake had it turned on. I turned off Auto Select and the problem went away. So this turned out to be a either a monitor issue or a combination M1/monitor issue.

NickRno77

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
Hertfordshire, UK
When I decommission my Windows PC which only has DP I’ll try hooking my Mac Mini M1 with the DP (thunderbolt) port. It’s a pity because it doesn’t have an abundance of USB and Thunderbolt Ports.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
When I decommission my Windows PC which only has DP I’ll try hooking my Mac Mini M1 with the DP (thunderbolt) port. It’s a pity because it doesn’t have an abundance of USB and Thunderbolt Ports.

If I wanted to move to 100% Mac, I'd have to get two M1 minis as I run with four monitors. I have considered getting a 27 inch Intel iMac to go all Mac but it doesn't make sense so close to the M1X launches.

NickRno77

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
Hertfordshire, UK
Have to report that since I hooked up an LG 32 inch HDR 4K display (via the DP connector) I have never run into screen not waking problems anymore. Been 2 months now. HTH
PS Very happy about this monitor
Did you use a usb c to display port cable? Im wondering if I could use a hdmi to DisplayPort cable/adapter, any ideas if this would work?

toasted ICT

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2010
Sydney
Bit of an update... since applying the fix I described in this tread I have had zero problems....been several months now.

See my previous posts....I remain convinced the mac mini HDMI port has a design fault...Using a Thunderbolt USB C to HDMI converter. USB C at the mac mini, HDMI at the monitor.

GoonVB

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2021
Bit of an update... since applying the fix I described in this tread I have had zero problems....been several months now.

See my previous posts....I remain convinced the mac mini HDMI port has a design fault...Using a Thunderbolt USB C to HDMI converter. USB C at the mac mini, HDMI at the monitor.

I reset my account and had no problem with one monitor.

Now that I have two, one connected via hdmi and the other via usb c to hdmi, I have the opposite situation to your description…

The monitor that I have plugged to the hdmi port wakes up every time, while the one connected to the usb c port fails to wake some times! ??‍♂️

vkouk

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2021
Hey,

new member here.
I got a MacBook Pro 16 hooked up with two dell external monitors model u2721de connected via ivanky dual docking station pro, and I am in the same position as you. After trying to wake up my laptop which was on sleep for more than 12 hours, it won’t power my monitors while if I unplug and plug back the dual usb c cable it will just work fine.
I am running on latest Big Sur software

any idea what the heck is going on ?
Stay safe

Ultron

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2020
Hey,

new member here.
I got a MacBook Pro 16 hooked up with two dell external monitors model u2721de connected via ivanky dual docking station pro, and I am in the same position as you. After trying to wake up my laptop which was on sleep for more than 12 hours, it won’t power my monitors while if I unplug and plug back the dual usb c cable it will just work fine.
I am running on latest Big Sur software

any idea what the heck is going on ?
Stay safe
I had that same issue on my Dell U2713HM. I switched to LG 34WL85C and no longer have this problem.

I think certain monitor models and firmware don't play well with M1 Mac/Big Sur. It's unfortunate that there's no known solution to this.

vkouk

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2021
I had that same issue on my Dell U2713HM. I switched to LG 34WL85C and no longer have this problem.

I think certain monitor models and firmware don't play well with M1 Mac/Big Sur. It's unfortunate that there's no known solution to this.
Thanks for your reply. Well I can’t just sell my monitor because of apples fault ?

also mine is the intel one, which makes it even more weird. I tried to see if dell has any option for sleep without luck

at least this is a known issue to all of us

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Thanks for your reply. Well I can’t just sell my monitor because of apples fault ?

also mine is the intel one, which makes it even more weird. I tried to see if dell has any option for sleep without luck

at least this is a known issue to all of us

Dell does have their own support forums where their own techs sometimes answer questions or provide comments.

Reactions: vkouk

knguyench

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2013
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum; joining as I too am having this issue.

Brand new M1 Mac Mini. LG 27MD5KL monitor connected by TB.

The monitor is not waking after sleep.

Can anyone confirm that they have had this issue, had the Mac replaced by Apple, and the new Mac worked perfectly?

If a replacement has worked for others I'll demand a replacement within the remorse period.

TIA
Did you slove this problem? How could I do it?

vkouk

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2021
UPDATE: by plugging my Mac directly to my dell monitor it woke up fine, but connected to a dock didn’t work ??

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
UPDATE: by plugging my Mac directly to my dell monitor it woke up fine, but connected to a dock didn’t work ??

I guess that's why I haven't had these issues. I have seen dock complaints since the 2016 MacBook Pros came out so I guess there are still issues with these things. I had looked for Thunderbolt 2 docks a long time ago but I always read negative comments about them in the reviews. They all seem to have problems here or there.

I just plug one display into HDML and one into the USB-C port. I then use two port hubs (one on a monitor) for connections.

k-hawinkler

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2011
I use HDMI, computer directly to LG monitor and USB-C through an OWC Dock.
The LG monitor has controls that I can use to activate one or the other connection.
Even when HDMI is active I need the USB-C connection to get power to the monitor built in USB hub.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I use HDMI, computer directly to LG monitor and USB-C through an OWC Dock.
The LG monitor has controls that I can use to activate one or the other connection.
Even when HDMI is active I need the USB-C connection to get power to the monitor built in USB hub.

Oh. One of my monitors has a straight USB-C connection but I've never used it. I'm using USB-C to DisplayPort. I have two other Dell 4K monitors and those don't have USB-C and I think that they don't require a signal to provide USB hub power. But I am not completely sure on that. I may have to dig out a USB-C cable to try this out.

k-hawinkler

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2011
Oh. One of my monitors has a straight USB-C connection but I've never used it. I'm using USB-C to DisplayPort. I have two other Dell 4K monitors and those don't have USB-C and I think that they don't require a signal to provide USB hub power. But I am not completely sure on that. I may have to dig out a USB-C cable to try this out.
Well my old DELL monitor gets power through the USB-A cable from the computer.
unfortunately the monitor built in hub broke so I no longer can use it to get power to an LED light.
Before I was talking about my new LG monitor attached to an M1 Mac mini.

vkouk

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2021
I guess that's why I haven't had these issues. I have seen dock complaints since the 2016 MacBook Pros came out so I guess there are still issues with these things. I had looked for Thunderbolt 2 docks a long time ago but I always read negative comments about them in the reviews. They all seem to have problems here or there.

I just plug one display into HDML and one into the USB-C port. I then use two port hubs (one on a monitor) for connections.
I have seen most of the users having issues after big sur upgrade too. I don't know if it's relevant to this

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Well my old DELL monitor gets power through the USB-A cable from the computer.
unfortunately the monitor built in hub broke so I no longer can use it to get power to an LED light.
Before I was talking about my new LG monitor attached to an M1 Mac mini.

I just checked the monitors and my M1 mini is hooked up to a U2515H and a U2718Q. There is a USB 3.0 printer cable running from the U2515H to the mini using one of the USB 3.0 ports. The U2718Q doesn't support USB-C and it has a USB 3.0 printer cable running to my Windows desktop (so the USB hub goes to the Windows system but the display is hooked up to the mini. I have not had problems with this setup and it's given me more charging ports.

I have an old Dell monitor where the power from the printer cable powers all of the USB ports. The newer monitors provide their own power. There are typically four or five USB ports and one of them may be a high-power port. I think that some of the USB ports can provide power even when the system is sleeping.

I have a U2720Q as well and that is USB-C and it's hooked up to the Windows desktop. I guess that the USB-C cable is doing at least double-duty in sending the monitor signals and USB signals. I suspect that the power for the USB ports, though, comes from the Monitor's PSU.

I've used powered USB 3.0 hubs before and haven't had any problems with them. This might be an option for more ports where you don't need a monitor dock.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I have seen most of the users having issues after big sur upgrade too. I don't know if it's relevant to this

It's hard for me to tell as the M1 mini is the only Big Sur system that I have running. I had avoided Catalina and Big Sur due to bad experiences upgrading from Mojave. My 2015 MacBook Pro is running Mojave and my 2014 MacBook Pro would also normally be running Mojave but it's on loan to my son and he's using it for work because his work laptop croaked. He's running High Sierra. My Late 2009 iMac is running High Sierra. I'm not sure what the 2007 MacBook Pro is running. My wife's 2018 mini is running Mojave.

I did play around with Monterey on an external drive and I really liked it. I think that it solves some of the performance issues that I saw with Big Sur on my older hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.