Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
Update:
It's a config error - firmware updated settings wiped out back to defaults - enabled VHT80 and it works. BUT, a huge BUT - this garbage m1 mini only supports 2x2!!??!?!?!? wow, this is just so apple-like. I'm seriously contemplating on returning this device, I get 3x3 on my intel 2020 MBP 2.0ghz machine, but this new mini only has 2x2 on top of that, single gigabit ethernet?!?

I just picked up this M1 Mac mini - I have some issues with 802.11ac connection - RSSI is great, -45dBm, noise, -95dBm, but the transmission rate is extremely crap, 156mbps - this is on 5GHz, VHT20 only, while my 2020 MBP 13 (intel 2.0/16GBRam) can connect just fine with full 1300mbps on same channel but supports VHT80.

This Mac mini will not switch to anything other than 5GHz, 20mhz bandwidth. There's got to be a fault with these new M1 wifi?! Anyone with same issues?

This is connected to an UAP-AC-HD with latest firmware - all other Mac devices (intel) has zero issues, except this brand new M1 mini.

TIA!

PS- M1 mini w/8G, 512GB storage. Logitech USB webcam C525 works without a hitch, bluetooth is fine, usb-c output to Dell 2520D display just fine, nothing except this wifi connection rate is piss poor. Unifiy UAP-AC-HD within 5 ft line of sight to new M1 mini, too.
It's such a deal breaker. I'd return it this instance. How dare they!

• Haha
Reactions: LuisN

Wortak

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2020
Gee if only there was another connection on it that had 40 Gigabits per second and you could buy some thing that connected to it and could get 10 Gigabit networking!
The available Thunderbolt 3 10Gbit Ethernet adapters are pretty crappy, the passiv-cooled ones are actually even overheating and crashing sometimes. They are not an option for server use.

raknor

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2020
The available Thunderbolt 3 10Gbit Ethernet adapters are pretty crappy, the passiv-cooled ones are actually even overheating and crashing sometimes. They are not an option for server use.
Moving the goal post. If it is for server use why not use the actively cooled ones unless it is not for real server use and but pretend use for internet bragging rights.

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
This makes zero sense when its the exact same SoC in the MacBook Pro so you'd think the Pro in MacBook means nothing? The Mac mini is more than capable and nowhere close to "low end" - just because it's priced the way it is (without display, keyboard, accessories) does not mean it is low end.
The M1 MBP is low end too.

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
Why don’t people use Ethernet with their desktop computers?

Especially if you live in a Wi-Fi congested area (apartments etc.) then you are just fighting for the available bandwidth.
Yes, I don't understand that either.

GiantKiwi

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2016
Cambridge, UK
Because the M1 Mini only has Gigabit Ethernet, but people want higher speeds?
Even on enterprise AP's, you're not going to be doing any better than a Gigabit Ethernet port with AX, because the spec isn't mature enough yet. We get maximum speed from Aruba AP515's only within 10ft of the AP, provided there is nothing in between emitting RF.

Reactions: unixfool and seezar

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
If you want max network speed and stability run a Cat 6 or 5e ethernet cable. After all, a Mini is a machine you do not move around.

And 80 Mhz wide wifi is subject to a lot of inference since you have reduced the number of non-overlapping down to 2. This defeats one of the main advantages of 5GHz over 2.4 GHz, that is more non-overlapping channels.

Last edited:
Reactions: unixfool

seezar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2018

If someone has a need for speeds faster than gigabit they wouldn’t choose a wifi connection nor would they choose this Mac. And if they did have this Mac it would be a much better option to choose the stability of the gigabit Ethernet. Besides current wifi specs and real world usage aren’t going to get you much faster than gigabit speeds if even that.

snakes-

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
Wifi is fast enough..... 5ghz wlan and fast router, even with vpn on, is my Air like a rocket :) reaction time on my machine is nearly zero, can handle a lot off internet tasks without lags or something.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Nov 2, 2020
I’m getting 1200Mbps on an 80MHz channel from my M1 MacBook Air running on a Wi-Fi 6 router.

Same here, very happy with it... glad to see M1 chip support for Wifi 6, looking forward to next year(s) as chips will take more advantage of wifi 6.... As I said, really happy with it right now!

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
This makes zero sense when its the exact same SoC in the MacBook Pro so you'd think the Pro in MacBook means nothing? The Mac mini is more than capable and nowhere close to "low end" - just because it's priced the way it is (without display, keyboard, accessories) does not mean it is low end.
Yes. I think the Pro in MacBook Pro means nothing.

The lowest end 13" MacBook Pro has been severely hampered compared to the next-up one for years. It simply isn't "Pro", and hasn't been for some time. (Heck, you could make the argument that the 13" MacBook Pro has *NEVER* been Pro, in any incarnation since its 2009 introduction. It has always had a "step behind" CPU, only getting quad-core CPUs a full 8 years after the 15" model got them (and other vendors had put quad-core chips in 13" thin-and-light laptops years before,) it has never had discrete graphics, (again, other vendors had included it years before,) it has generally been at least one generation behind in many pieces of technology introduced in the 15", etc. But the lowest-end one has always been the worst of the bunch.)

I think the M1 should have launched in the MacBook Air as the "high end" laptop and a resurrected "MacBook" either 12" like the most recent incarnation, or 13" with a chassis basically identical to the Pro, as it was for years. If they did the 12" ultra-thin MacBook, it would be the fanless model; if they did the 13" same-chassis-as-Pro, it could have a fan and make the Air fanless (basically have exactly what we have now, just remove the word "Pro" from the MacBook Pro) or remove the fan from the "MacBook" and let it be the lower-end model.

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas

The lowest end 13" MacBook Pro has been severely hampered compared to the next-up one for years. It simply isn't "Pro", and hasn't been for some time. (Heck, you could make the argument that the 13" MacBook Pro has *NEVER* been Pro, in any incarnation since its 2009 introduction. It has always had a "step behind" CPU, only getting quad-core CPUs a full 8 years after the 15" model got them (and other vendors had put quad-core chips in 13" thin-and-light laptops years before,) it has never had discrete graphics, (again, other vendors had included it years before,) it has generally been at least one generation behind in many pieces of technology introduced in the 15", etc. But the lowest-end one has always been the worst of the bunch.)

I think the M1 should have launched in the MacBook Air as the "high end" laptop and a resurrected "MacBook" either 12" like the most recent incarnation, or 13" with a chassis basically identical to the Pro, as it was for years. If they did the 12" ultra-thin MacBook, it would be the fanless model; if they did the 13" same-chassis-as-Pro, it could have a fan and make the Air fanless (basically have exactly what we have now, just remove the word "Pro" from the MacBook Pro) or remove the fan from the "MacBook" and let it be the lower-end model.
Somewhat agree.

Some take Pro to mean anyone who uses a computer to perform a job. I don't. Some, ME, think pro is used for marketing and once they named a pro SKU of the iPhone, they proved my point.

I'd predict 80-90% of Apple users don't need anything more than the Air. I'm a programer who uses one. Programing in most languages these days uses a Text Editor to alter code, a terminal to push to the server, etc, probably the most light weight tasks you could give a computer.

Spreadsheets, PPT, Word, Pages, Numbers Keynote, can all be accomplished with a Chromebook with 4GB of memory and 16gb of storage. I have done it.

When you start pushing the GPU combined with the CPU, 3d modeling or video compression etc, think Pixar, then you are into the need for PRO machines, high end machines. We consumers have created a monster in Apple for their designation of what is Pro or not.

zenodux

macrumors member
May 21, 2020
There are a few options out there. Here are two 10GB ethernet adapters that work at full speed with existing Cat6 or better ethernet cables at reasonable lengths.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Update:
It's a config error - firmware updated settings wiped out back to defaults - enabled VHT80 and it works. BUT, a huge BUT - this garbage m1 mini only supports 2x2!!??!?!?!? wow, this is just so apple-like. I'm seriously contemplating on returning this device, I get 3x3 on my intel 2020 MBP 2.0ghz machine, but this new mini only has 2x2 on top of that, single gigabit ethernet?!?

The entry level Macs have ALWAYS only supported 2x2 Mimo.

The Macbook Air, the entry level Mac mini, the MacBook Pro 13", the MacBook - all 2x2 Mimo.

Larger MacBook Pro and desktops are the only systems to have 3x3 Mimo.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
You wouldn't use RJ45 for server use, you'd use SFP+ cool and doesn't over heat.

• Haha
Reactions: duervo

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK

Or they could just do what they do and do it successful and you could stop obsessing over the marketing term "Pro".

Guess what the PS4 Pro isn't for "professional gamers" either, the iPhone Pro isn't for professional phone users, the AirPods Pro aren't for professional music listeners, the Surface Pro isn't for professional touch screen users, the iPad Pro isn't for professional iPad users, the Lumix Pro isn't for professional photographers. I could go on and on, you get the point, no one cares about the Pro moniker, it just means "some how better than the cheaper version"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.