Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
Had a change of heart after seeing an estimated trade-in of over $900 for my base M1 14" which is nearly twice what I was expecting Apple to offer... put in an order for the $2400 14" pro.
That's awesome! How did you spec it out?

For what it's worth, my M2 14" is actually not too bad with battery life. I get about 8-10 hours on lighter workloads and 5-8 on typical moderate workloads I throw at it during a normal workday, and I'm sure the M3 will probably be an improvement over that.

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
I bought my 14" M1 Max with 64GB RAM and 2TB SSD so I could keep it for 7-10 years. It was on sale for $2600 with AppleCare+ included from B&H, where I get the sales tax refunded. It's more power than I need now, but room to grow never hurts and it's been a lovely upgrade from my 2016 mid-range i7 with 16/512.

JaredJenkinsDesign

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2022
M1 Max Mac Studio owner here. I was considering upgrading to the M3 Max MBP since I do 3D rendering with Blender (in fact, rendering a project as we speak now) and would like some faster render speeds. Also since my old Intel MBP is lagging behind, it would be nice to consolidate my MBP and Mac Studio into one device.

Ultimately, I'm going against it since for my configuration, $4,200 is a lot of money, especially if I don't use the MBP that often away from my desk. Plus, the M1 Max is still crushing it for everything non-3D that I throw at it. Would be curious to hear if anybody else is in a similar situation.

Reactions: foliovision

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
That's awesome! How did you spec it out?

For what it's worth, my M2 14" is actually not too bad with battery life. I get about 8-10 hours on lighter workloads and 5-8 on typical moderate workloads I throw at it during a normal workday, and I'm sure the M3 will probably be an improvement over that.

Just got that config with no adjustments. I'm second guessing the decision as I missed the bit about the pro swapping 2 perf cores for 2 efficiency cores. Apple's slides show it has a similar 20% compute gain over the M1 Pro as did the M2 Pro. I may just cancel to see how reviews and benchmarks bear out the real benefits.

Because the Max goes in opposite direction - it still has 4 eff cores, but adds 4 or 6 more perf cores, it sees a much greater increase in compute. The TOL Max slide showed 80% increase in compute over the M1 Max. I imagine the battery life is going to take a big hit for either Max config though.

I've seen some youtubers surmise these wonky configs may have to do with poor initial chip yields leading to creative binning, and in particular the Pro swapping cores to improve yields to improve the per unit cost for that chip. The next 3Ne update should address all that. So yeah... might sit this round out if it's not a solid bump in practice.

Reactions: ArkSingularity

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
They're super cool, but even my 16" M1 Pro is overkill, I just went with it because I got it ~50% off open box at Best Buy. But I do want that space black, so I will wait a while until I find a similar deal on those (maybe after M4 drops) and sell this M1 Pro for hopefully half of the cost or so.

NeonNights

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2022
I bought my 14" M1 Max with 64GB RAM and 2TB SSD so I could keep it for 7-10 years. It was on sale for $2600 with AppleCare+ included from B&H, where I get the sales tax refunded. It's more power than I need now, but room to grow never hurts and it's been a lovely upgrade from my 2016 mid-range i7 with 16/512.

Congrats and similar here. 16" M1 Max 64GB/4TB for $2999 with tax refunded with B&H Payboo card, but without AppleCare+. The MBP 16 had so much storage I was able to return a 4TB NVMe at the time so the laptop was like a net $2750 to me. A similarly configured 16" M3 Max is $5200 before tax!

In the four months I've had the M1 Max, memory use has never exceeded 50%, lol. There's still a lot of breathing room to last me probably the next decade.

Last edited:

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
M1 MBP13 owner here (16GB/2TB). Definitely staying put unless/until they reduce the form factor, or until MBA gets 4TB storage. As a photography and graphics professional who travels, my primary need is local storage. 14 inch is too bulky for travel together with camera gear. Most of my work is done on an external monitor 'back home' so the improved screen is not necessary.
I have a similar setup with a M1 Air 16gb Memory and 2TB. I do real estate photography and like you would appreciate more storage beyond the 2TB without the need for an external drive. The 14" is enticing for performance but man the Air has been a dream coming from a larger 15" MacBook Pro. lol!

The only other change I would like to see is a brighter screen for those moments I'm outside or near a lot of windows.

Reactions: trusso

davidlgsmith

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2019
16 inch MacBook Pro M1 Max. Right now, I’m not upgrading. Might upgrade when they show up at the refurb store.

Anyone thinking of upgrading from a MacBook Pro to a Mac Studio. That what I’m thinking about.

Reactions: Misheemee and leifp

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
My M1 Macbook Pro can do everything I need it to, if I'm going to upgrade it would have to be for a Mac Studio, as I don't really need a laptop, I just got it before everything else was released

Reactions: Misheemee and loby

davidlgsmith

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2019
My M1 Macbook Pro can do everything I need it to, if I'm going to upgrade it would have to be for a Mac Studio, as I don't really need a laptop, I just got it before everything else was released
Agreed. right now it’s doing everything I need and it still has a good amount of overhead for future needs.

Reactions: Basic75

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
You are correct, I meant to write 2 not 3--sorry about that.

Yeah, I'm still undecided about the 16 and I take your point about it being heavier. I don't travel a lot with my MBP so maybe carrying it around on those limited occasions wouldn't be a huge deal in comparison to the extra screen real estate gained. My eyesight has declined a bit in the past few years making bigger screens more attractive sooner than I had planned.

Yeah - my aging eyesight also appreciates a bigger display. I travel just enough to make the 16" a non-starter and using the machine docked to a Studio display solves for the smaller display while at home. I did upgrade the 13" M2 Air to a 15" M2 Air and my eyes thank me every time that I pop it open.

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
Just got that config with no adjustments. I'm second guessing the decision as I missed the bit about the pro swapping 2 perf cores for 2 efficiency cores. Apple's slides show it has a similar 20% compute gain over the M1 Pro as did the M2 Pro. I may just cancel to see how reviews and benchmarks bear out the real benefits.

Because the Max goes in opposite direction - it still has 4 eff cores, but adds 4 or 6 more perf cores, it sees a much greater increase in compute. The TOL Max slide showed 80% increase in compute over the M1 Max. I imagine the battery life is going to take a big hit for either Max config though.

I've seen some youtubers surmise these wonky configs may have to do with poor initial chip yields leading to creative binning, and in particular the Pro swapping cores to improve yields to improve the per unit cost for that chip. The next 3Ne update should address all that. So yeah... might sit this round out if it's not a solid bump in practice.
Yea it waits to be seen how the 6+6 lineup performs. My guess is that it will probably be fairly comparable to the M2 Pro (unbinned one) in CPU benchmarks, which is still a sizable bump from the M1 but isn't necessarily game changing. There are fewer P-cores, but supposedly they're each about 15% faster than the M2 (according to Apple's benchmarks, that is).

Definitely some wonky binning this time around, especially on the 5+6 core model.

rickeames

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2008
I thought about it, but outside of battery life, I am pretty happy with my M1 Max 14" with 64GB of Ram and 2TB drive. If I do any sort of upgrade, it would be to get the M3 Max studio (when it comes out) and an air as my laptop. I end up using my 14" primarily as a desktop plugged into my studio display, so a Mac Studio would be best for that setup and a very light "carrying" Mac for my travels, inside the house, etc.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
I use the 14 M1 Max MBP 64gb 2 tb and am considering the 14 M3 Max 128gb 2tb [or possibly 16" pending a few things for the studio].
Love the black but will be getting silver again, as it is the best colour to compliment everything else I have.

I will be waiting however, to see how the software performs and what is working with the raytracing. No real rush as the PC's take up all the raytracing slack at present [I look forward to seeing comparison tests].

elmarjazz

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
I’m here in Japan, and I believe APPLE folks in other non-USA countries are in the same situation. With the strong USD, a new MBP is just not in the cards. I have a base model MBP M1 and although yes the new MBP M3 is an upgrade in processing power, everything else has stayed the same, and it costs almost 2x as much! (base model with 3-USB ports, multi-display use) as I bought this M1 for just a couple years ago. The fact that the M1 does everything so well that I use it for, and was a huge jump in performance from my MBP 2015, I’m staying content and happy for probably the forseeable future.

cmpedicini-13

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Staying put on my nearly decked out 16” M1 Max (sans the 8TB). I’ve got 32C / 64GB / 4TB. Runs plenty fast, even though I’m still on Monterey.

Biggest need for oomph: YT (I use FCP & DaVinci Resolve for editing) or Dragon in Windows VM via Parallels; I’m one handed typing without the voice dictation as left hand lacks dexterity. Running Windows 11 alongside is only time I’ve hit swap and memory leaks.

Only thing I see worthy from the M3 so far is 128GB RAM.

bluesteel

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2007
Earth
I have a 16” MBP M1 Max. I really like that new space black color on the M3, however, I‘m still really happy with my M1 Max. I use it 8 hours a day, and two years later, it still feels like a new computer to me. I haven’t once thought, “I wish it were faster” or ”I wish I had more memory or disk storage“. I think I did it right the first time with getting the 32GB/2TB model. I have been using Apple laptops since the 3400c. Before Apple Silicon, I literally upgraded my MBP every year or every two years. This is the first time in my life where I think I’m going to hold onto a MBP for 4-5 years. I think my next MBP will be the M5.

Reactions: AeroSatan

pudcraft

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Houston
Starting to regret ordering the M3 Max 16”, coming from an M1 Pro 14”. I’m slightly bottlenecked by 16GB ram on my 14 but that’s really it. The M1 Pro performs just fine and not sure I can justify dropping $4k for 2” screen gain, more RAM, and a 30% boost.

I may be canceling and waiting for M4

Reactions: AeroSatan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.