Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CutePenguin06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2020
I purchased a 16GB 512GB M1 Macbook Pro from Apple's website on 11/12. It shipped on 17/12 via UPS, who estimated a delivery date of 23/12. This was all perfect, and the package was regularly updating so I figured this would be fine and it would reach me by 23/12. On 22/12, it was still in Cologne, Germany and hadn't departed, so I was a little concerned but UPS reassured me it would be delivered on time. I wake up on 23/12 to a notification that reads 'The package is delayed due to Eurotunnel traffic disruption. We are adjusting delivery plans as quickly as possible.' I contacted UPS, who stated this was because the borders to France were closed, and I was told to expect delivery on 24/12, which came but with the exact same update. Since then I haven't had any tracking update.

Of course, I fully understand everything that's causing delays to the UK right now, but after looking at the service updates on UPS websites and reading news from other sources, as far as I know France has reopened it's borders, allowing through people who show negative tests, this has also been stated by UPS that the current limitations don't apply to the movement of goods and that UPS is operating a regular service.

I'm just worried at this point my package is going to either get lost or damaged before it reaches me... I can imagine there are so many other packages stocked up in the depot. Is anyone else experiencing this right now? I'd love to hear some stories.

Reactions: CamilleBeauchard

SamBGB

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Exactly the same issue here and my M1 Macbook Pro (Order placed 9th Dec/Shipped 17th Dec) tracking has not updated from this status since the 24th Dec.

Interestingly I ordered an SSD on Christmas Day and it was being shipped from the Netherlands via UPS and it seems to have sailed through Germany today within an hour it departed Koeln.

Last edited:

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I purchased a 16GB 512GB M1 Macbook Pro from Apple's website on 11/12. It shipped on 17/12 via UPS, who estimated a delivery date of 23/12. This was all perfect, and the package was regularly updating so I figured this would be fine and it would reach me by 23/12. On 22/12, it was still in Cologne, Germany and hadn't departed, so I was a little concerned but UPS reassured me it would be delivered on time. I wake up on 23/12 to a notification that reads 'The package is delayed due to Eurotunnel traffic disruption. We are adjusting delivery plans as quickly as possible.' I contacted UPS, who stated this was because the borders to France were closed, and I was told to expect delivery on 24/12, which came but with the exact same update. Since then I haven't had any tracking update.

Of course, I fully understand everything that's causing delays to the UK right now, but after looking at the service updates on UPS websites and reading news from other sources, as far as I know France has reopened it's borders, allowing through people who show negative tests, this has also been stated by UPS that the current limitations don't apply to the movement of goods and that UPS is operating a regular service.

I'm just worried at this point my package is going to either get lost or damaged before it reaches me... I can imagine there are so many other packages stocked up in the depot. Is anyone else experiencing this right now? I'd love to hear some stories.

UPS seems to be having a lot of problems right now.

I've ordered a bunch of items recently (not computers) and Amazon's own delivery takes one-four days but UPS is taking two weeks. You can see stuff sitting somewhere for a day or two before moving on. UPS also stopped picking up packages from several vendors in the US a few weeks ago.

CutePenguin06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2020
Exactly the same issue here and my M1 Macbook Pro (Order placed 9th Dec/Shipped 17th Dec) tracking has not updated from this status since the 24th Dec.

Interestingly I ordered an SSD on Christmas Day and it was being shipped from the Netherlands via UPS and it seems to have sailed through Germany today within an hour it departed Koeln.
That is strange! Today I was told by UPS to wait to see if the tracking updates tomorrow and if not, call them back and they'll go to the "next step," whatever that means. They have active flights at the moment and have confirmed they do have the ability to cross the borders... so it adds more to my concern.

SamBGB

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
That is strange! Today I was told by UPS to wait to see if the tracking updates tomorrow and if not, call them back and they'll go to the "next step," whatever that means. They have active flights at the moment and have confirmed they do have the ability to cross the borders... so it adds more to my concern.

Indeed it does since these seemed to have shipped on the same day straight from the factory in China. I’ve not spoken to UPS myself. The fact my SSD is tracking fine through Germany confirms they are processing through there to UK.

CutePenguin06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2020
Indeed it does since these seemed to have shipped on the same day straight from the factory in China. I’ve not spoken to UPS myself. The fact my SSD is tracking fine through Germany confirms they are processing through there to UK.
I would suggest that if we both don't have any further tracking tomorrow, we contact UPS and ask them can they get this requested to fly to the UK ASAP, as other items are coming through but not the most expensive things ?

NeonChill

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2015
Also in exactly the same situation as you both. Expected delivery on 23/12, was delayed to 24/12 and have had no update since then. Have spoken to UPS various times via Twitter DM and they are just saying they don't know when it will be back in transit. So frustrating!

CutePenguin06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2020
Also in exactly the same situation as you both. Expected delivery on 23/12, was delayed to 24/12 and have had no update since then. Have spoken to UPS various times via Twitter DM and they are just saying they don't know when it will be back in transit. So frustrating!
Oh no! It seems it's the same for all of us after 24th... I don't know when they're going to start shipping these to us, but I'm going to contact UPS tomorrow in attempt to hopefully get some more information, as they're definitely getting shipments through the borders at the moment, just not the Macbooks it seems. Unless they've lost them all at the depot ?

MattBumstead

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2020
I have the same problem, although in my case it’s an M1 Mac Mini 16GB that’s delayed. It was due for delivery on 22nd December but was then delayed to 23rd December. That came and went and then, late on 24th December, they said that it was delayed because of Eurotunnel disruption.

Since then it has had a tentative delivery date of tomorrow, 30th December, but unless they can teleport it from its current location in Cologne, I can’t see how that is possible.

I’ve been really disappointed with the responses from both UPS and Apple on this. They both keep telling me to keep checking the UPS tracker, even though that has proven to be unreliable and incorrect. It even tells you different statuses depending on whether you check via the app or the website.

UPS don't seem to be on top of this at all. I can appreciate that the border closures were out of their control, but the terrible tracking statuses shows that they don’t seem to be successful with their so-called contingency measures. If the tracker was updated on a timely basis, then I wouldn’t be quite so frustrated with the situation.

CutePenguin06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2020
I have the same problem, although in my case it’s an M1 Mac Mini 16GB that’s delayed. It was due for delivery on 22nd December but was then delayed to 23rd December. That came and went and then, late on 24th December, they said that it was delayed because of Eurotunnel disruption.

Since then it has had a tentative delivery date of tomorrow, 30th December, but unless they can teleport it from its current location in Cologne, I can’t see how that is possible.

I’ve been really disappointed with the responses from both UPS and Apple on this. They both keep telling me to keep checking the UPS tracker, even though that has proven to be unreliable and incorrect. It even tells you different statuses depending on whether you check via the app or the website.

UPS don't seem to be on top of this at all. I can appreciate that the border closures were out of their control, but the terrible tracking statuses shows that they don’t seem to be successful with their so-called contingency measures. If the tracker was updated on a timely basis, then I wouldn’t be quite so frustrated with the situation.
I'm sorry you haven't received your M1 Mac Mini yet ? Yeah I agree UPS do say the same thing every time; keep checking the tracking. But if it's not being updated then there's nothing to check. It is for sure frustrating, especially with how much people spend on Apple products. It will be my first Macbook so I'm ridiculously excited, but at this point I don't even wake up expecting an update.

SamBGB

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Interestingly my tracking just said “Update” before with no delivery date, now it says delivery date is the 31st Dec. Location is still the same though.

CutePenguin06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2020
Mine has done exactly the same! This could mean that either UPS have found a way to transport the packages and have updated the delivery date prior to this, or they have just updated an estimate to keep customers from bothering them ? I hope they will get transported tonight or early in the morning for them to actually arrive on 31/12. It wouldn't make sense to update the delivery date if this wasn't the case.

NeonChill

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2015
How strange! Mine has also updated to 31/12 now. I guess we’re all in the same shipment. Fingers crossed for Thursday, I guess!

RossK

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2020
Similar situation, though my original delivery date was always scheduled for today (30th Dec) - and I'm waiting for a Mac Mini. It has been stuck in Germany since 24th with the eurotunnel delay status on the tracking. I checked with UPS yesterday who explained it was a backlog generated by the French border closure a few days ago which they're working through. It seems things got unplugged last night, as around midnight UK time I received an email from UPS rescheduling my delivery to 31st Dec. The tracking shows it departed Germany at 1am local time this morning (Germany are +1). I won't believe that new delivery date until I see it land in the UK, because it did leave Koeln, DE at 6pm on Christmas Eve, only to return again at 10pm!

MattBumstead

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2020
I'm sorry you haven't received your M1 Mac Mini yet ? Yeah I agree UPS do say the same thing every time; keep checking the tracking. But if it's not being updated then there's nothing to check. It is for sure frustrating, especially with how much people spend on Apple products. It will be my first Macbook so I'm ridiculously excited, but at this point I don't even wake up expecting an update.
My Mac Mini M1 is now showing as ‘in transit’ again, having left Cologne just after midnight this morning. UPS is, of course, still giving me a tentative delivery date of today, but I’d have to assume that the earliest it might reach me is tomorrow, 31st December. If it misses that date, then I presume I’ll have to wait until next week given the New Year public holiday. As far as I’m aware, UPS don’t deliver at weekends.

How hard can it be for UPS to provide an automated reliable delivery date, and amend it automatically in the event of any disruption? They will often send you an email stating that delivery will take place, but their tracker will indicate otherwise. Or they fail to report the delay until after the delivery date has already come and gone. It’s quite bizarre, and I haven’t experienced this with other delivery firms except for Hermes, who are notoriously bad.

CutePenguin06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2020
How strange! Mine has also updated to 31/12 now. I guess we’re all in the same shipment. Fingers crossed for Thursday, I guess!
Well mine arrived in Castle Donington today, yet the scheduled delivery date has now vanished and it just says, 'Delivery will be rescheduled.' That doesn't really make sense considering it's in the UK now and could definitely get delivered by tomorrow. I'm getting frustrated with them changing the delivery date and then rescheduling it over and over.

SamBGB

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Mine is now in my home city and is being processed at the local depot for delivery tomorrow.

CutePenguin06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2020
Similar situation, though my original delivery date was always scheduled for today (30th Dec) - and I'm waiting for a Mac Mini. It has been stuck in Germany since 24th with the eurotunnel delay status on the tracking. I checked with UPS yesterday who explained it was a backlog generated by the French border closure a few days ago which they're working through. It seems things got unplugged last night, as around midnight UK time I received an email from UPS rescheduling my delivery to 31st Dec. The tracking shows it departed Germany at 1am local time this morning (Germany are +1). I won't believe that new delivery date until I see it land in the UK, because it did leave Koeln, DE at 6pm on Christmas Eve, only to return again at 10pm!
It returned to Koeln after arriving in the UK? That's really strange...

CutePenguin06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2020
My Mac Mini M1 is now showing as ‘in transit’ again, having left Cologne just after midnight this morning. UPS is, of course, still giving me a tentative delivery date of today, but I’d have to assume that the earliest it might reach me is tomorrow, 31st December. If it misses that date, then I presume I’ll have to wait until next week given the New Year public holiday. As far as I’m aware, UPS don’t deliver at weekends.

How hard can it be for UPS to provide an automated reliable delivery date, and amend it automatically in the event of any disruption? They will often send you an email stating that delivery will take place, but their tracker will indicate otherwise. Or they fail to report the delay until after the delivery date has already come and gone. It’s quite bizarre, and I haven’t experienced this with other delivery firms except for Hermes, who are notoriously bad.
Awe, hopefully you'll get it today or today. My delivery date has vanished and it just says it will be rescheduled, but UPS said it will be delivered tomorrow. I don't really trust their estimated dates... we'll just have to see I guess.

RossK

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2020
It returned to Koeln after arriving in the UK? That's really strange...
No, it didn't arrive in to the UK... The tracking showed it arriving in Koeln, DE, then a few hours later it departed the facility, but then later that night it arrived back in to Koeln again. I guess due to the Eurotunnel disruption. Fortunately though I see it has now finally arrived in to the UK (Stanford Le Hope) at of 9am this morning, so hopefully delivery tomorrow.

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
Awe, hopefully you'll get it today or today. My delivery date has vanished and it just says it will be rescheduled, but UPS said it will be delivered tomorrow. I don't really trust their estimated dates... we'll just have to see I guess.
My tip, and it's one that is rarely ever considered. Ignore tracking, accept that until the item is delivered and signed for, it remains the property of Apple. It will cause you less stress, and worry. Or visit a store and buy it in person, or order it do be picked up from an Apple store, or any of the accredited locations.

RossK

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2020
My tip, and it's one that is rarely ever considered. Ignore tracking, accept that until the item is delivered and signed for, it remains the property of Apple. It will cause you less stress, and worry. Or visit a store and buy it in person, or order it do be picked up from an Apple store, or any of the accredited locations.
I don't think its rarely considered, and I don't think that's particularly great advice. People just want what they paid for, or are excited to get it, or need it for work purposes. Ordering and picking up from an Apple store is simply not possible for certain configurations of product. And forgetting about it until it arrives is not always the best answer. Sometimes intervention is needed to get a package moving again, especially in the cases of the dreaded UPS 'exception'. e.g. my previous address used to result in an exception *all-the-time* because there was a postcode mismatch due to a council screw up - and had I not been checking the tracking, my item simply would not have turned up. Eventually, it would have been sent back to the sender, wasting a huge amount of extra time. I have also managed to spot a horrendous routing error with FedEx where my package was going in circles until I intervened.

If you want your item quickly, whether that's simply through excitement, or you need it for work - checking and monitoring tracking is usually a good idea. Often the earlier errors are spotted, the quicker they can be resolved. I don't think anyone here is stressed or worried. They just want to know when they'll get their product which is fair enough.

CutePenguin06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2020
I don't think its rarely considered, and I don't think that's particularly great advice. People just want what they paid for, or are excited to get it, or need it for work purposes. Ordering and picking up from an Apple store is simply not possible for certain configurations of product. And forgetting about it until it arrives is not always the best answer. Sometimes intervention is needed to get a package moving again, especially in the cases of the dreaded UPS 'exception'. e.g. my previous address used to result in an exception *all-the-time* because there was a postcode mismatch due to a council screw up - and had I not been checking the tracking, my item simply would not have turned up. Eventually, it would have been sent back to the sender, wasting a huge amount of extra time. I have also managed to spot a horrendous routing error with FedEx where my package was going in circles until I intervened.

If you want your item quickly, whether that's simply through excitement, or you need it for work - checking and monitoring tracking is usually a good idea. Often the earlier errors are spotted, the quicker they can be resolved. I don't think anyone here is stressed or worried. They just want to know when they'll get their product which is fair enough.
This is all completely true. I'm more excited than anything, and just disappointed that I don't have the product yet. I just want it delivered and here safely with me, I think this is the case for everyone.

I was planning to purchase this the same day from the Apple store here but they only sell the base model in store, which is why I had to purchase it online for delivery.

Honestly all I've been doing is constantly tracking, I even made a UPS account to get that extra bit of information. I'm slightly worried it will come damaged in some way, but all I can do is hope. Once it arrives I'll feel so much better.

Reactions: RossK

MattBumstead

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2020
It’s finally showing as being out for delivery today, but I’ll believe it when I see it! It wouldn’t be the first time a UPS delivery has been out for delivery only to return to the depot again later that day, to be delivered the next working day instead. UPS did that for an Apple Watch delivery to me earlier this year. But at this point I’m just pleased it’s closer to where it ought to be! If I get it, great. If not, there’s always next week!

Reactions: RossK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.