Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I believe 8GB SHOULD be enough, but it's not. Seems like macOS is not optimised for 8GB.
With the base M1 Pro and up having 16GB as base (and LPDDR5 to boot), we can see where Apple is going. The 8GB base RAM is just a ruse to get people to pay for those juicy RAM upgrades, or to prematurely nudge people to buy a new system a few years from now.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Super disappointing the upgraded stock MBA didn’t move to 16/512 instead of 8/512. Should not have to BTO to get 16GB in 2022.
Completely agree. Truly disappointed that Apple didn’t even have a higher tier preconfigured model with 16GB of RAM. It’s worse in markets like my country where we don’t have access to BTO option, so we cannot get 16GB even if we wanted to pay for it.

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
With the base M1 Pro and up having 16GB as base (and LPDDR5 to boot), we can see where Apple is going. The 8GB base RAM is just a ruse to get people to pay for those juicy RAM upgrades, or to prematurely nudge people to buy a new system a few years from now.
The M2 comes with LPDRR5 now with 8GB. As I said if you basic things 8GB is fine.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The M2 comes with LPDRR5 now with 8GB. As I said if you basic things 8GB is fine.
Depends on what you consider “basic”. Web browsing of today is no longer basic, with highly complex and multimedia sites that people are consuming. Web pages can easily take up gigabytes of RAM nowadays.

Maybe if one uses a computer only for simple word processing and emails, sure. But even what people consider to be “office tasks” are no longer that simple, with zoom video calls, documents collaboration and continuous messaging being the common tasks of today.

I mean my computer usage is mostly that, and maxing out 8GB on my machine is not uncommon. I myself am amazed as I didn’t think my tasks were that RAM intensive before, but it is what it is. On my new Windows laptop with 16GB of RAM, things are more fluid due to less swap being used thanks to the 16GB of RAM being filled up.

• Haha
Reactions: cygy2k

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
Depends on what you consider “basic”. Web browsing of today is no longer basic, with highly complex and multimedia sites that people are consuming. Web pages can easily take up gigabytes of RAM nowadays.

Maybe if one uses a computer only for simple word processing and emails, sure. But even what people consider to be “office tasks” are no longer that simple, with zoom video calls, documents collaboration and continuous messaging being the common tasks of today.

I mean my computer usage is mostly that, and maxing out 8GB on my machine is not uncommon. I myself am amazed as I didn’t think my tasks were that RAM intensive before, but it is what it is. On my new Windows laptop with 16GB of RAM, things are more fluid due to less swap being used thanks to the 16GB of RAM being filled up.

I agree with you. 16GB makes a huge difference. For me "basic" is web browsing with less than 10 tabs and office and streaming videos( Netflix, YT, etc).

Reactions: ian87w

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
So, I've been eagerly awaiting the new MacBook Air, and now the time is soon here.

But then comes the question of how much RAM to get? I'm a writer and mainly use web based apps for work (Google Docs, Arcweave, Google Drive) via Safari and Chrome, plus your general chat apps (Google Chats, Microsoft Teams, Discord, Facebook Messenger) and Spotify for my daily driving, plus streaming via YouTube or Netflix.

I don't really do any video editing, but some light image editing in Affinity when needed. The most demanding software I use is Logic, as I am a musician. I'm also hoping to be able to game some via CrossOver, though the only game I'm really gonna be running is GTA V (which I've seen run fine on 8GB M1 Airs), possibly Battlefield 1 if I can get it to work.

Technically it feels like 8GB shouldn't be an issue for me, but what makes me worried is that I had a late 2018 MacBook Air with 8GB and it had so many issues where it would bottleneck, both when editing in web apps and in Logic, where it had issues running drum machine plugins and it became close to impossible to make music… though the new M2 are miles ahead of even my current computer. I'm currently on a mid-2020 MacBook Pro 2.0 i7 with 16 GB, which runs fine most of the time, though it can get overloaded on very heavy Logic projects (but that's more on me for not bouncing enough when using a lot of plugins).
8GB on an M1 is fine for basic uses. I have several base model M1 Airs (7 GPU Cores; 256 GB SSD; 8GB RAM), but I use them for basic testing and IT purposes. None of them are my daily driver for longer than a quick spell. For my M1 13" MacBook Pro, I have 16GB. For people I recommend an M1 or M2 to, 16GB is my minimum. Would you be okay on 8GB? Probably. But, if you want this thing to last you a while, I'd go with 16GB or 24GB (especially since you can't upgrade it after the fact).

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
What do you do with your MacBook?
I use Xcode and Unity on 8GB and have no issues at all. Even handles all the particles and lighting effects.
There are people that don't recommend MacBooks for work at all.
Runs Microsoft office applications. Sometimes photoshop. Has a remote control software kept running in the background, among a few other things. No Xcode or anything like that. Still memory is always in yellow range when things kick in.

iHorseHead

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2021
Runs Microsoft office applications. Sometimes photoshop. Has a remote control software kept running in the background, among a few other things. No Xcode or anything like that. Still memory is always in yellow range when things kick in.
Well, I dont have that issue on 8GB for whatever reason and it's snappy enough.

Reactions: Saturn007

iHorseHead

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2021
Guess you don’t keep thst many application running in the background.
Screenshot 2022-06-17 at 10.08.59.png

Still snappy.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
It seems like that 16GB should be a no brainer.
No doubt.

Put in as much RAM as you can afford for your estimated and expected length of use.
Simply, they will serve you better a longer time. If that is preferable.
I usually max my desktops 'as much that I can afford', because I want to keep them some time as well.
Not so much my portables. They are also lighter in usage. But 16GB IS light usage today.

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
So, I've been eagerly awaiting the new MacBook Air, and now the time is soon here.

But then comes the question of how much RAM to get? I'm a writer and mainly use web based apps for work (Google Docs, Arcweave, Google Drive) via Safari and Chrome, plus your general chat apps (Google Chats, Microsoft Teams, Discord, Facebook Messenger) and Spotify for my daily driving, plus streaming via YouTube or Netflix.

I don't really do any video editing, but some light image editing in Affinity when needed. The most demanding software I use is Logic, as I am a musician. I'm also hoping to be able to game some via CrossOver, though the only game I'm really gonna be running is GTA V (which I've seen run fine on 8GB M1 Airs), possibly Battlefield 1 if I can get it to work.

Technically it feels like 8GB shouldn't be an issue for me, but what makes me worried is that I had a late 2018 MacBook Air with 8GB and it had so many issues where it would bottleneck, both when editing in web apps and in Logic, where it had issues running drum machine plugins and it became close to impossible to make music… though the new M2 are miles ahead of even my current computer. I'm currently on a mid-2020 MacBook Pro 2.0 i7 with 16 GB, which runs fine most of the time, though it can get overloaded on very heavy Logic projects (but that's more on me for not bouncing enough when using a lot of plugins).
Get 16GB as a minimum. If you can, get 24GB. Three years from now, software and website demands for RAM will be higher, and your Mac will have higher resale value.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
No doubt.

Put in as much RAM as you can afford for your estimated and expected length of use.
Simply, they will serve you better a longer time. If that is preferable.
I usually max my desktops 'as much that I can afford', because I want to keep them some time as well.
Not so much my portables. They are also lighter in usage. But 16GB IS light usage today.

So you recommend people getting 1500 Gb of RAM on the Mac Pro just because they can afford it?

• Haha
Reactions: Lioness~

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Yeah.... I can see where 24GB will definitely help in your case tho.
It’s kind of sad that “upgrading” to M2 with 24GB would cost me $700 aud assuming I got insanely good deal at selling my 16GB M1 with 1TB storage. Otherwise I’d consider.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.