Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MidwestMacGuy

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2012
I’d get 16 GB. If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?
I know several very intense big name colleges where spelling is important at the professor level. To get a job on the faculty you will have to pass more than one written test before being hired. If you can't pass these tests, you don't get the job. If only we did the same thing for people who want to have a gun. After all, many would argue that making a mistake with a gun has much bigger consequence.

Reactions: Saturn1217

mslilyelise

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2021
British Columbia, Canada
So, I've been eagerly awaiting the new MacBook Air, and now the time is soon here.

But then comes the question of how much RAM to get? I'm a writer and mainly use web based apps for work (Google Docs, Arcweave, Google Drive) via Safari and Chrome, plus your general chat apps (Google Chats, Microsoft Teams, Discord, Facebook Messenger) and Spotify for my daily driving, plus streaming via YouTube or Netflix.

I don't really do any video editing, but some light image editing in Affinity when needed. The most demanding software I use is Logic, as I am a musician. I'm also hoping to be able to game some via CrossOver, though the only game I'm really gonna be running is GTA V (which I've seen run fine on 8GB M1 Airs), possibly Battlefield 1 if I can get it to work.

Technically it feels like 8GB shouldn't be an issue for me, but what makes me worried is that I had a late 2018 MacBook Air with 8GB and it had so many issues where it would bottleneck, both when editing in web apps and in Logic, where it had issues running drum machine plugins and it became close to impossible to make music… though the new M2 are miles ahead of even my current computer. I'm currently on a mid-2020 MacBook Pro 2.0 i7 with 16 GB, which runs fine most of the time, though it can get overloaded on very heavy Logic projects (but that's more on me for not bouncing enough when using a lot of plugins).

If it’s in budget, I’d go with 16GB. I think it depends on how long you plan to keep your machine, more than workflow.

When I bought a MacBook in 2010, it had 2GB RAM and a 250Gb HDD. I got ten years of service out of it only because I could upgrade the ram and swap in an SSD, so it could keep up, which it did.

I’m about to order an M2 Air myself and I’m going to go with the 8CPU/10GPU, 16Gb of RAM, and a 512Gb SSD. It’s a lot of scratch to cough up in one go (with AppleCare in Canadian almost $2700 after taxes) but I plan on keeping it at least 7 years as a minimum. So it works out in the end va buying something I have to replace sooner.

Hope you figure out what works best for you!

Reactions: KenaiAndrews

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
So, I've been eagerly awaiting the new MacBook Air, and now the time is soon here.

But then comes the question of how much RAM to get? I'm a writer and mainly use web based apps for work (Google Docs, Arcweave, Google Drive) via Safari and Chrome, plus your general chat apps (Google Chats, Microsoft Teams, Discord, Facebook Messenger) and Spotify for my daily driving, plus streaming via YouTube or Netflix.

I don't really do any video editing, but some light image editing in Affinity when needed. The most demanding software I use is Logic, as I am a musician. I'm also hoping to be able to game some via CrossOver, though the only game I'm really gonna be running is GTA V (which I've seen run fine on 8GB M1 Airs), possibly Battlefield 1 if I can get it to work.

Technically it feels like 8GB shouldn't be an issue for me, but what makes me worried is that I had a late 2018 MacBook Air with 8GB and it had so many issues where it would bottleneck, both when editing in web apps and in Logic, where it had issues running drum machine plugins and it became close to impossible to make music… though the new M2 are miles ahead of even my current computer. I'm currently on a mid-2020 MacBook Pro 2.0 i7 with 16 GB, which runs fine most of the time, though it can get overloaded on very heavy Logic projects (but that's more on me for not bouncing enough when using a lot of plugins).
gta v last i check was pushing 80-90gb for install, BF1 is 40-50gb, you gonna need 512gb storage and 16gb ram to handle that load, at that price point, you might as well get the 14inch mbp base. if you live in the us amazon, walmart, costco have that 14 base for 1599.

Technerd108

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2021
I would recommend 8 core gpu, 16gb ram and 512gb ssd. That is the sweet spot. See if you can qualify for the student discount.

If you can splurge then maybe 24gb ram would be a good idea but I don't think it is really needed.

These new M2 MBA are really nice and the ability to have a very fast device that is fanless is really nice. No vents to block and since the cpu inside is essentially sealed in the case dust should never be an issue.

The MBA is super light yet feels super solid. It has great speakers and again no grills so there is nothing to get dirty. The screen is very color accurate and bright. Magsafe is very nice to have. The new design is also really cool.

Overall this is one of the best MBA Apple has ever made and since you prioritize mobility you will really enjoy it.

The "Pro" models are significantly heavier but if a "Pro" model is something you might consider I would wait to see what the M2 MBP 14/16" to be announced costs and if it is something you want to consider. Deals abound on the older M1 MBP but also there are more sales for the M2 MBA and even with higher configs.

Now the choice is what color?

mslilyelise

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2021
British Columbia, Canada
The slight increase in short term burst performance is not worth the extra cost, shorter battery life, and detrimental performance for tasks that aren’t over in a few minutes and the gpu has to throttle more than an 8-core would.

This. Unfortunately the passive cooling system in the M2 Air isn’t a match for the extra heat the additional GPU cores make, the system ends up thermally soaked, and then throttling kicks in hard to counter that. The 8 core doesn’t get as hot out of the gate so the throttling is less severe, and the performance in long haul tasks becomes a wash. It’s been hashed out a lot over on YouTube with folks pitting the 8 and 10 core against each other. I was going to opt for the 10 core until I found out.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
This. Unfortunately the passive cooling system in the M2 Air isn’t a match for the extra heat the additional GPU cores make, the system ends up thermally soaked, and then throttling kicks in hard to counter that. The 8 core doesn’t get as hot out of the gate so the throttling is less severe, and the performance in long haul tasks becomes a wash. It’s been hashed out a lot over on YouTube with folks pitting the 8 and 10 core against each other. I was going to opt for the 10 core until I found out.
Any links? Not maxtech. Anyone else? I saw one that tested with a game but the results were cherry picked when they stopped the test as soon as the FPS on the 10 core dropped below the 8 core. Instead they should have let it continue until both computers were heat soaked and then compared average FPS.

Reactions: richard13

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Over spec. "Fast enough" in 2022 might be "kind of dragging" in 2025. MacOS updates and other software tend to get more demanding over time.

Reactions: rmadsen3

TSE

macrumors 601
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Any links? Not maxtech. Anyone else? I saw one that tested with a game but the results were cherry picked when they stopped the test as soon as the FPS on the 10 core dropped below the 8 core. Instead they should have let it continue until both computers were heat soaked and then compared average FPS.

Notebookcheck is the holy grail of technical reviews.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Notebookcheck is the holy grail of technical reviews.

Didn’t all their tests show that the 10 core GPU was faster than the 8 core? I have no problem with their conclusion that the 10 core wasn’t worth the cost but I don’t think they showed the 10 clots slower than the 8 core.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I don’t trust maxtech on the M2.

The second video is just poorly done testing. He tests a Rosetta 2 game and gets the same framerate on the 8 and 10 core and then stops without trying to discover why. What he should have done is run the tests back to back until the average framerate stays steady and then see if the 8 core is faster. The number of frames rendered difference was negligible so it is hard to say that the 10 core was slower. Very slightly in one particular test at best.

I’m not arguing that the 10 core is worth the cost. Just that it doesn’t seem to be actually slower.

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Agree the 8-core(16GB/512GB) is the sweet-spot config.

Disagree that the 10-core is useless. Depends on what you do. Gaming, pretty small advantage. GPU compute, some workflows do their GPU tasks in forms of shorter bursts and feature no sustained load - notable advantage.

OP's use of Affinity could be a case of the latter, but since the work is described as "light" I'd say it's probably not worth it anyway.

Storage can be upgraded, RAM cannot. the 16gb is worth the wait.
Unless you are on Dosdude1's level you're likely not going to be able to upgrade storage on these devices as it is soldered.

Reactions: ilikewhey

whizkid11

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
Agree the 8-core(16GB/512GB) is the sweet-spot config.

Disagree that the 10-core is useless. Depends on what you do. Gaming, pretty small advantage. GPU compute, some workflows do their GPU tasks in forms of shorter bursts and feature no sustained load - notable advantage.

OP's use of Affinity could be a case of the latter, but since the work is described as "light" I'd say it's probably not worth it anyway.

Unless you are on Dosdude1's level you're likely not going to be able to upgrade storage on these devices as it is soldered.
Agreed for internal storage but you can always upgrade via external or cloud.

trydft

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2022
Anw, will the SSD Speed on 256 GB version be enough for let’s say 7-8 years of usage?

0x000000

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2011
Most people would agree with me that the 8-Core GPU, 16GBs of RAM, and 512 GB SSD is the sweet spot for the M2 MacBook Air.
Annoyingly that seems to be the case :( I need it for graphic design and light rendering and it's super hard to justify the upgraded MBA, because the 14" would be significantly better in every metric except portability (which I don't even need that much). It's easier if you just don't need the power and can just get the default 8/256 MBA.

In my case I'll probably just wait for the 14" M2.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
because the 14" would be significantly better in every metric except portability
lol be-careful, alot of mba owners in this section would take issue with that statement. some would even claim the mba speakers are "louder" and the screen on the mbp is inferior because it suffers from "blooming"

ArkSingularity

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2022
Anw, will the SSD Speed on 256 GB version be enough for let’s say 7-8 years of usage?
I'd probably go for the 16GB RAM model if you're looking for long term performance. The SSD speed differences will make much less of a difference than the RAM will (the SSD differences will matter less anyway when swap is not being used as much).

Technerd108

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2021
Annoyingly that seems to be the case :( I need it for graphic design and light rendering and it's super hard to justify the upgraded MBA, because the 14" would be significantly better in every metric except portability (which I don't even need that much). It's easier if you just don't need the power and can just get the default 8/256 MBA.

In my case I'll probably just wait for the 14" M2.
I think considering your use case waiting for the 14" M2 would be the best idea. It should be considerably faster in gpu over the M1 MBP 14", have better battery life and be about 10-15% faster in CPU.

The M2 MBA is a great laptop for most people but once you start doing professional workloads like graphic design and rendering then the M2 MBP will be much faster and sustain that for extended period of times. The screen should also be better for graphic design and possibly be improved over the original mini led.

We should see the new M2 MBP being announced soon hopefully.

Alternatively another forum member posted a deal on Microcenter. I don't know if you live in the states or if you do, near a Microcenter but they had a really high spec M1 MBP 14" with M1 Max and 64gb ram and 1tb ssd at around $2499 and at that price it may be worth considering the M1 MBP over M2. I would prefer the newer MBP but if you can get a maxed out version for the price of a just over base model it might be worth it? Just check out the MBP forum and you will see a thread there on the subject.

Last edited:
Reactions: whizkid11
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.