Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Thanks. I wonder if the new M3 max has fixed some of these things? Part of me thinks this is a setting issue.
Why would it? Apple hasn’t added anything hardware codec wise since M1 Pro/max except AV1 decoding - imho they should’ve added av1 encoding also - so speeds are faster but I don’t think quality would change.

sauria

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2001
Texas, USA
Why would it? Apple hasn’t added anything hardware codec wise since M1 Pro/max except AV1 decoding - imho they should’ve added av1 encoding also - so speeds are faster but I don’t think quality would change.
You might be correct but the GPU now has retracing. I’m not sure if that is used at all? I’m not sure that it purely uses the decoders.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
You might be correct but the GPU now has retracing. I’m not sure if that is used at all? I’m not sure that it purely uses the decoders.
AFAICT Apple doesn't use their GPU (directly) for encoding video when they are able to use their hardware media encoders for the task.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

What does raytracing have to do with video encoding or decoding?

Kristain

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2022
One thing I was surprised at (happy to be corrected if I'm wrong) is that there seems to be no performance improvements of the encode/decode engines from the M1 > M2 > M3. I know Apple said they now support 8k, but render performance seems identical. Surely these engines would scale with clock speed?

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
One thing I was surprised at (happy to be corrected if I'm wrong) is that there seems to be no performance improvements of the encode/decode engines from the M1 > M2 > M3. I know Apple said they now support 8k, but render performance seems identical. Surely these engines would scale with clock speed?

Encode/decode engines are embedded logic: data goes in one end and results come out the other. They do not process instructions but push the data through a configuration of logic gates. TBMK, there is not even any "microcode"-like action going on in there, just raw gate structures. As such, it should come as no surprise that their performance is consistent, as the units are far less dependent on clock speeds (which mostly affect dynamic code resolution logic), but should show some improvement as memory gets faster. This kind of dedicated processing is far more efficient than software, as long as it can handle contemporary standards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.