Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Are you experiencing performance issues? Other symptoms? If not, what’s the problem exactly?

As others have said, Macs will aggressively preload and cache stuff if there is plenty of RAM available. The more RAM you have the more it is likely that the system will decide to use it in this way.

macjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
What process is running that requires 16-21GB of RAM being utilized?
Unless you're having performance issues, why do you care?

Apple Silicon is designed to utilize as much RAM as it thinks is necessary to optimize performance. RAM, GPU, and processing all happens on the same chips now, so it just takes advantage of what it has at any given time. This is a non-issue and there's nothing you can do to change this correct behavior from your computer.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I bought 128GB of RAM to future-proof, not to utilize it NOW! I want to setup a dev machine for the next 5 years and not worry about RAM and storage.

It’s your choice what you worry about. There is no objective reason to worry about RAM usage from the data you have given us. You cannot measure the system state under irrelevant circumstances and think you have a reliable extrapolation.

What process is running that requires 16-21GB of RAM being utilized?
Run vm_stats command to see the details of current memory system. I’m sure most of the pages will be inactive or purgeable.

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
This is mildly terrifying. You write code AND you shelled out for 128GB but you don’t understand the fundamentals of Mac memory management?

Yikes…

I am surprised you bought 128 GB RAM with out understanding how RAM works in Linux/Mac.
It’s normal, OS will load as much memory available for tasks for performance. If it didn’t you would be complaining why is the OS loading, offloading memory every time and is slower.
My 64 GB consistently uses 50 GB memory, I have no problem with it, I fact I love how snappy my Mac runs even under load.

What difference does it make if someone gets 64GB or 128GB? The point is that nothing taxing is being done. Utilization with these tasks should not approach 16-21GB.

For example, I'm able to watch the same videos on an M1 MBA 16GB and total RAM utilization is about 12GB with ~10-15 tabs open. I have watched the same videos on my MBA so why doesn't the RAM push up memory pressure?

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
I don't think MacOS is the culprit. I think this is caused by Apple Silicon. There is no reason for 16GB to be utilized by the system for a mere YouTube video.

I paid for 128GB of RAM in hopes to use my machine for a long time without having to swap. I haven't even setup my Python work environment yet. I dread what that will do.
Many have tried explaining it to you; if your mindset is of a culprit, it won't be much of a help. Apple silicon is more optimized with unified memory. It will cache and even dump non-frequent memory to swap, it's a good practice; the last thing you want is memory offloaded to swap under load. My 2019 MB 16 couldn't even run decent-sized data sets; anything more than 5-8 GB in Python was hit-and-miss. I am gonna leave this snapshot from my 64GB M1 max, which uses unified memory, and swapping to run a lot more than my Linux workstation. You bought one of the amazing machines available in the market today to be bogged down by one of the worst intel MBP.

173GB Mem.png

It's not normal. I literally provided my use case with my 2019 Intel MBP 64GB RAM. I have YET to install Python, Jupyter and run my projects. What will RAM utilization be then?
The 2019 64 GB MBP was one of the worst Macs I ever owned. There was nothing normal about it: heavy throttling, loud, and poor performance. I usually upgrade every 5 years, but I couldn't wait to get rid of it for a 64 GB M1 Max.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
What difference does it make if someone gets 64GB or 128GB? The point is that nothing taxing is being done. Utilization with these tasks should not approach 16-21GB.

For example, I'm able to watch the same videos on an M1 MBA 16GB and total RAM utilization is about 12GB with ~10-15 tabs open. I have watched the same videos on my MBA so why doesn't the RAM push up memory pressure?
I am gonna try one last time; if your Mac has more memory, I will try to use it as much as possible. My family uses an 8GB Base model MBA M2. The base model runs fine for its use, and my MBP marks more memory because it has more available. Let OS do its job on managing memory.

macjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
You're getting what you paid for - your computer will put more resources toward every task, making everything *snappier* 🙃. If, at some point, you launch a bunch of apps or processes that need more RAM, it'll reallocate resources to those as needed.

If you bought a bunch a RAM just so you can stare at unused RAM in activity monitor all day, you're going to be disappointed. Use your computer and stop wasting your time.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68040
Dec 3, 2016
USA
I opened and used my M3 Max MBP for the first time yesterday and I found excessive RAM utilization for just basic tasks.

This is me watching an 8K demo on YouTube: 20.85GB

View attachment 2372965

Moving to Safari and watching 4K HBO Max reduced it but still unacceptable: 16.02GB

View attachment 2372966

And usage was still unacceptable with nothing playing: 7.5GB

View attachment 2372970

The only other item I had open was Pages to test out the keyboard. I had written maybe a paragraph.

Why is RAM being utilized so much, especially at rest? The M3 Max machine is hitting RAM even harder than my M1 MBA which consistently utilizes 12GB with ~10 Chrome windows open.

I know people like to say, the computer indexes for the first few days but I really can't imagine this much background process as I'm not a heavy user of iCloud.

Anyone have the same experience? Does it get better?
RAM usage is a good thing. We buy these boxes to compute with, and RAM usage is a very, very good way to compute.

Reading up on Apple's Unified Memory Architecture (UMA) is recommended. Those who understand UMA will make sure that they put plenty of RAM in the boxes they buy to compute with.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
Is there any real indication or proof that Apple's Xnu paging and swapping algorithms have ever changed with the processor architecture?
Yes. After the SSD Swap overwrite issue in 2021, the swap usage on M1 Macs was significantly different after MacOS 11.4. More changes and security measures were added in 2022. Apple Xnu github page has updates.

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
Mity: you have no basis for talking about what is "normal" when you don't understand that the OS is caching a bunch of stuff to make things snappy while being used.

You cannot state that your Intel machine never utilized swap at all, that's just weird. You're obsessing over something that isn't a problem at all. From the screenshots everything is cached and not swap for instance.

You don't have a problem, the computer is working fine!
I know for a fact that my Intel machine did not. Never. I had activity monitor open every day and watched.

One of the reasons I was so paranoid was that I experienced extreme swap on my base 8GB M1 MBA. I wanted to see how Apple Silicon managed memory. And I can definitely say that Apple Silicon is far more aggressive than x86.

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
Yes there is. It's being used for caching.

Suppose you have 64GB of total ram and you run a 4K video and use 16GB (as I did in my case). And then you run another 4K video, should caching cause utilization to increase linearly, meaning, 32GB?

Further, suppose that I open other apps. Will Apple Silicon keep utilizing more RAM until I hit 64GB? Or will it start to reduce caching of other processes? And at what point will it start utilizing swap?

Infodataset

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2022
I know for a fact that my Intel machine did not. Never. I had activity monitor open every day and watched.

One of the reasons I was so paranoid was that I experienced extreme swap on my base 8GB M1 MBA. I wanted to see how Apple Silicon managed memory. And I can definitely say that Apple Silicon is far more aggressive than x86.
Brother. Lot of people have told it to you. System caching is not just simple, it maybe cookies, photos, videos in those website have been cached so you dont need to reload when you scroll or switching tabs.

You use microsoft word then switch to web? Boom. Its fast thats why ram exist and empty ram is waste.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2019
Suppose you have 64GB of total ram and you run a 4K video and use 16GB (as I did in my case). And then you run another 4K video, should caching cause utilization to increase linearly, meaning, 32GB?

Further, suppose that I open other apps. Will Apple Silicon keep utilizing more RAM until I hit 64GB? Or will it start to reduce caching of other processes? And at what point will it start utilizing swap?
🤷 beats me. This sounds like you're trying to bait me into an argument, and I'm not interested. Good luck.

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
🤷 beats me. This sounds like you're trying to bait me into an argument, and I'm not interested. Good luck.
Funny way of saying, "I don't know." I'm not trying to bait anyone. It's perplexing to see such a difference from x86.

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
All I see is two screenshots, both with zero swap. There is nothing to worry about.
I'm not worried about utilizing swap now. When will it? From your usage, does it happen when you hit 100% of RAM? Or earlier? If it's earlier, how much so? I have never had an M1 or M2 Max with 64GB so I don't know. I can only go off what I experienced with my Intel Mac.

Last edited by a moderator:

nathan_reilly

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2016
I think you need to open your mind to the explanations being provided here, instead of trying to *fight* the explanations. Nobody is coming here with hostility but your insistence is tough to square with the reality, which is resounding post after post in the replies. Try to let go of your pre conceived notion about how this system works and be open to learning a new way of understanding it.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
In my experience, the more Ram you have, the more OSX uses. As long as it’s at least 32, you should be good for some time.

Reactions: KeithBN

Basic75

macrumors 68020
May 17, 2011
Europe
Yes. After the SSD Swap overwrite issue in 2021, the swap usage on M1 Macs was significantly different after MacOS 11.4. More changes and security measures were added in 2022. Apple Xnu github page has updates.
Interesting, do have a hint on where to look? Checking out some of the 2022 diffs is not the fastest way to find any architecture specific VM changes.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
The pictures do show that @Mity correctly did not count the buffer cache towards used memory.
It shows the explicit cache, which is not what I was referring to: the use of memory to save things that are no longer needed but left in case they are recalled.

Reactions: KeithBN
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.