Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022
I picked up the 11-inch today, along with the Logitech Combo Touch case and Apple Pencil Pro. So I can use it both as a tablet and as a laptop. I am really liking it so far, especially the screen quality is a big upgrade. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and advice!

The Combo Touch won't fit in the M4 from what I hear. But if it does let me know as I already have that case.

Reactions: AppleFan.

AppleFan.

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2024
The Combo Touch won't fit in the M4 from what I hear. But if it does let me know as I already have that case.
The one I got is the new model, designed for the latest iPads, and it fits perfectly. Even the Apple website confirms its compatibility with the M4 iPad. However, if you have a Combo Touch made for a different generation, it might not work, but I am not sure of that.

Reactions: alecgold

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022
The one I got is the new model, designed for the latest iPads, and it fits perfectly. Even the Apple website confirms its compatibility with the M4 iPad. However, if you have a Combo Touch made for a different generation, it might not work, but I am not sure of that.

Wow I didnt know they're even out yet. On the Logitech site it says pre-order only. I would like to see a comparison between the m1 11 Pro and the m4 11 pro for thickness. Even if the m4 11 is a bit thinner, it's nothing that a few sheets of paper inside the case won't fix.

AppleFan.

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2024
Wow I didnt know they're even out yet. On the Logitech site it says pre-order only. I would like to see a comparison between the m1 11 Pro and the m4 11 pro for thickness. Even if the m4 11 is a bit thinner, it's nothing that a few sheets of paper inside the case won't fix.
I bought the case at my local Apple Store, and I see that it can also be ordered on the Apple website. The iPad Pro M4 is 5.3mm thickness and the iPad Pro M1 5.9mm. The new one is noticeably thinner, but it’s not a huge difference.

gsal

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2019
Holding the 13” in my hands, I cannot get over how thin it is. How is it possible to fit all of this tech into such an impossibly thin casing? It’s a bigger deal than I thought it’d be. I’m glad i went for the bigger model this time around as it really amplifies the effect of holding a sheet of glass in your hands.

AppleFan.

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2024
Holding the 13” in my hands, I cannot get over how thin it is. How is it possible to fit all of this tech into such an impossibly thin casing? It’s a bigger deal than I thought it’d be. I’m glad i went for the bigger model this time around as it really amplifies the effect of holding a sheet of glass in your hands.
It is very impressive. Especially that the 13 inch is even thinner than the 11 inch.

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
I had my heart on switching back to the 11 inch after 5 happy years with the 12.9” 2018 iPP. Have been using both today and while I’m still undecided, I’m leaning heavily towards the 13 inch. While the 11 inch is more portable, I really love the extra real estate of the 13 inch when typing, browsing, watching videos/photos. I occasionally pickup the 11 inch and think how nice of a machine it is, but I always come back to the 13 inch and find myself happier with the extra room.

i also rarely leave the house these days so portability isn’t a huge concern! I wish it didn’t start at £1,299, but that’s a separate issue. If anything I’m tempted to upgrade to the 1TB for the extra RAM and storage headroom as I can see myself hanging onto this iPad for another 5/6 years comfortably. It is phenomenal.

Last thing to mention - my first impression when picking up the 11” was that the bezels were actually pretty big. Obviously this is relative to the display, but it was quite striking after 5 years of the 12.9”. I also think the thinness is more easily appreciated on the larger model due to the proportionality argument as well. I didn’t think I’d see much difference going from 5.9mm to 5.1mm but it feels like a totally different product. It’s akin to the iPhone 4S -> iPhone 5 upgrade when you instantly noticed a substantial reduction in thickness and weight.

I know Apple have been lagging a bit on software in recent times but the hardware is off the scale. Between the iPhone 15 Pro, M4 iPad Pros and the recent MBP models, this really is a golden age of Apple hardware. Hopefully the Watch X can be similarly impressive later this year and complete the set.

Last edited:

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
I’ve had the 12.9 version ever since that size became available but I went with the 11” this time around and enjoying it a ton as it reminds me of the reason why I bought the original iPad on day 1. I’m going to keep my 12.9” M1 for now but I don’t have any regrets going smaller. I really want a mini pro but we know it’s not likely to come so this will have to suffice :D

Reactions: kytiger

mathewr

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
I bought the case at my local Apple Store, and I see that it can also be ordered on the Apple website. The iPad Pro M4 is 5.3mm thickness and the iPad Pro M1 5.9mm. The new one is noticeably thinner, but it’s not a huge difference.
Thanks for that heads up. I believe this is lighter and cheaper so I’ll try this first.

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I ultimately went with 11” this time. While I liked the screen real estate on the 12.9”, it wasn’t really lappable (too top heavy). I also got lazy about bringing the 12.9” out and about because of the size and weight.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022
Thinner isnt always better. Put a case on it and it degrades the thinness. It just blows my mind that the 13" is more than the cost of a 15" Macbook Air M3. And that doesn't even include the cost of the Pencil Pro. Like what the hell?

Reactions: Mrs. Jobs

Sumter

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2014
I thought about it for a good while, but I decided to go with 11”; I work from home so I rarely leave the house, but I do a lot of my media consumption in bed and when I had the 12.9” it was a bit unwieldy for me. I play a lot of mobile games so bigger screen doesn’t necessarily mean better when I have to move my hands more in order to tap UI elements as a result too. I am pretty happy with the 11” so far, albeit it’s still day 1.

Reactions: JimmycozSTL

nutriousmitten

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2017
I've held off from the last version of the IPP waiting for OLED, to replace my now almost 7 year old IPP 10.5 which has survived longer than I thought, and outlasted two Airs my spouse has had. Only way to go for a tablet.

Just used for media consumption mainly on the couch or in bed. Maybe the odd email.
I test drove a 12.9 a year or two ago, but was too unwieldy, mostly length and width wise. When hearing about the weight reduction, thought that maybe it would be better.

Playing with it at the store today, the weight is nice, but I think the physical length and width dimensions will still make it a tough go for my use, and thats irrespective of the additional cost over the 11.

Also thought I could maybe turn the 13" into a semi laptop and change some work flow patterns with the now metal keyboard and use it as a laptop on a desk when required, and on couch or in bed if required to use the keyboard, but reading here, the top heaviness is still an issue, it doesn't work as well as a MacBook when laying on a couch, and, the 13" and Magic Keyboard would set me back as much as MBP M3 Pro 14" refurb.

So it may just be the 11" for me.

losta

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
NY Metro area
I’ve been going back and forth about 13 iPad Pro base model and 11 512gb. I have an iPad mini which I use the most. Haven’t used my 11 iPad Pro 2018 with 256gb with about half storage free once I got the mini. I also have a 14 inch MacBook Pro. I’d like to be able to travel with either the 11 or 13 so I wouldn’t need to take 14 mbp with me as the mini is too small to do serious work on. Since the 13 with mkb is lighter than 14 mbp that this could be an option but at home I feel they would cannibalize each other. Thanks in advance for your advice.
I’m a mini fan too and I travel 8-10 times a year usually with the 2021 mini and 13” MacBook Air. I too had an older iPad Pro that I didn’t use much. I just got the 11” M4 which I hope will replace the two. I have a short trip later this month and a longer 2 week trip in July. I’m hoping to find a good photo workflow with the iPad and my Fujifilm and Sony cameras.

newphone22

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2019
I upgraded from the 12.9 ipp 5th gen to the M4 ipp 11 inch And I am obsesssed!! The small factor significantly improved my experience and actually feels like a handheld tablet

Reactions: alecgold

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Ordered 11" black with keyboard for delivery tomorrow. Tempting as the 13" is I didn't use it as much as the 11" 2018 I had for 2 years. Too expensive to become a desktop mainly IMO. Will see.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I have the MBP m3max 14“ and a gaming PC with a 40” monitor. For me it made no sense to go 13” as it would be like having a MacBook Air or pro esp with the magic kb which I picked up. Couldn’t be happier. Its all about your use case and what you have. for me 13” or higher has to be Mac.

pshady

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2005
los angeles
After many years as a 10.5 then 11-inch iPad Pro user, I took the leap and got the 13-inch. I had briefly bought and then returned a 12.9-inch a couple of years back to test the form factor but it was too thick and heavy. I’ve had the 13-inch now for 1/2 a day and for my use case for work, it’s a game changer to have a much larger screen plus the ability to multi-task. It’s not ideal from a size and weight perspective but the weight reductions this year have tipped the scales for me.

Reactions: wib

darksoul78644

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
So glad I got the 11 m4. I have the 5th generation iPad Pro I like this one so much better. Maybe it’s the crisp screen tho. I don’t really use for work or anything.

Reactions: Joseph C

darksoul78644

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
Now I need a case. Want to get the keyboard but I do not use it for work like I said. Any suggestions on a good case.

AppleFan.

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2024
Now I need a case. Want to get the keyboard but I do not use it for work like I said. Any suggestions on a good case.
I got the Logitech Combo Touch case, it has A keyboard that you can detach for when you want to use it as just a tablet, either in your hand or on a table with the adjustable kickstand. I have been really enjoying this case and it is cheaper than the Magic Keyboard. You can get this case on the official Apple website or in the Apple Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.