Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
After many years as a 10.5 then 11-inch iPad Pro user, I took the leap and got the 13-inch. I had briefly bought and then returned a 12.9-inch a couple of years back to test the form factor but it was too thick and heavy. I’ve had the 13-inch now for 1/2 a day and for my use case for work, it’s a game changer to have a much larger screen plus the ability to multi-task. It’s not ideal from a size and weight perspective but the weight reductions this year have tipped the scales for me.
I made the same change, though I did have the OG iPad Pro for a year before going back to a smaller pro (then I think it was 10.5) and sticking with the smaller sizes then on. My last iPad was the 11 M1.

So far, no regrets. Admittedly still very much in the honeymoon phase, but the way I use my iPad has changed a lot in the past year: my work environment has started supporting BYOD and I have been using my personal iPad instead of the ****** Windows tablet they provided me to do a lot of my day-to-day work, especially in meetings. Now having the bigger screen is much more worthwhile than it was to me before, when it was sort of a novelty and my casual use cases didn’t really necessitate it.

Having a full-sized keyboard is wonderful, and this one is particularly great after years with my old MKB.

The weight changes definitely help sell using the larger iPad more as a tablet too; I was using it out of the keyboard a bunch yesterday evening to watch videos and what-not (X-Men ‘97 season finale was great, imo) and had no trouble or concerns with it.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022
After watching reviews, and how the 13" is actually thinner than the 11", I would be more inclined to get the 13" this time but that price....I can't justify it when you can get a M3 Macbook Air with 16GB for the same price.

Reactions: Jezak

Rangers94

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
I keep going back and forth on the 13” vs 11” but having a 12.9” and an old 7th generation 10.2” iPad going back to the 12.9” display is just a better viewing experience as far as watching videos and browsing the internet. Using split screen/multi tasking on the larger 12.9” is also a MUCH better experience than on the smaller iPad.

Eventually i will ultimately go with the 2024 13”. I also look forward to it being lighter and much thinner than my current 12.9”

pshady

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2005
los angeles
After watching reviews, and how the 13" is actually thinner than the 11", I would be more inclined to get the 13" this time but that price....I can't justify it when you can get a M3 Macbook Air with 16GB for the same price.
If price is not an issue, then 13” all the way. These are now basically alternative form factor computers with different OSes and strength. I find that I can focus much better on the iPad (ADHD) and frankly I enjoy using it more than the Mac. As Apple said, these are complementary devices, not replacements for each other. More money to spend, I guess for those will to spend it.

Laura99

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2018
Chicago suburbs
Why not both? 🤣

But my honest take: When you hold it, if you mostly handle it portrait, get an 11". If you primarily hold it landscape, get the 13". Even thinner and lighter, a 13" portrait device feels unwieldy, but when you hold it landscape in both hands, it feels pretty natural. I got the 11" because I primarily use my iPad for Kindle and YACReader, so I am usually holding it portrait.
I did get both!

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Bought the 1Tb 11 with the magic kb. Felt fomo about not getting the 13. Picked up the 13 today. With the apple folio cover no kb. I think I can get used to the bigger screen. Will prob return the 11 if I keep the 13 and add the magic kb once I can afford it. Dang this hobby isn’t cheap.

Reactions: Devyn89

Myrr

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
Had a 13 for a few hours and exchanged for an 11. The 13, despite being thinner and lighter than the previous generation, was still not really enjoyable to hold for any amount of time. If used with a keyboard or to draw / do work with… that would be the best usage. For fun, gaming, media consumption, etc, the 11 worked much better for me.

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
My main beef with the 12.9 inch M2 was that I would be lazy about bringing it out with me unless I had a backpack. No such problem with the 11.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I will admit that the reduced weight of the iPad Pro 13” is tempting - I was in an Apple Store and was caught off guard by how much lighter it feels. Still, I think there are two things you need to consider with the larger iPad Pro:
  1. Regardless of weight, overall size can make it awkward in some contexts, and
  2. While the weight is greatly reduced, holding a device that large still will get heavier much faster because of the weight distribution and how you hold it.
While I agree neither device is a long-term one-handed device, the 11” iPad Pro feels more natural to hold and manipulate than the 13” which really needs to be gripped from both sides or rested on a surface. Also, don’t forget that with the “more space” option on the 11” iPad you can get effectively the same workable space as on the 13” including full U.I. in split view and three-column layouts in apps if you care about that.

Apple really made a compelling set of devices. However, the more I use the 11” iPad Pro with the Magic Keyboard the more fond I grow of it. It gives me 12” MacBook/netbook vibes which is a device I always wanted. I’ll use it a few more days to be sure, but I’m hopeful that I can replace my 12.9” iPad Pro and iPad mini with this one device.

atownguy

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2020
I will admit that the reduced weight of the iPad Pro 13” is tempting - I was in an Apple Store and was caught off guard by how much lighter it feels. Still, I think there are two things you need to consider with the larger iPad Pro:
  2. While the weight is greatly reduced, holding a device that large still will get heavier much faster because of the weight distribution and how you hold it.
While I agree neither device is a long-term one-handed device, the 11” iPad Pro feels more natural to hold and manipulate than the 13” which really needs to be gripped from both sides or rested on a surface. Also, don’t forget that with the “more space” option on the 11” iPad you can get effectively the same workable space as on the 13” including full U.I. in split view and three-column layouts in apps if you care about that.

Apple really made a compelling set of devices. However, the more I use the 11” iPad Pro with the Magic Keyboard the more fond I grow of it. It gives me 12” MacBook/netbook vibes which is a device I always wanted. I’ll use it a few more days to be sure, but I’m hopeful that I can replace my 12.9” iPad Pro and iPad mini with this one device.
Im literally debating doing the exact same thing.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008

I hear ya. I really like my 11 with the magic keyboard I purchased wed. I decided to pick up the 13 today that I also ordered on day 1. A very first world problem but now I can’t decide which to return. The 13” size is new to me and I like it a lot for reading and watching media. For the backpacks, messenger bags etc that I have they don’t make much of a difference As far as size and weight. You can’t fit either in your pocket. Something about the 13 feels more magical given it’s a little thinner but bigger. A technical marvel but yes a tad bit more awkward to hold. I’ll give it this weekend to decide which is going back But I’m leaning more towards the 13 now. Can always add the magic kb later. My luck apple will release the M4 air soon with tandem oled.

kitt9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012

IN the same situation as well! We still have the 12 inch macbook, which was the rare apple device I refused to sell and still love the form factor. My wife still uses it for browsing and notes/calendar, etc. Enjoying the 11 inch pro currently, but occasionally have that Fomo for the 13 inch. I had the 12.9 Inch IPP for 2-3 years, and it always just seemed big to carry around - size in addition to the wait.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I hear ya. I really like my 11 with the magic keyboard I purchased wed. I decided to pick up the 13 today that I also ordered on day 1. A very first world problem but now I can’t decide which to return. The 13” size is new to me and I like it a lot for reading and watching media. For the backpacks, messenger bags etc that I have they don’t make much of a difference As far as size and weight. You can’t fit either in your pocket. Something about the 13 feels more magical given it’s a little thinner but bigger. A technical marvel but yes a tad bit more awkward to hold. I’ll give it this weekend to decide which is going back But I’m leaning more towards the 13 now. Can always add the magic kb later. My luck apple will release the M4 air soon with tandem oled.
The problem is the honeymoon period can last a long time. When I purchased my iPad Pro 12.9” + Keyboard I loved it for a while and was all in. Gradually over time my iPad usage began to drop. I started using my iPhone for more things because it was less of a commitment than getting out the iPad. Then I found the 12.9” a tad too big for books so I ended up with an iPad mini. I know many on this forum like that dual setup, but I thought it was odd that I was buying an iPad to augment an iPad.

Later I picked up a Pro Max phone and my iPad Pro became a glorified TV. I’d use either my phone or iPad mini for most casual things.

While I like the idea of the 13” - my usage showed me I will waste it’s potential.

Aka757

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
Houston
The problem is the honeymoon period can last a long time. When I purchased my iPad Pro 12.9” + Keyboard I loved it for a while and was all in. Gradually over time my iPad usage began to drop. I started using my iPhone for more things because it was less of a commitment than getting out the iPad. Then I found the 12.9” a tad too big for books so I ended up with an iPad mini. I know many on this forum like that dual setup, but I thought it was odd that I was buying an iPad to augment an iPad.

Later I picked up a Pro Max phone and my iPad Pro became a glorified TV. I’d use either my phone or iPad mini for most casual things.

While I like the idea of the 13” - my usage showed me I will waste it’s potential.
Exact same for me here. I had the 12.9” M1 and loved the size (still do) but because of the size and weight I found myself using it less and less, especially after getting a 16” MBP. I got both the 11” and 13” M4 to compare the size, and while I love the screen real estate and thinness / new weight of the 13”, I can definitely see myself using the 11” more, especially as a traditional tablet. It would be easy to convince myself that my usage would be different if I kept the 13” because of the weight reduction, but it’s hard to ignore actual usage in the past, so I’m leaning towards keeping the 11”.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Exact same for me here. I had the 12.9” M1 and loved the size (still do) but because of the size and weight I found myself using it less and less, especially after getting a 16” MBP. I got both the 11” and 13” M4 to compare the size, and while I love the screen real estate and thinness / new weight of the 13”, I can definitely see myself using the 11” more, especially as a traditional tablet. It would be easy to convince myself that my usage would be different if I kept the 13” because of the weight reduction, but it’s hard to ignore actual usage in the past, so I’m leaning towards keeping the 11”.
The weight reduction definitely helps, but I think the more critical factor is the actual size. It's a LOT of iPad which is both great and not great. It can be awkward in a car ride and isn't as grab-and-go nimble for impromptu usage. I have a rabbit and sitting in the floor with a large iPad that I may need to set aside constantly is a bit clunky. Laying in bed that is a LOT of screen in front of my face. Its biggest selling point is also its biggest drawback.

As much as I hate to say this - I read all of these forms for years and agonized over the size. I scoured over Reddit posts and YouTube videos and went to the Apple Store multiple times. You will never fully know what device is for you until you buy it and use it. Unfortunately, it may take after the return period for you to truly get a feel for it. I see posts on here where people say they returned one after a single day. I'd encourage everyone to at least use their device a week and see what happens. You adapt quickly and then once you have usage data nothing can predict future usage like past usage. That's how I settled on the 11" despite being tempted for the 13"

Golf7-R

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2017
Frankfurt
The weight reduction definitely helps, but I think the more critical factor is the actual size. It's a LOT of iPad which is both great and not great. It can be awkward in a car ride and isn't as grab-and-go nimble for impromptu usage. I have a rabbit and sitting in the floor with a large iPad that I may need to set aside constantly is a bit clunky. Laying in bed that is a LOT of screen in front of my face. Its biggest selling point is also its biggest drawback.

As much as I hate to say this - I read all of these forms for years and agonized over the size. I scoured over Reddit posts and YouTube videos and went to the Apple Store multiple times. You will never fully know what device is for you until you buy it and use it. Unfortunately, it may take after the return period for you to truly get a feel for it. I see posts on here where people say they returned one after a single day. I'd encourage everyone to at least use their device a week and see what happens. You adapt quickly and then once you have usage data nothing can predict future usage like past usage. That's how I settled on the 11" despite being tempted for the 13"
Wow you put my thoughts into words. For me it was always more the size not the actual weight. Reading wont help much, you need to use it and try for yourself. Happy with the 11 this time.

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
11 at this weight is about the maximum size of ipad that i can hold with my left hand and fuddle around on with my right and remain comfortable. If I were strictly attached to a desk or something when using it to draw or whatever, I would do 13. But the portability and handheldedness of the device is the biggest draw for me so it had to be 11. Praying that they don't pop the pros up to 12 and 14 or something in the future but I fear it's coming as a new perk/reason to jack up prices again eventually. Will enjoy 11 for as long as I can. Truly a sweet spot for media consumption, split screening, gaming, etc. It's in the Goldilocks zone for me.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I got to the point that I don’t even like to hold the 11 inch anymore so I use this holder connected to a table next to my chair. Much much better. Did saying with the 12.9 inch sometime ago and it helped a whole lot since holding and 12.9 inch Became uncomfortable after a while.
Awesome!!

MFDoom

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2009
Every few years I flirt with the bigger iPad Pro. This time around I will be coming down from a 12.9 M2 iPad Pro back to my home size of 11in. I love the larger screen size but I find I miss the 11in portability. I didn't care for how the big iPad Pro felt in my backpack and even at my work from home desk, it took up just enough space to be annoying. I am overjoyed that I get the best screen in a small package this time around.

Reactions: dmccombs

lermal

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2007
Florida

I agree with your sentiment (but in reverse 😎). I pre-ordered the 13” for pickup & read all there was that I could - including coming across many a post about “More Space” & making the 11” feel bigger. When I got to the store, I looked at the 11” and decided to go with it. Unfortunately for me, it felt a bit too small for my usage, so after 4 days of use I exchanged and now am on the 13” (I had a 12.9” M1).

Reactions: wib

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
I have had two iPads since the large iPad came out - usually the base iPad and an iPad Pro. Both have their merits - for work, nothing compares to an iPad Pro doing multitasking in Split View. For portability and reading (newspapers, books, etc); nothing compares to the 11“ form factor. The good news is that now you can get get a Pro or an Air in either form factor. I am intrigued by the 11” Air with more storage and a landscape camera to pair with my M1 iPad Pro, and ultimately likely a base iPad Pro 13” (M4 or maybe the next version).

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2008
If I didn’t already have a 14” m3 Pro I would get the 13” but the 11” is so much more portable to the point i downgraded to 512 just to add on cellular since I would be using it so much more on the go. With the Smart Cover I can put it into my inner jacket pocket. No chance of doing that with the 13”

It’s a pity I feel lots are considering moving from 11 to 13” because of the 0.2mm reduction of thickness. If only they matched the 11” with the thinness this year

I think a 12 and 14” would be better sizes with thinner bezels. I think a 12” would be the best overall size for a tablet of multi purpose

Last edited:

jayemery

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2007
There’s lots of really great input on this thread! I had the 2018 12.9” iPad Pro, and before that had the smaller 10.5” size. Now I have the 13 inch iPad Pro and am finding I’m mostly using it the same way I used my 12.9” - as a desk computer. The thing is, I want to use it on the couch to edit photos while my wife is watching TV, or read a book on the back deck, or maybe even take it to bed; but I’m finding even the 13” iPad Pro to be too uncomfortable to use as a tablet. I’m always resting it flat using my hand as a table, or holding it upright and letting the edge fall into my stomach as I’m leaning back. Holding it in the bottom corner with my thumb and pinky finger to balance it just gets too difficult.

I work from home so my iPad doesn’t leave the house too often. I dock the iPad with the Magic Keyboard and have it plugged into an external monitor for my main setup, and for this the 13” size is wonderful. I’m curious to hear about people who also work from home, and whether they prefer 11” vs 13”. Like many other posts here, I wonder if I would actually be able to enjoy the iPad as a tablet more if I got the 11”. Like one person said, using it as a tablet that can go into laptop mode, instead of doing what I’ve been doing which is using it as a laptop that can go into tablet mode. I wonder if this is true not just for people who travel and commute to work, but also for people who just use it at home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.