Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
Both my brother and I noticed that closing the cover doesn’t turn off the iPad Pro like it used to. You’d hear a click as it went to sleep. Now, the display stays on and it doesn’t sleep when the cover closes. Software bug?

TimmerSuds

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2013
I have an 11" Pro and a 13" Pro, both with the Apple Folio Cover and they both turn off the iPad when closing the cover.

Cbear7

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2024
I’m having this problem also. Mine is a 3rd party case. Sometimes I hear the click and it turns off, other times it doesn’t. I’m pretty sure it’s not the case.

DarkRaider

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2015
I’m going to the Apple Store later today to try my new iPad Pro with their official cases. If it doesn’t work, I’m asking for a new one.

TimmerSuds

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2013
Are you using a screen protector? I’m not on mine.

As mentioned above - My 11” send 13” Pro’s both turn off when closing the cover.

I am using the Apple covers on both.
I am not using a screen protector on either.
Neither make the click sound when it turns off.

DarkRaider

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2015
Okay I just got back from the Apple Store. So this is a bit of a weird one. I tried the Magic Keyboard with my iPad and it worked perfectly. I assumed at that point that my ESR case was the issue.

I then had the idea of trying the ESR case on the display iPads and they all worked! So Apple went ahead and replaced my iPad for a new one. I also bought the Smart Folio along with it.

Now the Smart Folio works with the replacement iPad but the ESR doesn’t work with this one again. I have no idea what any of this means but it sounds like this issue is hit or miss.

Reactions: sparksd

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
Okay I just got back from the Apple Store. So this is a bit of a weird one. I tried the Magic Keyboard with my iPad and it worked perfectly. I assumed at that point that my ESR case was the issue.

I then had the idea of trying the ESR case on the display iPads and they all worked! So Apple went ahead and replaced my iPad for a new one. I also bought the Smart Folio along with it.

Now the Smart Folio works with the replacement iPad but the ESR doesn’t work with this one again. I have no idea what any of this means but it sounds like this issue is hit or miss.
Hmm, I wonder if it's something that will be fixed by software update. If it's a hardware issue, I'm exchanging mine. I paid too much for something to not work.

BitBLT

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2013
I doubt it's completely broken in software or everyone else would have problems. It could be buggy though. You could force restart your iPad if you haven't as something to try. Somewhere I saw a cycle of disable lock, force restart, reenable lock.

TanukiT

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2024
Well, I would not have noticed this right away without seeing this post.

I ordered both the 11 and 13 inch M4's and I have this problem on my 11. I have ESR folio cases on both of them. The 13 locks and unlocks normally when I open / shut the case. On the 11, the screen stays on.

However! If I take the case off the iPad, and slide only the front of the folio cover over the screen. It locks / unlocks the screen normally. Once I fully reattach the case to the back of the iPad, once again, no locking.

I'm kind of curious if anyone else here experiencing this can try the same thing and get a similar result. Could there be a magnet on the back side of this case that's causing a problem or something? 🤔

edit - Just to add a little more info. This is *with* a screen protector on both the 11 and 13

Last edited:

TanukiT

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2024
IMG_0003.jpeg
Just wanted to do another little update. With the ESR folio case for the 11. I found it if I place a thick cardstock in this location, the lock / unlock function works.

The iPad itself seems to lock and unlock when two magnets line up on either side of the screen while in portrait.

There must be a magnet out of place in the case or something causing the problem.

Reactions: andreezy777

DarkRaider

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2015
View attachment 2379218 Just wanted to do another little update. With the ESR folio case for the 11. I found it if I place a thick cardstock in this location, the lock / unlock function works.

The iPad itself seems to lock and unlock when two magnets line up on either side of the screen while in portrait.

There must be a magnet out of place in the case or something causing the problem.
Yup, exact same issue. Seems to be an issue with the ESR cases.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
Update - I bought the Apple folio case and the iPad properly makes the "click" and turns off when I close it.

Reactions: DarkRaider
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.