Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
is 8gb ram suffice for stuff like surfing net (with 8 tabs opened), watching 1080p movie and ms word/excel in the background?

shenfrey

macrumors 68030
May 23, 2010
You haven't given us the specifics of your computer, I have a 2014 2.8ghz i5/8gb Mini with a Fusion Drive. The Fusion drive is actually a 128gb SSD paired with a 1tb hard drive. I split the SSD from the Fusion drive, which is simple and only involves a few terminal commands. It runs Mojave very well.

So my first question is whether you actually have a Fusion drive, or just a hard drive (Apple sold both configurations)? If it's a Fusion Drive, then it's only a matter of software to separate the SSD. Otherwise, it looks like installing a PCie drive is actually quite simple (although I have not tried myself). OWC rates it as "straightforward". See this:

The external SSD is also a nice - and even simpler - option. However, performance is not nearly as good. So it's up to you... Here's my internal SSD

mini2014-128ssd.png

I also have four different USB3 external SSD's (in sizes ranging from 500gb to 4tb), and they all clock just about the same.

oyen-4tb.png

As for downgrading from Mojave.... why not move to the SSD first and see what you think about performance? Like I said, my 2014 Mini is perfectly happy with Mojave. Caveat: mine is just a media server that runs iTunes 24/7, so it's possible that you'd have different results if you use a bunch of programs simultaneously.

How does it run without splitting the drives, is it still snappy with the fusion drive? I only ask because I have ordered one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.