Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D4walker

macrumors member
May 26, 2019
The Mini was never about paying less for a Mac. It is about choosing what your system has and what can change in the future.

Wow ok, I wish I had read this explanation a bit sooner. I bought an iMac in the end, it hasn’t arrived yet, however I know I won’t regret it since I don’t really need too much power (I’m also not a gamer), so as long as the GPU doesn’t fail I’m ok with the RP580X and the i5, my only regret is that I lose any kind of portability with this one. Nonetheless, if by the time I have to change computers again the mini is still around I will give it another chance. I really wanted to get that one but I didn’t have peripherals or eGPU and so on, so I thought it would be more convenient for me to chose the iMac in this moment.

Thank you for this insightful answer, I’m sure it will help others that my have the same dilemma about what computer to get. A mini with the right tools is a great machine.

Reactions: Tapper

smetvid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
Wow ok, I wish I had read this explanation a bit sooner. I bought an iMac in the end, it hasn’t arrived yet, however I know I won’t regret it since I don’t really need too much power (I’m also not a gamer), so as long as the GPU doesn’t fail I’m ok with the RP580X and the i5, my only regret is that I lose any kind of portability with this one. Nonetheless, if by the time I have to change computers again the mini is still around I will give it another chance. I really wanted to get that one but I didn’t have peripherals or eGPU and so on, so I thought it would be more convenient for me to chose the iMac in this moment.

Thank you for this insightful answer, I’m sure it will help others that my have the same dilemma about what computer to get. A mini with the right tools is a great machine.

The iMac is not a bad machine at all. In fact it is a great computer. I have owned many iMacs in the past and they are very solid machines that do everything most people need them to do. The reality of upgradable components is not many people actually do it. For example by the time 32GB is no longer enough for my Mac Mini it will likely be time for a new system anyway. While I can upgrade the RAM to 64GB I doubt I ever will. By the time that happens I will be ready for a 8 core or 12 core Mac Mini or whatever we have in the future. Some people do need that extra RAM but typically if they really do they probably should have just got the 64GB from the start. Needs rarely change that much in the lifespan of a computer where 32GB is perfect one day and suddenly can't cut it anymore the next day. You either need 64GB from day one or you don't ever need it.

The display on the 27" iMac is fantastic and worth every penny. I just hate that I can never use that display on another computer. For me personally I would rather invest in a different monitor that I can use with any other computer in the future. Doesn't make the iMac display have any less of value however and its one of the best displays you can get.

The beauty of that iMac is you can upgrade the RAM in the future if you need to and for whatever reason if the GPU does fail or is no longer enough for you you can use a eGPU. So you will likely never be stuck. You will likely find yourself wanting a new computer by that point anyway.

Reactions: D4walker

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
smetvid sort of alluded to this but with the iMac you still have the same expandability as you would with the mini, the only difference is that you won't be able to take the monitor with you. But if the GPU no longer fits your needs, or in the future, if you go with an eGPU just to "stay current," that's a component you'll be able to take with you if you decide to go with a mini next. Think of it as making a slow transition to the mini, should that be what you choose to do a few years down the road.

I guess where I disagree with smetvid is about the utility of upgradability. As far as internal upgrades go, Apple has basically limited us to RAM at this point. For everything else you're looking to Thunderbolt 3 peripherals (which still have a lot of utility and represent a lot more options than we had previously). When I used to run Windows I swapped out practically every component at some point; my computer was just this slowly evolving, ever-changing thing. I know most people don't do that, just as most people don't open the hoods of their cars; what I did with my Windows PCs is what I would do with my Macs, if I could. Adding more RAM and swapping out hard drives (on my older models - can't do that anymore!) was just a way to squeeze out some extra years from the devices. With Thunderbolt 3 and the ability to add on more than just RAM, it's a way to get more years but also to save money. My iMac has Thunderbolt 2 ports and thus lacks official eGPU support; when I bought the computer I paid for the pricier GPU upgrade from Apple because I had no choice. If I were buying now, I'd do the same thing that I did when choosing how much RAM I wanted Apple to give me: get the cheapest option, and then do the upgrade myself.

Reactions: D4walker
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.