Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D4walker

macrumors member
May 26, 2019
I just got my 3.2 i7 Mac Mini and I'm doing some Illustrator/Photoshop work on two 4k displays and I'm really impressed with how well it's performing. This setup is FAR better than the Mac Pro 2013 I tried a while ago. The Mac Pro 2013 with its dedicated GPU felt so much more sluggish in general use. Just to show you it's hard to tell the story from benchmarks alone.

Hey! I'm currently trying to decide wether to get a mac mini i7 or a 2019 iMac, to be honest what makes me doubt a lot is the graphics card, how much RAM did you get for your mini? I'm thinking about getting 32GB, so it sort of makes up for the GPU. I usually use every Adobe app, so, since you have the mini, do you think it's enough to be able to use it intensively without a egpu? I don't see the point in buying one since then the price would be the same or almost the same as an iMac.

avxkim

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
Kazakhstan
@D4walker, i've used mac mini without eGPU with PS CC 2018 / Sketch / Figma - had no issues with it. I have 4K display scaled to 1080p. But with eGPU, web-animations got more responsive. On your place, i would go for the mini + eGPU. Disassembling iMac is the pain in the ass, also there's no way to upgrade GPU on iMac. So it depends if you have a good display already.

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
Hey! I'm currently trying to decide wether to get a mac mini i7 or a 2019 iMac, to be honest what makes me doubt a lot is the graphics card, how much RAM did you get for your mini? I'm thinking about getting 32GB, so it sort of makes up for the GPU. I usually use every Adobe app, so, since you have the mini, do you think it's enough to be able to use it intensively without a egpu? I don't see the point in buying one since then the price would be the same or almost the same as an iMac.

While I do have a Mac Mini for every day personal use, I still have an older iMac that I've been thinking of upgrading for my family. It is a tough decision if I should go with a monitor and mac mini when I replace the iMac.

The main issue for my more intensive applications with an iMac is the GPU. It can't be upgraded and is already not the most powerful you can buy. Will it get the job done in most cases..yes. At least for now.

I may go with an iMac just for the cleanliness of an open space family area but I would not be maxing it out or buying RAM from Apple.

D4walker

macrumors member
May 26, 2019
@D4walker, i've used mac mini without eGPU with PS CC 2018 / Sketch / Figma - had no issues with it. I have 4K display scaled to 1080p. But with eGPU, web-animations got more responsive. On your place, i would go for the mini + eGPU. Disassembling iMac is the pain in the ass, also there's no way to upgrade GPU on iMac. So it depends if you have a good display already.

The thing is I don’t have a monitor or eGPU+enclosure so buying all of this would make the mini almost or the same price as the high-end 27” 2019 iMac. I’m eyeing a $300 monitor which I think it’s a decent price but with the eGPU it might be best to just buy the iMac. I know it’s a pain to disassemble but the GPU is way better, for now.

3 years ago I made the mistake of buying a 21.5 iMac with 8GB of RAM and 1TB, because I didn’t know better, now that I sort of understand what the processor, RAM and everything else is for i don’t want to make the same mistake.

Sorry for the long post, I was also thinking that I could buy the eGPU later on when I feel the mini is not doing enough. Aaah, not sure what to do, but thank you so much for your reply! I only find reviews with the eGPU so it’s been a hard decision.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Another consideration here is that the iMac is much easier to upgrade RAM (which I'd wager is much more common than upgrading a GPU) and it supports twice the memory of the Mac mini (with after market upgrades, Apple only officially sell it with up to 64GB).

D4walker

macrumors member
May 26, 2019
Another consideration here is that the iMac is much easier to upgrade RAM (which I'd wager is much more common than upgrading a GPU) and it supports twice the memory of the Mac mini (with after market upgrades, Apple only officially sell it with up to 64GB).

That is very true, I’ve seen videos of the mini and you practically have to completely disassemble it. I don’t think I’m going to need more than 32GB in either option since I don’t do video editing, but yeah, that’s another thing to consider for the future.

avxkim

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
Kazakhstan

Both mini and imac supports up to 64GB of ram. Disassembling mini isn't that hard. The only difference is if you want all-in-one solution / non-upgradable in the future.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Both mini and imac supports up to 64GB of ram. Disassembling mini isn't that hard. The only difference is if you want all-in-one solution / non-upgradable in the future.

The iMac supports 128GB using after market modules, and is much easier to access.

I’m not saying the mini doesn’t have a purpose - I have one myself. But I’m also able to see how an iMac is a much simpler solution for a lot of people.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011

I actually ended up selling that Mac Mini and wouldn't recommend it for use with two 4k monitors without eGPU. Right now I'm using a Macbook Pro with eGPU and Adobe apps run much smoother for me. Unfortunately there are so many variables and use cases, it's tough coming up with the right recommendation for everyone, this is why we got so many threads with so many opinions and comments. I would recommend to buy it and test it and if needed return it within the return window.

Reactions: D4walker

avxkim

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
Kazakhstan
I actually ended up selling that Mac Mini and wouldn't recommend it for use with two 4k monitors without eGPU. Right now I'm using a Macbook Pro with eGPU and Adobe apps run much smoother for me. Unfortunately there are so many variables and use cases, it's tough coming up with the right recommendation for everyone, this is why we got so many threads with so many opinions and comments. I would recommend to buy it and test it and if needed return it within the return window.

Mini without eGPU isn't that good, to be honest. But why you sold yours if you had eGPU? Needed mobility?

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I just ordered the mini in my signature. I’m going to run it with a 38” ultra wide and see how it performs. If the 630 turns out to be no good, I’ll pick up a Razer Core X and an RX 5700 once those become available.

D4walker

macrumors member
May 26, 2019
Unfortunately there are so many variables and use cases, it's tough coming up with the right recommendation for everyone, this is why we got so many threads with so many opinions and comments. I would recommend to buy it and test it and if needed return it within the return window.

I was considering testing it first, unfortunately I'm not living in the states right now, so I'm unable to buy and then give it back if I don't like it (here you can buy and then return but they don't give your money back so you have to buy something else). I'm only going to use one 4K monitor, and while I don't do video editing/3D, I might do it in the future, right now I only do intensive PS/Ai/XD stuff, what makes me indecisive is the eGPU thing, and also that even with the eGPU the mini is way more portable than the iMac... So too many variables that have been haunting me for 2 months lol

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
The main issue for my more intensive applications with an iMac is the GPU. It can't be upgraded […]
Well, technically you can use an eGPU on the iMac as well. However, as it seems you’d have to connect it to an external monitor under macOS or use Windows to get support for the internal monitor (Link). Hence the mini has the advantage here, as it requires an external monitor anyway.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
I only do intensive PS/Ai/XD stuff

Do you use animated zoom in Illustrator by any chance? Because this is one thing I noticed a significant difference in the mac mini and a dedicated gpu or eGPU would have a very significant difference here. I personally can't live without this feature and that's one of the reasons it pushed me away from the mini.

The problem with adding a bunch of stuff to the mini, ie add ram, add ssd, add eGPU, the price gets out of hand so quickly that it's FAR a better value going with a Macbook Pro which usually comes with a very decent dedicated GPU that works great for 4k. That's what I would consider in your place, the mini is a poor value in general once you start upgrading all the things I mentioned above.

H0dIE0H.png

D4walker

macrumors member
May 26, 2019
The problem with adding a bunch of stuff to the mini, ie add ram, add ssd, add eGPU, the price gets out of hand so quickly that it's FAR a better value going with a Macbook Pro which usually comes with a very decent dedicated GPU that works great for 4k. That's what I would consider in your place, the mini is a poor value in general once you start upgrading all the things I mentioned above.

I do use animated zoom for like almost everything I do in Ai, and I zoom like to the extremes with Affinity Designer.

And that’s exactly what I thought... The mini can be awesome if you have like every peripheral and extras ready. I like the mini because it’s sort of portable, you only need a monitor everywhere you go, and I would rather get a MacBook Pro but it’s way too expensive for my budget so I might end up going for the iMac. I do think the mini is great overall but maybe not without the extras. Apple really killed it with the iGPU.

Thank you for your answer! I didn’t know the animated zoom used the GPU that much.

mralexandercom

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2018

32GB is a good option, I am not finding any issues while running any apps.

MacWorld78

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2012
I don't play game but I'm currently using VMware, coding graphic application, photoshop and music in played background - no issue.

Mac mini 2018, i5 along with standard 8GB ram.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
To me, the big issue with the Mac mini is its flaky bluetooth and wifi.
My Apple Trackpad frequently disconnects and almost never reconnects automatically. I have to restart the trackpad more than once on some occasions.

The Wifi suddenly stops working. I have to restart the Wifi on Mini to get it working again.

in all, this is just another unreliable piece of kit from Apple.

You have to just choose the degree of unreliability you are comfortable with when buying Apple. If you want an unreliable display (flexgate) and an unreliable keyboard - Go MacBook Pro

Unreliable GPU - iMac

Unreliable radios - Mac mini

Pick your poison.

Last edited:

D4walker

macrumors member
May 26, 2019
If you want an reliable display (flexgate) and an unreliable keyboard - Go MacBook Pro

Unreliable GPU - iMac

Unreliable radios - Mac mini

Pick your poison.

I went with the iMac in the end, but I didn’t know the GPU was so unreliable. Actually I wasn’t aware apple products were so unreliable except for the keyboard problem on MacBooks. Oh well, I hope I made the right choice and it will last me a while.

I was very undecided though, because the mini seems good but the WiFi/Bluetooth common problem + the lack of a better GPU, I preferred not to risk it. I made that mistake before.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
I went with the iMac in the end, but I didn’t know the GPU was so unreliable. Actually I wasn’t aware apple products were so unreliable except for the keyboard problem on MacBooks. Oh well, I hope I made the right choice and it will last me a while.

I was very undecided though, because the mini seems good but the WiFi/Bluetooth common problem + the lack of a better GPU, I preferred not to risk it. I made that mistake before.

As long as you don't stress the GPU, it should be fine I guess.
With the Mini, you can always add an eGPU later on, with much more powerful graphics card.

Ybersetzer

macrumors member
May 3, 2019
Germany
I use my Mac Mini (2018 i5) for heavy office use (large Word documents) and a LOT (up to 60 in Safari) of open browser tabs with a LG 4k monitor, and the graphics are FINE.
I tested 4k youtube playback (in Chrome, as Safari does not allow it), and the i5 plays 4k buttery smooth without the fans even going above the 1700 rpm-baseline. It even played 4k 60fps smoothly, with fans speeding up a bit, but not too much and no thermal issues whatsoever. So for my usecase it is perfect. I am writing this because I was concerned that the Mac Mini could not reliably push a 4k Monitor in real life use, but rest assured, it does it without breaking a sweat.

Reactions: ConvertedToMac

ncrypt

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
UK
I use my Mac Mini (2018 i5) for heavy office use (large Word documents) and a LOT (up to 60 in Safari) of open browser tabs with a LG 4k monitor, and the graphics are FINE.
I tested 4k youtube playback (in Chrome, as Safari does not allow it), and the i5 plays 4k buttery smooth without the fans even going above the 1700 rpm-baseline. It even played 4k 60fps smoothly, with fans speeding up a bit, but not too much and no thermal issues whatsoever. So for my usecase it is perfect. I am writing this because I was concerned that the Mac Mini could not reliably push a 4k Monitor in real life use, but rest assured, it does it without breaking a sweat.
How much RAM do you have?

Ybersetzer

macrumors member
May 3, 2019
Germany
How much RAM do you have?
I now have 16 gb (I did it myself, I found the available tutorials on the net to be very helpful, so I was able to do it safely, even though I am not otherwise experienced with such things), but when I did my tests and the above observations, I only had the standard 8 gb of RAM.

I found that my geekbench scores got a little bit better after I went from 8 to 16 Gb:

With 8 GB it was 5183 Single-Core and 20084 Multi-Core.
With 16 GB it is now 5353 and 21911.

The felt difference in daily use (8 versus 16 GB) is slim. When I deliberately tried to get my machine to swap and develop "yellow" memory pressure, I was able to do so at some point (boatloads of heavy Safari tabs and 1080p Youtube.) And in normal daily use, my Mac Mini with 8 GB did some minor swapping. But none of this was by any means slowing me down.

Now with 16 GB, the machine never swaps in my usual, daily use. Some memory compression, but that is how it is supposed to be, even with lots of RAM.
I am MIGHTILY pleased with the Mac Mini 2018 (i5, 256gb SSD) that I have.

EDIT/addition: And I am VERY pleased with how cool and silent the i5 is running. This was a concern of mine before buying, because it sounded on the forums that only the i3 would be silent all the time.

Daily use, including playing Youtube 1080p fullscreen on a 4k monitor: the fan is running at baseline-speed, which (and I am picky!) means it is silent. Even at night when everything is quiet I would not be able to tell (from where I sit) whether the Mac Mini is running or not.

And the temperatures (CPU) are mostly in the 40ies (Celsius), dipping into the high 30ies, or peaking into low 50ies while playing 1080p 50fps fullscreen.

Case temperature as I am sitting and typing this: 31.5 deg. Celsius / 89 Fahrenheit (at 24 deg. Celsius room temperature). Which means the casing is cooler than body temperature. Nice!

Last edited:
Reactions: ncrypt and Duncan68

cfurlin

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
In any config, how would these new minis handle the Adobe CC suite? Assuming no external add-ons?
I use the Adobe CC suite and have had no problems. I think Character Animator and Dimension would be the problem children, but I don't use them so someone else would need to comment on those apps.

smetvid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
The thing is I don’t have a monitor or eGPU+enclosure so buying all of this would make the mini almost or the same price as the high-end 27” 2019 iMac. I’m eyeing a $300 monitor which I think it’s a decent price but with the eGPU it might be best to just buy the iMac. I know it’s a pain to disassemble but the GPU is way better, for now.

3 years ago I made the mistake of buying a 21.5 iMac with 8GB of RAM and 1TB, because I didn’t know better, now that I sort of understand what the processor, RAM and everything else is for i don’t want to make the same mistake.

Sorry for the long post, I was also thinking that I could buy the eGPU later on when I feel the mini is not doing enough. Aaah, not sure what to do, but thank you so much for your reply! I only find reviews with the eGPU so it’s been a hard decision.

The Mini was never about paying less for a Mac. It is about choosing what your system has and what can change in the future. The iMac is an amazing computer but that nice $1,200 display is forever stuck on that computer. If the computer dies then so does that great display.

Some of us like to choose our own GPU, display, ram, storage, keyboard and mouse. It allows us to change any of that stuff at any point in the future. It creates a truly modular setup.

With that said I have a 2018 Mac mini 6 core i7, 32GB ram, Vega 56 eGPU and a new LG 10bit factory color calibrated 27" 4k 100% sRGB monitor all for $2180. That GPU out performs any iMac GPU and that CPU out performs all the i5 based iMacs. You have to move up to the 21" i7 or the 27" i9 to beat the CPU on the Mini. No way the 27" with i9 and Vega 48 GPU costs less than the $2160 I paid. The 21" iMac cannot add RAM so you are forced to buy it from Apple which puts the 21" iMac of much lower specs way more expensive than my Mac mini setup. In fact that top 27" iMac is $1,000 more than my Mac mini and that's without adding the extra $200 later for the 32GB of ram. That extra $1,000 pays for a second 27" display plus a few external SSD drives for storage and moving up to 64GB of RAM.

You have to be very careful with that base model of the 27" iMac. The i5 CPU has no hyper threading so it is much slower than the i7 or i9. While the Mini may not turbo boost as well due to cooling it is still a i7. The base also comes with a RX570 GPU which is only a notch up from the RX560 found in some MBP models. A decent GPU but definitely far from a Vega 56 or better. The 1TB Fusion drive also only uses 32GB of SSD space vs the 128GB of SSD space with the larger options so you need to at least move up to the 2TB Fusion. The 256GB SSD is only $100 more which does put the system $280 less than my Mac mini setup but once you add the $200 for 32GB of ram that iMac is only $80 less and a slower machine overall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.