Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

howdytom

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2020
Hello everyone,
since installing the Mojave Security Update 2020-002 I do get a message that my Mac Mini 2018 was restarted because of a problem even I shut it down normally. The Mac Mini 2018 was running fine for 3 months. The Apple Hardware Check does not show any errors. Also tried to reset SMC and PRAM.

Is this a known bug? Just curios wether Mac mini 2018 users who also installed Apple's Security Update 2020-002 do see the same error message?

The Diagnostic Report reads as follows:

Code:
{"caused_by":"bridgeos","macos_system_state":"shutdown","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 4.4 (17P4263)","timestamp":"2020-03-28 22:10:39.00 +0000","incident_id":"907CAD79-9364-4588-A25A-3810D0E72F8F"}
{
  "build" : "Bridge OS 4.4 (17P4263)",
  "product" : "iBridge2,5",
  "kernel" : "Darwin Kernel Version 19.4.0: Mon Mar  2 20:38:56 PST 2020; root:xnu-6153.101.6~2\/RELEASE_ARM64_T8010",
  "incident" : "907CAD79-9364-4588-A25A-3810D0E72F8F",
  "crashReporterKey" : "c0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0de0001",

Update April 11, 2020: I did some further testing regarding my initial issue. I have restored from a previous system backup using SuperDuper. This backup clone does NOT include the Security Update 2020-002 Mojave and Safari 13.1. Surprisingly the shutdown message still shows up sporadically when I power on the Mac mini. I have completely shut down my Mac mini 2018 around 10 times. I have waited 5-10 minutes. 4 of 10 times the crash report showed up. It's really difficult to debug. What's interesting is the macOS Mojave Software Update does not show the Security Update 2020-002. So it seems to be already applied. I guess it is definitely related to the T2 BridgeOS Update or other firmware settings which have been patched during the Security Update 2020-002. Restoring from a 4 weeks old system backup does not resolved my issue

Update April 24, 2020:

Workaround: As user @wywh pointed out, do not use Safari until Apple fixes the bug. I have set the default browser to Firefox and the shutdown message no longer shows upon a cold boot.

Attachments

• Your-computer-was-restarted.png
    Your-computer-was-restarted.png
    67 KB · Views: 4,488
Last edited:

chrisus

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2020
Hi I have the same problem .After doing the same trouble shooting I thought i would just erase the whole thing and go back to my back up system witch did not have this problem.
So I erased the hard drive and reinstalled the backed up system, even this is now giving me the same message !!
regards
Chrisus

Reactions: howdytom

howdytom

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2020
@chrisus Thanks for your reply and testing.

According to Mrmacintosh both the 2020-002 and 2020-002 Security Updates upgrade BridgeOS to version – 17.16.14263. So it is obvious restoring from a back up system doesn't not help.

Kiru

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2018
Same issue here, 2018 Mac Mini running Mojave. This started happening after the security update, which seemed to complete without issue. Pretty damn annoying.

chrisus

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2020
Thank you howdytom is there any way to downgrade the BridgeOS to the old version?
[automerge]1585662000[/automerge]
Hi just googled it and came up with this:-
@eholtam warns that attempting to restore BridgeOS on a Mac running a beta-release of the firmware, which would therefore try to restore the current (older) release version, results in the following fatal error:
AMRestoreErrorDomain error 79 - backwards update not allowed: 17P50541b -> 16PXXX)
This renders that Mac unusable, and it must be sent to an official Service Provider for repair.
found @ dont-try-reverting-a-t2-to-older-firmware

Last edited:

Tygernoot

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2003
Brussels
Yep, started happening on my Mini 2018. Got so annoyed with it crashing twice a day that I upgraded to Catalina. That appears to have resolved it for me so far...

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
After almost a year of "no problems", I now see that "crash report" now and then upon a cold boot.

However, there are no "crashes" while the Mini is running all day -- I get it ONLY when first booted up, and not all the time.

My impression is that this is a result of some glitch during the shutdown sequence, but I have no evidence to support that.

Annoying?
Yes, a little.
But for now, it's easy enough to click the "ignore" button and just get on with the day...

howdytom

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2020
Thank you for your feedback. So glad I am not alone with this annoying bug. Just to be clear. The error message shows up everytime I press the Mac mini power button on cold boot. The kernel message does NOT show up after reboot.

Someone at iFixit mentioned that the Mac mini needs a logic board replacement. I am not sure about that. It looks like a software bug. So far the Mac mini does not crash.

is there any way to downgrade the BridgeOS to the old version?

I am not familiar with downgrading. I don't recommend it. I am going to create a Apple Bug Report.

Last edited:
Reactions: KC2

howdytom

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2020
Update: I did a clean install macOS Mojave 10.14.6 without the Security Update 2020-002. As soon as I install the Security Update 2020-002 the annoying crash report shows up again.

Reactions: KC2

chrisus

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2020
Hi howdytom how did you go back to 10.14.6 ?
is it possible to use recovery mode ?
I have the original Mojave dmg somewhere but have the feeling I will not be able to upgrade it to 14.5 or 14.6 6

howdytom

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2020
@chrisus I didn't "go back" or downgraded Mojave. For further testing I installed a clean Mojave system on a external hard drive. I have created a bootable macOS Mojave 10.14.6 installer on USB flash drive. You can find more about that here in Apple's KB article.

Hopefully Apple get's back to my bug report. I would love to here more about your experience or workarounds. I am really looking for a solution.

Last edited:

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
After updating to the security update yesterday my 2nd monitor no longer appeared as an option. After switching Thunderbolt ports and restarting it showed finally (this has been working fine since I got the Mini over a year ago). Now this morning I find that after putting the machine to sleep last night it crashed and restarted due to a Bridge crash. I've never had one of these until now. Thanks Apple.

scschulte1

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2020
I have been seeing this for at least a week now-- and have tried everything but now believe that YES this must be related to the security update 2020-002. Do we have anything official from APPLE on this? How to contact Apple? How to find a list of recent updates on my Mac? (I tried going to Preferences/Software Update but I do not find a list of updates there--- is there another place? (I just want to verify that I did indeed install the 2020-002 security update). Thanks for any comments or feedback. This has been driving me crazy -- Thanks very much, Steve (scschulte1) on Monday 6 April 2020 at 11:41 Belgium

scschulte1

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2020
UpDate on what I wrote 40 minutes ago:

How to find a list of recent updates on my Mac?: Open the “System Information” app, found in /Applications/Utilities/ Go to the “Software” section shown in the sidebar. Choose “Installations” to see the full list of software updates ever installed on the Mac.

And yes - I have the update installed on my Mac Mini from 25 March 2020 -- and shortly after that my kernel panic restarts began!!

Can we REMOVE this security update 2020-002 (I believe not - I believe Apple has to issue an update)
Will upgrading to 10.15.x Catalina solve this? (I don't know but the security update seemed to pertain to Catalina, too so why would that help?)

Thanks for any and all feedback here.

Steve (scschulte1)
Monday 6 April 2020 12:26 Belgium

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"Update: I did a clean install macOS Mojave 10.14.6 without the Security Update 2020-002. As soon as I install the Security Update 2020-002 the annoying crash report shows up again."

Well, the solution seems obvious.
Install 10.14.6, and then DO NOT install the "update". Ignore it.

"Security" like that... you just don't need...

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
These days I clone my system partition to an external drive and verify that I can boot from it, BEFORE I install ANY of Apple’s system/security updates. Yes this extra step it’s a pain. But nowhere near as painful as dealing with Apple’s recent buggy updates.

GetRealBro

Reactions: DomC and scschulte1

scschulte1

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2020
These days I clone my system partition to an external drive and verify that I can boot from it, BEFORE I install ANY of Apple’s system/security updates. Yes this extra step it’s a pain. But nowhere near as painful as dealing with Apple’s recent buggy updates.

GetRealBro
That is a great suggestion! And I keep regular SuperDuper! bootable backups and my new Samsung X5 (yes - the high speed X5) boots almost as fast as my internal 1tb drive on my Mac Mini. So prior to any updates, I will make a full backup; then start from the backup Thunderbolt-3 external SSD and test it for ??? a couple of days? I will definitely do that from now on. Really appreciate this suggestion!! Regards, Steve Monday 6 April 2020 17:56

chrisus

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2020
Hi I have also always tried the backup to se that it is bootable.
When I wiped my hard disc the last time and put the backup back, I then went to chose the disc the computer should start from(Mac mini ) I got the message you can not chose this hard disc it was/is not blessed!!
Luck have it that the system is backed up on three different hard disc's of witch only one of them allowed me to chose the recloned hard disc.
After talking with support for the back up manufacture he assured me that it would work if you restart the computer in target mode and chose the disc there,I did not want to try this as I had managed to get back to the state before the security back up.
I did start the Mac mini in start up mode to see if all alternative's shows up and they did so chose the computers hard disc and since then have not had the start up message so far after 4 or 5 restarts
Chrisus

scschulte1

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2020
On the Apple Discussions group, one person wrote that my idea of erasing my internal SSD and installing a backup bootable copy PRIOR TO the Security UpDate 2020-002 may not work since the update may have altered ROM in the T2 security chip. This goes way beyond my knowledge and technical skills -- what he wrote follows and I'm now basically waiting for a solution from Apple.

He wrote:
Hello Stephen,

As I stated, I’m not completely sure whether the BridgeOS is written into a ROM-area of the T2. It seems logic to me but I still have to verify this idea.

But if it would be the case, I would still doubt that even a complete swap of the data from a backup to the erased internal SSD would exchange any data on the T2 chip. I would assume that this could only be done by an installer, most likely signed by Apple.

(If it would be that easy to exchange software on/for a Security chip, I’d had reservations about the provided security).

Hopefully something soon from Apple! Please everyone, keep posting when / if you learn something.

Best regards,

Steve Schulte
Tuesday 7 April 2020

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
It’s pretty sad when NOT applying the latest Apple “security update”, may be the best course of action to keep our Macs still functional :( Ironically, this may be especially true for Macs with T2 security chips.

GetRealBro

Reactions: linrey and jackerin

Wolf1701

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006
I have updated 3 macs with mojave security patch 2020-02 (imac 2019, macmini 2012, macmini 2018) so far no problems.

My procedure: First thing a Onyx cleanup, then a PRAM reset, download the whole 1.6GB standalone file from apple downloads and install.

Maybe the standalone update is better (as combo updates usually are).

howdytom

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2020
@Wolf1701 Excellent point. Unfortunately the macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Combo Update does not include the Security Update 2020-002 Mojave. Post date: Sep 26, 2019. Anyway, I will give it a try in my test environment.

Last edited:

Wolf1701

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006
@Wolf1701 Excellent point regarding. Unfortunately the macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Combo Update does not include the Security Update 2020-002 Mojave. Post date: Sep 26, 2019. Anyway, I will give it a try in my test environment.

I'm sorry if my english is not good enough, I meant this file:

MAYBE the manual download of this security patch can be as effective as one combo for the point releases.

This release involve some firmware update, IMHO poor choice from Apple to include such a delicate thing into a security patch AND without any chance to roll back.

Last edited:

scschulte1

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2020
OK my Mac still shutting down (restarting) 2x to 4x per day. I shut it off nights now…

Let's see - On 9 April 2020 there is a Catalina 10.15.4 update out there but no reference to security nor Mojave 10.14.6………

Any further information -- please post it here. Thanks!

Best regards,

Steve Schulte
Thursday 9 April 2020

watakoola

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
Australia
This was a much bigger update than I expected, with multiple restarts plus a firmware update to

Boot ROM Version:
1037.100.362.0.0 (iBridge: 17.16.14281.0.0,0)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.