Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
Since it's not a bug, expecting a fix without finding the problem is an unrealistic expectation.

The 210 error is the symptom, not the problem.
So, what's the symptom on a totally fresh Mojave install could be here? Which Mac OS factory program affects on it?
What device causes that problem if nothing is connected to mini? Maybe power cord, huh?

Again, I repeat: this is completely clean mini, with no software or hardware installed/connected. Just Mojave (even wallpaper hasn't changed), just nothing else.

Reactions: linrey

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
2 days of it being on the entire time and no crashes. If you have aftermarket ram and you have the time, give memtest86 a whirl y'all.
I too had experienced the same kernel panics, and I read all the 21 pages of this thread, always thinking it was related to the T2 Controller, but indeed it was the RAM (one of my bought 16GB RAM module was having thousands of errors!).

It passed the Apple Diagnostics, but after trying memtest86 in a bootable USB PEN drive, it gave me thousands of errors at test #3 (out of 12 I think, on the first pass). NOTE: many thanks to @crazeazn for the suggestion, you helped me a lot with that comment!

I also read in this thread that the panic is a symptom and not the reason (obviously), but indeed it had nothing to do with the T2 controller (in my case).

I opened my Mac and tested each module individually, and spotted the faulty one (maybe the other will fail with time, let's see). I placed the original 4GB with my 16GB, not very pretty, but in the day to day use it is great in terms of performance, I haven't noticed any visible change in my workflow (for now, at least).

I can use Safari, sleep, etc. I have the "bad" controller version (1554.120.19.0.0 (iBridge: 18.16.14663.0.0,0)), but it works as expected (I hope I'm not writing this too soon, I have already two days of uptime without a crash).

So, I would also like to recommend a RAM test if you can, in case you also have random crashes.

From what everyone can read in this thread, the controller firmware was indeed the culprit in most of the cases for the people here, but it may not be in some odd cases, like mine.

Reactions: howdytom

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
From what everyone can read in this thread, the controller firmware was indeed the culprit in most of the cases for the people here
Not once, not ever. It was the canary in the coal mine. The blind guessing that it must be the firmware is only that. The first time I encountered it, a senior Apple engineer told me that, no matter what I thought, the T2 chip and firmware weren't the issue — once that was understood, we could find the problem — it's always been something else.

I am now working with Apple Support on a weird one. Either Dropbox.app or certain Corel Paint products work ok but both on the same Mac is causing many problems including this one. The Corel Launch Agent keeps reinstalling the offending file, of course. Each company blames the other as you might expect. Fortunately, Toast does not use or install this offending code but the "Pro apps" that the Toast Installer wants to load onto your machine do.

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Not once, not ever. It was the canary in the coal mine. The blind guessing that it must be the firmware is only that.
I understand your comment, but how can you explain that after most have updated the firmware (either via the Big Sur install, or an update to Mojave), the issue went away?

Unless the firmware/system update also installed/updated something else, and the firmware update was a mix in the updates. In this case I agree that the controller could not have been the culprit.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I understand your comment, but how can you explain that after most have updated the firmware (either via the Big Sur install, or an update to Mojave), the issue went away?

Unless the firmware/system update also installed/updated something else, and the firmware update was a mix in the updates. In this case I agree that the controller could not have been the culprit.
This happens to people running High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina and Big Sur. There are many threads on this. The first time if happened to me, it was after I updated to Mojave and ran a security update. It took a few weeks to resolve and Apple was ready to exchange my iMac Pro — but lockdown had just happened so I insisted we find the real cause and we did.

I have a a large number of clients left over from my days supporting Macs in schools so I’ve been down this road many times now.

It is not what you think it is. I don’t have to explain “why” because what you say isn’t true. It does happen to some after a Mojave update (me) or Big Sur (others) or Catalina (me again).

Once again: IF IT HAPPENS TO YOU, CONTACT APPLE SUPPORT, HAVE THEM FIND THE OFFENDING CODE (normally a .kext), HAVE THEM WALK YOU THROUGH REMOVING IT AND RESET THE LAUNCH SERVICES. THIS WILL FIX YOU UP. EVERY TIME.

There. This is my last post in this thread. I will no longer see nor respond to any further posts. I’m done with this.

msephton

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom, Europe
Wow. What a toxic attitude.

Saying "it's not what you think, it's something else, but I'm not going to tell you what" is not helpful at all.

I continue to believe it's a firmware issue because that's what fixed it for me, and most in this thread.

And unless specifically told otherwise I'm don't really have the information to change my mind, you know?

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
There. This is my last post in this thread. I will no longer see nor respond to any further posts. I’m done with this.
I had no intention to offend you (it seems so, by your reply and "shouting"), as a matter of fact I was genuinely asking the question of why this issue was fixed after the update, but if you feel so angry about it, obviously you don't need to participate anymore in this thread.

I for one am very happy that my issue was solved, and I don't regret having read all the posts in the 21 pages of the thread, and even if in my case I didn't even had to update the firware to solve my issue, thus prooving that the issue can be something else.

BTW, not all have access to support (in my country the support is payed), and from other experiences that I've had, they weren't very useful, that's why I resort to this forum.

Anyway, I'm happy with my Mac and with Mojave, more than eight days and no issues at all :)

PF Slow

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2021
The mystic Valley of Silicon
Wow. What a toxic attitude.

Saying "it's not what you think, it's something else, but I'm not going to tell you what" is not helpful at all.

I continue to believe it's a firmware issue because that's what fixed it for me, and most in this thread.

And unless specifically told otherwise I'm don't really have the information to change my mind, you know?
I had this happen and found this thread in a Google search. It looks to me that he has spoken to Apple Engineering and explained many times over 21 pages what the issues are and what to do.

All I know is that I followed his advice and the problem went away after a senior support tech got involved.

The only toxic attitude I see on this page is yours.

PF Slow

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2021
The mystic Valley of Silicon
Welcome to the thread @PF Slow.

It would help if you could tell us what the senior tech support did to resolve the issue?
That's not how Apple works. There's a case number. I asked for a call on Apple's support site and my phone rang a minute later. Tech logged into my Mini and emailed a support bot that I installed and rebooted. When it crashed and I booted in safe mode, the log was uploaded and she was able to tell me three kxt files to remove and walked me through it. They were hidden in other files so they never appeared in the crash log that I could see. When the call was over, I was emailed the case number with a link that reopens it if the problem doesn't go away. Apple then sent a survey that gives first name only.

msephton

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom, Europe
That's great. Thanks.

So for you and mikehalloran kexts were the problem. But which kexts?

For myself, and many others, no kexts were ever removed to solve the problem. The T2 upgrade was enough to fix it.

So it appears there are two scenarios here.

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
That's great. Thanks.

For myself, and many others, no kexts were ever removed to solve the problem. The T2 upgrade was enough to fix it.

I would add a third (an possibly many other) scenario, like the one that I experienced, where a faulty RAM module was making my Mini have that error, and I didn't update the T2, nor remove any kext.

Reactions: msephton

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
That's great. Thanks.

I don't understand, why someone would insist that _there can be only one_ solution, when there can be several?

If some kext cause a panic with certain FW, why wouldn't it behave different with some other FW?
So both, changing the FW or removing the kext can remove the panic.

Is there something I'm missing here?

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
Finally, after two or more years of oblivion, my Mini was fixed by the service center (not Apple one).

The problem was in the power module, smth about CPU power supply (they replaced some burnt SMD components), it couldn't get enough power to work properly.

Cost $100 for me, it works like a charm now, no more kernel panics. Panics were not related to T2.

Last edited:
  • Love

wufan

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2022
Finally, after two or more years of oblivion, my Mini was fixed by the service center (not Apple one).

The problem was in the power module, smth about CPU power supply (they replaced some burnt SMD components), it couldn't get enough power to work properly.

Cost $100 for me, it works like a charm now, no more kernel panics. Panics were not related to T2.
“roots_installed”:0,“caused_by”:“bridgeos”,“os_version”:“Bridge OS 7.1 (20P2059)”,“macos_system_state”:“未知”,“incident_id”:“D6F06F4D-F982-4CB8-B7D4-F24C4E6940F0”,“bug_type”:“210”,“bridgeos_roots_installed”:0,“时间戳”:
Have you fixed this and did it reappear later

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
“roots_installed”:0,“caused_by”:“bridgeos”,“os_version”:“Bridge OS 7.1 (20P2059)”,“macos_system_state”:“未知”,“incident_id”:“D6F06F4D-F982-4CB8-B7D4-F24C4E6940F0”,“bug_type”:“210”,“bridgeos_roots_installed”:0,“时间戳”:
Have you fixed this and did it reappear later
It was a hardware problem and was fixed by the service center. But a week ago that started to happen again, so it should be fixed again :confused:

wufan

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2022
It was a hardware problem and was fixed by the service center. But a week ago that started to happen again, so it should be fixed again :confused:
Can you determine what went wrong? I now have this three times a day,I don't know how to deal with it?

wufan

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2022
Did you read the post you quoted? I have nothing to add to it.
You're repairing in the right direction,-smth about CPU power supply (they replaced some burnt SMD components),
Why did it arise later, is it still the same question?

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
You're repairing in the right direction,-smth about CPU power supply (they replaced some burnt SMD components),
Why did it arise later, is it still the same question?
I think because of badly engineered power supply, so power phases keep failing.

wufan

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2022
I think because of badly engineered power supply, so power phases keep failing.
Thank you very much for your help,I'll go to a third party tomorrow who specializes in repairing Apple computers,There are many of these professional repair shops in Chengdu, China。

Reactions: etc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.