Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
@mikehalloran , I don't think anything that hasn't played by apple's increasingly adversarial attempts to restrict what programs can do on the system is crapware. HP yes. Small devs who's products don't fit the rules for App Store listings? Nah. Mac Keeper is crapware. Anyway, that debate has many fine points and has been had about a billion times on the net.

@msep
I've spoken with Apple Engineering many times over the last 9 months on behalf of myself and my clients. I'm guessing you haven't.

People are trying to solve a specific problem and I know how to do it, having been successful 100% so far. What's your point? (that's rhetorical. I'm not interested in your answer).

brandair

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010
I don't have any of them, this is a clean Mojave install. Nothing has been upgraded.

I assume the problem is related to cooling or somethin' Because when it's cold, it works. I'll install temp monitor and see.
Which Mac Mini model are you using?

When did these panic crashes start to happen?

Also, why did a Mac OS install/upgrade put your MM into such a mess? Was it an upgrade or fresh install?

If you indeed wiped the boot disk and did a complete fresh OS install without any Migration Assistant transfers nor individual software installs afterwards, then I can't think of anything else than a hardware fault of some kind.

Did you check if the MM fan is running, i.e. with Mac Fans Control?

brandair

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010

Also, why did a Mac OS install/upgrade put your MM into such a mess? Was it an upgrade or fresh install?

If you indeed wiped the boot disk and did a complete fresh OS install without any Migration Assistant transfers nor individual software installs afterwards, then I can't think of anything else than a hardware fault of some kind.

Also, ensure that you used a very recent MacOS Mojave, such as 14.6.06, for the installation, since older versions might not be compatible with newer Bridge OS firmware.

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
Once again, Bridge OS is not the problem. In the many calls I've had with Apple Engineering on a number of Macs, it hasn't been — not once.

It's the symptom. Bridge OS is telling you there is a problem. You need to pay attention or this will not go away.

Apple can run a trace of exactly what's going on and (a) find the conflict and help you remove it — (b) or tell you that there's none and that Engineering is working on it — (c) or escalate to Engineering and they will get back to you. I've had (a) and (c) but never (b)

To make any of this happen, you need to initiate a phone support call on Apple's support site. It's free and they usually call back within 10 minutes of the request. Let us know what they say.

In your case, something called AFK_KIC_MAILBOX is showing up in the crash report. Don't be surprised if Apple points to it as the culprit. It may be connected to something old on your system — if so, removing it will not affect anything that should be running.

In the case of my iMac Pro, it was three old .kxt files that haven't been valid since OS 10.7 including Soundflower (the current version is fine). This happens a lot with ancient code trying to load when it shouldn't. With my clients, it's been crap such as 2005 HP print drivers, Finale 2009 help files, the Bresink temp sensor and other 3rd party crapware. It's always something and removing it has always fixed the problem.

Fixing the problem always stops the crashing but doesn't always cure the shut down and slow boot issue that often accompany this problem. For that, you need to Reset Launch Services using the Terminal Commands I've posted before. This will also reset the boot routines of each of your installed apps. Not a bad idea to to that once a year or so—you'll notice that some slow loading apps now start up much faster.

Wll, I understand your point, but this Mac mini is not eligible for the service. At first I'd try to fix it by myself.

2018 mini with i5 3.0, 256 gb ssd, 8 gb ram

It's a long story. It worked as a build machine in our company for 2 months and then just died, we couldn't switch it on anymore. We brought at service (I don't know where it was) and in a month according to the documents the motherboard was replaced and everything was wiped. We already bought a new mini then, so this one was a reserved machine, but not used for half a year.

Later I got it and wanted to use as a build machine too. It worked for a day or more, but then I decided to install Catalina from App Store over Mojave to it, but once the upgrade was downloaded and mini rebooted to install, it failed to boot. And it couldn't boot anymore (infinite boot loop again), so I ran Hardware Diagnostics and restored Mojave. But it didn't work well even for an hour because of random crashes and eventually fall back to boot loop. I left it for a while.

Recently I read the new about Bridge OS update, revived mini, but all the problems remain. I noticed, that it works well when it's cool and no displays connected (I use it via Screen Sharing).

Fan is running according to iStat menus.

Also, ensure that you used a very recent MacOS Mojave, such as 14.6.06, for the installation, since older versions might not be compatible with newer Bridge OS firmware.

10.14.6 (18G6042) installed, this is the latest release with all security update onboard.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Wll, I understand your point, but this Mac mini is not eligible for the service. At first I'd try to fix it by myself.

2018 mini with i5 3.0, 256 gb ssd, 8 gb ram

(and bla, bla, bla…)
And that’s where you are wrong. If it’s a supported MacOS on a Mac that Apple says can run it, then it’s covered.

The support call is free. With OS issues, it has always been.

High Sierra support ended this month except for Macs still under AppleCare. Mojave, Catalina and Big Sur are.

Hackintosh, Macs that require a hack etc. are not eligible. For example, a 2012 Mac Pro running Mojave is but not if running Catalina since that requires a hack.

Since BridgeOS only applies to the T2 chip, all T2 equipped Macs are covered for OS issues with the exception of those no longer under AppleCare still running High Sierra.

Apple will ask you to do a fresh install of your current OS via internet recovery so best to do that before the call to save time.

So, instead of all this nonsense that will not find the actual problem, have Apple call you and see if they can diagnose it.

Yes, if it’s a hardware issue, you won’t be covered. With the Macs I’ve been involved, hasn’t happened yet.

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
And that’s where you are wrong. If it’s a supported MacOS on a Mac that Apple says can run it, then it’s covered.

The support call is free. With OS issues, it has always been.

High Sierra support ended this month except for Macs still under AppleCare. Mojave, Catalina and Big Sur are.

Hackintosh, Macs that require a hack etc. are not eligible. For example, a 2012 Mac Pro running Mojave is but not if running Catalina since that requires a hack.

Since BridgeOS only applies to the T2 chip, all T2 equipped Macs are covered for OS issues with the exception of those no longer under AppleCare still running High Sierra.

Apple will ask you to do a fresh install of your current OS via internet recovery so best to do that before the call to save time.

So, instead of all this nonsense that will not find the actual problem, have Apple call you and see if they can diagnose it.

Yes, if it’s a hardware issue, you won’t be covered. With the Macs I’ve been involved, hasn’t happened yet.
There is no official Apple service in my country. That's why it won't work.

BroncoBear

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2004
Hoping someone could help me out here...

About two months ago I fixed the problem with the Mac Mini 2018 and the constant restarting issue when asleep, I installed Big Sur on an external drive and it did update the firmware and I am no longer having the problem

Here is my current info:
Model Name: Apple T2 Security Chip
Firmware Version: 18P50347c
Boot UUID: D6829700-DBA5-465B-B82E-36315EF3A141

My question is, there any harm and updating this security update that came out on November 12: Security Update 2020-006 High Sierra, Security Update 2020-006 Mojave

I don’t want to do any harm to the computer since it’s working, So I’m not sure what to do

Looking for any advice

Thank you in advance

brandair

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010
Hoping someone could help me out here...

About two months ago I fixed the problem with the Mac Mini 2018 and the constant restarting issue when asleep, I installed Big Sur on an external drive and it did update the firmware and I am no longer having the problem

Here is my current info:
Model Name: Apple T2 Security Chip
Firmware Version: 18P50347c
Boot UUID: D6829700-DBA5-465B-B82E-36315EF3A141

My question is, there any harm and updating this security update that came out on November 12: Security Update 2020-006 High Sierra, Security Update 2020-006 Mojave

I don’t want to do any harm to the computer since it’s working, So I’m not sure what to do

Looking for any advice

Thank you in advance
Updated a week ago and experienced no issues so far. Everything runs great, deep sleep works fine, including the eGPU.

Reactions: BroncoBear

linrey

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
Silicon Valley
Mac mini 2018 - shutdown crashes since early this year. My shutdown crash reports stopped after booting from an external Big Sur drive.

I downloaded the Big Sur installer from Apple, started it up, and when the option at the bottom of the screen said "Show all Disks", I selected my USB-connected flash drive. Once the installation was finished, I restarted the Mini from the new Big Sur external drive. I looked around a while at the interface, then restarted from the Mini - TO A STARTUP CHIME!!! Proof that something had been changed after booting from Big Sur. THEN AND NOW - no shutdown crash reports! It's been a few weeks now and I've performed all of the system updates offered with no ill effects.

Every morning as I start up and hear that chime, I relax because there's no "Report" to send to Apple.

Last edited:

msephton

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom, Europe
Report that Bridge OS 5.0.1 (18P2561) has the Type 210 bug on Mojave?

Can anybody else confirm?

brandair

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010

I had one single panic crash yesterday after an uptime of 11 days. In semi-sleep mode with display sleeping. 2020-006 installed.

Who's gonna sacrifice himself to update to 2020-007? ;)

Reactions: msephton and nkl984

maximumsportz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2008
Alright, just did the update on my 2018 Mac mini. First thing I noticed the startup chime.... I haven't heard that in ages. Controller T2 firmware updated from 17P6610 to 18P3030.

So far running smoothly RAM is on point. Time to test to see when it goes to sleep.

Reactions: msephton

nkl984

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
Alright, just did the update on my 2018 Mac mini. First thing I noticed the startup chime.... I haven't heard that in ages. Controller T2 firmware updated from 17P6610 to 18P3030.

So far running smoothly RAM is on point. Time to test to see when it goes to sleep.
And I have updated to Big Sur 11.1 (20C69) and I have the same firmware - 18P3030 -
So far so good. Will update in a few days if something bad will happen again.

kuramnasmeh

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2020
2020-007 fixed the issue for me. I can use Safari again with no kernel panics. T2 went to 18P3030 from 17P6610. Mac mini 2018 I5. Mojave 10.14.6. And one more thing - some starting sound appeared, that I never heard before.

chromotype

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2020

I don't see an SEP panic in the crash log. It's probably a different bug.

brandair

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010
Will wait over a few days for the 2020-007 update. My T2 firmware version is way ahead with 18P50402b, which was installed via one of the latest Big Sur betas. The b at the end makes me sometimes a little nervous, though ;) The 2020-006 update obviously did not downgrade the firmware.

maximumsportz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2008
So far so good. No more kernel panics. Looks like finally 2020-007 has fixed the problem.

Also a Safari update was pushed out which I installed with no issues.

MacWorld78

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2012
I've got a Mac Mini i5,256gb and 8gb ram, running MacOS - Mojave.

Updated to the latest version 2020-007/Safari. No more crash message after login and new start-up chime :)

what took them so long to fix the issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.