Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

celticbu

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2020
So I'm needing some feedback from you all, as I'm in a dilemma on how to solve the frequent crashes on sleeping with my Mac Mini, with kernel panic type 210 the culprit every time. I've been following this thread for a few months, and am waiting for a bug free fix.

My Mac Mini is on Mojave 10.14.6, and has had security update 2020-004, which does not fix the problem.

Can anyone with a Mac Mini who has installed Security Update 2020-005 with the Supplemental Update tell me if it fixes the kernel panic type 210 crashes?

If it doesn't fix them, the do you all advise me to download the public Big Sur Beta, and update the T2 firmware (I'm on 17P6055 currently), and continue with Mojave. (I have my reasons for not going to Catalina or Big Sur).

Hi all

So a little update on how I solving my recurring kernel panic 210 crashes.

I downloaded the Big Sur Public Beta 9 a while ago, but held off updating, hoping Apple would release an official Mojave update to put this annoying bug to rest. I have been following this thread for months now, so thanks for all the help from others.

I was on 10.14.6 Mojave with T2 firmware 17P6065. I installed Big Sur Public Beta 9 onto a partition on a separate external hard drive over this past weekend. After installing Big Sur, I rebooted into Mojave. The T2 firmware was updated to 18P2561.

So far after about 4 days, there had been NO recurrence of the type 210 crashes. I must have put to sleep my Mac Mini a dozen times or so, and it hasn't skipped a beat on waking, or with anything I normally do - normally there would have been at least one or two crashes already.

So looks like my problem FINALLY solved - if you can get a T2 firmware update to 18P2561, for me at least, it has solved all my problems.

Janeilfen

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2018
I hope I have solved the 210 crashes on my 2018 mini running Catalina. Somebody on here suggested it might have something to do with Safari. I stopped using Safari and now use only Chrome. So far, no more crashes BUT my mini doesn't actually go to sleep, only the screen switches off. I'm holding off Big Sur untill 1 or 2 updates have been applied - just in case.

Reactions: IowaLynn

nostrada

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
I really appreciate your responses. I can now confirm - to no surprise - that the big sur 20a4300b (beta2) does not fix the issue. I haven't a newer beta yet. They all direct to apple's servers and you can't seem to get the old betas from there. If anyone has a hot link . . . I'd love to give it a try.

nostrada

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
Why not turn to your preferred search engine for such a simple question? A quick search yielded:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOSBeta/comments/ic8mnr
... and many more hits. Just ensure that the dl site seems kosher.
My GoogleFu must be an older version. I couldn't find a 3rd party download. Thanks to your link I managed to pull down what I believe is Beta 9. no luck in getting the installation to finish to an external or internal drive. It copies some BridgeOS files over but it still crashes during the install. The smaller progress bar appears briefly, then a blank screen and a bigger progress bar and a few seconds later I am back in Mojave.

I also ran a command I found somewhere
sudo nvram IASUCatalogURL=https://swscan.apple.com/content/ca...n-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

But this doesn't do anything either.

I give up. Maybe at some stage a version will come out that will just work.

Thanks for all of you who helped :)

llihp

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2011
I finally got round to installing 10.14.6 Security Update 2020-006 this morning and to my surprise I has updated the firmware of my Mac Mini to 18P2561 which will hopefully solve the 210 kernel panics I've been having.

I suspected it might have been installed, as the chimes returned after the initial restart (made me jump!).

brandair

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010
My GoogleFu must be an older version. I couldn't find a 3rd party download. Thanks to your link I managed to pull down what I believe is Beta 9. no luck in getting the installation to finish to an external or internal drive. It copies some BridgeOS files over but it still crashes during the install. The smaller progress bar appears briefly, then a blank screen and a bigger progress bar and a few seconds later I am back in Mojave.

I also ran a command I found somewhere
sudo nvram IASUCatalogURL=https://swscan.apple.com/content/ca...n-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

But this doesn't do anything either.

I give up. Maybe at some stage a version will come out that will just work.

Thanks for all of you who helped :)
Did you disable Internet access prior install, as I mentioned earlier? If not, the Big Sur Beta installer will phone home and likely either download the official build or refuse to install the retired Beta.

You must be doing something wrong in the process since almost everybody here managed the T2 firmware update successfully with various Big Sur Betas. Also check/repair your filesystem with Disk Utility and verify that they are all APFS formatted.

maximumsportz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2008
I finally got round to installing 10.14.6 Security Update 2020-006 this morning and to my surprise I has updated the firmware of my Mac Mini to 18P2561 which will hopefully solve the 210 kernel panics I've been having.

I suspected it might have been installed, as the chimes returned after the initial restart (made me jump!).
How did your mini update the firmware? I did the update last week and no firmware update. Mine still says: 17P6610

Reactions: nostrada

nostrada

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
Did you disable Internet access prior install, as I mentioned earlier? If not, the Big Sur Beta installer will phone home and likely either download the official build or refuse to install the retired Beta.

You must be doing something wrong in the process since almost everybody here managed the T2 firmware update successfully with various Big Sur Betas. Also check/repair your filesystem with Disk Utility and verify that they are all APFS formatted.
Booted into recovery
- Disk Utility
-- Erased all partitions and ext disk (APFS)
- Installed Mojave from recovery mode (I have blown through my Broadband download cap by now)
-- setup procedure, apple id, user account

Get Big Sure Beta 9 using a certain script (001-51046 / 20A5384c)
-- No idea if this command is frowned upon or not
- download 12GB

Unplug Ethernet / no wifi

Open InstallAssistant.pkg and follow steps

Launch Big Sur Beta application
- select ext hard drive
- goes for a minutes
- Pops up "An Internet connection is required to install macOS"

- next step? I don't dare to plug the Ethernet back in since it will then phone home.

brandair

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010
Booted into recovery
- Disk Utility
-- Erased all partitions and ext disk (APFS)
- Installed Mojave from recovery mode (I have blown through my Broadband download cap by now)
-- setup procedure, apple id, user account

Get Big Sure Beta 9 using a certain script (001-51046 / 20A5384c)
-- No idea if this command is frowned upon or not
- download 12GB

Unplug Ethernet / no wifi

Open InstallAssistant.pkg and follow steps

Launch Big Sur Beta application
- select ext hard drive
- goes for a minutes
- Pops up "An Internet connection is required to install macOS"

- next step? I don't dare to plug the Ethernet back in since it will then phone home.

Did your download result in a full Big Sur Beta installer with a size of approx. 12+GB and named "Install macOS Big Sur Beta.app"? Does not seem to be the case.

The Internet connection warning should only appear if you are not starting from the full installer, because then of course the effective installer files have to be downloaded first prior install can begin.

nostrada

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to attend to my issues, brandair. I really appreciate it.

I have the full 12GB, I believe. Should I run the MajorOSInfo.pkg?

Attachments

• IMG_20201123_134336.jpg
    IMG_20201123_134336.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20201123_134341.jpg
    IMG_20201123_134341.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 80

brandair

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to attend to my issues, brandair. I really appreciate it.

I have the full 12GB, I believe. Should I run the MajorOSInfo.pkg?

No sweat. Your problem is that yours is not the real installer but only all its parts required to build the installer. So you would need to combine those packages into one installer for which I have no experience with. But here is a howto:

Once you finally have the real Beta installer built, turn off Internet, launch Install macOS Big Sur Beta.app and let it do its things including updating the darn T2 firmware. Once you reach the Big Sur user setup window after multiple restarts you can abandon the install since the firmware update will have been finished some time ago.

Reactions: nostrada

nostrada

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
That is exactly what I did, I followed this guide and this step installed the Big Sur Beta Setup:

4) Open InstallAssistant.pkg

Once installed, running the Big Sur Beta asked for the Internet connection.

I then tried Making Bootable USB off the Downloaded Files - on the same page.

After booting off the media it asked for an update, needing an Internet connection. Once I provided an Ethernet connection it starts with the process bar, and then reboots and it loops back to asking for an update. I never get to the point where it asks me where to install it to.

So I gave up on this.

brandair

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010
So you actually did start the Big Sur install with "Install macOS Big Sur Beta.app" residing in your application folder, or not?

Then, in the "Install macOS Big Sur Beta" setup window you selected an external disk as the install medium and started the installation process?

Because that is what I just tested right now with Internet access disabled (fake LAN). No pop-ups requiring Internet access, the installer just started to install before I aborted the process.

nostrada

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
Yes , yes I did. Many times. External HD - yes.

Then it must be something else. Please do not investigate further on my behalf. I have shut my Mini down and will await word that something has fundamentally changed. This has been the worst screwup since my first Commodore PET 2001 in 1981. Fortunately, this is just a side project and I can totally do without the Mac running. Thank you for your patience!

brandair

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010
Yep, something is not working as intended on your side and I've run out of ideas if you indeed did follow all steps as outlined. Maybe the Mac Mini's (not T2) firmware is not what it ought to be according to the Big Sur installer thus wanting to fetch online?

In any case, good luck! ;)

llihp

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2011
How did your mini update the firmware? I did the update last week and no firmware update. Mine still says: 17P6610
Via system preferences.

I had been prompted to installed updates for a couple of weeks, but my VPN was preventing them being installed overnight when the mini wasn't in use. When I finally got around to it 2 updates were installed, the first of which resulted in the firmware getting updated.

macamedia

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2020

I have the same experience with 007. Finally this security update fixed this longstanding 210 bug, updated the T2 firmware, and my chime returned too.

I never did install Big Sur but I did the Catalina to an external drive in order to update the T2, but that had only updated it to 17xxxxx. Now the security update did it on its own to the 18xxxxx. (Not at computer, unsure of the actual number)

I see today there’s a new update available also but am afraid to rock the boat.

Last edited:

maximumsportz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2008
Confused also. How is everyone getting firmware updates on the current security updates? I’m all updated same bugged firmware. 2018 mini. I7.

Those who got a updated firmware from just a security update are you on Mojave or Catalina ?

macamedia

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2020
I got one and I'm on Mojave. My firmware updated to 18P53017c

It was an 007 beta and today I see there's another one ready now too. Shows in Software Update. Security Update Public Beta 2020-007 10.14.6

This was the first and only sec update that actually changed the firmware. It had gone from 16xxxx to 17xxx something when I had installed Catalina on an external drive. I did not do anything since then except for doing this security update and when I looked at the firmware I saw that it had bumped up to 18P53017c, so it had to be that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.