Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brandair

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010
Any reckless guinea pigs out there having already installed the newest Mojave security update including supplemental patch (sigh...) released today?

Also, yesterday around noon my Mac Mini suddenly started to behave highly erratic. Apps would not launch, Finder was slow as molasses, basically the OS became unusable. I then fired up Onyx which took like 20 minutes, deleted all caches and forced a reboot. Issue solved.

Then, today I read the article at macintouch.com: "Apple remotely disables Macs". WTF, Apple, this is new low. Their OCSP server crashed, which is used to verify developer ID's and the security state of installed apps. The crash more or less took down many of their customer's computers around the globe. Unbelievable. This just shows the state of Apple's out-of-this-world's OS development team, competing for the world's most secure system. While in truth just making live more difficult for any advanced Mac OS X user with enforced over the top security features which only average Joe unwillingly asked for. Californian pipe dreams with worldwide implications. First thing I did after this was to add 127.0.0.1 ocsp.apple.com to my /etc/hosts file to block the trustd process from connecting to OCSP server. I know what I'm installing and how to secure my system, thank you very much Apple. Will report back if blocking trustd will introduce any problems to my running system.

nkl984

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
Any reckless guinea pigs out there having already installed the newest Mojave security update including supplemental patch (sigh...) released today?

Also, yesterday around noon my Mac Mini suddenly started to behave highly erratic. Apps would not launch, Finder was slow as molasses, basically the OS became unusable. I then fired up Onyx which took like 20 minutes, deleted all caches and forced a reboot. Issue solved.

Then, today I read the article at macintouch.com: "Apple remotely disables Macs". WTF, Apple, this is new low. Their OCSP server crashed, which is used to verify developer ID's and the security state of installed apps. The crash more or less took down many of their customer's computers around the globe. Unbelievable. This just shows the state of Apple's out-of-this-world's OS development team, competing for the world's most secure system. While in truth just making live more difficult for any advanced Mac OS X user with enforced over the top security features which only average Joe unwillingly asked for. Californian pipe dreams with worldwide implications. First thing I did after this was to add 127.0.0.1 ocsp.apple.com to my /etc/hosts file to block the trustd process from connecting to OCSP server. I know what I'm installing and how to secure my system, thank you very much Apple. Will report back if blocking trustd will introduce any problems to my running system.
Was the kernel bug_type 210 problem fixed with the Mojave 006 12nov Security update on any Mac Mini or iMac Pro?

pol.beltran

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
Argentina

Yes, I had the same problem. First I thought that it was some process that was colapsing the memory or the last complemental update had a problem, but I call a friend that works on an Authorized Service Provider and he was no idea, so we ran some test and all the hardware was good, so it had to be software. I shut down the mini and reinstall Mojave and then Big to update de T2 Chip and by that time, The OCSP problem was resolved.

The 006 suplemental update NOT resolve my mini kp problem, only install Big Sur and in my case I wait the install to finish but NOT create an account on big sur system, just delete the partition.

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
Hello everyone. I've been following this topic closely since the beginning of the year but wait until the final version of macOS 11 is released. I confirm that I install the system from an external pendrive prepared through the terminal as indicated by the Apple page on a partition of the ssd disk, and I update the T2 chip without problems, there are no problems with boot, rest, etc.

Also I delete the macOS 11 partition after the install and re added the free space to the Mojave partition. Works amazing and fast ?

View attachment 1665211
You actually don’t need to go through all that. MacOS Mojave Sec. Upd. 6 updates the firmware to 18B2561 too so it fixes the problem completely. I bet some Apple engineers have been keeping an eye on this thread too. ;-)

nkl984

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
You actually don’t need to go through all that. MacOS Mojave Sec. Upd. 6 updates the firmware to 18B2561 too so it fixes the problem completely. I bet some Apple engineers have been keeping an eye on this thread too. ;-)
Are you sure the Mojave 006 update fixes the Kernel panic bug_type 210 (Your computer was restarted because of a problem) issue?

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
Are you sure the Mojave 006 update fixes the Kernel panic bug_type 210 (Your computer was restarted because of a problem) issue?
100%

I was surprised by this too so I used Apple configurator 2 to “dowgrade” to the current T2 firmware and it simply reinstalled 18B2516. Looks like The latest updates of Mojave, Catalina and Big Sur now all come with the same firmware.

pol.beltran

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
Argentina
In my case it didn’t. Before installed Big Sur, I installed Mojave from the ground 0 and applied all the updates included 006 and the firmware didn’t change ??‍♂️

pol.beltran

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
Argentina
100%

I was surprised by this too so I used Apple configurator 2 to “dowgrade” to the current T2 firmware and it simply reinstalled 18B2516. Looks like The latest updates of Mojave, Catalina and Big Sur now all come with the same firmware.
If this works then good news! ??

maximumsportz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2008
100%

I haven’t updated yet. But if this is true I will soon! Anyone else can confirm this with 006?

pol.beltran

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
Argentina
Are you using Mac Mini or iMac Pro?
Mac mini (with HyperX memory, fast like hell ?)

Captura de Pantalla 2020-11.jpg

pol.beltran

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
Argentina
Thank you! I’m using iMac Pro but after trying everything I have sent the unit at apple to fix it. Will let you know when I’ll have it returned here.
Good luck! They will fixit, and then you will have the best of Apple running smoothly, Mojave + iMac Pro ✊? such a great team.

Regards!

Reactions: nkl984

mcrinsane

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
Installing SecUpd2020-005, then SecUpd2020-006 and the Supplemental (released Nov 12) and the Safari 14.0.1 updates, RESOLVED the Kernel Panic Bug_type 210 on my MM 2018. The MM previously had 2020-003 which started the whole mess for me. I did the update via Software Update versus downloading the stand alone installer(s), whether that matters. Firmware went from 17P5300 to 18P2561, macOS build after update was 18G6042. Now, zero issues running Safari, sleep, cold restart, etc. At NO time has Catalina or Big Sur install of any build been attempted on this MM. This MM has only seen Mojave since purchase. I was ABOUT to install Big Sur 11.0.1 to an external drive to update the firmware as described on this thread, but thought what do I have to lose by first trying the Mojave updates. As to why it appears to work for some but not others, IDK, possibly there are different hardware versions of the T2? It's strange that some folks running the same updates end up with a different firmware version besides 18P2561. And no idea about other T2 Macs. So anyone out there who is considering the Big Sur 'fix' to update the firmware, on a MMini, I can't see what you have to lose by first trying all the Mojave updates through the last Supplemental PLUS the Safari 14.0.1 update. Even if it doesn't resolvle the kernel panic, you will at least get the security fixes.

nostrada

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
MM 2018 here. Was on Catalina - decided to upgrade to Big Sur. Downloaded the update, ran it, rebooted, didn't work. Since this is my "toy" Mac I reformatted the thing and tried again. It starts the upgrade, 15 min, 14 min, 12 min - Time to "Restart to install Big Sur"

When I restart it the Mac logo comes up and a small progress bar shows up. Then it flips back to a much larger progress bar and it boots up into Mojave and shows that there has been the BAD MAGIC crash.

I then created an external hard drive with the AFPS file system. I run the Big Sur install once more and point it to the external hard drive to install it to. It is my understanding that this would upgrade this darn'ed T2 chip. After a few minutes, it tells me that it needs to reboot. And the same thing happens, and the T2 chip stays on 17P6610 version.

Please forgive my ignorance, I read through this thread and thought I was on the right track. But something is not working as it should, it seems? Can you please enlighten me? Assume no Mac OS experience.

EDIT: softwareupdate --history shows 2020-005 and 006. But so is Big Sur, which is obviously not true.

Attachments

• Untitled copy.png
    Untitled copy.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 138
Last edited:

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Hello everyone. I've been following this topic closely since the beginning of the year but wait until the final version of macOS 11 is released. I confirm that I install the system from an external pendrive prepared through the terminal as indicated by the Apple page on a partition of the ssd disk, and I update the T2 chip without problems, there are no problems with boot, rest, etc.

Also I delete the macOS 11 partition after the install and re added the free space to the Mojave partition. Works amazing and fast ?

View attachment 1665211
Damn, I only have 18P52551s.
I'm jealous.
Need to do the routine again...

Wait, which is newer?
18P2561 or 18P52551s? What a hell is that "s"?

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
Based on several of the more recent posts, I decided to see if the most recent Security Updates would update the T2 firmware — They did NOT.

Begin: 2018 i7 Mini running Mojave 10.14.6 with Security Update 2020-004 and T2 firmware 17P6610

Applied: Security Update 2020-005, Supplemental Update and Safari 14.1.
Result: T2 still 17P6610 and OBTW the Mini crashed starting back up, complaining that it had not been shut down properly :(

Applied: Security Update 2020-006.
Result: macOS 10.14.6 (18G6042), T2 Firmware is still 17P6610. Boot Rom: 1037.147.4.0.0 (iBridge: 17.16.16610.0.0,0)

So applying all of the currently available Mojave Security, Supplemental and Safari Updates DOES NOT ALWAYS update the T2 firmware. :(

GetRealBro

Last edited:

brandair

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010
MM 2018 here. Was on Catalina - decided to upgrade to Big Sur. Downloaded the update, ran it, rebooted, didn't work. Since this is my "toy" Mac I reformatted the thing and tried again. It starts the upgrade, 15 min, 14 min, 12 min - Time to "Restart to install Big Sur"

When I restart it the Mac logo comes up and a small progress bar shows up. Then it flips back to a much larger progress bar and it boots up into Mojave and shows that there has been the BAD MAGIC crash.

I then created an external hard drive with the AFPS file system. I run the Big Sur install once more and point it to the external hard drive to install it to. It is my understanding that this would upgrade this darn'ed T2 chip. After a few minutes, it tells me that it needs to reboot. And the same thing happens, and the T2 chip stays on 17P6610 version.

Please forgive my ignorance, I read through this thread and thought I was on the right track. But something is not working as it should, it seems? Can you please enlighten me? Assume no Mac OS experience.

EDIT: softwareupdate --history shows 2020-005 and 006. But so is Big Sur, which is obviously not true.

That's strange. Did this happen with a Big Sur Beta or official release? Maybe the official release has removed the T2 firmware updater due to unknown reasons.

To recap, you have a running Catalina system and initiated a Big Sur install to an external APFS disk from the running Catalina system. Big Sur installer then rebooted your Mac Mini and did its stuff involving multiple reboots and progress bars. And finally, the install reached the user account setup stage, correct?

howdytom

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2020
I am pleased to confirm that BridgeOS firmware version 18.16.12561 fixes the Kernel panic bug_type 210 on a Mac mini 2018.

Solution:
Installing Big Sur on a separate volumes updates the BridgeOS firmware version 18.16.12561. When you reboot back into Mojave you do no longer experience the error message on cold reboot. After 7 months Apple finally fixed the issue. Apple never replied on any of my Bug Reports.

Note: Installing Security Update 2020-006 on macOS Mojave 10.4.6 does not fix the Kernel panic bug_type 210. You have to install Big Sur on external drive prior going back to your Mojave installation.

nostrada

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
That's strange. Did this happen with a Big Sur Beta or official release? Maybe the official release has removed the T2 firmware updater due to unknown reasons.

To recap, you have a running Catalina system and initiated a Big Sur install to an external APFS disk from the running Catalina system. Big Sur installer then rebooted your Mac Mini and did its stuff involving multiple reboots and progress bars. And finally, the install reached the user account setup stage, correct?
I am not using any Betas. I have Mojave running on the internal drive and when I upgrade to either the internal drive or an external drive it goes through the motions, and then reboots. The apple icon shows up with a small and slow-moving process bar. And then suddenly it switched over to a larger process bar that moves rapidly and I am back in Mojave.

So I decided to install Mojave on an external drive. And then updates to 006 and the recommended suppl. I then downloaded Big Sur for what must have been the 10th time, installed it to the external drive I have booted from. The same thing happens, it does for a few minutes, says it needs to reboot, the smaller progress bar under Apple icon, and then - "swish" - large progress bar, quick startup, and error report about a crash. And the darn'ed T2 hasn't upgraded itself.

Any advice what I am doing wrong? Thanks!

nostrada

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
I am pleased to confirm that BridgeOS firmware version 18.16.12561 fixes the Kernel panic bug_type 210 on a Mac mini 2018.

Solution:
Installing Big Sur on a separate volumes updates the BridgeOS firmware version 18.16.12561. When you reboot back into Mojave you do no longer experience the error message on cold reboot. After 7 months Apple finally fixed the issue. Apple never replied on any of my Bug Reports.

Note: Installing Security Update 2020-006 on macOS Mojave 10.4.6 does not fix the Kernel panic bug_type 210. You have to install Big Sur on external drive prior going back to your Mojave installation.
Is there any trick to this? I tried installing Big Sur to an external drive and the installation just crashes. Please tell me there is a magic button I am supposed to click . . .

brandair

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010
I am not using any Betas. I have Mojave running on the internal drive and when I upgrade to either the internal drive or an external drive it goes through the motions, and then reboots. The apple icon shows up with a small and slow-moving process bar. And then suddenly it switched over to a larger process bar that moves rapidly and I am back in Mojave.

So I decided to install Mojave on an external drive. And then updates to 006 and the recommended suppl. I then downloaded Big Sur for what must have been the 10th time, installed it to the external drive I have booted from. The same thing happens, it does for a few minutes, says it needs to reboot, the smaller progress bar under Apple icon, and then - "swish" - large progress bar, quick startup, and error report about a crash. And the darn'ed T2 hasn't upgraded itself.

Any advice what I am doing wrong? Thanks!

The only reason I can think off right now is that the official Big Sur build does not update the T2 firmware anymore. Hence, try getting hold of a Big Sur Beta installer, disable Internet connection, and install to an external, freshly erased APFS disk. Maybe also clear the PRAM in prior. This has worked for all of us.

Reactions: nostrada

msephton

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom, Europe
I just installed Mojave 10.14.6 Security Update 2020-006 and it made no difference to me being on 18P50347c (Installed 7 August 2020; Big Sur dp 4 or pb 1?). Maybe it only upgrades the original Mac mini Bridge OS firmware?

Sadly, I don't have any suitable modern machine that could host an Apple Configurator 2 bridgeOS downgrade to see if that takes me to the current release of bridgeOS.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.