Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lasthenia

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2020
Just updated to Beta 8 (firmwareversion:18P50380a) and while the boot delay is gone, making new user profiles in Mojave seems to be corrupted now. (apparently that is also controlled by the T2 chip..) Now after creating a new user it does not appear in the left pane and in the login window. When trying to create another user with the same name it tells me that name is already in use.. Anyone else with this problem?

Apple just released a supplemental update for Mojave supposedly to fix the user account creation bug among others. I have installed it with no problems.

Last edited:

Lasthenia

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2020
Tested a new user creation on Mojave with T2 revision 18P50347c just now and experienced no such problems. For me, this T2 revision works perfectly, hence no intention to risk anything with newer T2 revisions from Big Sur.

Have also used the earlier Big Sur beta install to update the T2 firmware to 18P50347c. No sign of the kernel panic bug since! This T2 version delays startup but is otherwise working fine. I have also reported this to AppleCare.

Colstan

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2020
I was running the firmware from Big Sur Beta 5 that had the long boot delay. Since then, I've updated to the Beta 8 firmware to 18P50380a and the boot delay is gone. My Mac mini still remains crash free.

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
Forgot to post an update last week but it's been running fine now since the latest supplemental update. To prevent from crashing during sleep I installed the Big Sur Beta 9 firmware again which has been running fine too.

The only problem I'm running into now is that my Mac mini doesn't have a working Recovery Partition.
When I try to boot into Recovery Partition it automatically tries to load up Internet Recovery but then it ends up giving me error message #2003. Anyone else experiencing this?

celticbu

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2020
So I'm needing some feedback from you all, as I'm in a dilemma on how to solve the frequent crashes on sleeping with my Mac Mini, with kernel panic type 210 the culprit every time. I've been following this thread for a few months, and am waiting for a bug free fix.

My Mac Mini is on Mojave 10.14.6, and has had security update 2020-004, which does not fix the problem.

Can anyone with a Mac Mini who has installed Security Update 2020-005 with the Supplemental Update tell me if it fixes the kernel panic type 210 crashes?

If it doesn't fix them, the do you all advise me to download the public Big Sur Beta, and update the T2 firmware (I'm on 17P6055 currently), and continue with Mojave. (I have my reasons for not going to Catalina or Big Sur).

Colstan

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2020
If it doesn't fix them, the do you all advise me to download the public Big Sur Beta, and update the T2 firmware (I'm on 17P6055 currently), and continue with Mojave. (I have my reasons for not going to Catalina or Big Sur).

I installed the Big Sur beta on an external hard drive back in August. That was beta 5, I've since installed beta 8, which eliminates the boot delay. To my knowledge, installing the Big Sur firmware is currently the only fix for this issue, other than switching to a different browser. (I used Firefox for a while before trying the Big Sur firmware.)

If you decide to install Big Sur, then keep in mind that it is still in beta, which includes the firmware. You may want to wait for an official release before doing so. It depends on how much risk you are willing to take. Also, if you do decide to install Big Sur on an external drive, you won't actually have to boot into Big Sur to get the firmware update; it does the update before attempting to boot macOS.

I sympathize with anyone experiencing this issue, but I can say that, at least in my case, the Big Sur firmware has worked well with my Mac mini running Mojave. I can only speak for myself, but I've been running it this way for two months and haven't experienced a single issue with it.

Reactions: msephton

LogicalVue

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2007
USA (Maine)
Here's another data point to add to the pile. My 2018 Mac mini has been mostly reliable with just an odd "hang" when logging in after rebooting (UI frozen for about 30 seconds, although mouse moves around). Last week I applied the Mojave Security and Supplemental Updates and the Safari 14 updates. For the next several days my Mac mini would crash when the display went to sleep (I do not sleep the Mac mini itself) with the error everyone else has noted here. The "hang" on reboot/login also remained.

Based on feedback in this thread I went ahead and upgraded to Catalina. This totally solved the crashing and the hang at login after reboot. I initially had a problem with audio being all crackly and garbled in some apps, but reseting the SMC seems to have solved that.

I have not yet applied the Safari 14 update (still a little nervous about that TBH), but so far things are working much better. And looking at the iStat Menu temp display, the Mac mini seems to be running slightly cooler as well.

Reactions: iAssimilated

macamedia

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2020
I can confirm this.
I had high hopes for it, but it didn't fix mine.

The only time I don't get the 210 crashes is if I don't use Safari at all that day (from startup to shutdown). Once I use Safari, even just one time during that period, I will get the crashes. That was true for Safari 13 and 14.

fazalmajid

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2020
London
I can confirm this.

Sadly my experience is the opposite.

After doing the Big Sur beta upgrade of my 2018 Mac mini T2 and weeks of no 210 crashes, I had the poor sense to install 2020-005 (with supplemental update) and it has started again. My T2 firmware is Bridge OS 5.0 (18P50358b). Typical symptoms are loss of network connectivity, followed by a panic about 5-10 minutes later.

@Hessel89, what BridgeOS version do you have? I wonder if I should try the DFU + Configurator 2 restore technique to roll back to whatever BridgeOS was included with the 2020-005 supplemental update.

roastable

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2020

After doing the Big Sur beta upgrade of my 2018 Mac mini T2 and weeks of no 210 crashes, I had the poor sense to install 2020-005 (with supplemental update) and it has started again. My T2 firmware is Bridge OS 5.0 (18P50358b). Typical symptoms are loss of network connectivity, followed by a panic about 5-10 minutes later.

@Hessel89, what BridgeOS version do you have? I wonder if I should try the DFU + Configurator 2 restore technique to roll back to whatever BridgeOS was included with the 2020-005 supplemental update.

Is it not possible to reinstall Big Sur to regain the working firmware for the T2 chip? Or is the firmware version from the beta “older” than the 005 update and thus not able to be installed?

I’ve got a Mac mini arriving Monday so I cannot test it myself :(.

Last edited:

brandair

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010
That's a bummer and clearly reflects what Apple's focus and attitude today is.

I had updated the T2 chip of both my MBP 2018 and Mac Mini 2018 from the Big Sur Beta (T2 18P50347c), and only updated the MBP with Safari, Mojave Security Update 2020-005, plus the supplemental update last week. Glad I postponed the Mac Mini update. The MBP seems stable but was hardly tested nor used so far, though. The Mac Mini i7 is operating better than ever - deep sleeps when I want, runs cool, no OS crashes, etc. Guess I will stay with Mojave 10.14.6 till I move on to newer OS X or CPU platform.

fazalmajid

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2020
London
Is it not possible to reinstall Big Sur to regain the working firmware for the T2 chip? Or is the firmware version from the beta “older” than the 005 update and thus not able to be installed?

I haven't tried, but I think 5.0 is the Big Sur version of BridgeOS, I don't think the Mojave 2020-005 security upgrade rolled it back, but it is clearly having compatibility issues with the Big Sur version. Given Apple's abysmal QA, I suspect it will work just as badly with the official Mojave BridgeOS version, but there is a glimmer of hope, which is why I am asking those who have a stable setup which version of BridgeOS they have.

You can downgrade BridgeOS 5.0 because it is still a beta version. It requires two Macs, and a fairly scary procedure using Device Firmware Upgrade mode, the other Mac running Apple Configurator 2.2 to initiate the downgrade.

Reactions: roastable

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
I haven't tried, but I think 5.0 is the Big Sur version of BridgeOS, I don't think the Mojave 2020-005 security upgrade rolled it back, but it is clearly having compatibility issues with the Big Sur version. Given Apple's abysmal QA, I suspect it will work just as badly with the official Mojave BridgeOS version, but there is a glimmer of hope, which is why I am asking those who have a stable setup which version of BridgeOS they have.

You can downgrade BridgeOS 5.0 because it is still a beta version. It requires two Macs, and a fairly scary procedure using Device Firmware Upgrade mode, the other Mac running Apple Configurator 2.2 to initiate the downgrade.
Like this:
?
And it erases the internal ssd?

roastable

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2020

My Mac mini just arrived today and I downgraded it to Mojave then updated to 2020-005. The dreaded panic persisted throughout all of this. I then installed Big Sur beta 9 and all seems to be well. So far haven’t experienced any compatibility issues but it’s still quite early.

BridgeOS firmware version is 18P50402b.

Yes, so I'd rather not do it unless proven to work. There is supposedly a less destructive "Revive" option.

I tried both Revive and Restore on a brand new Mac mini a few weeks ago and I can tell you that neither solved the problems in Mojave. I was told by Apple that it’d be quicker to return it within the two week window and re-order in case it really was a hardware defect (they didn’t even turn on my machine in the Apple Store!), but that was before I found this thread’s results with Big Sur.

In your case with the weird compatibility issues, it may at least restore a “clean” version of the buggy stock firmware that you could then overwrite again with Big Sur. If this is how Security Updates are going to have to be handled, I may just never update again.

Last edited:

msephton

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom, Europe
I'm on Mojave with 2020-05 and Supplement

Bridge OS 18P50347c
(Installed 7 August 2020; Big Sur dp 4 or pb 1?)

All is well. No crashes.

I use Safari and sleep my Mac mini multiple times a day. No 210 crashes like I had before doing the "Big Sur Beta Bridge OS fix".

Last edited:

msephton

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom, Europe
Can anyone with a Mac Mini who has installed Security Update 2020-005 with the Supplemental Update tell me if it fixes the kernel panic type 210 crashes?
I can confirm this.
@fazalmajid I think this is confusing red herring because @Hessel89 previously said they were running Big Sur Beta Bridge OS and hasn't specified how they went from that to any lower version they may have come with 2020-05?
To prevent from crashing during sleep I installed the Big Sur Beta 9 firmware again which has been running fine too.
So the only fix is still the Big Sur Beta Bridge OS.

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
@fazalmajid I think this is confusing red herring because @Hessel89 previously said they were running Big Sur Beta Bridge OS and hasn't specified how they went from that to any lower version they may have come with 2020-05?

So the only fix is still the Big Sur Beta Bridge OS.

I did not specify because it was said earlier in this thread but here you go:

Step 1: Have another Thunderbolt 3 enabled Mac. (I will refer to this as your ''host Mac'' from now on)
Step 2: Install and open Apple Configurator 2 on your host Mac.
Step 3: Turn off Mac mini and remove power cable.
Step 4: On your Mac mini, insert a USB C cable on the TB3 port next to the HDMI port and connect it to your host Mac.
Step 5: Push the powerbutton of your Mac mini while inserting the power cable. Keep the power button pressed for 5 seconds.
Step 6: If Step 5 went successfully, Apple Configurator 2 on your host Mac will show your device.
Step 7: In Apple Configurator 2, click Action --> Advanced --> Revise Device.
This will download the latest non-beta BridgeOS for your Mac mini and then install it. Your Mac mini will reboot and you're done.
Step 8: To confirm your firmware is downgraded, click ''about this Mac'' --> System Report --> Controller on your Mac mini. It will now show the latest BridgeOS (4.6 at the time of writing) that comes with Mojave & Catalina.

Disclaimer 1: This is your own risk.

Disclaimer 2: If you're reading this after Big Sur has officially released this info is obsolete. BridgeOS on Mojave & Catalina will probably upgrade to 5.x by then anyway. (regardless of your OS)

msephton

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom, Europe
@Hessel89 you misunderstand me. I'm not saying it cannot be done, but looking for clarification.

in #329 Oct 6, you say you installed Big Sur Beta Bridge OS to prevent the type 210 crashes
in #330 Oct 7, a question is asked if "Security Update 2020-005 with the Supplemental Update fixes the kernel panic type 210 crashes"

By this I understand the Question to mean "does Security Update 2020-05 plus Supplemental Update alone solve the type 210 crashes without Big Sur Beta Bridge OS Fix"

in #333 Oct 16, you say "i can confirm this"

Yet, nobody else has been able to confirm that Security Update 2020-05 alone fixes the problem.

So I think more a detailed answer is needed.

Did you between Oct 7 and Oct 13 downgrade your Mac mini using the steps you outlined, and witnessed the type 210 crashes afterwards? Then did install Security Update 2020-005 with the Supplemental Update, and afterwards not see the crashes? And of course not doing the Big Sur Beta Bridge OS fix during this period.

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
@Hessel89 you misunderstand me. I'm not saying it cannot be done, but looking for clarification.

in #329 Oct 6, you say you installed Big Sur Beta Bridge OS to prevent the type 210 crashes
in #330 Oct 7, a question is asked if "Security Update 2020-005 with the Supplemental Update fixes the kernel panic type 210 crashes"

By this I understand the Question to mean "does Security Update 2020-05 plus Supplemental Update alone solve the type 210 crashes without Big Sur Beta Bridge OS Fix"

in #333 Oct 16, you say "i can confirm this"

Yet, nobody else has been able to confirm that Security Update 2020-05 alone fixes the problem.

So I think more a detailed answer is needed.

Did you between Oct 7 and Oct 13 downgrade your Mac mini using the steps you outlined, and witnessed the type 210 crashes afterwards? Then did install Security Update 2020-005 with the Supplemental Update, and afterwards not see the crashes? And of course not doing the Big Sur Beta Bridge OS fix during this period.

I thought you meant the opposite. But I can 100% confirm that updating to SU 005 alone does not fix the problem. I know because I downgraded to BridgeOS 4.6 before updating to 005.

After that I did the Beta Bridge OS fix and the problem was gone again.

Reactions: msephton

nkl984

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
Hello everyone,
since installing the Mojave Security Update 2020-002 I do get a message that my Mac Mini 2018 was restarted because of a problem even I shut it down normally. The Mac Mini 2018 was running fine for 3 months. The Apple Hardware Check does not show any errors. Also tried to reset SMC and PRAM.

Is this a known bug? Just curios wether Mac mini 2018 users who also installed Apple's Security Update 2020-002 do see the same error message?

The Diagnostic Report reads as follows:

Code:
{"caused_by":"bridgeos","macos_system_state":"shutdown","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 4.4 (17P4263)","timestamp":"2020-03-28 22:10:39.00 +0000","incident_id":"907CAD79-9364-4588-A25A-3810D0E72F8F"}
{
  "build" : "Bridge OS 4.4 (17P4263)",
  "product" : "iBridge2,5",
  "kernel" : "Darwin Kernel Version 19.4.0: Mon Mar  2 20:38:56 PST 2020; root:xnu-6153.101.6~2\/RELEASE_ARM64_T8010",
  "incident" : "907CAD79-9364-4588-A25A-3810D0E72F8F",
  "crashReporterKey" : "c0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0de0001",

Update April 11, 2020: I did some further testing regarding my initial issue. I have restored from a previous system backup using SuperDuper. This backup clone does NOT include the Security Update 2020-002 Mojave and Safari 13.1. Surprisingly the shutdown message still shows up sporadically when I power on the Mac mini. I have completely shut down my Mac mini 2018 around 10 times. I have waited 5-10 minutes. 4 of 10 times the crash report showed up. It's really difficult to debug. What's interesting is the macOS Mojave Software Update does not show the Security Update 2020-002. So it seems to be already applied. I guess it is definitely related to the T2 BridgeOS Update or other firmware settings which have been patched during the Security Update 2020-002. Restoring from a 4 weeks old system backup does not resolved my issue

Update April 24, 2020:

Workaround: As user @wywh pointed out, do not use Safari until Apple fixes the bug. I have set the default browser to Firefox and the shutdown message no longer shows upon a cold boot.
Hi there!
I have the same problem after updating the last version of mojave & safari 14 on my imac pro 2 days ago. Any solution? Thanks

nkl984

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
I have the exact same issue. Only shows when I power on from cold, otherwise the Mac works fine.

When I installed 2020-002 my Mac never came back from the restart sequence. I had to reset SMC to get the screen back. The errors appear since then.

My Mac is a stock i5 6 core, 256GB SSD, except I have installed 32GB of RAM.

i hope Apple fix this!

Wayne
Hello! I have the same exact problem on my iMac Pro after updating to last version of mojave 2 days ago. I tried everything and still same problem. Any advice please?

nkl984

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
Can add my machine to the list also. Had held off on updates for a bit and just did the Safari 13.1 and Security Update 2020-002 the other night. Come back to my Mac mini 2018 to find the "Your computer was restarted because of a problem." window. Used the computer as I normally would for a while and didn't notice any other issues. Shut it down and then cold started the next day and sure enough there was the error message again. I have found that the Safari issue does make the problem disappear on my machine. If I do not open Safari the whole session, shut down and cold start I will not get the crash report. I also performed the process described above by mikehalloran. This unfortunately did not do anything for me and still the only way to not get the crash report is to not open Safari. So for now I am using Chrome, and I submitted a lengthy note to Apple on the macOS feedback form. I figured the more feedback they get on it the better, because this is far from a solution. Safari is my preferred browser and although this works for the time being I don't think it's acceptable to have to switch from the native Apple browser just to make our machines run as intended. My machine ran perfect prior to this.
Hi! Same problem here with the last mojave update and safari 14 on imac pro. Any advice please?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.