Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
I had been holding off installing the Security Updates 2020-002, 003, & 004 until there was consensus on a “cure” for he reported kernel panics, etc… Recent posts indicate that the T2 firmware which is installed with the Big Sur Beta seems to fix these reported problems. So i downloaded the most recent Big Sur Beta, with plans to install it. BUT…

At least 3 different T2 Firmware version have been reported to have fixed the following member’s problems...
casperghst42 - 17P56063a?
008dp - 18P50347c
Hassel89 - 18P50310o
fullflavor - 18P50347c
kabaldan - 18P50380a
mindaz - 18P50347c

Which begs the question… Are the various versions of T2 firmware being installed with the Big Sur Beta “safe” for those of us who plan on running Mojave for the foreseeable future?

GetRealBro

p.s. Please correct me if I have made errors in the "Member - T2 firmware version" list.

macamedia

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2020
Which begs the question… Are the various versions of T2 firmware being installed with the Big Sur Beta “safe” for those of us who plan on running Mojave for the foreseeable future?

I have wondered that myself, because obviously this firmware upgrade was not meant for Mojave otherwise it would have been given to us in some update. I intend to stay on Mojave for now.

They must know about this by now, yet nothing. There was another security update 005 that I installed but it still didn't fix the issue.

kabaldan

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2020
After the Big Sur Beta 7 upgrade (currently only available in the developers' channel), the long delay between the press of the power button and the actual boot is gone. Mojave desktop appears in less than 30s after the press now. Was about 60s before while the last installation was Big Sur Beta 5.
T2 firmware is 18P50380a after the update.
Just a little update:
Developer Beta 8 and Public Beta 4 (build 20A5374i) come with the same T2 firmware 18P50380a as Developer Beta 7 (build 20A5374g), so they both can be used as well to get rid of the 30s pre-boot delay introduced by the T2 firmware versions from previous Big Sur Beta releases.

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
Just updated to Beta 8 (firmwareversion:18P50380a) and while the boot delay is gone, making new user profiles in Mojave seems to be corrupted now. (apparently that is also controlled by the T2 chip..) Now after creating a new user it does not appear in the left pane and in the login window. When trying to create another user with the same name it tells me that name is already in use.. Anyone else with this problem?

brandair

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010
Tested a new user creation on Mojave with T2 revision 18P50347c just now and experienced no such problems. For me, this T2 revision works perfectly, hence no intention to risk anything with newer T2 revisions from Big Sur.

Just updated to Beta 8 (firmwareversion:18P50380a) and while the boot delay is gone, making new user profiles in Mojave seems to be corrupted now. (apparently that is also controlled by the T2 chip..) Now after creating a new user it does not appear in the left pane and in the login window. When trying to create another user with the same name it tells me that name is already in use.. Anyone else with this problem?

Reactions: msephton

msephton

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom, Europe
I read that Apple Configurator 2 now includes a way to downgrade from a beta T2 Bridge OS version to a production version. Maybe this could be useful somehow.

I'm on T2 firmware 18P50347c which was the result of my only Big Sur Beta install.

I don't notice any boot delay because my Mac mini is on 24/7, sleeping overnight and rebooted once every Monday morning. So I'll be sticking with this setup... "if it ain't broken"

Last edited:
Reactions: getrealbro

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
I have wondered that myself, because obviously this firmware upgrade was not meant for Mojave otherwise it would have been given to us in some update. I intend to stay on Mojave for now.

They must know about this by now, yet nothing. There was another security update 005 that I installed but it still didn't fix the issue.
Apple has released a new Mojave Security Update 2020-005 (1.67 GB in size) and it includes a
FirmwareUpdate.pkg
How will that work on a 2020 Mac Mini updated to a Big Sur beta firmware?

Last edited:

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
Apple has released a new Mojave Security Update 2020-005 (1.67 GB in size) and it includes a
FirmwareUpdate.pkg
How will that work on a 2929 Mac Mini updated to a Big Sur beta firmware?

I, for one, would be interested to know what version of firmware this Mojave update is applying and if it helps peoples issues. Granted, all those who installed the Big Sur Beta(s) to get a newer firmware might not be the best ones to test this.

EDIT

OK, I was curious, so I applied the update. Mojave went from 18G6020 to 18G6032 and the T2 firmware went from 17P6065 to 17P6610. I have not had the issues other people have had because I do not shutdown my mini everyday or put it to sleep or have my monitors go to sleep or care that my mini boots up without an Apple logo while using my eGPU... so do with this information what you will. I hope it helps someone.

Last edited:

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
I recently installed Security Update 2020 -004 (skipping 002 and 003). My T2 firmware is now 17P6610.

FWIW I’ve never had any of the problems described in this thread. But until a few days ago I’ve been running Mojave w/Security Update 2020-001 on my 2018 i7 Mac Mini, which runs 24/7 and I almost never use Safari. I do have the 3 external 8TB hard disks spin down and both monitors sleep after 30 min of inactivity.

GetRealBro

chromotype

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2020
I just installed Mojave Security Update 2020-005 on my mac mini 2018, and I'm seeing a very large increase in memory usage. This is also being reported by other users in this thread. You might want to wait a bit before installing this upgrade to see if this is an issue affecting most (all?) Mojave users.

Last edited:
Reactions: getrealbro

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
OK, I was curious, so I applied the update. Mojave went from 18G6020 to 18G6032 and the T2 firmware went from 17P6065 to 17P6610. I have not had the issues other people have had because I do not shutdown my mini everyday or put it to sleep or have my monitors go to sleep or care that my mini boots up without an Apple logo while using my eGPU... so do with this information what you will. I hope it helps someone.

I understand you normally don't do this but could you try putting your Mac Mini to sleep to see what happens? Let us know please. Thank you.

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
@getrealbro as stated in the OP, the problem was only introduced with Security Update 2020-002...
I know. That's why I posted that I had skipped both the 002 and 003 security updates.

I understand you normally don't do this but could you try putting your Mac Mini to sleep to see what happens? Let us know please. Thank you.
I just put my 2018 i7 Mini to sleep twice with no ill effects :) I previously had applied Security Update 2020-004 which changed my T2 Firmware to 17P6610. FWIW i had several apps running at the time but NOT Safari.

GetRealBro

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
I know. That's why I posted that I had skipped both the 002 and 003 security updates.

I just put my 2018 i7 Mini to sleep twice with no ill effects :) I previously had applied Security Update 2020-004 which changed my T2 Firmware to 17P6610. FWIW i had several apps running at the time but NOT Safari.

GetRealBro

Great, can you try with Safari?

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
Great, can you try with Safari?
Done!

I switched to Safari and loaded this page then put my 2018 i7 Mini to sleep twice with no problems. So it may be safe to get back in the water and install Security Update 2020-004. But remember I never installed Security Update 002 or 003, which may or may not make a difference.

GetReal Bro

Edit: Or maybe not. See post #319. :(
Edit 2: DEFINITELY NOT!

Last edited:

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
I just installed Mojave Security Update 2020-005 on my mac mini 2018, and I'm seeing a very large increase in memory usage. This is also being reported by other users in this thread. You might want to wait a bit before installing this upgrade to see if this is an issue affecting most (all?) Mojave users.
Thanks for the heads up.

I’m running SU 2020-004 and the Activity Monitor shows memory used pretty normal for my 2018 i7 Mini — 16GB used out of 32GB installed — with 0 compressed memory, 0 swap. and very low “memory Pressure”.

FWIW the top 2 apps — Google Earth Pro and a kernel task — are using 4.5GB of the 16 GB of the used real memory being reported.

GetRealBro

Last edited:

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
@iAssimilated are you getting Catalina nags? I purposefully blocked the recent security updates that introduced the Catalina nag and removed the ability to block updates.

Just the "1 update" next to System Preferences in the :apple: menu and the red dot notification on Software Update in System Preferences. Other than that, no nagging for the Catalina upgrade. I have learned to ignore those though.

I can do that (if you still need me to) once I get home tonight.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Just the "1 update" next to System Preferences in the :apple: menu and the red dot notification on Software Update in System Preferences. Other than that, no nagging for the Catalina upgrade. I have learned to ignore those though.

I can do that (if you still need me to) once I get home tonight.
Have you tried;
1) QUIT System Preferences
2) in terminal run:
sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina"
--ignore the resultant message
3) in terminal run:
defaults delete com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate LatestMajorOSSeenByUserBundleIdentifier
4) in terminal run:
softwareupdate --list
or
defaults delete com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs; killall Dock
or
defaults delete com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate LatestMajorOSSeenByUserBundleIdentifier && softwareupdate --list

For me, the badge disappeared immediately after step 4

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW

Alright, gave it a shot:
  • Put my mini to sleep, double tapped the space bar and the mini came back up without issue.
  • Open Safari, put my mini to sleep, double tapped the space bar and the mini came back up without issue.
  • Closed Safari, put my mini to sleep, went to grab a beer, came back to the login screen, logged in and was presented with a "your system didn't shutdown properly" error message with a Bridge OS error report. :(
Apparently my system still has the issue people are reporting in this thread. FWIW, I installed all security updates once they were released.

Have you tried;
1) QUIT System Preferences
2) in terminal run:
sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina"
--ignore the resultant message
3) in terminal run:
defaults delete com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate LatestMajorOSSeenByUserBundleIdentifier
4) in terminal run:
softwareupdate --list
or
defaults delete com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs; killall Dock
or
defaults delete com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate LatestMajorOSSeenByUserBundleIdentifier && softwareupdate --list

For me, the badge disappeared immediately after step 4

No, but it really isn't too big of a deal for me. I don't keep System Preferences in my dock so I rarely see the notification. Although @msephton might like to try this.

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
I read that Apple Configurator 2 now includes a way to downgrade from a beta T2 Bridge OS version to a production version. ...
That’s interesting. Could you post some details of where you read this.

FWIW I want to keep the flexibility of running an older macOS until the new macOS is really stable. So I’ve decided to not install ANY macOS Betas, on our T2 Macs, until I’m sure that I can revert the changes to the T2 firmware to the production version for the previous macOS.

GetRealBro

Edit: The Mr. Macintosh site has detailed instructions on how to….
Restore BridgeOS on a T2 Mac + Boot a Mac to DFU Mode
and Downgrade T2 BridgeOS Beta to a Production Version
The site also includes a list of the "Current Apple Supported OS Releases"
which includes T2 BridgeOS 17.16.16610. This is the T2 BridgeOS version that was installed by the Mojave Security Update 2020-0004 on my 2018 i7 Mini.

GetRealBro

Last edited:

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
Alright, gave it a shot
  • Put my mini to sleep, double tapped the space bar and the mini came back up without issue.
  • Open Safari, put my mini to sleep, double tapped the space bar and the mini came back up without issue.
  • Closed Safari, put my mini to sleep, went to grab a beer, came back to the login screen, logged in and was presented with a "your system didn't shutdown properly" error message with a Bridge OS error report. :(
Apparently my system still has the issue people are reporting in this thread. FWIW, I installed all security updates once they were released....
Running Mojave 10.14.6 w/ Security Update 2020-0004 (T2 Firmware 17P6610) on my 2018 i7 Mini…
I have replicated the crash reported by iAssimilated with one difference. My Mini doesn’t require a password, so it restarted on its own after the crash and put up this dialog.

Crash Dialog.png

My Mini tried to reload everything as it was before the crash. But several apps were in a semi-zombi state, only partially functioning. After I restarted my Mini, things seem to be OK.

FWW this bug is only a nuisance for me because my Mini is kept running 24/7 (for network/system monitoring, etc.) and I almost never use Safari. So hopefully there aren’t any other issues. Apple has released 3 Mojave security updates since the problematic 002 without fixing this issue. It really makes me wonder if Apple is purposely encouraging/coercing upgrading to Catalina. :(

GetRealBro

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
Alright, gave it a shot:
Apparently my system still has the issue people are reporting in this thread.

hmm :(

Exactly the same thing still happens with mine. Also did SU-005 on a fresh Mojave install..

Personally I will be returning my Mac Mini to Apple this Saturday for the third time..
They said they might do another motherboard and PSU swap if needed but I'm not keeping my hopes up this time..
Would've been a lot less headache for all parties if Apple just did a refund but I guess they're too knuckleheaded to admit their fault.

brandair

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010
Returning your Mac Mini for the third time because of software bugs? These crashes are not hardware related so what do you hope to gain? I can understand if you have enough of your Mac Mini and want your money back, but else?

hmm :(

Exactly the same thing still happens with mine. Also did SU-005 on a fresh Mojave install..

Personally I will be returning my Mac Mini to Apple this Saturday for the third time..
They said they might do another motherboard and PSU swap if needed but I'm not keeping my hopes up this time..
Would've been a lot less headache for all parties if Apple just did a refund but I guess they're too knuckleheaded to admit their fault.

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
Returning your Mac Mini for the third time because of software bugs? These crashes are not hardware related so what do you hope to gain? I can understand if you have enough of your Mac Mini and want your money back, but else?

I frankly don't care anymore wether this caused by hardware or software/firmware. The fact is that this computer has been unusable for me since march this year. Come Oktober and they still have not fixed it.
I can't sell this damn thing either because most buyers I've come across plan to use it with Mojave as well. And I've had some great offers. I will simply not sell a device that is essentially broken. (when used with Mojave) That's why I want my money back from APPLE.

Last edited:
Reactions: brandair

Green242

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2020
I did a second install of the Big Sur beta a few weeks ago on an external drive and have since given up on it since my system does not recognize the Big Sur container to easily reboot, so Im not sure which version of the beta I used.

That install put T2 firmware version 18P50370a, the prior version was 18P50347c from the 1st Big Sur Beta.
17P4263 was the version that was giving me the bug type 210 error messages before the Big Sur beta install.

The current version has a 6 second delay before the system starts to boot in Mojave and I have not noticed any issues other than if I leave any finder windows open on shutdown or restart they reopen on the 2nd monitor on a restart or startup then the screen goes dark for a few seconds and they move to the main screen they were originally on and both screens come back to normal.

I am running 10.14.6 and uncheck the "check for software updates" box.

I had been holding off installing the Security Updates 2020-002, 003, & 004 until there was consensus on a “cure” for he reported kernel panics, etc… Recent posts indicate that the T2 firmware which is installed with the Big Sur Beta seems to fix these reported problems. So i downloaded the most recent Big Sur Beta, with plans to install it. BUT…

At least 3 different T2 Firmware version have been reported to have fixed the following member’s problems...
casperghst42 - 17P56063a?
008dp - 18P50347c
Hassel89 - 18P50310o
fullflavor - 18P50347c
kabaldan - 18P50380a
mindaz - 18P50347c

GetRealBro

p.s. Please correct me if I have made errors in the "Member - T2 firmware version" list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.