Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fullflavor

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2020
Now after several weeks with no T2 sleep-crash-reboot problems (did not use Safari or Chrome anymore) it happened again yesterday after connecting a SSD with fotos (formated mac OS Extended journaled )via USB and the mini went to sleep and rebooted immediately. So its not only the problem with Safari it has something to do with the USB Ports (both usb-c as well) with T2: 17P6065. The only good working products , to earn money with, from Apple are the stocks.

Last edited:

brandair

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010
Bummer, is this happening with the Big Sur Beta T2 firmware update or with older firmware?

Safari never played part in my sleep crashes as I seldom use it. So far, everything has been solid after the T2 firmware update at my end. Sleep works better than ever with my external TB drives. No USB problems with my numerous devices including USB disks.

Now after several weeks with no T2 sleep-crash-reboot problems (did not use Safari or Chrome anymore) it happened again yesterday after connecting a SSD with fotos (formated mac OS Extended journaled )via USB and the mini went to sleep and rebooted immediately. So its not only the problem with Safari it has something to do with the USB Ports (both usb-c as well). The only good working products , to earn money with, from Apple are the stocks.

fullflavor

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2020
I have also "pseudo-updated" to Big Sur on an external USB-Stick (you need min 64 GB, 32GB did not work and installer complained) and after rebooting the Mac Mini complained that i have disabled the posibility to boot from an external Drive. So i did not care and removed the stick and booted like before my Mojave from the internal SSD and the T2-Bios was upgradet to 18P50347c.
I immedeately erased the Stick and all the downloaded artefacts from Big Sur because i need a Mac that can handle my expensiv software for the next years. Security Updates in future will no longer activated by me until Apple supports also the older OS with security-Patches that work and will not act like BIOS-viruses. In the Future i will only buy software which has licences for Mac and Win10 together to be prepared to switch the Hardware.
Concerning Boot-Time: is about 40 sec. which is no problem for me. Thanks a lot to the Users that found out the trick that Apple wont tell.

Reactions: toke lahti

brandair

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010
Well, should not have replied to this thread because I just had the Mac Mini crash on me. LOL ,) This happened while exporting 900 TIFF's from Capture One RAW converter, so must be iGPU related rather than T2. Anyhow, Apple's QC has worsened a lot under Cook's leadership, who has taken the penny-pinching of suppliers and customers to a whole new level.

Addendum: running the latest Mojave version due to 32bit dependency for certain apps. Also, Catalina seems to be more unstable and offers not much benefits for me to upgrade.

Last edited:

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Have had my 2018 Mini for two months now and use it heavily, including hours at a time running a powerful GIS application on Windows with Parallels. Am still on Catalina 10.15.4 that shipped with the Mini, after reading lots of reports about problems with 10.15.6, I decided to skip that update.

I have not had a single crash all this time, not even with Windows in the VM. This has actually surprised me, as a Mac user since 1985, this computer is shaping up as the most reliable yet. Of course, that could all change in an instant, but so far I'm not seeing any problems with Apple's quality control. Sorry that so many others are having problems.

One thing that might be different for me, I have my Mini set to never sleep although the display sleeps after an hour. This is how I've set all my Mini's (two 2012's and two 2014's). Doesn't seem like they use all that much power with the screen off, and I just shut down completely when I'm done for the day.

crazeazn

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2009
One thing that might be different for me, I have my Mini set to never sleep although the display sleeps after an hour. This is how I've set all my Mini's (two 2012's and two 2014's). Doesn't seem like they use all that much power with the screen off, and I just shut down completely when I'm done for the day.

I tried that but no avail. Two crashes today. So my theory of using my mouse and keyboard via the Unifying receiver is not an issue either. I guess I should just switch over to corded for a bit to see if its the culprit.

brandair

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010
In Energy settings I have only "Prevent computer from sleeping..." and "Start up automatically..." checked. When finished working at day's end I put the Mini to sleep via Apple menu - a 'hard sleep' which also puts all drives to sleep and consumes minimal energy. This hard sleep was causing the crashes with the latest Mojave security update but now works perfectly.

To crazeazn: if you did reset PRAM and SMC, do you have the latest firmware/driver installed for the Logitech device? Did you test your setup with a different user login? My experience with external devices is that cables matter, hence try different cables. I rarely use BT devices and have BT turned off, so can't comment on how reliable it works.

Reactions: crazeazn

crazeazn

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2009
In Energy settings I have only "Prevent computer from sleeping..." and "Start up automatically..." checked. When finished working at day's end I put the Mini to sleep via Apple menu - a 'hard sleep' which also puts all drives to sleep and consumes minimal energy. This hard sleep was causing the crashes with the latest Mojave security update but now works perfectly.

To crazeazn: if you did reset PRAM and SMC, do you have the latest firmware/driver installed for the Logitech device? Did you test your setup with a different user login? My experience with external devices is that cables matter, hence try different cables. I rarely use BT devices and have BT turned off, so can't comment on how reliable it works.

ATM have no external devices with cables save for the monitors.

Looks like my logitech keyboard had an update! I never knew it needed it. Lets hope this works!

Last edited:

macamedia

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2020
It seems that the installation of Big Sur beta on an external drive has fixed it for our Mac mini (2018).
No kernel panics after shutdown since friday (when we tested Big Sur), still running Mojave as the main OS, using Safari.
We've been getting the panics (only during shutdown as sleep is disabled here) regularly since the Mojave Security Update 2020-002.

Edit: T2 firmware has been updated by the Big Sur installation to 18P50310o.
The version from the last panic for us has been 17P56045a (which has been probably last updated by a Catalina installation also on external drive).
So the fix may come from the Big Sur T2 firmware update.

I've been having the bridgeOS kernel panic problem ever since installing the security updates 002, 003, 004. I shut down the 2018 Mini at night and every morning at boot up I get the message that the computer was restarted because of a problem:

{"caused_by":"bridgeos","macos_system_state":"shutdown","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 4.6 (17P6065)"...

Will this Big Sur installation onto an external drive fix this without issue to my still running Mojave on my internal SSD? I still need to be running Mojave but don't want to jeopardize anything else on there. Once I boot I get that message but the rest of the day it runs fine. It's just very annoying and I don't know if it's doing any harm to the machine crashing like that every single day. I don't have any issue with Safari or any crashes during the day.

Thanks.

brandair

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010
By the many positive replies it should be clear by now that the Big Sur T2 firmware does indeed fix these inexcusable Apple T2 bugs, whether Mojave or Catalina is the OS utilized. Just make sure you install Big Sur Beta on an external drive.

Green242

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2020
Thank you to whomever found the fix and posted it. I had waited a few months after the culprit update came out to install on My 2018 i7 32gb Mac mini. I didn't notice it at first as I had spleep tuned off. One night while shutting down I saw the error message on the screen, it was hiding behind some open finder windows. I tried a number of fixes until I found this thread, none of them worked. I never had the restart issue as my mini didn't sleep. just the bug reports.

I first set up a clone of my HD on an external drive then updated the internal drive to Catilana. That fixed the 210 bug issue but I lost the use all my 32 bit apps on the internal drive as expected. I liked some of the Catilina features but wanted to go back to Mojave and had the bug issue when booting from the external drive.

Last week I downloaded the public Big Sur beta and tried to install it from a flash drive onto a 2nd flash drive. I got to a black screen with a picture of a lock and a file below it. I used my T2 password to get beyond that. The mini may have restarted at some point and installed the newer firmware? The next screen request looked as if it wanted to install on my internal drive, but I did not want that so I forced a restart after I could not find any other options. When the system restarted into Catilina the T2 firmware was updated to 18P50347c.

I then erased Catilina from the internal drive and reinstalled a fresh copy of Mojave and transferred my files, settings ect....from a Time Machine backup. They system is running fine without the 210 kernel bug reports.

I have since done this on a second 2020 Mini that came with Catilana installed and now is running Mojave just fine, ands the same T2 firmware 18P50347c.

macamedia

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2020
Last week I downloaded the public Big Sur beta and tried to install it from a flash drive onto a 2nd flash drive. I got to a black screen with a picture of a lock and a file below it. I used my T2 password to get beyond that. The mini may have restarted at some point and installed the newer firmware?

Does this mean at some point I will have wished I had assigned a T2 password? I never did that, is it important?

Green242

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2020
Does this mean at some point I will have wished I had assigned a T2 password? I never did that, is it important?

Not sure if you need to have a T2 password, think I needed to assign one when I changed the security setting to allow for an external drive to boot up. If you change it make sure you remoember it and write it down. I read that if you forget it and want to change the settings you will need to take the Mac back to an Apple store and provide the original receipt to get it rese

If you haven't set a password you still can.

Carlenforce

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2020
I bought a Mac Mini 2018 about a week ago and right off the bat had an error message everytime I booted it up.
If I didn't use Safari the error message did not show but I use Safari on all my devices and switching from it would just be a hassle.

I never put my computer to sleep, I do mostly audio production and having the computer go to sleep is not good when you have an open project since it also cuts the connection to my external AD-DA converter.
I did however try and put the computer to sleep just to see what happens and like all other here, it restarted and the error message occurd.

I also once got problems waking the screen with the 90's white noise picture as a result.

Reading and following this thread I decided to try the "Big Sur Hack". Found an old spinning drive and stuck it in an enclosure and started installing on it.
Being home alone with the kids I couldn't watch it closely, so when I went to have a look the computer had shut itself off.

Pressed the power button and was met with the "circle with a line" and then it shut itself off again, the panic started to grow. I unplugged the external drive and tried again, this time the Apple logo showed up and then the computer shut itself off again, now I'm really panicking.

I went a third time and the Apple logo shows up, I wait and wait and then I got the infamous "bong" and the OS started loading (thank the maker!), I log in and there's no error message. Turned the computer off again and booted up, (the boot sequence did take longer then before) logged in and no error message.

This seems to have "healed" the computer, my firmware for the T2 is now 18P50358b.

Bugs like this is why I switched from Wintels, I have now turned off all updates as I intend to stay on Mojave for as long as possible.

Thanks to everybody in this thread!

macamedia

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2020
Are you by chance still using 32bit (audio) plugins? Has the new firmware update interfered at all with them working? I'm staying on Mojave for a few of those plugins.

Carlenforce

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2020
Are you by chance still using 32bit (audio) plugins? Has the new firmware update interfered at all with them working? I'm staying on Mojave for a few of those plugins.

Yes iam but havent checked if they work properly, i took for granted they work.
Ill get back to you.

EDIT: I haven't checked every plugin in the library but my latest session had everything working.

Last edited:

TETENAL

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2014
My Mac mini has been running fine in Mojave after the Big Sur T2 update for about a week. So yesterday I dared to turn on PowerNap again, and today the mini was not able to wake up the screen after sleeping (it appeared to be already running). I had to force a reboot.

Let's hope this was only a one off.

macamedia

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2020
EDIT: the shutdown bug is back 8/25/20 after several days. Below is my original post:

I did the T2 Catalina update (installing Catalina on an external drive) as step one toward Big Sur. What I noticed was that the shutdown bug 210 is now gone. What replaced it though was that sleep would trigger the same kind of bug/message of restart only this time it would say ‘sleep’ instead of ‘shutdown’ in the report. That hadn’t happened to me previously; I had only been getting the shutdown issue after having installed those security updates in Mojave every morning after booting up and logging in.

So I went into Energy saver and turned sleep off, and now I get no messages.

EDIT 8/25/20: except for now, it's back.

Last edited:

radical1

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2020
i registered here just to report what i figured out about this mess, with thanks to others for all the collective trouble-shooting. i've tried every suggestion on this thread and others, to deal with panics and inability of the mini to sleep. i even installed the Big Sur beta on a separate container on my internal ssd. (did not work.) i've been talking to Apple support for many weeks.

i use an APC uninterruptible power supply, which most of my system uses for protected power. in desperation, i started swapping all the power plugs and outlets on the UPS. (other people have reported success with switching to alternative power outlets, which gave me the idea.) surprisingly, a particular combination of plugs and outlets allowed my system to sleep!

at that point, i figured that my UPS might be faulty, or was in conflict with the mini. or that there was some issue about what external devices shut down first, or that some kind of power surges were restarting devices and interrupting the sleep process.

here's the kicker. like an idiot, i decided to install the latest security update. what a glutton for punishment. i thought it would be okay, since i "knew" the problem was with my incoming voltage. but after i did the update, my mini could no longer sleep. again! i consider this to be (another) proof that the security updates cause the issues we are having.

i shut my computer down, turned off the UPS using the power button, waited a minute, and turned it back on. my computer sleeps again!

the lesson here, at least for me, is that the power management system of the mini is very finicky. probably because of the T2 chip. the security updates further mess up the power management of external devices, causing them to restart just as they begin to go to sleep. playing around with the power sources for my mini and my external devices allowed me to balance things out somehow, and get my mini functioning again. but only until the next security update....

your mileage may vary. i hope this helps some of you

Last edited:

Carlenforce

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2020
I did the T2 Catalina update (installing Catalina on an external drive) as step one toward Big Sur. What I noticed was that the shutdown bug 210 is now gone. What replaced it though was that sleep would trigger the same kind of bug/message of restart only this time it would say ‘sleep’ instead of ‘shutdown’ in the report. That hadn’t happened to me previously; I had only been getting the shutdown issue after having installed those security updates in Mojave every morning after booting up and logging in.

So I went into Energy saver and turned sleep off, and now I get no messages.

With the Big Sur update sleep now works without having this issue, that’s the finding?

First off, I never installed Catalina anywhere, I went straight for Big Sur on an external drive still on Mojave.

I turned on everything in the power settings meny today and put the computer to rest.
When I tried waking the computer the screen was totally black, I used VNC client on my phone and started a Remote Desktop and there I could see the computer was operating.

I restarted the machine but still no screen, I then turned it off completely and cold started.
After awhile the screen turned on and I had no error message so the sleep functionality works except that the screen is black so not very useful.
For me this is not a problem because I never use the sleep function anyway.

The App I used to use and see the computer on my iPhone https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mocha-vnc-lite/id284984448

macamedia

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2020
Has anyone actually had their logic board replaced? I read that thread mentioned here, about bad T2 chips, if that's true. Just curious.

brandair

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2010
I think I had this monitor wake problem sometimes with my former NEC PA272W early in the Mojave releases. It disappeared later after one of the OS updates and a firmware update of the monitor. Not sure anymore which one actually solved the problem since I now use the newer NEC PA271Q via DisplayPort to Thunderbolt adapter. From various reports it seems that the Mac Mini's HDMI port can be problematic under certain conditions. DisplayPort via USB Type-C has been rock solid for me. I use good quality cables.

First off, I never installed Catalina anywhere, I went straight for Big Sur on an external drive still on Mojave.

I turned on everything in the power settings meny today and put the computer to rest.
When I tried waking the computer the screen was totally black, I used VNC client on my phone and started a Remote Desktop and there I could see the computer was operating.

I restarted the machine but still no screen, I then turned it off completely and cold started.
After awhile the screen turned on and I had no error message so the sleep functionality works except that the screen is black so not very useful.
For me this is not a problem because I never use the sleep function anyway.

The App I used to use and see the computer on my iPhone https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mocha-vnc-lite/id284984448

Carlenforce

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2020
I think I had this monitor wake problem sometimes with my former NEC PA272W early in the Mojave releases. It disappeared later after one of the OS updates and a firmware update of the monitor. Not sure anymore which one actually solved the problem since I now use the newer NEC PA271Q via DisplayPort to Thunderbolt adapter. From various reports it seems that the Mac Mini's HDMI port can be problematic under certain conditions. DisplayPort via USB Type-C has been rock solid for me. I use good quality cables.

Alright. I use the cheapest 27" Monitor I could find :)
What dongle do you use?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.