Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
There is also a beta Security Update available for Mojave - which does not update the T2 FW version, mine is still 17P56063a. I do not know if that will fix the reboot problem. I will do some testing tomorrow to see. Otherwise I try the Big Sur option.

Let us know, I think that's the more accessible option. For Big Sur you have to install Catalina first. For now @kabaldan's solution works the best!

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Is everybody with Mojave, still with T2-firmware 17P5290?

And if just for fun, I install Catalina to a external drive and run all of its updates, my T2-firmware will get updated?

And this does not make Mojave to act any worse and maybe it cures the safari-sleep-boot problem?

Last edited:

Nymunariya

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2020
Germany
It seems that the installation of Big Sur beta on an external drive has fixed it for our Mac mini (2018).
No kernel panics after shutdown since friday (when we tested Big Sur), still running Mojave as the main OS, using Safari.
We've been getting the panics (only during shutdown as sleep is disabled here) regularly since the Mojave Security Update 2020-002.

Edit: T2 firmware has been updated by the Big Sur installation to 18P50310o.
The version from the last panic for us has been 17P56045a (which has been probably last updated by a Catalina installation also on external drive).
So the fix may come from the Big Sur T2 firmware update.

That's it. I randomly decided to install the Big Sur beta 1 the day after WWDC, and it's been smooth sailing since.

Edit: it seems as if my corrupted display issue (unplugging/swapping displays occasionally giving 90s tv static) is also fixed.

Last edited:

Nymunariya

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2020
Germany
Hi guys, I haven’t updated my mini, still on Mojave and running smooth thankfully i skipped the update that started the panics, is the problem anywhere fixed yet? Should i update to catalina?

There is no need as such and I wouldn’t want to risk a perfectly fine machine with an update.

I don't know if Catalina fixes the problem, but one solution has been updating the T2 (Bridge OS) version to 18P50310o from the Big Sur Beta1. If you're using APFS (if you're on Mojave, you should be), just make a new container in Disk Utility for Big Sur and install the beta to the container. Beta1 updated the T2 chip, Beta 2 should? That way you can keep using Mojave and don't have to sacrifice your 32bit apps or depend on the overhead of virtualisation.

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
Is everybody with Mojave, still with T2-firmware 17P5290?

And if just for fun, I install Catalina to a external drive and run all of its updates, my T2-firmware will get updated?

And this does not make Mojave to act any worse and maybe it cures the safari-sleep-boot problem?

Nope Catalina and Mojave both share the same firmware. But my Mini is now on Firmwareversion: 18P50310o, (BridgeOS 5.0) because I installed Big Sur on an external drive. It's been running smooth ever since. *knocks on giant pile of wood* :)

casperghst42

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Let us know, I think that's the more accessible option. For Big Sur you have to install Catalina first. For now @kabaldan's solution works the best!

It did not change a thing, almost immediately after it entered sleep it rebooted.

Looks like Big Sur is the way to go - if I only could download the beta, looks like it's not available in the German App Store.

casperghst42

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
It did not change a thing, almost immediately after it entered sleep it rebooted.

Looks like Big Sur is the way to go - if I only could download the beta, looks like it's not available in the German App Store.

Got Big Sur installed with the instructions from mrmacintosh.com, but my FW version is still: 18P50310o - I guess it's not for everyone this trick works.

Is there a manual way to install / update the FW if there was an issue with the installation?

Nymunariya

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2020
Germany
Can someone please post the procedure for installing Big Sur on an external drive. I want to stick with Mojave for now.

It's super simple. The hardest part is getting a copy of Bug Sur, but now that it's in public beta, it should be easier to get. Once you've downloaded it, it's just like installing a macOS update. Once you run the app, it'll install itself into a partition (container?) on your internal SSD and boot up from it. There, you have a few options. You can:

1. update your current macOS install (getting rid of Mojave, which you don't want)
2. erase a partition/container and make a clean install of Big Sur <-- if you just want to install to an external drive, just plug in your drive and erase that drive.

But, if before you install Big Sur, you go into Disk Utility and create a "container" (think partition, but it shares the same free space with your Mojave install, that way you don't have to worry about allocating too much or too little space as you would with a partition) and call that Big Sur.

Then, when you run the installer, you can install to the Big Sur container, which will leave your Mojave install alone, and you can go back to Mojave afterwards. Then, if you don't want to bother with Big Sur, you can just delete the container, no extra drive needed. Or you can just leave Big Sur and check it out later. That's what I did.

Edit: you may need to install Catalina first, in order to install Big Sur. I may have done that ...
[automerge]1594716065[/automerge]
Got Big Sur installed with the instructions from mrmacintosh.com, but my FW version is still: 18P50310o

That's the updated T2 version! Previously in Mojave I was on version 18G5033.

Last edited:

maximumsportz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2008
I've been following this thread as my mini was having the same sleep issue. I just updated to the new security update 2020 004 10.14.6. Before the update my T2 firmware was "17P5290" after update it is now "17P6065"

Also Safari got an update also.

Let's see if it still crashes I'll let it sit for a bit and test it. Anyone else updated to the new security update and notice a change?

TETENAL

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2014
There has been a new Security Update today, and unfortunately this issue has not been fixed for me. ?

This problem bugs me so much, that I'm contemplating a new Mac Pro with Pro Display XDR as replacement. Does anybody know whether Mojave can be installed on the Mac Pro?

kuramnasmeh

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2020
I've been following this thread as my mini was having the same sleep issue. I just updated to the new security update 2020 004 10.14.6. Before the update my T2 firmware was "17P5290" after update it is now "17P6065"

Also Safari got an update also.

Let's see if it still crashes I'll let it sit for a bit and test it. Anyone else updated to the new security update and notice a change?

It still crashes after using Safari. Regarding another posts it should be gone after installing BridgeOS 5.0.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Nope Catalina and Mojave both share the same firmware. But my Mini is now on Firmwareversion: 18P50310o, (BridgeOS 5.0) because I installed Big Sur on an external drive. It's been running smooth ever since. *knocks on giant pile of wood* :)
I'm really looking forward that some group of hacking wizards will port Mojave's ability to run 32-bit apps to Big Sur!
Anybody heard anything like that anywhere?
[automerge]1594898399[/automerge]
Hmm,
I've installed sec.upd 2020-002 and my T2fw is 17P5290.

I thought that I've applied 003 also, but the fw version hints otherwise?
Or does it skip the fw update if the SIP is disabled?
And then the same with 004?

(I'm also hoping that these updates would fix the tb3 handshaking issue with my monitor, which cuts the audio to my monitor's gorgeous loudspeakers after first sleep after cold-boot. And I won't back down from energy saving issues, even if "The master of green", Apple tells me to.)

Last edited:

kuramnasmeh

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2020
I've installed sec.upd 2020-002 and my T2fw is 17P5290.

I thought that I've applied 003 also, but the fw version hints otherwise?
Or does it skip the fw update if the SIP is disabled?
And then the same with 004?
After 2020-003 it was 17P5290, after 2020-004 it is 17P6065. I hope, after Big Sur official release, we finally got BridgeOS 5.0 on Mojave.

howdytom

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2020
Security Update 2020-004 DOES NOT resolve my original issue.

The bug has STILL NOT been fixed on macOS Mojave 10.4.6. On cold reboot "Your system was restarted because of a problem" message still shows up. No status update on Apple Bug Report. I am kind of surprise on how Apple seems to ignore Mac mini users. They messed up the T2 chip BridgeOS and simply don't care. I guess this bug will never be fixed. Users should rather invest in a new Mac mini model with their latests Apple processor. I am not willing to spent more money on any Mac mini.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I guess this bug will never be fixed. Users should rather invest in a new Mac mini model with their latests Apple processor.

I thought that Catalina did not have this bug? I've been using my new 2018 Mini with Catalina heavily for almost a month and have not yet seen a single crash.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I did understand that. My point was simply that you don't need to "invest in a new Mini" if an upgrade to Catalina fixes the problem. But I can appreciate that there are reasons why you might not want to upgrade, so I'm sure this is frustrating.

fullflavor

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2020
Hi Everybody
I Am new here and have registred here to share my problems with my mac mini 2018 with Mojave 10.14.6.
I have been the luckiest guy with my old mac mini (mid 2011) for almost 8 years up to last year december when it refused to start and Apple told me, that this model is out of service and there are no replacement parts available anymore. result: total damage . So a defective motherboard forced me to invest in a new Mac mini (2018 modell) with mojave on it. BTW it took me almost a week to transfer with the migration assistent the old 2.5" ssd to the new soldered-in ssd (worst idea a engineer can have i.e. because of data privacy in case of service or selling the mac ) until everything from my old mac running with sierra works on mojave.
I can´t "upgrade" to catalina because i use a lot of software that is not running on 64bit or has to be replaced for several hundreds of Dollar.

I have the same problems with automatic restart after wake up like you after installing Security Update 2020-002 and 2020-004 . I switched from chrome browser to firefox and stopped using safari. in energy settings i have deactivated all boxes. This way the problem is nearly solved. Only my Monitor (HDMI) sometimes refuses to wake up after hitting the space bar although i am waiting nearly 15 sec until the picture shows up (my old mini needed one second, like my MB air 2013 with sierra).

I need one special financial testing-program, that is only available for windows that i am running in virtualbox under win10, which works fine without errors since years. In this software i do a lot of programming, backtesting and monte carlo simulations running sometimes several days in a row (millions of simulations). You can imagine that it was not funny, when you wait for an result and you find in the morning a fresh rebootet virtual machine with a not started windows and no software running anymore; hours or days of work wiped out.

Although i like the products from Apple (IOS and OS) i have to earn my money on reliable hardware, so i ordered yesterday a HP-Notebook only for this one program running on win10 (amibroker) because my bills have to be paid and i can´t wait several months until cupertino is willing to fix this T2-Bios Bug (or better: T2-desaster). This is cheaper in summary than experimenting with catalina and buying a lot of expensive upgrades for 64 bit. (i use i.e. camtasia 2, eye-tv for external USB sat-receiver, niks-collection (last working on sierra), truecrypt (last working on sierra), scrivener 2.8 (last working on sierra), scanner/printer driver for Canon MX870 (not available for catalina) and lots more. Here in germany this problem gets more and more known and a lot of friends or business partners try now to buy used Macbooks and minis to avoid having contaminated hardware with T2 Chips.

If someone frome apple is reading here: Your products are not only bought by fan-boys/girls or design-freaks - there are also users that need reliability (i switched from pc to mac because of timemachine, no viruses and robust hardware (?) with designated OS) when working with computers as tools.

008dp

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2020
After 2020-003 it was 17P5290, after 2020-004 it is 17P6065. I hope, after Big Sur official release, we finally got BridgeOS 5.0 on Mojave.

Just to add my experience to what others have posted here, I'm running a 2018 i5 Mac mini with Mojave, and have been experiencing the same shutdown issue when the computer tries to sleep after Safari has been used.

My T2 controller was running firmware 17P4263 when I first began encountering the issue a couple of months ago, which I presume came from security update 2020-002 earlier in the year. I don't normally use Safari on my Mac mini as it's normally not connected to the internet, which is why I only encountered the issue recently.

Anyway, yesterday I tried applying security update 2020-004 which took T2 firmware to 17P6065, but the shutdowns were still occurring when I'd open Safari and then sleep the machine.

Overnight, I've installed Big Sur Beta 4 onto an external drive, and as part of that installation the T2 firmware has been bumped to version 18P50347c. I can no longer get the mini to exhibit the issue, so add me to the list of those who believe this newer firmware to have corrected the issue.

Edit: it seems as if my corrupted display issue (unplugging/swapping displays occasionally giving 90s tv static) is also fixed.

I'm using an old 23" Apple Cinema HD Display over HDMI (via an Apple DVI-HDMI adapter) with the mini. I get the 'corrupted display' static issue each time I startup, and have to unplug/replug the monitor into the mini's HDMI port each time I start the system. This hasn't changed with the new T2 firmware that came with the Big Sur installation, unfortunately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.