Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
So for, Catalina has been stable for me for Logic and music Apps. Regarding your Virus, are you using it over a USB connection with a specific driver? If so could you not hook it up via Midi/Audio with a supported USB Midi Interface instead?

Yes. I use my Virus TI over USB and it uses a proprietary driver. The TI in Virus TI stands for Total Integration which lets you control your Virus thru a VST or AU plugin interface. The problem is that this whole interface was built around Apple's HAL plugin standard, which they dropped with Catalina. Of course I can control the synth via midi (like a normal synth) but then I don't have the plugin functionality, kinda defeats the purpose. (it works great with automation in LPX) Since almost all of my projects from 2012 to 2020 utilize the Virus ran through the plugin (yes, I use it ALOT) I wouldn't be able to open those.. I do agree *most* audio apps work fine with Catalina, I wish I could upgrade already. (although LPX 10.5 has again created it's own set of problems.. such as support for multi out plugins)

Last edited:

Lasthenia

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2020
Hi, I registered just to be able to respond here...

Just got off the phone with AppleCare (Australia). I was escalated almost immediately from basic support when I called to report this "Your computer was restarted because of a problem." bug.

Anyway, the important points of my call were:

1. Apple is aware of this bug but Apple engineers are NOT actively doing anything about it.

2. Support person found an internal technical bulletin from some time back that basically said the solution was to upgrade to Catalina. I made it very clear that upgrading to Catalina was not an option for me since I needed to use 32-bit legacy software.

3. Support person has never heard of this problem but is now aware of it and will escalate it along with all the information he gathered from searching various forums. He promised to update me on any progress made.

From a link supplied by the support person, I uploaded the usual kernel panic reports which we can all reproduce on demand just with a cold boot and using Safari. All the kernel panic reports automatically generated apparently goes unread to some Apple server.

So, as someone has mentioned earlier, we must make an effort to contact AppleCare (if we can) if we ever want to see a solution to this bug. It wasn't too much trouble as Apple Support called me as soon as I clicked on the AppleCare link to me call back.

Thank you and keep safe.

PS I did feedback that I did several clean installs of Mojave and applied the most recent security update to no avail.

Last edited:

Diego Vasquez

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2020
Ecuador
I have 2 questions.

1. Does the upgrade to Catalina solve the problem?
2. Does everyone experience unexpected reboots, are they using the mac or not?

howdytom

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2020
I have installed Security Update 2020-003. The bug has NOT been fixed on macOS Mojave 10.4.6. On cold reboot "Your system was restarted because of a problem" message still shows up. No status update on Apple Bug Report. Mac Mini users do not seem be relevant for Apple. Such a disappointment.

Reactions: What?Say,What?

Diego Vasquez

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2020
Ecuador
Has anyone else on this forum experienced that when they browse or open some software, the Mac mini slows down and the mouse is lagging?
I have experienced that problem since it was updated in Mojave to 2020-002. I gave up and updated Catalina, but I still have the same problem.
My mac mini is 2018 Core i7 3.2 GHz (6 cores), 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, 500 GB SSD. Magic Mouse 2 (black).

Last edited:

What?Say,What?

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
My experience:
After Safari 13.1 + 2020-002 Sec Update (applied at same time). I had reboots during:
Leaving Mac mini 2018 running with Safari Open
Leaving Mac running with Safari Closed
Reboots during sleep
Reboots if set to never sleep.

"Solution": Reinstall 10.14.6 from previously made thumb drive (long before 2020-002 Sec Update published).
Then run this line in Terminal:

sudo /usr/sbin/softwareupdate --ignore "Security Update 2020-002"

Now SW update won't ask me about that update...But, I DID reinstall Safari 13.1 update, because I was at 12.x after the os reinstall, and had a lot going on in safari that I didn't want to lose.

I also did: sudo /usr/sbin/softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina"
super awesome results there! Highly recommended if intending to stay on Mojave... of course now we have this annoyance that is conveniently migrating people away from 32 bit apps and their super productive "legacy" lifestyles that Apple is determined the expunge from this earth...

This same format works for other updates too. To stop ignoring those updates:
sudo /usr/sbin/softwareupdate --reset-ignored

---------
UPDATE: See this: https://www.macrumors.com/2020/05/28/macos-ignore-software-updates/
to remove the badge even after updates are ignored, and all this:
apparently they've deprecated the --ignore flag for major system + OS updates... sigh... so, if you update to Catalina latest service release 10.15.5, OR on Mojave and update to Sec update 2020-003, this will get you...
--------

I of course did all the normal maintenance stuff, run cocktail, zap pram, reset smc, play nice, etc.

I just rebooted right now, and when I logged in I got the message of KP. Even though reboot process appeared to go okay, but can't be certain it wasn't slower than usual etc... I reinstalled this bug a couple days after I got it and stumbled on this to confirm it was the 2020 sec update. Also saw that people were saying a Firmware update was rolled into this, which can't be rolled back by the end user on these "T2" chipped systems.

I have come back to this thread to see if 2020-003 Update + Safari 13.1.1 updates have solved the problem. We have at least one report here above that says the -003 update didn't fix it.

As of right now, I don't have time to mess with this, so I'm not updating to -003 + Saf 13.1.1

I'd be interested to know of results with a sample size greater than 1 for people who haven't tried rolling back the sec updates yet.

---------
UPDATE EDIT June 1st: if I manually put my system to sleep, it now reboots instead......... automatic sleep using energy saver preferences doesn't seem to do it again, yet...
---------

Thank you to those reporting to apple, even if getting sh*t responses.

I would expect no less from Apple at this point.

I too am in the same boat, with still a couple HIGHLY necessary 32 bit programs...

So, cloning our drives before updates can't always solve issues like this! Because the FW gets "secretly" updated too! I didn't see any obvious information that the FW was being updated with -002. Does anyone know where this might be visible so NEXT time we can all think twice about doing such an update until the bleeding edge people have verified it's not gonna screw us over after supporting apple for 30+ years? Insert unkind things here.

Last edited:

eugene marie

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2020
I have a 2018 Mac Mini running Mojave and started getting the kernel panics ({"caused_by":"bridgeos","macos_system_state":"shutdown","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 4.4 (17P4263)") on May 24, 2020. I called AppleCare twice about this. They had me do various things including resetting the VRAM, starting in safe mode, creating a guest account without some of the software. I didn't get the kernel panics after they suggested something and I restarted the computer. However I continued to get the kernel panic after doing a cold reboot --- every morning. They told me that the only thing left to do was to reinstall Mojave or go to Catalina. I gave up on AppleCare and started reading the discussions boards. I read this forum with great interest and decided to abandon Safari. I did a couple of Security Updates and Safari Updates over the last several weeks and people suggested this caused the problems. I am writing to happily report that I haven't had a single kernel panic since I left Safari. I removed it from my Dock and chose Firefox as my default browser. For now, this is my solution. I will call back AppleCare and report the problem to them. My partner just called them. She had exactly the same problem on her 2018 Mac Mini running Mojave after the latest Security and Safari updates. She too has abandoned Safari and no more kernel panics. Thank you fellow readers of this forum.

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
I am writing to happily report that I haven't had a single kernel panic since I left Safari. I removed it from my Dock and chose Firefox as my default browser. For now, this is my solution. I will call back AppleCare and report the problem to them. My partner just called them. She had exactly the same problem on her 2018 Mac Mini running Mojave after the latest Security and Safari updates. She too has abandoned Safari and no more kernel panics. Thank you fellow readers of this forum.

Yeah it's weird right? No safari, no crashes..

Reactions: eugene marie

marclondon

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2009
London
I have the sleep problem - Mini just crashes and reboots. I've now noticed that I can't shut it down from Shut Down - it seems to shut off but then reboots. I can shut it down by holding in the power button.

Running Mojave. i7 2018 Mini.

casperghst42

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
I have the sleep problem - Mini just crashes and reboots. I've now noticed that I can't shut it down from Shut Down - it seems to shut off but then reboots. I can shut it down by holding in the power button.

Running Mojave. i7 2018 Mini.

Same here, Mojave 10.14.6 - this happens when it sleeps. I can't see if it happens during power nap, as the last crash occured hours after it was supposed to goto sleep.

For now I've disabled power nap to see if that helps.

Reactions: toke lahti

casperghst42

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Same here, Mojave 10.14.6 - this happens when it sleeps. I can't see if it happens during power nap, as the last crash occured hours after it was supposed to goto sleep.

For now I've disabled power nap to see if that helps.

Disabling power nap was not enough, I then disabled "Turn display off after", enabled "Prevent computer from sleeping automatic...." and since then I've not seen the "reboot" problem.

marclondon

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2009
London
Disabling power nap was not enough, I then disabled "Turn display off after", enabled "Prevent computer from sleeping automatic...." and since then I've not seen the "reboot" problem.

Thanks for that - I already have those settings except for disabling power nap so I'll try that.

TomM1

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2017
This crash and resart after sleep thing just now started happening to me (Mojave).
I read through this thread and was about to upgrade to Catalina.
But decided to stop using Safari and reluctantly switched to Chrome.
Till yet, this issue is gone.
I will report back if the problem returns.
BTW all my energy saver boxes are unchecked.

casperghst42

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
This crash and resart after sleep thing just now started happening to me (Mojave).
I read through this thread and was about to upgrade to Catalina.
But decided to stop using Safari and reluctantly switched to Chrome.
Till yet, this issue is gone.
I will report back if the problem returns.
BTW all my energy saver boxes are unchecked.

It has solved my crash problem, but it still hangs. When it has been staning over night I am not able ot get it to activate the monitor - keyboard and mouse does work. Connecting to it (ssh) and rebooting it does not accomplish anything. A hard 'off' / 'on' is the only way to solve it.

I'm starting to think about Catalina, even though I am more than happy with Mojave.

llihp

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2011
My Mac Mini 2018 just started doing this yesterday. It has been working fairly flawlessly, but after unplugging the machine yesterday it is now rebooting itself after a couple of minutes of being asleep.

When I log back in I get the crash report dialog detailing the 210 error.

I'm confused as to why it has suddently started happening though, as I installed the security updates ages ago.

TomM1

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2017
My Mac Mini 2018 just started doing this yesterday. It has been working fairly flawlessly, but after unplugging the machine yesterday it is now rebooting itself after a couple of minutes of being asleep.

When I log back in I get the crash report dialog detailing the 210 error.

I'm confused as to why it has suddently started happening though, as I installed the security updates ages ago.

Yes, for me, it started happening after I had unplugged to move the mini to another location.
But the issue is now gone as I have stopped using Safari. However I unchecked "enable power nap" under energy savings at the same time so it is not exactly a controlled Safari experiment.

Nymunariya

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2020
Germany
my Mac Mini arrived on 25 May (new from Apple) as a work from home computer (more/less replacing my 2011 MacBook Air). Ever since I got it, I've had intermittent panics with Mojave (fresh install, downloaded from Apple, direct to 10.14.6, on a new partition/container). Every so many days, it crashes when I try to put it to sleep.

I do use Safari daily though (even when it doesn't crash), often exclusively. I do have Edge installed, but I only use that when I have to interact with facebook.

Here's an overview of the panics I've had since getting it. I love how the first panic was within hours of it arriving.

Datecaused_bymacos_versionmacos_system_statebug_typeos_version
2020-05-25bridgeos(not included)shutdown210Bridge OS 4.4 (17P4281)
2020-05-27bridgeos(not included)shutdown210Bridge OS 4.4 (17P4281)
2020-06-01bridgeosMac OS X 10.14.6 (18G103)sleep210Bridge OS 4.4 (17P4281)
2020-06-03bridgeosMac OS X 10.14.6 (18G103)sleep210Bridge OS 4.4 (17P4281)
2020-06-09bridgeosMac OS X 10.14.6 (18G5033)sleep210Bridge OS 4.5 (17P5300)
2020-06-10bridgeosMac OS X 10.14.6 (18G5033)sleep210Bridge OS 4.5 (17P5300)
2020-06-19unknownMac OS X 10.14.6 (18G5033)running210Bridge OS 4.5 (17P5300)
2020-06-22unknownMac OS X 10.14.6 (18G5033)running210Bridge OS 4.5 (17P5300)
2020-06-24bridgeosMac OS X 10.14.6 (18G5033)sleep210Bridge OS 4.5 (17P5300)

I put my mini to sleep every night before bed, and the panic is right after putting it to sleep, like within seconds it'll do the boot chime (of course I reenabled that). It doesn't happen every night though, just enough to annoy me. I typically don't restart or shutdown, just sleep, or relogin after a panic.

I also have the problem of static after wake over the hdmi port. It doesn't seem to happen over USB-C (to HDMI) But on the hdmi port (using two monitors) it's still about every other wake (and every panic?)

As much as I'd love to update to Catalina and use all the wonderful new features, I can't, because I need my 32-bit apps. I'm literally doing what Apple recommends for those who need 32-bit apps and am still reminded every day to upgrade to Catalina, despite already having a Catalina partition/container!

oppastopa

macrumors member
May 25, 2019
Amazing how apple is continuing to ship out messed up Mini's. Imagine purchasing a brand new Mac and its filled with bugs out of the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.