Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scschulte1

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2020
So this issue started on 24 March 2020 with the Apple Security UpDate 2020-002 for Mac OS 10.14.6 Mojave-- and now some 6 weeks later still no resolution here??? I find that incredible! Isn't there someone who we can contact on the telephone or something? Sending in all these reports has had zero result for me.

Not letting my Mac sleep for now -- but this is not the real solution! Don't want to move to 10.15.x Catalina because I'm afraid things may be worse!

Any comments really appreciated.

Best regards,

Steve Schulte
Wednesday 6 May 2020

Reactions: linrey and Hessel89

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
OK little update again: Installed Mojave 10.14.5 -SU3 Beta on a clean partition and while it does update the T2 chip to Bridge OS 4.5 (Firmwareversion: 17P55274c) It still crashes while sleeping (Bug_type 210). It's only a beta so there's still hope for the final version.

howdytom

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2020
So far I still have not heard back from my Apple Bugreport. I do not have a developer account. I guess macOS 10.14.5 update will primarily address hanging when copying large files.
[automerge]1588800646[/automerge]

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
So this issue started on 24 March 2020 with the Apple Security UpDate 2020-002 for Mac OS 10.14.6 Mojave-- and now some 6 weeks later still no resolution here??? I find that incredible! Isn't there someone who we can contact on the telephone or something? Sending in all these reports has had zero result for me.

Not letting my Mac sleep for now -- but this is not the real solution! Don't want to move to 10.15.x Catalina because I'm afraid things may be worse!

Any comments really appreciated.

Best regards,

Steve Schulte
Wednesday 6 May 2020
Have you read any of the rest of this thread? Apple does not respond to bug reports that you send in so stop expecting that.

Even if no longer covered by AppleCare, you are entitled to free support if an OS update causes a problem. Go to the support page and schedule a call. When you are called, a tech will go through it—hopefully, you can generate one. If he/she can't see it, an engineer will look at it and you will get another call. They like to schedule these a week apart.

You will be told to pull some offending (fill in the blank here) out of your system. Sometimes it's old crap but it can be a piece of freeware that is no longer compatible or...?

When it's gone, the crashing and reports will stop. In my case, the Launch Services Database was corrupted by this conflict with Bridge OS 4.4. Rebuilding it fixed the 6–10 minute reboot after the crash problem was fixed.

Catalina may fix this for many users but it doesn't for others. There are other threads about the Catalina 10.15.4 update doing the same thing.

This go-round was not my first. The OS 10.8.2 update so totally screwed up my iMac that it took hours to identify and remove the offending crap and incompatible system files.

I could give you a list of everything over the years but why? Quite likely that none of it is on your system.

The next time you get one of those crash reports, click on Show Detail. Now click-drag to highlight every line (you can't Select All, unfortunately) and Copy. Now open a Text file and Paste. Label it with the date and Save. This way, if you can't reproduce the issue with a tech viewing your screen, there's still something to send to an engineer.

The problem is the Security Update (Mojave and High Sierra) or the 10.15.4 Update + Bridge OS 4.4 + ??? It's the ??? that needs to be diagnosed.

Apple knows that removing 3 of 4 .kxt files fixed the crashing (I put the other back with no harm). They don't know that rebuilding the Launch Services Database fixed my long boot time problem—I'll tell them tomorrow at 4pm when I get my 5th follow up call.

I will also send in a today's crash report on my 2012 MPB (Catalina 10.15.4) to see what that's all about.

shadowfax--

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014
HK
How is your Mac mini now? Did you let your Mini sleep through the night? And I mean actually sleeping. Did it crash ever since?
[automerge]1588511678[/automerge]

Safari has nothing to do with it. I tried not using Safari for a couple days, same problem.

May be it doesn't work for everyone, but my mini (running Mojave) hasn't crashed for a straight 8 days already since I stop using Safari (and changed default brower to be not Safari too)

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
May be it doesn't work for everyone, but my mini (running Mojave) hasn't crashed for a straight 8 days already since I stop using Safari (and changed default brower to be not Safari too)

That's great that it works for you. Did you let your Mac Mini sleep at all or did you disable sleep or simply don't use it?

Last edited:

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
When it's gone, the crashing and reports will stop. In my case, the Launch Services Database was corrupted by this conflict with Bridge OS 4.4. Rebuilding it fixed the 6–10 minute reboot after the crash problem was fixed.

You say that this fixed the crashes but are you on Mojave or on Catalina? Are you using sleep at all?
And are you even on a Mac mini? Sorry to ask but not all T2 Mac models seem to be affected.

I'm asking all this because I literally completely wiped my Mac mini (gave up on using it for work) and reinstalled MacOS Mojave completely without any third party software or plugins on it, and I rebuilt the Launch Services Database, yet the problem is still there. Heck, I already got the message as soon as my Mac rebooted in sleep minutes after MacOS was reinstalled.

Last edited:

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I have an issue with a new i5 I never let it sleep. I have 14.5.3 os. I run a screen saver and use safari for the most part.
Some nights while running the screen saver it crashes and reboots. I have very little attached to the unit. Some simple passive usb/cardreader hubs. A mouse and a keyboard.

Reactions: Hessel89

zazoob

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2015
Stopped using Safari for three days in a row, no more bridge OS kernel panics on my iMac Pro at boot time. It worked for me.

zackeous42

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2020
Almost three weeks ago I started getting random crashes and then anytime I started up I was getting the error message upon boot. Because all of this was happening some files became corrupted, so after backing up what I hadn't already backed-up prior during routine, I did a full wipe of the drive and clean install of Mojave. I immediately downloaded firefox and installed, kept it as default and just as before, I've never had any of the sleep settings on. The reason being is I've had nothing but problems with my USB-C peripherals since switching to the 2018 Mac mini last fall. My Universal Apollo audio interface stops working if the mac goes to sleep so I disabled that function long before this security update issue. I've since did complete shutdown if I wasn't going to use the Mac within 6-8 hours.

Anyway, I was curious if anyone else has had actual crashes in addition to the errors on boot? I'm sitting here a few days post wipe and fresh install and I've already had 2 crashes while I was doing something completely innocuous and not demanding on the computer's resources.

This is frustrating as I've had nothing but bad luck with my music recording computers for the past 8-9 months, meaning I'm not getting much work done on albums I've wanted to record this summer. The way Covid-19 has interfered with my daily life has compounded it (I'm already stressed out from being a caretaker for someone with developmental disabilities). It's just so annoying investing my money into this machine and it be so much more unreliable than my 2011 Macbook and 2013 iMac. The specs blow my older stuff away, but what good is that if I can't use the damned thing reliably?

zazoob

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2015
Almost three weeks ago I started getting random crashes and then anytime I started up I was getting the error message upon boot. Because all of this was happening some files became corrupted, so after backing up what I hadn't already backed-up prior during routine, I did a full wipe of the drive and clean install of Mojave. I immediately downloaded firefox and installed, kept it as default and just as before, I've never had any of the sleep settings on. The reason being is I've had nothing but problems with my USB-C peripherals since switching to the 2018 Mac mini last fall. My Universal Apollo audio interface stops working if the mac goes to sleep so I disabled that function long before this security update issue. I've since did complete shutdown if I wasn't going to use the Mac within 6-8 hours.

Anyway, I was curious if anyone else has had actual crashes in addition to the errors on boot? I'm sitting here a few days post wipe and fresh install and I've already had 2 crashes while I was doing something completely innocuous and not demanding on the computer's resources.

This is frustrating as I've had nothing but bad luck with my music recording computers for the past 8-9 months, meaning I'm not getting much work done on albums I've wanted to record this summer. The way Covid-19 has interfered with my daily life has compounded it (I'm already stressed out from being a caretaker for someone with developmental disabilities). It's just so annoying investing my money into this machine and it be so much more unreliable than my 2011 Macbook and 2013 iMac. The specs blow my older stuff away, but what good is that if I can't use the damned thing reliably?
No, I have not had any other crashes/reboots while using the computer for video editing. Being an iMac I have 8 external drives with a mix of Thunderbolt and USB3 connections. I can't ever put this Mac to sleep! It always wakes up a minute later, yet when I am in Bootcamp in Windows 10 it goes to sleep for hours without a problem. Does that tell us something?

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I never turn it off. I never let it sleep. But I do use safari. I did manual password loading from old mac mini . I did not copy files as the old mac mini has stuff as old as 2006 in it. I really tried to keep my 1tb internal drive empty. I have 946gb free of 1tb. It appears to crash if I don't sign off safari browser when I go to sleep.

I did copy the kernel and I get a thunder bolt adapter issue. I think. my 2 usb 2 and 2 sd min sd reader to a usb-c/thunderbolt port is doing this. I have nothing in the adapter. I will be going to sleep and leaving mini turned on. Only chrome and finder will be open.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Sorry to ask but not all T2 Mac models seem to be affected.
Why in the world do you keep thinking this?

Six weeks of 2+ hour conversations with Apple Engineering has taught me that. Any T2 Mac can be affected and it is not Mojave specific—same as the USB 2 Audio Interface bug that was fixed with OS 10.14.4. How and if a particular machine is affected depends on the conflict.

The Bridge OS crash report is only the symptom of the problem. It can and should be used to identify the real problem as was done in my case.

Last year's Security Updates caused similar problems on 50 Macs that I service (out of over 350) running High Sierra —iMacs, McBooks, MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs. None had T2 chips and there were no crash reports. Rebuilding the Launch Services Database fixed those machines which is why I tried it on my iMP.
[automerge]1589125610[/automerge]
and now some 6 weeks later still no resolution here???
My issue is completely resolved. Apple Engineering now knows that, after the conflicts have been removed, rebuilding the Launch Services Database may be necessary.

They also suggested clearing the Boot Cache by reinstalling the OS — except that I had reinstalled the OS three times, twice before this ordeal and once after—so they concluded that was not part of my issue. It does explain why a Catalina upgrade may fix this for many. It didn't work for me, though. I installed Catalina on an external drive after disabling the T2 security without fixing this.

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

Six weeks of 2+ hour conversations with Apple Engineering has taught me that. Any T2 Mac can be affected and it is not Mojave specific—same as the USB 2 Audio Interface bug that was fixed with OS 10.14.4. How and if a particular machine is affected depends on the conflict.

The Bridge OS crash report is only the symptom of the problem. It can and should be used to identify the real problem as was done in my case.

Last year's Security Updates caused similar problems on 50 Macs that I service (out of over 350) running High Sierra —iMacs, McBooks, MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs. None had T2 chips and there were no crash reports. Rebuilding the Launch Services Database fixed those machines which is why I tried it on my iMP.

My issue is completely resolved. Apple Engineering now knows that, after the conflicts have been removed, rebuilding the Launch Services Database may be necessary.

They also suggested clearing the Boot Cache by reinstalling the OS — except that I had reinstalled the OS three times, twice before this ordeal and once after—so they concluded that was not part of my issue. It does explain why a Catalina upgrade may fix this for many. It didn't work for me, though. I installed Catalina on an external drive after disabling the T2 security without fixing this.

I'll take 'can be affected' on faith, but I can say that not all T2 Macs running Mojave will be affected. My 2018 13" MBP has never had as much as a hiccup running Mojave.

Reactions: Hessel89

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
but I can say that not all T2 Macs running Mojave will be affected. My 2018 13" MBP has never had as much as a hiccup running Mojave.
I can say the same thing. In my case, I know.

According to Apple almost no one is affected. I have no reason to doubt them. A few thousand people—including fewer than 100 on MacRumors by my count. That's a microdot in the user base. It doesn't mean the problem isn't real and can't be fixed.

But, so you are aware. There was a major USB interface issue with T2 Macs and Mojave .0 through .3. It was well publicized in all the trades and everyone "knew" it was the T2 chip. You weren't affected? Well, you had to own an interface from one of certain manufacturers. My interfaces are made by companies that weren't affected so I was lucky. Because of that, there was no way I was buying an iMac Pro not covered by AppleCare.

In this case, the support would have been the same except that I was offered a replacement at no charge which I turned down.
I'll take 'can be affected' on faith
Why would your beliefs matter if you aren't affected and you cannot contribute to the conversation?

This isn't about you.

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands

Because your signature says you're on an iMac Pro.

I'm happy for you that your Mac's problems got solved by simply rebuilding the Launch Services Database, but this doesn't add much value to this thread tbh, as for most of us this simply does not solve the problem.
I do get where you're coming from though; The iMac Pro and the 2018 MBP have T2 chips too.;-)

You're right in saying the The Bridge OS crash report is only a symptom of the problem though.

The fact that this mostly seems to happen on Mac Mini's, seems to point toward a problem in the specific architecture of the Mac Mini 2018, and not necessarily the T2 chip.
The T2 chip may only be acting as a supervisor in this scenario, where based on a certain inputs it gets from sensors on the motherboard, it decides to reboot the system.

[automerge]1589204948[/automerge]

Update: Just Installed MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 SU 3 Beta 4.

Crashes during sleep seem less frequent but unfortunately still happen.

error report still mentions "macos_system_state":"sleep''

Last edited:

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
The fact that this mostly seems to happen on Mac Mini's,
Says who? Not Apple.

error report still mentions "macos_system_state":"sleep''
That's the result. You have to click on View Details to see the cause.

What does Apple say about this? You don't know because you haven't asked them.

The support call is free. Until they have examined that crash report and told you why, you don't know the cause.

The time you've spent contradicting me could have been used to solve your problem. I've told you how—only thing left is for you to go to Apple Support and schedule the call. I suggest that you stop posting in this thread until you have some actual information.

After all, my problem is fixed; yours isn't. I'm done here and will no longer read nor respond to anything in this thread.

Good luck.

Last edited:

TETENAL

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2014
I have the same problem with my Mac mini. Crashes in sleep.

This is ? annoying.

It's hard to believe that Apple wasn't able to fix this after six weeks now. It's not some minor cosmetic issue or something.

MrMuetze

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2013
Same problem happening to my Mac mini :( I don't really want to update it to Catalina just yet, but I might have to to get rid of this issue ...

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The solution to "when I put the Mini to sleep, it crashes when I wake it up" is...

... DON'T put it to sleep. Just let it sit "at idle". You CAN put the display to sleep, or switch it off.

If it doesn't sleep, it won't wake up, and less chance of a crash.

The difference in power usage between the Mini "idling" and "sleeping" is... next to nothing.

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
The solution to "when I put the Mini to sleep, it crashes when I wake it up" is...

... DON'T put it to sleep. Just let it sit "at idle". You CAN put the display to sleep, or switch it off.

If it doesn't sleep, it won't wake up, and less chance of a crash.

The difference in power usage between the Mini "idling" and "sleeping" is... next to nothing.

Instead of just blurting out stuff, it would have been nice if you actually provided a way to do so.
But for those who wanna try, here you go:

Open Terminal, Type:

sudo pmset -a sleep 0; sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0; sudo pmset -a disablesleep 1;

And use this for reverting to normal.

sudo pmset -a sleep 1; sudo pmset -a hibernatemode [original hibernatemode value]; sudo pmset -a disablesleep 0;

For me personally it does not work. This was actually one of the first steps I (and many others) undertook. If it actually worked this thread wouldn’t be alive.

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
This is not a solution. That's a workaround.

True, but a workaround can still fix a problem though. I do not let my mini sleep and I have zero issues (and I am running Mojave with the latest update). In regards to @Hessel89 request:
  1. Go to System Preferences.
  2. Go to Energy Saver.
  3. Check "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off".
  4. Uncheck "Put hard disks to sleep when possible".
  5. Uncheck "Enable Power Nap".
I also have "Turn display off after" set to Never.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.