Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadowfax--

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014
HK
I've been working with Apple a few weeks on this now. They've recommended removing a number of .kext libraries — none of which has resolved the issue other than I no longer get crash reports with those .kext files in them.

Boot time still 6–10 minutes.

The 4 that Apple wanted to blame were old versions of PACE (iLok), NIGuitar Rig, Soundflower and the current version of Avira antivirus. Removing the first three did not affect functionality as they were old and the current versions are stored somewhere else. I'm ok living without Avira for now.

Good for you but FIWN (frankly, it's worth nothing) as it has nothing to do with this issue.

Among things that have been tried are a complete wipe and clean install of the OS and the Apple apps. Problem still there.

So I restored from a TimeMachine backup that predated the security update—again no change.

I have yet another appointment day after tomorrow.

Nice to know someone is working with Apple on this annoying issue.

BTW, I checked my mac mini and I have none of the above mentioned .kext libraries but still I do have the same problem as everyone did.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
BTW, I checked my mac mini and I have none of the above mentioned .kext libraries but still I do have the same problem as everyone did
Yep. Exactly!

The tech had me remove them one at a time but he knew after the first reboot that we were on the road to nowhere. Still, I know that if we didn't try every suggestion, my case would get shuffled to the bottom of the pile.

So I wonder — what will happen on Friday?

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
Good for you but FIWN (frankly, it's worth nothing) as it has nothing to do with this issue.
You left out the rest of that post "FWIW I view cloning the system partition as "necessary" for all three of our macs but maybe not "sufficient" on our one Mac with a T2. For my 2018 Mini I add another step -- wait awhile."

Obviously you didn't "wait awhile" to update your Mac with a T2. But I did. And my 2018 Mini has been, and still is, working just fine.

BTW Thanks for posting your saga. It sounds like Apple doesn't know how to fix this yet. So I'll keep waiting :(

GetRealBro

linrey

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
Silicon Valley
I too have this problem after installing the security update. There are multiple threads on Apple forums about this problem. I've spent a couple of hours talking to Apple techs yesterday and today - and it's a total waste of time. They all have a script of things to try - ALL of which have been dead ends. Users have tried everything, and only ONE SOLUTION has appeared; Apple replaced the motherboard.

Dan on IFIXIT says this;
"Bridge OS 3.3 is the code that runs on the T2 micro processor. You’ll need to get your system to Apple to get the logic board replaced as Apple did have a bad run of T2 chips, you clearly got one of these. Sorry ;-{

Your system should still be under AppleCare warranty. I would strongly recommend you get the upgrade to AppleCare+ when you get your system serviced to be safe."

We all await a response from Apple. I'm sure they've received a ton of the startup crash reports - my latest went out to them an hour ago.

Last edited:

wayne_rowley

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2019
Bournemouth, UK
My Mac Mini is out of warranty. I don’t buy AppleCare (I don’t buy any extended warranties unless there is a critical need). Historically Macs have always been reliable, but I know that all kit can break. But that is not what has happened here. My Mac was working perfectly. I installed an update and now I get regular errors related to that update. That’s not a failure - that’s poor quality software.

I will not be paying Apple to fix their own error! If there are some ‘dodgy T2 chips’ then either they need to recall and address for free, or deal with it via a software update.

Wayne

linrey

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
Silicon Valley
I'm with you Wayne - they broke it, they fix it. I just hope the "fix" isn't only going to be in a Catalina upgrade! Mojave has critical 32-bit software that runs just fine, so Catalina is not in my future - for a while anyway.

MacWorld78

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2012
I think Apple's employees who work from home - it is more likely to have bugs due lack of hardcore testing. I just hope this would be fix by next software update.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Obviously you didn't "wait awhile" to update your Mac with a T2. But I did. And my 2018 Mini has been, and still is, working just fine.
Why you think one has anything to do with the other is beyond me. This affects a small number of users and Apple hasn’t figured it out yet.
My Mac Mini is out of warranty. I don’t buy AppleCare (I don’t buy any extended warranties unless there is a critical need). Historically Macs have always been reliable, but I know that all kit can break. But that is not what has happened here. My Mac was working perfectly. I installed an update and now I get regular errors related to that update. That’s not a failure - that’s poor quality software.

I will not be paying Apple to fix their own error! If there are some ‘dodgy T2 chips’ then either they need to recall and address for free, or deal with it via a software update.

Wayne
Well, good for you, I guess. Please don’t break your arm patting yourself on the back because you’r not going to bla, bla, bla...

You see, this has happened before and there was no way I was kicking down all that money without making Apple own any tech issue that came up for 3 years.

Everybody knew that the USB2 audio interface problem was the fault of a few T2 chips even though some audio interface makers were not affected (including MOTU) and Apple took in many under warranty. Everybody turned out to be wrong including Apple. Mojave 10.14.4 fixed the problem and it hasn’t reoccurred.

This is more of the same. I know that but my time is valuable and my patience is wearing thin. if, at some point, I decide to say, screw this, they send me another iMac Pro—they’ve already offered.

wayne_rowley

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2019
Bournemouth, UK
Well, good for you, I guess. Please don’t break your arm patting yourself on the back because you’r not going to bla, bla, bla...

You see, this has happened before and there was no way I was kicking down all that money without making Apple own any tech issue that came up for 3 years.

Everybody knew that the USB2 audio interface problem was the fault of a few T2 chips even though some audio interface makers were not affected (including MOTU) and Apple took in many under warranty. Everybody turned out to be wrong including Apple. Mojave 10.14.4 fixed the problem and it hasn’t reoccurred.

This is more of the same. I know that but my time is valuable and my patience is wearing thin. if, at some point, I decide to say, screw this, they send me another iMac Pro—they’ve already offered.

I get where you are coming from. I'm also a musician - I use Logic and and UAD Arrow with my mini - and I'm familiar with the T2 USB issue (one reason I have the Arrow). But I'm a hobbyist, not a pro - my income is not dependant on that activity. If it was I would probably take your stance and get the AppleCare (hence my caveat of 'critical need').

By profession I'm a software engineer (well used to me, I manage a team now) - so I understand that bugs are an unavoidable consequence of writing software, and we try to catch them before releasing, but aren't always successful.

That's partly why I'm so frustrated - I just don't see Apple owning this, or taking responsibility. Even if Apple offered to replace my motherboard for free and I accepted (taking aside the hassle of having to rebuild my system afterwards) I have no confidence or guarantee that the same thing wouldn't happen the next time I update (and I would have to eventually I'm sure). Swapping hardware to fix a software issue may pacify some customers in the short term, but it's not the correct solution if the problem is software related.

I think it took them nearly a year to fix the T2 audio issue, and a year later something similar happens. The error on my Mac Mini is annoying, but the Mac is usable. I can be patient and give Apple time to address this. Bugs can take time to track down if they are intermittent and you don't know how to reproduce the error.

My frustration with Apple is the direction they are going. Their focus is clearly on phones, iDevices and services. Their Mac platform is becoming less like a computer and more like these devices. A system that is getting more and more locked down (creating lots of 'fun' for 3rd party audio hardware and software developers). A T2 in every Mac (once the new iMac comes out), that is beyond an IT literate home user to maintain or service, making a computer a closed box that must go back to Apple if things go wrong. Needing to take AppleCare on everything because of that.

When I got my Mini a year ago I looked hard at moving to Windows. I didn't because I like Mac OS X, I like Logic Pro X, and it would be time consuming to learn Cubase and migrate all of my projects. This issue and Apple's direction a year later make me question the wisdom of my decision.

Let's hope they fix this soon!

Wayne

Reactions: Hessel89

Robert Visscher

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2020
First of all, thanks to the guys who are really working on this problem. It's really annoying. Same problems for me started a few weeks ago and didn't especially notice in the first place.

However, yesterday my mac mini 2018 suddenly shut down and didn't wake up anymore. No respons to the power button at all. So, I called apple and got it serviced. Apparently, they restored the T2 firmware and it started again. But my happiness didn't last long, because currently I still have these problems. It's randomly rebooting, certainly when going to sleepmode but it also just happend while I was reading this forum.

Does anyone already have a fix for this?

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Well, I gave it some thought this evening and fixed it on mine.

Last year, there were security updates for High Sierra that wouldn't run— around 50 of the iMacs and MacBooks I service weren't shutting down properly after running the App Store update — but the stand alone updater would crash. Eventually, I stumbled upon corruption of the Launch Services database. Rebuilding it and running the standalone updater fixed me up.

This afternoon, I thought, six minute reboot after an Apple Security Update ... what if it's the same damned thing? Well guess what?

Here's how to rebuild the Launch Services in Mojave and High Sierra:

1. Open Terminal and run these commands (Copy and Paste) then hit Enter or Return after each line.

2. sudo /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -seed -lint -r -f -v -dump -domain local -domain system -domain user -domain network

3. your Admin password

4. killall Dock

5. sudo mdutil -E /

6. Restart your Mac

Robert Visscher

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2020
I have tried the rebuild, but still my mac mini is randomly shutting down. The pointer is freezing and than a few seconds later it restarts. The crash reports shows the same notification of BridgeOS 4.4 ...

Anyone the same problems? Currently still using safari, I will give that a try too.

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
Well, I gave it some thought this evening and fixed it on mine.

Last year, there were security updates for High Sierra that wouldn't run— around 50 of the iMacs and MacBooks I service weren't shutting down properly after running the App Store update — but the stand alone updater would crash. Eventually, I stumbled upon corruption of the Launch Services database. Rebuilding it and running the standalone updater fixed me up.

This afternoon, I thought, six minute reboot after an Apple Security Update ... what if it's the same damned thing? Well guess what?

Here's how to rebuild the Launch Services in Mojave and High Sierra:

1. Open Terminal and run these commands (Copy and Paste) then hit Enter or Return after each line.

2. sudo /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -seed -lint -r -f -v -dump -domain local -domain system -domain user -domain network

3. your Admin password

4. killall Dock

5. sudo mdutil -E /

6. Restart your Mac

How is your Mac mini now? Did you let your Mini sleep through the night? And I mean actually sleeping. Did it crash ever since?
[automerge]1588511678[/automerge]
Currently still using safari, I will give that a try too.

Safari has nothing to do with it. I tried not using Safari for a couple days, same problem.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
The crash reports shows the same notification of BridgeOS 4.4 ...
When I deleted the offending kexts, I still had the problem but there were no more crash reports.

I then reinstalled Avira since it was the current version. The others went back to Snow Leopard. Didn't affect the problem but still, no more crash reports.

I will spare you the many ours of back and forth between Apple and me but, long story short, those crash reports are telling you something. Have Apple look at them and explain.

I figured out what was happening here only because I had seen this before. The symptoms were different last year (and there were no crash reports) and I was guessing it might be the same basic issue — but I guessed correctly.

Here's my best guess: Only T2 Macs are generating crash reports and it's because of the Bridge OS. It's a symptom and not the real problem—a red herring, if you will. But the crash reports are telling us what interfered with the 10.15.4 update and the security update in Mojave.

So, deal with the symptoms and make the crash reports go away. Apple is good at identifying the conflicts so make them do that. An OS update gets free support so schedule a call and get a real person to own your issue.

Rebuilding the Launch Service Database does no harm but, if the issue that corrupted it is still there, it can't do any good either.

Make no mistake. Last year's and this year's updates were Apple's fault. They should have been robust enough to go in without screwing up. Ok? Now it's time to get over it and get your machines up and running. Constant posts about blaming Apple won't fix anything. MS has been trying to get Win10 in shape for 4 years now so that clown car awaits if you want to go there.

Frankf300

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2006
NY
Can add my machine to the list also. Had held off on updates for a bit and just did the Safari 13.1 and Security Update 2020-002 the other night. Come back to my Mac mini 2018 to find the "Your computer was restarted because of a problem." window. Used the computer as I normally would for a while and didn't notice any other issues. Shut it down and then cold started the next day and sure enough there was the error message again. I have found that the Safari issue does make the problem disappear on my machine. If I do not open Safari the whole session, shut down and cold start I will not get the crash report. I also performed the process described above by mikehalloran. This unfortunately did not do anything for me and still the only way to not get the crash report is to not open Safari. So for now I am using Chrome, and I submitted a lengthy note to Apple on the macOS feedback form. I figured the more feedback they get on it the better, because this is far from a solution. Safari is my preferred browser and although this works for the time being I don't think it's acceptable to have to switch from the native Apple browser just to make our machines run as intended. My machine ran perfect prior to this.

Last edited:

Frankf300

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2006
NY
UPDATE: I was trying to avoid this, but it seems to fix the issue on my mini at least. Got everything ready to revert back to Mojave if I found any issues with Catalina and decided to go ahead with the Catalina upgrade. Everything seems to be working fine using 10.15.4. Used Safari, shut it down and cold booted and had no issues. Seems to be waking from sleep just fine also. Catalina supports all programs and hardware that I use so unless I find any serious stability issues looks like I'll be sticking to it.

shambo79

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2012
Same boat. I only bought mine (i7 3.2Ghz 512GB 32Gb Ram) 3 weeks ago new from Apple. I downgraded to Mojave as many issues with Catalina on other machines. Installed the security update on the mini and the problems began. I was about to get a refund, machine was totally unreliable. AppleCare suggested I install Catalina, Hate to say it but it’s been rock solid. Apple should really fix this problem on Mojave, but if this is a T2 problem with Mojave I think it will be way down their list of priorities. They needed to sort Catalina which has been a **** pit from the start. I had so many problems on another machine that was afraid to update it and left it on. 10.15.3. I’ve never experienced so many Kernel Panics with an OS. I think they will sort Catalina probably on the final update!

Reactions: Frankf300

Robert Visscher

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2020
Well, same here. Yesterday 7 crashes on 1 day with Mojave. This morning I updated to Catalina and no crashes so far.

If this seems to be the fix than it’s okay for me to step over to Catalina.

Reactions: Frankf300

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
I'm running a 2018 Mac Mini 3.2 i7 / 32GB aftermarket ram. It is connected to a Blackmagic eGPU and running Catalina 10.15.4 (19E287)

Last week, for the first time in over a year of stable use of the machine the mac mini powered down.

I was working on on javascript when the screen went black and the light on the mini went off.

I let it go but it just happened again which brought me to this thread. Is this the same experience others are having?

I had to pull the power cable on the mini, put it back in and then press the power button. It comes back with no note about a problem.

How do I check the console logs to see if this issue is the same as those presented in ITT?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Well, same here. Yesterday 7 crashes on 1 day with Mojave. This morning I updated to Catalina and no crashes so far.

If this seems to be the fix than it’s okay for me to step over to Catalina.
Wondering whether this is specific to a certain batch of the T2 chips or whether it's really randomly endemic with Mojave. Not sure we have the data to do more than guess, unfortunately.

Reactions: Hessel89

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
Wondering whether this is specific to a certain batch of the T2 chips or whether it's really randomly endemic with Mojave. Not sure we have the data to do more than guess, unfortunately.

That's what I wonder as well. If all 2018 Mac Mini's were affected, wouldn't this have gotten more attention?

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
That's what I wonder as well. If all 2018 Mac Mini's were affected, wouldn't this have gotten more attention?
We don't know how many 2018 Mini owners have not had a problem because they haven't applied the Mojave 2020-002 security patch.

GetRealBro

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Wondering whether this is specific to a certain batch of the T2 chips or whether it's really randomly endemic with Mojave.
There is no evidence that there is a problem with the T2 chip In fact, I never suspected it which is why I turned down the replacement as I stated in my original post—I wanted this fixed. As far as I can tell, the issue is this and last year's security updates.

The T2 controls a number of security protocols that other Macs do not use. Something about the security updates is not being properly vetted during beta and when they encounter certain conditions (in my case, certain old kexts), the Bridge OS sends up crash reports.

The 50 or so Macs that gave me grief last year were all school district computers except for my wife's two. None have T2 chips and there were no crash reports. Rebuilding the the Launch Service Database fixed those. Since one of my symptoms was a 6–10 minute restart, I guessed it would work on my iMP — and it did.
[automerge]1588732178[/automerge]

Last edited:

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I had to pull the power cable on the mini, put it back in and then press the power button. It comes back with no note about a problem.
How do I check the console logs to see if this issue is the same as those presented in ITT
There are certain issues where Apple recommends pulling the power cable such as during an SMC Reset. If there's no power there can't be a console log but they are time stamped—you can scroll back to just after the Mini received power.

It is highly unlikely that this is related. The Bridge OS 4.4 error shows up in the first line of the crash report.
If I do not open Safari the whole session, shut down and cold start I will not get the crash report.
But if you do get the crash report, contact Support, schedule the call and have a human being look at it. They will do this and get back to you. Resetting the Launch Services happened only after there were no more crashes and no more reports. Apple did help me with that. I'm pretty good at those but would have missed two of those .kxt files since they were contained in wrappers whose names I didn't know.
[automerge]1588733430[/automerge]
We don't know how many 2018 Mini owners have not had a problem because they haven't applied the Mojave 2020-002 security patch.

GetRealBro
Hmmmm... I know of many that did without a problem. People have reported this with the iMac Pro (me) MacBook Pro (154 pages in another thread and counting) and Mac Pro 7.1. All have the T2 chip.

The affected updates were the Mojave security update, High Sierra security and Catalina 15.4.

What caused it for me — Soundflower 2.0.2, PACE with support for Snow Leopard and Lion, IKGuitarRig 2.0? Don't kno; don't care. Getting rid of them stopped the crashes a week before I rebuilt the Launch Services and solved the reboot problem.

Anyway, I'm done here unless I have actual news to report from my next call with Apple.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.