Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hershey52

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2022
Melbourne Australia
I have stumbled into the situation that Mojave won´t install with the GT630 card also. Error message in the installer reads "unable to install macOS Mojave on this Mac because metal capable graphics required" or similar.
As I just wanted to get the flash bootloader updated and installed Catalina (now Ventura) later, I used an ATI metal card just for that.
To the OP: If you do not really need the old 32bit App compatibility (that Apple ended after Mojave), I'd also advise to use OCLP with Monterey i.e.
Much more hassle free especially with the Nvidia GT630 - even if it's a metal capable Kepler version.
Thank you. However, I have no idea what OLCD means. Also, I just need to upgrade to Mojave which is apple last support for the 5,1 so I can run Protools 20223/3 at 64bit.

Hershey52

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2022
Melbourne Australia
So, please take a picture of the error message or we will never progress to anything.

Enable the installer log with CMD-L and press CMD-3 to show all messages.

There are several different failures, if you don't help narrowing down, you will get nowhere.

From your answer, seems that you didn't understood what I'm talking at all…

Do you even know for sure that the SSN that About My Mac shows, YM035056EUE on your screenshot, is the same as the one factory printed on the ESN label that is located on Mac Pro case near the video card outputs?

If is the same serial as the factory printed on the ESN label, the BootROM data was tampered since a replacement backplane will always have a different SSN or no SSN at all. Second hand backplanes always have the SSN from the Mac Pro case where the backplane originates. Apple bought replacement backplanes have no serial number at all and is the technician that will use a special Apple software called Blank Board Serializer that will write the Mac Pro case Serial Number to the blank backplane after the backplane is installed to the Mac Pro case.

Did you really checked it as you wrote on the first post here? The backplane seller asked you for the Mac Pro SSN?

If you read all of them you would know that you can't install from a createinstallmedia USB installer with a NVIDIA Kepler GPU:

Your NVIDIA GT 630 is a NVIDIA Kepler GPU and you can't clean install Mojave from a USB createinstallmedia installer. You will always need to install from macOS to a secondary (and already prepared) disk.
So how come with my Nvidia GT 630 metal card designed for Mojave and Catelina did my first install work no problems for a year until I change the damaged mother board ?

Hershey52

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2022
Melbourne Australia
If you elaborate where an instruction is unclear, folks around here are happy to clarify. They just have to know about it.

So, during the install of the system you can display information which should be helpful to determine why it fails.
When you have started the install process:
CMD-L means: press the "cmd" key together with the "L" key
CMD-3 stands for "cmd" key together with the "3"

It should look sth like this:
Thank you have read this
ingosx.com/2018/02/show-the-installer-log-during-high-sierra-installation/[/URL]
Thank you for your help, I understand.. Mike
@Hershey52
as a reader of this thread , there are some very patient and knowledge people on here , but I have to say "you have made your bed and now have to lie on it "

I am amazed that you have taken this attitude to others
I came to this forum to seek advice as I was told it’s the best. I am amazed that you have no compassion and cannot see my side of this frustration when I am chastised and patronised by only one person.

Everybody else except you, has been kind and helpful and I have responded with helpful and positive answers. As a Vietnam Veteran I will not take verbal abuse from anybody and if you have nothing positive to say, please don’t say anything.

Hershey52

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2022
Melbourne Australia
So, please take a picture of the error message or we will never progress to anything.

There are several different failures, if you don't help narrowing down, you will get nowhere.

Do you even know for sure that the SSN that About My Mac shows, YM035056EUE on your screenshot, is the same as the one factory printed on the ESN label that is located on Mac Pro case near the video card outputs?

If is the same serial as the factory printed on the ESN label, the BootROM data was tampered since a replacement backplane will always have a different SSN or no SSN at all. Second hand backplanes always have the SSN from the Mac Pro case where the backplane originates. Apple bought replacement backplanes have no serial number at all and is the technician that will use a special Apple software called Blank Board Serializer that will write the Mac Pro case Serial Number to the blank backplane after the backplane is installed to the Mac Pro case.

Did you really checked it as you wrote on the first post here? The backplane seller asked you for the Mac Pro SSN?

If you read all of them you would know that you can't install from a createinstallmedia USB installer with a NVIDIA Kepler GPU:

Your NVIDIA GT 630 is a NVIDIA Kepler GPU and you can't clean install Mojave from a USB createinstallmedia installer. You will always need to install from macOS to a secondary (and already prepared) di
OP have lots of time to call me condescending and patronizing, but almost a day later, no picture of the macOS installer log error message…
Dear Sir

I am sorry, I didn’t mean to offend you. I am very grateful for your experience and expertise.
I am trying my best, but my knowledge of my Mac Pro stills are very limited. So if you can forgive me, I will try my best to get the log installer to you asap.

Sincerely,
Mike

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
@Hershey52
as a reader of this thread , there are some very patient and knowledge people on here , but I have to say "you have made your bed and now have to lie on it "

I am amazed that you have taken this attitude to others
I think more patience was needed from the people trying to help. Instead of insisting the OP isn't following their instructions explicitly. Yeah I get it, it's frustrating, but clearly as stated from the OP they are a beginner. Even without them stating that, it's clear enough they are not an advance user, and shouldn't be looked down upon if they don't get it instantly or respond as expected.

I'm sure if the OP wants a solution they will follow the advice given, and provide the needed input.

Hershey52

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2022
Melbourne Australia

Your NVIDIA GT 630 is a NVIDIA Kepler GPU and you can't clean install Mojave from a USB createinstallmedia installer. You will always need to install from macOS to a secondary (and already prepared) disk.

In terms of any error log when I press CMD-L on my keyboard, all that happened was that command only made an alias of my time machine back up drive, and put it on my desktop. When I pressed CMD-3 nothing happened.

Sincerely
Mike

Hershey52

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2022
Melbourne Australia
I think more patience was needed from the people trying to help. Instead of insisting the OP isn't following their instructions explicitly. Yeah I get it, it's frustrating, but clearly as stated from the OP they are a beginner. Even without them stating that, it's clear enough they are not an advance user, and shouldn't be looked down upon if they don't get it instantly or respond as expected.

I'm sure if the OP wants a solution they will follow the advice given, and provide the needed input.
Thank you for your support. I have apologised to the first respondent in question for any mis understanding and hope that we can continue to find a solution to my Mac 5,1 issues. They are still on going.

Reactions: orionquest

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Start the Mojave install:

Screen Shot 2022-12-28 at 20.43.41.png

Accept the agreement:

Screen Shot 2022-12-28 at 20.43.59.png

After the install starts, you can show the macOS installer log pressing CMD-L:

Screen Shot 2022-12-28 at 20.44.20.png

After you press CMD-L, the macOS installer log will be displayed:

Screen Shot 2022-12-28 at 20.44.37.png

Now press CMD-3 to show all messages/errors/logs:

Screen Shot 2022-12-28 at 20.44.50.png

After that, wait for the failure and take a picture of the log and any error messages that can be displayed.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
If the failure happens after the first macOS installer reboot, when the black screen with the progress bar is displayed, do what @arw linked to you before:

Screen Shot 2022-12-28 at 20.55.59.png

Reactions: arw

Hershey52

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2022
Melbourne Australia
Hey have written ur commands below and will get on to it asap.

1. Start the Mojave install:
2. Accept the agreement:
3. After the install starts, you can show the macOS installer log pressing CMD-L:
4. Now press CMD-3 to show all messages/errors/logs:
5. After that, wait for the failure and take a picture of the log and any error messages that can be displayed.
6. If the failure happens after the first macOS installer reboot, when the black screen with the progress bar is
displayed, do what @arw linked to you before:

Thanks again
Mike

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Hey have written ur commands below and will get on to it asap.

1. Start the Mojave install:
2. Accept the agreement:
3. After the install starts, you can show the macOS installer log pressing CMD-L:
4. Now press CMD-3 to show all messages/errors/logs:
5. After that, wait for the failure and take a picture of the log and any error messages that can be displayed.
6. If the failure happens after the first macOS installer reboot, when the black screen with the progress bar is
displayed, do what @arw linked to you before:

Thanks again
Mike
Hope it works, if you are in sydney, and it does not... I am on the north shore google me, I can sort it out for a small fee, no worries
cheers Andrew Mac Guru Consulting Turramurra

Reactions: Hershey52

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Why don't you just install Mojave on another machine, grab the sata SSD you installed it on and put it into your Mac Pro? You can find machines that run Mojave very easy and cheap now.

evbtfre56

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2020
Reading this thread, I hear/see a few layers:

1. the OP wants to install an unsupported OS (Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, or Ventura)
2. the OP has updated their machine to the latest boot rom, so they do not need to complete those steps again
3. the OP replaced the logic board, which could result in new technical issues/barriers for installing unsupported OS
4. the OP is using a Kepler GPU, which is compatible but requires an alternate installation process

Comments on the above, and perhaps there are more...
1. Mojave does not run well on Mac Pro 5,1 with OpenCore, so the OP should instead install Catalina or Big Sur
3. Logic board may or may not cause new issues, consider if errors after following correct procedures
4. installing via USB will not work with Kepler GPU so alternate installation steps are required for the OP

So, I wonder if the OP's next steps are:

1. Install OpenCore with an appropriate config file that tells the installer the Mac Pro 5,1 is an iMac Pro
2. Restart the machine and boot High Sierra
3. Download and run an unsupported macOS installer, select a new partition (do not try to upgrade High Sierra)

I anticipate to edit/amend the steps above based on feedback from others

evbtfre56

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2020
PS, I completed this process a few years ago, and it was incredibly time consuming/frustrating to troubleshoot issues. Installing an unsupported OS on a 5,1 is not as straightforward as other unsupported devices, because the hardware is from 2008... Sympathies to anyone going completing the process or providing technical assistance. I could not have upgraded my 5,1 without the technical advice of folks like @tsialex on this forum. Thank you very much, my 5,1 with Vega 56 seems to perform just as well as my new 2022 Mac Studio (yes I know, studio's specs are better...). Cheers.

Reactions: Hershey52

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Reading this thread, I hear/see a few layers:

1. the OP wants to install an unsupported OS (Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey, or Ventura)

Mojave is fully and officially supported by Apple with mid-2010 and mid-2012 Mac Pros upgraded to METAL supported GPUs. Why you are calling it unsupported?

Also, why even cite Ventura here?

I'm sure that you know that Ventura currently won't work, and probably won't work for some time, with a MacPro5,1. Just because someone got it "running" with a page of disclaimers/caveats doesn't mean that you can also get it running or that the final result will be anything meaningful for your workflow.

2. the OP has updated their machine to the latest boot rom, so they do not need to complete those steps again
3. the OP replaced the logic board, which could result in new technical issues/barriers for installing unsupported OS
4. the OP is using a Kepler GPU, which is compatible but requires an alternate installation process

Comments on the above, and perhaps there are more...
1. Mojave does not run well on Mac Pro 5,1 with OpenCore, so the OP should instead install Catalina or Big Sur

Mojave runs perfectly with a correctly upgraded Mac Pro. If it's not even installing, something is definitely wrong with the hardware.

3. Logic board may or may not cause new issues, rule out correct process first

Without correctly diagnose what is/are happening, that no one knows yet, since the error messages were never posted here even with all requests, the OP will go nowhere.

The first thing that should be done after the backplane replacement was to run AHT, or ASD, jumping steps is what got the OP in this mess.

4. installing via USB will not work so alternate installation steps are required for the OP

Alternate installation why?

Mac Pro have its own peculiarities, you have to master it.

Selecting another disk or upgrading a previous macOS install are both official methods of installation, sanctioned by Apple.

Btw, today with modern Macs, to install via USB createinstallmedia is not the primary method of macOS installs and Apple moved long ago from USB installers as the primary media for installing macOS.

So, I wonder if the OP's next steps are:

1. Install OpenCore with an appropriate config file that tells the installer the Mac Pro 5,1 is an iMac Pro
2. Restart the machine and boot High Sierra
3. Download and run an unsupported macOS installer, select a new partition (do not try to upgrade High Sierra)

I anticipate to edit/amend the steps above based on feedback from others

Is just wrong to recommend this for a beginner.

If you can't run Mojave for reasons yet unknown, you gonna install an unsupported macOS release and have even more problems/complexity?

Even if the unsupported macOS install magically works, who is gonna support it when things fail at the first SoftwareUpdate?

Last edited:
Reactions: arw

Hershey52

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2022
Melbourne Australia
If the failure happens after the first macOS installer reboot, when the black screen with the progress bar is displayed, do what @arw linked to you before:

Mojave is fully and officially supported by Apple with mid-2010 and mid-2012 Mac Pros upgraded to METAL supported GPUs. Why you are calling it unsupported?

Btw, why even cite Ventura here? I'm sure that you know that Ventura currently, and probably won't work for some time, with a MacPro5,1

Mojave runs perfectly with a correctly upgraded Mac Pro. If it's not even installing, something is definitely wrong with the hardware.

Without correctly diagnose what is happening, that no one knows yet, since the error messages were never posted here even with all requests.

The first thing that should be done after the backplane replacement was done was to run AHT, or ASD, jumping steps is what got the OP in this mess.

Selecting another disk or upgrading a previous macOS install are both official methods of installation, sanctioned by Apple.

Btw, today with modern Macs, to install via USB createinstallmedia is not the primary method of macOS installs and Apple moved long ago from USB installers as the primary media for installing macOS.

If you can't run Mojave for reasons yet unknown, you gonna install an unsupported macOS release and have even more problems/complexity?

Even if the unsupported macOS install magically works, who is gonna support it when things fail at the first SoftwareUpdate?
From the OP

I did manage to install Mojave using a patch, however, as stated when I later installed the Apple update it crashed, and I have not been able to reinstall Mojave since.

To compound the issue, I now cannot even start my machine and re install the High Sierra w hitch is backed up with Time Machine as my machine will not recognise my Bluetooth Keyboard or my usb Mac keyboard or my usb mouse which until an hour ago were ALL working fine.

So I apologise to all who have tried with all your expertise to help.
I now have a machine that’s bullet proof…ie can’t get in …am very sad

evbtfre56

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2020

Also, why even cite Ventura here?

I'm sure that you know that Ventura currently won't work, and probably won't work for some time, with a MacPro5,1. Just because someone got it "running" with a page of disclaimers/caveats doesn't mean that you can also get it running or that the final result will be anything meaningful for your workflow.

Without correctly diagnose what is/are happening, that no one knows yet, since the error messages were never posted here even with all requests, the OP will go nowhere.

The first thing that should be done after the backplane replacement was done was to run AHT, or ASD, jumping steps is what got the OP in this mess.

Thanks @tsialex for replying and clarifying, that makes good sense. I don't usually chime in with questions/suggestions for a reason, lol. I've installed Catalina on my Mac Pro 5,1 so I think that is the only way. The problems I encountered over the years that I ran Mojave/Catalina on my 5,1 were not following the steps correctly, having issues with OC config parameters, and using unsupported NVMe/GPU, so my intuition goes there. I also replaced my logic board and everything is ok, but I am not familiar with problems/issues that can arise from those. Glad you and others are able to help the OP and others who read this thread with similar reasons. Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.