Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gfiore

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2020
Posted in another thread, but you might find this video interesting - the embedded video below will take you to the relevant point re: noise on base M1 Max Studio

Gary makes a good point about potential dust build up in the Studio as well (given that it will be constantly pulling air in from the bottom and pushing out the back) however time will tell if that becomes an issue

kultschar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
Any Studio vs 2018 Mac Mini (Intel) comparisons?

I must admit my Synology server drowns out any noise regardless

Vaibye

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2022
https://soundcloud.com/j-beck-969050046%2Fultra-1330rpm
For who are curious about the noise of Mac studio, I am attaching the recording file. I simply recorded it an iPhone voice memo. It was recorded directly above the unit (near the Apple logo), not in front of the exhaust

It's a bit boosted, but it sounds similar enough in my work environment that's about two feet away from unit

The noise issues I've experienced so far in Mac studios are different from fan volume. As you can see from the attached file, it has a high pitch resonance. This may not be a problem for everyone, but it is certainly quite annoying for some

AdamSeen

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2013
For who are curious about the noise of Mac studio, I am attaching the recording file. I simply recorded it an iPhone voice memo. It was recorded directly above the unit (near the Apple logo), not in front of the exhaust

It's a bit boosted, but it sounds similar enough in my work environment that's about two feet away from unit

The noise issues I've experienced so far in Mac studios are different from fan volume. As you can see from the attached file, it has a high pitch resonance. This may not be a problem for everyone, but it is certainly quite annoying for some

Yeah, that doesn't sound particularly great. For comparison, this is the Mac Pro 2019 blower fan which sounds better than that: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6n3wbtz3vv5stkk/MacPro2019-Blower_on.m4a?dl=0

Last edited:
Reactions: George Dawes

Jrshelby

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo, NY

Try putting a silicon canning ring between the surface and the Mac studio. I did this because it was sliding aroun but I think I’d does just enough to isolate the max audio. I have a weird noise from time to time. not sure how to describe it. A bit of coil whine mixed with squeaky fan bearings.

SmallDane

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2014
Denmark

That sounds like coil whine. Definitely annoying!

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
Interesting... is it possible the folks who are experiencing "noisy" Mac Studios are getting vibration-induced noise in whatever their Studio is sitting on?

I've been thinking adding a little height with feet under the Studio would not be a bad idea, as it would keep the air intake further above the level of surface dust. Mine is going in a Machine Closet, so noise won't bother me, but rubber feet to stop skidding plus raising the level a bit sounds like a winner.
From my experience with a humming 2011 27" iMac (see #185 in this thread) the first thing I'd try on a Studio that's humming is put some damping material between the computer and whatever it's sitting on. The fix might be that easy/inexpensive. Won't fix honest-to-bog fan noise (moving air around), but can help deal with noises due to mechanical vibration which are a major source of humming.

macca24

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2020
I don't think it's a design fault, more like discrepancies in quality of the fan builds. Does anyone know if they are the same make fans on all the units? It just seems pot luck if you get a noisy unit or not, I wonder what Apple will say about it if a lot of studios are being returned.

yukari

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2010
I have MacFan Control on Mac Studio. It shows fan speed around 1200 rpm.
It is very quiet. Much quieter than 2018 15" MBP which has idle fan speed around 2000 rpm

Apple2GS

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2016
US of A

That is similar to what mine was doing. I returned it. Without knowing the cause I wouldn't want to buy a new one, as it could start this behavior after the return period. I doubt it would be covered under warranty.

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
The moving air sound is fine, but the higher pitch sounds to me like a bad bearing, possibly dry not greased properly. We can't be certain when the fan was manufactured and the type of grease used and if it hardened due to temperature, humidity, etc. This sound is typical of a tired bearing, that needs a bit of grease... but once it starts making that noise, it is too late... the bearing is worn already, and you can only temporarily cure the sound by grease, prity soon it will be dry again. Some cheap fans make that sound from the start no matter what.

Random_Matt

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2022
More worried about dust, no filters at a minimum is a bad decision. My gaming rigs always get dusty fast and could clean them. Starting to think the MacBook pro would have been a better choice, dust destroys electronics.

AdamSeen

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2013
Just crawled underneath my desk to verify: You need to put your ear right next to the exhaust on the back to hear it like that, right?

No - It really depends on the ambient noise of your room. That's how it sounded to me in 25dB room, slightly more gain there than I heard at the sitting location, though. But not far off.

AdamSeen

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2013
I think that sounds pretty good. I had to turn my iMac's speakers half way up to barely hear it and yet he says he measured it right close to the logo. It's like putting your ear near the computer. It doesn't sound high pitched to me either.
Just to confirm, my recording there was of the Mac Pro - not the studio. I've made my post clearer as to not confuse.

sfoxy

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2011
I have MacFan Control on Mac Studio. It shows fan speed around 1200 rpm.
It is very quiet. Much quieter than 2018 15" MBP which has idle fan speed around 2000 rpm

Is that with Fans set to auto, i.e. controlled by the system? Because if so, that's odd, as everyone else here (including me) have it around 1320 as standard when the system is controlling. 1200 is much better tan 1320 when it comes to noise.

nathaniom

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2015

Just to add my Ultra makes the same sound. The moving air noise is fine, although I wish the fan curve was lower but the high pitched noise is quite annoying. Debating returning it.

AdamSeen

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2013
What I don't understand - Who has ever bought a Mac that doesn't run at idle speeds when it is idle? Why is it running at 1,300 as opposed to its base of 1,100? A bug?

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
More worried about dust, no filters at a minimum is a bad decision. My gaming rigs always get dusty fast and could clean them. Starting to think the MacBook pro would have been a better choice, dust destroys electronics.
How easy is it to pop open the MBP and clean the dust from its fans?

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013

That whine noise would have me sending it back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.